Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I so much agree, I think America has its daily stress and worry, People in the Uk only seem to worry about where they will be going on Holiday next.
Yes your right Fish, a lot of Americans do worry a lot, well they do I suppose have a lot to worry about though especially if there living from pay check to pay check like so many are, and not being able to pay for there company health insurance, and only getting a week or two paid vacation every year,
But over here people are really happy go lucky, I suppose it helps if you are getting 5 or 6 weeks of lovely paid holiday every freaking year

I always thought that of the Americans when I first got there and for the first say 10 years, they always seemed to me you know laid back, but gradually over the years and now it seems that it has done a compleat turn around,
OK now where can me and Mum go for our next Holiday? better save our pensions --- if theres anything left over
Take care Fish,
Rodney.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
We've had a good day!

Actually slept-in (until 10am!) for the first time since we've been back (5 months now). Tony's mum is on holiday in America so we have the house to ourselves.

We got our groceries at Tesco this morning. For you number crunchers:

£1.87 for a 6-pack of Pepsi Max
£0.58 for a small Tesco brand Steak Pie in flaky pastry
£0.74 for a 6-pack of Hovis crumpets
£0.98 for a small bag of Tate & Lyle sugar
£3.00 for mouthwash
£1.15 for a loaf of Hovis bread
£2.50 for toothpaste
£9.18 for Centrum 50+ vitamins (60 tabs)
£3.70 for BBC Homes & Antiques magazine

We came back home and put the groceries away, then went out for lunch at the new Harvester (chain) pub that opened up recently on the High Street (which, like most others, is "pedestrianised" or should that be spelled with a "z" ??). Not a terrific experience - think they are still working out the kinks with regard to service, but it was okay. Tony had sausages and mash, and I had a grilled chicken breast w/jacket potato and peas. We each had tap water, and I think our bill was around £12.

Then..........we went to the cinema and saw "The King's Speech". OMG. It was absolutely brilliant. In fact, as the final credits started to roll, the audience broke out into applause. It's a wonderful film and if you haven't seen it yet, I highly, highly recommend it. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOSlzo

Curious about cinema prices?

£8.60 regular seating cinema ticket
£10.30 VIP seating cinema ticket (larger chair, more legroom, reserved seating)
£11 for 2 regular soft drinks and a large popcorn
£5 for 1 regular soft drink and a regular popcorn
I might ad you live on a scale different to us.
We are on medicare (we can't stay away from that subject huh) and we still have to pay out $450 for supplemental insurance and RX's per month.
While you were at Tesco I was paying $45 for one of my RX's. All in all we pay about $150 copay per month.

Back to your payouts. Our lifestyle is a lot different than yours. We wouldn't consider most of what you bought but you are making the money. I might ad that my wife quit working outside of the home about 41 years ago. My point. Only one paycheck.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
£2,000 per month BEFORE deductions for tax, N.I. and pension, Cheers. His net will be around £1300/month - not nearly enough for two people to live on with rent, Council tax, utilities, car expenses (petrol, insurance, tax, maintenance, MOT), food, etc. etc.

Plus - we are starting over. Don't have a stick of furniture to our name or much of anything else! So, regardless of whether I find a job sooner or later, it's going to take some time for us to get ahead.

I wouldn't think wages are paid in cash anywhere these days; his goes directly into the bank.
No that won't go too far for two people. It is tough starting over, and I have had to tell myself - repeatedly - that when I first moved to the States in 1987, I had nothing either and started with one item at a time - it was horrid. One mattress for me, one for my little boy. Two plastic garden chairs (the moulded ones from Home Depot) , one plastic garden table (single) and one bookcase made from cheap pine from Home Depot. That was it. And a black and white telly from a sale. The next year I had moved to Illinois,and when I bought a larger colour TV, I used the box it came in to make the pedestal of a dining table: paid $2 for two pieces of pine shelving, glued them together lengthways, and painted the entire lot French Blue, the same colour as the plastic chairs. Of course - you could not put any weight on the ends as the boards were not connected to the pedestal, but my visitors thought I had a fabulous modern designer table, and I never told them otherwise!! So here I am again: I own one double bed, one plastic airing rack for clothes, one electric kettle, one set of three (cheap and awful) stainless steel pots from Argos, one small 15" TV, and everything else I brought with me. One thing at a time, and now I don't need to have extras for another person, I can afford to take my time and be selective. Today I went to the Market in Frome, and bought a can opener for £1.25, 6 Free Range eggs for £1.25, and some tacky stuff to put lightweight things on the wall - £1. Seek and ye shall find - cheap.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:09 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Our lifestyle is a lot different than yours. We wouldn't consider most of what you bought but you are making the money.

