Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've taught my kids the correct way to eat too. table manners are important,
I though I had also, but I see my children who are 37 & 40 and they are gobbling food like they haven't eaten for three weeks. They shovel in big gobs full of food. Why? I try to correct them but they get indignant. Its like commenting about a persons driving. Know what I mean? My son assures me he eats differently in public.[/COLOR]
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I was told that the reason that they eat that way dates back to the days of wagon trains and the Wild West.
Since there wasn't the luxury of such things as dining tables they ate sitting on the ground or standing up and holding the plate with one hand and the utensil in the other.
It sounds as logical as the reason why Brits drive on the "wrong" side of the road.
I used to volunteer at a Living History Museum in West Chicago, run by the museum in Chicago. I was a docent for the Summer Kitchen, where I had to tell people about the cutlery/lack of cutlery. In wagon train days, knives were a premium item, and each wagon had only one. There was a shortage of forks, too, but enough spoons. So I am guessing that from those days people learned to eat in (what we in the UK regard as) a peculiar way, and (DDL can interject here if she cares to) it has stayed that way. I have shared meals with Americans in the north (WI and MN) who have alternately licked their bowls (!), pushed food onto the fork with their fingers instead of using the knife, and - best of all - picked their teeth with the point of the knife (steak knife preferred). In public, or at home - made no difference. Top that!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK confession time...............

I will drink from a bowl because it is faster than using a spoon. I only do it at home. (how rude) I wonder why I haven't been invited to the Palace?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Re: I need to hear good things about the UK

Picked from another forum

charity shops (in general)

The British Library

public transportation

Cox's orange pippins and Bramleys

toasted tea cakes and proper scones

Christmas cake with marzipan

robins (the little cheeky guys)

tea in a pot and not a tea bag flung in a mug and nuked!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I have shared meals with Americans in the north (WI and MN) who have alternately licked their bowls (!), pushed food onto the fork with their fingers instead of using the knife, and - best of all - picked their teeth with the point of the knife (steak knife preferred). In public, or at home - made no difference. Top that!
I'd have been gagging at the teeth picking one
Old Jan 14th 2011, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Totally off topic - but I have no idea how to resolve this situation. In this little flat my clothes are stored in a portable wardrobe, made from polyester fabric. The label on it says not to wash, just wipe with a damp cloth. I did that, but still cannot remove the smell of the curry that the previous tenant cooked a lot of in this flat. I wondered why my jacket - in particular - smelled so awful, so I have been airing it instead of putting away in the wardrobe. But I have no place else to store my clothes at the moment. So - does anyone have a miracle curry smell remover that is not chemical? Help!
You could buy a box of large-sized plastic trash bags, put the head of a hanger through each one, tape it closed around the top for reuse, put garment in, rubber band around the bottom. Might work?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
You could buy a box of large-sized plastic trash bags, put the head of a hanger through each one, tape it closed around the top for reuse, put garment in, rubber band around the bottom. Might work?
Thanks - I ended up dismantling the fabric part and dumping outside for now. Using the frame as a drying rack! Clothes stored in kitchen cupboards and back in suitcases.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Thanks - I ended up dismantling the fabric part and dumping outside for now. Using the frame as a drying rack! Clothes stored in kitchen cupboards and back in suitcases.
I can't remember ,are you heading for somewhere else soon ?
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I was told that the reason that they eat that way dates back to the days of wagon trains and the Wild West.
Since there wasn't the luxury of such things as dining tables they ate sitting on the ground or standing up and holding the plate with one hand and the utensil in the other.
It sounds as logical as the reason why Brits drive on the "wrong" side of the road.
I was recently informed that the Brits drive on the right side..every one else is wrong..and its all because Henry Ford put the steering wheel on the left side of the Model A..lol..
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I can't remember ,are you heading for somewhere else soon ?
No way! Just trying to make my one room living more comfortable.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
All those good books and poems people read these days are written on a computer, so yes I totally agree with you Sally, when your typing --- your words and Ideas and feelings and emotions are coming from our brain and all these Ideas are just flowing out and they have to be caught quick, dictation is the best into a recorder, but typing into a computer is a real close second, and I would definitely say that writing the words down with a pen or pencil would be a definite third in these days of so much wonderful technology,

changing the subject I walked back into Comet where I bought my laptop a couple of days ago and purchased a really nice printer/copier/scanner all in one, its made by HP and it only cost £32 including 20% VAT and that was not a sale price, so I love it,

And talking about that best selling book that Anna was going to write, Hmmmm has anyone seen it on the book shop shelves yet? ---- com on Anna we are all wondering how your doing its been a while since you posted, are you still in Malta or have you made it back to England yet, have you found that rich bloke yet?
Barbara in Sydney is still looking for her Millionaire dream man, she thought she found him too when John Travota flew in on his private Jet a few months ago --- but unfortunately he was taken :frown:
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Bee if you find one, ask him if he has a brother for me..
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

No way! Just trying to make my one room living more comfortable.
Oh ,lol ...well it sounds like you are .

I would also contact the landlord ,see if he could provide a new hanging space (like the one you have)they are not expensive and if you rented it furnished ,he really should
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

In America I hated any kind of soap, in England however even though they are a little more natural and like everyday living then the superficial type of American day time soap where all the female stars look like a barbe doll with all the makeup & all plastered on, and all the males looking like a young Roger Moore in the Saint without a single strand of hair out of place,
Interesting though that all the soaps in US come on in the day time and all the soaps in UK come on in the night time,
But Im afraid most of the stars in the UK soaps wouldn't be able to get a Job on an American soap unless they had plastic surgery first, Ohhhhhh that was a terrible thing for me to say
But I read in the paper that Emerdale gets 17 million viewers every night so they must be doing something right, but I really do feel that most of the people over here who watch there soaps every night religously are addicted to them, you should see my Mum if she forgets the time and turns on the TV 5 minutes after the program has started she gets really irritable.
Ha Ha Rodney, and you have hit the nail on the head why I love Corrie, they are REAL people short, tall, fat, thin, good looking and very ordinary looking. If you get into Corrie you will see that it has humour, and that's what for me makes it stand out above the others IMHO.

My family all went to my nephews place for Christmas Day and on the photos they sent the TV is on and they are all watching Corrie, kids and all LOL!! He has one of those big plasma's on the wall and it looks like Ken and Deirdre are in the living room with them.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Denise I have always found it amusing on how all Americans hold there knife and fork, especially when they eat a steak or anything that they need to cut, they hold there fork in there left hand like a dagger (full fist grip and they stab the steak whilst cutting a portion off with the knife in there right hand ---- then for some reason they switch hands and the fork is now in there right hand with the piece of steak on it and the knife is laid down on the plate, then they chew & swallow, and then they transfer the fork from right to left and the whole thing is repeated --- for about a dozen times until the steak is finished,
Now to me that looks like a lot of darn work just to have dinner, ---- now as we all know the way the Brits eat is quite simple and to us of course the correct way to eat, ---- Fork in left hand and Knife in right hand, and thats where they stay until the meal is finished, ---- we dont put em down until were all done,
Take care me dear,
Rodney.
PS Denise dont think Im picking on you cause Im not, just pointing out the different traditions between the two countries.
Yes I have always thought the American way of using cutlery is exhausting, I wonder why they don't keep it simple like us?

Edited to add:

Just read Rosie's explanation about the wagon trains, very interesting and logical. So are Americans the only nation that use cutlery in this way? I have never even thought about this subject before LOL!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 14th 2011 at 7:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.