Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
With ya Rod.
Me wife is in the other room, family room, watching drama and I'm in the Office, Library, Study on the computer for too many hours but I love the access to so much information.

Rod, have you done anything interesting so far today? Or do have something scheduled.

Cheers
Well I was going to go out today and take a bus down to baffins pond, and then on to the canoe lake and feed the pigeons but its raining quite steady and cold and the wind is blowing ---- so Hmmmmm When I get up tomorrow I will see what its like, Mum is out at her club with her friends for a few hours, but she has her car so she dont get wet,
Rodney.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well I was going to go out today and take a bus down to baffins pond, and then on to the canoe lake and feed the pigeons but its raining quite steady and cold and the wind is blowing ---- so Hmmmmm When I get up tomorrow I will see what its like, Mum is out at her club with her friends for a few hours, but she has her car so she dont get wet,
Rodney.
Wet or not still better than Las Vegas
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:50 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Totally off topic - but I have no idea how to resolve this situation. In this little flat my clothes are stored in a portable wardrobe, made from polyester fabric. The label on it says not to wash, just wipe with a damp cloth. I did that, but still cannot remove the smell of the curry that the previous tenant cooked a lot of in this flat. I wondered why my jacket - in particular - smelled so awful, so I have been airing it instead of putting away in the wardrobe. But I have no place else to store my clothes at the moment. So - does anyone have a miracle curry smell remover that is not chemical? Help!
yuk. If it were me, I would box up the one that belongs to the flat, and buy a cheap one for my own use. Then when you move out, replace it with the old one. I don't think you will get the smell out.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Rodney.
It was a grey day here this morning - then the skies opened and a huge deluge began - which lasted no longer then 10 minutes, now back to drizzle. Glad I went out when I did - bought some bed linens, some from the Age UK and Heart Foundation shops, some from Millers Homestore who have a sale on sheets this week. Now I am all set.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Totally off topic - but I have no idea how to resolve this situation. In this little flat my clothes are stored in a portable wardrobe, made from polyester fabric. The label on it says not to wash, just wipe with a damp cloth. I did that, but still cannot remove the smell of the curry that the previous tenant cooked a lot of in this flat. I wondered why my jacket - in particular - smelled so awful, so I have been airing it instead of putting away in the wardrobe. But I have no place else to store my clothes at the moment. So - does anyone have a miracle curry smell remover that is not chemical? Help!
Could you buy a new one (you could always use it later, even for storing stuff in your attic), and pack up the smelly one under your bed? Or even ask the landlord to replace it? Some LL's are pretty reasonable ... never hurts to ask.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:52 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I've seen barely a mention of it here. As usual American news is all about America and nothing else.

Well, it is the greatest nation in the world.(She said, tongue firmly planted in cheek.)
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:04 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
I have a question that most people on here can answer.
When you went to school in the UK weren't you taught penmanship? I'm asking because it seems that in the US there is no instruction?
Cheers, I'm 56 years old and remember well being taught penmanship when I was in school. I absolutely loved it ~ and luckily have very beautiful handwriting. Cashiers at the shops used to always compliment me when I would write out a check.

My 3 young grandsons in school in the US are also learning penmanship but it's a bit different than it used to be. Now, they teach them a form of printing first that has "looped tails" at the end of every letter - which, when they are ready to learn what Americans call "cursive" writing, makes the transition very easy, they just hook up the letters. Hope I'm explaining this correctly. I think it's called "Denelian", the process they teach in school, at least in the area of South Carolina where I lived.

I watch all ages of people in the US and it is weird the way they hold a pen or pencil and its held in every which way.
ha ha And I haven't seen any penmanship here in England that I would consider attractive or even legible! But Cheers, it's like everything else: there's good handwriting and bad handwriting no matter where you are.

Now, I won't even get into the way people in the UK hold a knife and fork! (But I've always held my utensils that way. My grandfather was from Austria and he ate the "European" way and somehow or other I picked it up as a little girl.)

Last edited by DDL; Jan 14th 2011 at 12:20 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:07 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I can't even read American cursive without straining my eyes ,way too many confusing loops

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What one person thinks is good handwriting, another person can't read without straining their eyes.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Hi Rosie

Try a little cat litter in a container at the bottom of the wardrobe.

Valerie
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:10 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by charleygirl
This is funny you ask this, but I was taught it in the UK, but i know for a fact here my children were not and my 18 year old can not hold a pen properly at all, I have tried for years to change it but I am afraid to say I never really noticed what she was doing til she was about 9 or 10 and weird as it seems she cant change now. Just cant hold it "properly".

Wow, D, I can't imagine a school system not teaching handwriting! Where did they go to school and in what grades because they would quit teaching it probably in 5th grade or so.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll put my hand up and say my handwriting is the most appalling mess that even I can't read But seriously ... when do we ever write anything anymore? I write for a living and I rarely need to hand write. It's made my writing even worse than it used to be. Future generations will write even less than we do. It's a dying art.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:19 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Well I'll put my hand up and say my handwriting is the most appalling mess that even I can't read But seriously ... when do we ever write anything anymore? I write for a living and I rarely need to hand write. It's made my writing even worse than it used to be. Future generations will write even less than we do. It's a dying art.

It is indeed a dying art Sally, and I for one am sorry to see it go.

I love to write (by hand) and always have. Can't explain why, I just do. I'm the one who always offers to address the wedding invitation envelopes for my friends when their children get married, etc.

Handwriting to me is soothing and comforting ~ the way, I suppose, that something like knitting is to other people.

I always love to hear about famous authors who still choose to write by hand ~ no computers or anything else.

And can you imagine for one moment writing a love poem on a COMPUTER? No way.

Timely topic as just this morning on my Facebook page I said that on today's To Do list was to write some long overdue letters. I've got the cards and pen right here by my side but I'm here on British Expats instead.

Long live the pen ~ and beautiful penmanship!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What one person thinks is good handwriting, another person can't read without straining their eyes.
My husband is an American ,I think he would agree with you .
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely can see how handwriting could be relaxing and enjoyable if you're good at it, just like any other creative art.

Originally Posted by DDL
And can you imagine for one moment writing a love poem on a COMPUTER? No way.
Yup! I honestly can't imagine writing any other way. Good writing is more about editing than it is the initial writing and a computer just makes that so easy to do - you can save past versions to compare, you can keep moving things around until you get it just right ... so many advantages. I think the art of writing is really the art of thinking - Wordsworth would have been just as good a thinker with an iMac as he was with a quill - and he'd probably have had time to write more poems!

When I hear of those authors who write by hand, I always think about the poor minion has to come in and get all the scrawl on to the computer, and then do it all again and again each time the author has scratched edits all over it.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
CANCER FREE EVERYONE!!!!
OMG!!! WOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry for not spotting this when I briefly logged on yesterday. I'm horribly jet-lagged as I've just flown from Singapore to JFK (23hrs 50 mins flying time...) then had to get from JFK to New Jersey....huge amount of snow at JFK and was surprised the plane was able to land...I was in the air when you got your wonderful news.

What a great start to the New Year for you Ldyinlv/Jackie - and here is a huge congratulary ((((((hug)))))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.