Don't understand, Cheers ... please clarify. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:12 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
No that won't go too far for two people. It is tough starting over, and I have had to tell myself - repeatedly - that when I first moved to the States in 1987, I had nothing either and started with one item at a time - it was horrid. One mattress for me, one for my little boy. Two plastic garden chairs (the moulded ones from Home Depot) , one plastic garden table (single) and one bookcase made from cheap pine from Home Depot. That was it. And a black and white telly from a sale. The next year I had moved to Illinois,and when I bought a larger colour TV, I used the box it came in to make the pedestal of a dining table: paid $2 for two pieces of pine shelving, glued them together lengthways, and painted the entire lot French Blue, the same colour as the plastic chairs. Of course - you could not put any weight on the ends as the boards were not connected to the pedestal, but my visitors thought I had a fabulous modern designer table, and I never told them otherwise!! So here I am again: I own one double bed, one plastic airing rack for clothes, one electric kettle, one set of three (cheap and awful) stainless steel pots from Argos, one small 15" TV, and everything else I brought with me. One thing at a time, and now I don't need to have extras for another person, I can afford to take my time and be selective. Today I went to the Market in Frome, and bought a can opener for £1.25, 6 Free Range eggs for £1.25, and some tacky stuff to put lightweight things on the wall - £1. Seek and ye shall find - cheap.

You're a tough cookie, Rosie. You've "been there, done that", haven't you? And now you're doing it again! Well, what doesn't kill us just makes us stronger, doesn't it?

But at the end of the day: we're in England, and that's good enough for me.

Signed,

Denise ~ the American who (apparently) holds her cutlery caveman style
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Today I went to the Market in Frome, and bought a can opener for £1.25, 6 Free Range eggs for £1.25, and some tacky stuff to put lightweight things on the wall - £1. Seek and ye shall find - cheap.

Do they have a dollar (pound) store in Frome?

Good price considering on the eggs. We pay the same price for a dozen but they are from the caged hens. Nuff said.

I think you have to wait another 4 weeks for your pension and I think you are getting Social Security so hopefully you are 'good'

We all need to live in a big 'ouse and share expenses.
How about ten of us together and getting on each others nerves.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

And at the same time there are programs about moving to Australia on the TV. A bit upmarket from years ago - I nearly moved there (against my desires) when I was in my early 20s and I remember the advertising then about immigrating. I don't remember the actual program titles, but there are two going on at the moment - guess they are scared that so many are leaving Aussie that more people need to replace them! Just guessing.
They talk about this a lot on the Aussie forum. The programmes seem to "lure" people in with a promise of endless sunshine, beautiful beaches and free BBQ's on said beaches...........

Of course as we all know there is more to life than the bloomin' weather.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 15th 2011 at 9:22 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL

Denise ~ the American who (apparently) holds her cutlery caveman style
and don't you forget it
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Don't understand, Cheers ... please clarify. Thanks.
I think what I was trying to say is you spend money on things we don't because we have a tight budget (but live quite well I might ad)

It reminds me of someone who said "Why is there vanilla ice cream and why is there chocolate ice scream"? Answer..some like vanilla some like chocolate.

Same with purchasing, some like somethings and other like other things.

OK I'm burying myself.

You went out for a meal. We haven't been out for a long long time, 6 months maybe?. We do have a gift certificate for Olive Garden we haven't used though. We have sent out to Carl Juniors for hamburgers only because we have a 2 for one coupon.

I think I explained about the theater popcorn/drinks and we haven't bought that for ten years because it is too expensive for us.

Maybe I can explain myself this way. You think your income leaves something to be desired but I think you are living fairly well.

Last edited by cheers; Jan 15th 2011 at 9:32 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, Anna ... if you're still here, post some teasers about Malta.

We all want some Malteasers.

Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Do they have a dollar (pound) store in Frome?

Good price considering on the eggs. We pay the same price for a dozen but they are from the caged hens. Nuff said.

I think you have to wait another 4 weeks for your pension and I think you are getting Social Security so hopefully you are 'good'

We all need to live in a big 'ouse and share expenses.
How about ten of us together and getting on each others nerves.
Yes there is a 'Pound' store - has a mix of decent and tatty rubbish - pick and choose, you may find something that works. That is where I got the folding clothes airer. I enjoy my seek and find shopping expeditions - I live a simple life: free/clearance/sale/discount! Retail makes my Jewish and Scottish genes go into alarm mode! (sorry ED).

DDL: I have been well educated, but the money has never followed. So I learned to adapt, and it has made life much easier. And I know, from the 'been there done that' of my prior experiences, that I can manage almost anything - as long as I have a place to live. I can figure out the rest in time.

