Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
Thank you for that illustration.

What I was trying to ask is if they are taught how to hold a pen or pencil?
I don't think they are .

I think even back in the UK the teachers in my son's class stayed away from it .

There were a a lot of kids that hold their pencils backwards if you know what I mean ?

My eldest son has had terrible problems with his handwriting ,when we arrived he wrote in beautiful British Cursive ...had to revert back to basic printing -THEN learn American style cursive !!

I can't even read American cursive without straining my eyes ,way too many confusing loops lol !

Here (at my son's school ) if the handwriting is missing a bit of a loop( or what not ) in a spelling test ,they will mark the word spelled incorrectly and grade down
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:30 am

Isabel_7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can remember a left handed friend having to sit on her hand so as to hold the pencil correctly in her right hand. Thank goodness those days have gone.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isabel_7
I can remember a left handed friend having to sit on her hand so as to hold the pencil correctly in her right hand. Thank goodness those days have gone.
I think Prince William is a lefty. FWIW
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:58 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
They said the same thing happened to a woman and her baby..aweful!!..
I saw that too, it was awful. There has been a lot of news about both Brazil and Australia. They were discussing climate, concerning all these weather problems, and said that 9 of the hottest years on record have occurred in the last 10 years! So weird!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
FANTASTIC!!!!!! Now on with the rest of your life
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Floods and rain I hear ya, but in our area it is earthquakes seems like daily.
Well then - as you are acclimated to earthquakes and aftershocks, you won't mind the turbulence on the plane when you fly back home! That is the main reason I hate flying - really hate it. (Sorry Barb, I know that you work for the airlines at the moment).
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Well then - as you are acclimated to earthquakes and aftershocks, you won't mind the turbulence on the plane when you fly back home! That is the main reason I hate flying - really hate it. (Sorry Barb, I know that you work for the airlines at the moment).
I do love flying I have to say except for the awful boredom especially on the UK trip of 24 hours plus from Australia.

But taking off I get such a buzz!!

And when I am driving to work near the airport and a jumbo flies overhead I get really excited LOL!!

I think I have jet fuel in my bloodstream.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hightide,

Are you interested in making some extra money from your story of buying the house because if so there is a TV company that would be interested in talking to you. The companies name is HGTV and the show/production is called Homes International. I think thats enough information for you to google.
I saw on another forum that they would like to contact people who are moving internationally and buying a home.
I watched one program last night which showed a young family moving from London to Sweden. Their budget I think was $225,000 and they got a 2 bed apartment.
I think there are other posters who maybe interested in what they have to offer. If you find out anything pass it along to us all.
I just remembered you can get an idea of the show on YouTube.
In your case they can reconstruct your experience.
Just an idea I thought I would pass along.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Yea I get to see some real wet English rain live from London at Abbey Road.

Share with me!

http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

Where is everyone? Are the pubs open this early?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:52 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yea I get to see some real wet English rain live from London at Abbey Road.

Share with me!

http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

Where is everyone? Are the pubs open this early?
Some of us work for a living, you know. (Gotta go, here comes the Boss)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question that most people on here can answer.
When you went to school in the UK weren't you taught penmanship? I'm asking because it seems that in the US there is no instruction? We were told in the UK to hold our pen so that the end is pointing over your shoulder and held by the thumb and index and middle finger.
I watch all ages of people in the US and it is weird the way they hold a pen or pencil and its held in every which way.
This is funny you ask this, but I was taught it in the UK, but i know for a fact here my children were not and my 18 year old can not hold a pen properly at all, I have tried for years to change it but I am afraid to say I never really noticed what she was doing til she was about 9 or 10 and weird as it seems she cant change now. Just cant hold it "properly".
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh my God. How heartbreaking.

I've seen barely a mention of it here. As usual American news is all about America and nothing else.
I was trying to find news on TV last night, not a thing, and so had to look online, not seen one mention of the floods on the new here NH, I have to say not glued to the TV all the time, but do try and watch the news. Everything has been about the Tuscon shootings.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I remember doing "research" on emigrating to Australia, it consisted of a train trip to read a newspaper in the main library in Liverpool and a booklet from Australia House with very misleading information about the weather!!

It said it had a mild warm climate and didn't get cold, God I wish I still had that booklet!! So in my "wisdom" I got rid of all heavy blankets and stuff, then had to buy them when we got here plus in the winter buy electric blankets!! Mind you I was probably reading up on the wrong state!!

Looking at the weather we have had here this past few weeks would make anybody think twice about emigrating here, it seems to be torrential rain and floods everywhere except where I am, I am getting out before it hits New South Wales!!
Barb I remember when I
emigrated to Australia, I was 19 I really didn't care about learning too much info about life there, at the time, all I could think of was the wonderful adventure that I was about to embark on, The Job that sponsored my £10 Pom trip was Melbourne Tramways, I was a tram conductor there, anyway the only little brochure they sent me in England before I left was about the Job and the pay and hours and the company pension amount after 40 years of service
Of course the internet was not yet invented in 1965, and here we are all these years later and even people of our age who were not brought up on computers like they are now ---- we dont know what we would do without them, I ddidn'tbuy my first computer uuntil11 years ago, but the month that I spent over here not having my own laptop at home felt really weird to me,
I used to sit from 6pm till 9pm just gazing but not interested in all the back to back night time soaps my Mum has got into the habit of watching for the last 50 years since they started ccoronationstreet, and me well these soaps are not my cup of tea ----- so when they come on thats the time I just walk over to the table and get on my laptop ---- and Im as happy as a sand boy, Hmmm just what the heck is a sandboy anyway?
Rodney.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

With ya Rod.
Me wife is in the other room, family room, watching drama and I'm in the Office, Library, Study on the computer for too many hours but I love the access to so much information.

Rod, have you done anything interesting so far today? Or do have something scheduled.

Cheers
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally off topic - but I have no idea how to resolve this situation. In this little flat my clothes are stored in a portable wardrobe, made from polyester fabric. The label on it says not to wash, just wipe with a damp cloth. I did that, but still cannot remove the smell of the curry that the previous tenant cooked a lot of in this flat. I wondered why my jacket - in particular - smelled so awful, so I have been airing it instead of putting away in the wardrobe. But I have no place else to store my clothes at the moment. So - does anyone have a miracle curry smell remover that is not chemical? Help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.