Cheers: UK Pension in a few weeks - received a phone call from them to tell me that. US pension - may not take until 4 years hence - it does not amount to a hill of beans at 62. So part time work at least. Had to take a 1.5 hour test for the Census Bureau (or whatever they are called here - I am not sure about the name) which was on line. Now I wait for 3 weeks to see if I am accepted to work in the Frome area in May and June. Nice money, even includes a paid vacation time! That just blows my mind - I am so accustomed to work + no benefits! Though that is naughty of me to write that - when I worked at the university in MN as a Graduate Instructor, I got paid breaks, so I deserve a slap on the wrist tonight. You can do that DDL, to make up for being called (by default) a caveman...don't use your club though, please.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Got to make a run to Target. I will check when I come back.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:36 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes your right Fish, a lot of Americans do worry a lot, well they do I suppose have a lot to worry about though especially if there living from pay check to pay check like so many are, and not being able to pay for there company health insurance, and only getting a week or two paid vacation every year,
But over here people are really happy go lucky, I suppose it helps if you are getting 5 or 6 weeks of lovely paid holiday every freaking year

I always thought that of the Americans when I first got there and for the first say 10 years, they always seemed to me you know laid back, but gradually over the years and now it seems that it has done a compleat turn around,
OK now where can me and Mum go for our next Holiday? better save our pensions --- if theres anything left over
Take care Fish,
Rodney.
I am going to Italy with my sister in late summer.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney... enjoyed your post. I think the UK has the best public bus service anywhere in the World. My family make the most of it. There is a reason for the expensive beef when I get my brain working again I will remember what it is. Do you do much shopping in Marks and Spencers? I think once you have been home for a few more months people will not even notice your accent. It will blend in.

DDL...I think your right about the tea. Once we got the water purifier the taste of my tea changed for the better. I dont know if I asked this before but what do you miss the most about the US. I know when we were home my husband missed peanut butter and mayonaisse and corn on the cob. But I see they have most of those things now.

When we were down South a couple of years ago my husband did not like the narrow winding roads. I think we should have hired a smaller car that would have got around the corners better. We got the bigger car for all our luggage but it did have its drawbacks parking was hard and driving along those roads, but up North it was much easier the roads are not as narrow. Nor do they have the high hedgerows on each side of the road.

Charleygirl...How is work I know you are busy. Give me a call. We have had a really difficult week my OH was taken ill and spent most of the week feeling under the weather. He had to go into hospital yesterday and had an operation this morning for gall stones. He had 70. He is feeling a little better today. Spend most of yesterday and today at the hospital and probably for the next few days. Glad he got it out of the way. My grandson also had an operation on his foot so its been a really tough week. But we are doing well unfortunately those people who looked at the house chose another one. The forsale sign is now covered in snow.

Its time for updates from overseas forum friends......Will be putting an updated list up once Beedubya and ldyinlv leave for home. Havnt heard from Anna in Malta or HighSpeedGrandma. I know your busy but just drop in and let us know how things are going.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by DDL
We've had a good day!

Actually slept-in (until 10am!) for the first time since we've been back (5 months now). Tony's mum is on holiday in America so we have the house to ourselves.

We got our groceries at Tesco this morning. For you number crunchers:

£1.87 for a 6-pack of Pepsi Max
£0.58 for a small Tesco brand Steak Pie in flaky pastry
£0.74 for a 6-pack of Hovis crumpets
£0.98 for a small bag of Tate & Lyle sugar
£3.00 for mouthwash
£1.15 for a loaf of Hovis bread
£2.50 for toothpaste
£9.18 for Centrum 50+ vitamins (60 tabs)
£3.70 for BBC Homes & Antiques magazine

We came back home and put the groceries away, then went out for lunch at the new Harvester (chain) pub that opened up recently on the High Street (which, like most others, is "pedestrianised" or should that be spelled with a "z" ??). Not a terrific experience - think they are still working out the kinks with regard to service, but it was okay. Tony had sausages and mash, and I had a grilled chicken breast w/jacket potato and peas. We each had tap water, and I think our bill was around £12.

Then..........we went to the cinema and saw "The King's Speech". OMG. It was absolutely brilliant. In fact, as the final credits started to roll, the audience broke out into applause. It's a wonderful film and if you haven't seen it yet, I highly, highly recommend it. Here's a link to the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOSlzo

Curious about cinema prices?

£8.60 regular seating cinema ticket
£10.30 VIP seating cinema ticket (larger chair, more legroom, reserved seating)
£11 for 2 regular soft drinks and a large popcorn
£5 for 1 regular soft drink and a regular popcorn
Wow I found the toiletries i.e. mouthwash and toothpaste to be really high in price.

And as for the £11 for 2 regular soft drinks and popcorn That is steep!! I wouldn't pay it on principle!!

My friend in the UK went to see that movie too last week Denise and has raved to me about it, you are the second person, yet I can't see the attraction of a movie about a future kings speech impediment.......

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 15th 2011 at 9:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.