Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
When I first came to this country my ex husband, said he was embarrased by the way I ate with a knife and fork..said I looked like a heathen. I should learn to eat the "Amercian way" . Now maybe you can begin to see why I am divorced..lol
Good riddance to the ex - worra cheek!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I used to volunteer at a Living History Museum in West Chicago, run by the museum in Chicago. I was a docent for the Summer Kitchen, where I had to tell people about the cutlery/lack of cutlery. In wagon train days, knives were a premium item, and each wagon had only one. There was a shortage of forks, too, but enough spoons. So I am guessing that from those days people learned to eat in (what we in the UK regard as) a peculiar way, and (DDL can interject here if she cares to) it has stayed that way. I have shared meals with Americans in the north (WI and MN) who have alternately licked their bowls (!), pushed food onto the fork with their fingers instead of using the knife, and - best of all - picked their teeth with the point of the knife (steak knife preferred). In public, or at home - made no difference. Top that!
No way!!!!!!!!!!!! Not unless they are under the age of 10!!!!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Bee if you find one, ask him if he has a brother for me..
I am waiting for Anna to throw a few Maltese rejects my way Jackie.

Anna, if you are out there lurking do come in and give us one of your blasts of sunshine and happiness.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 7:56 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers
OK confession time...............

I will drink from a bowl because it is faster than using a spoon. I only do it at home. (how rude) I wonder why I haven't been invited to the Palace?
I bet Prince Philip does too LOL!!

Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
but its raining quite steady and cold and the wind is blowing
Rodney.
Hey just like Las Vegas, not
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey just like Las Vegas, not
66 in Vegas, and sunny...just sayin.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

When I first came to this country my ex husband, said he was embarrased by the way I ate with a knife and fork....
Strangely enough, my ex said the same. Wonder if they're related? I told him that in the UK our food is cut up and we eat solely with a fork.....if we're under 5yrs of age!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I bet Prince Philip does too LOL!!

No, his nose would get in the way.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Oh ,lol ...well it sounds like you are .

I would also contact the landlord ,see if he could provide a new hanging space (like the one you have)they are not expensive and if you rented it furnished ,he really should
I rented it unfurnished - the bits in here were left by former tenants, and I asked that they be left (before I knew about the curry smell!) as I had nothing. My llord is very agreeable.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I rented it unfurnished - the bits in here were left by former tenants, and I asked that they be left (before I knew about the curry smell!) as I had nothing. My llord is very agreeable.
Cool ,what a great situation as a tenant to be in .

I think Argos sells those wordrobes btw !

In case you ever want a new one !

Another thing to consider - a clothes rail with a pretty sheet or tablecloth thrown over to keep the dust out
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, Part II is nearly up to page 100!

Just popping in to say SO HAPPY for you, Jackie that you are cancer free!

For you, David, that you and partner are buying the house in Brixham!

Glad to see Celtic Spirit again, though sorry Celtic that things are still so difficult now....

People have been talking about tea....in US if the water is too chlorinated, as it was where I lived (oops I think I have to change my profile, am in France now), the tea tastes awful unless you use a water filtration system....whether whole house, under sink Pur filter thingy, or the good old filter jug.

It really makes a difference.

Tina
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

Glad to see Celtic Spirit again, though sorry Celtic that things are still so difficult now....

People have been talking about tea....in US if the water is too chlorinated, as it was where I lived (oops I think I have to change my profile, am in France now), the tea tastes awful unless you use a water filtration system....whether whole house, under sink Pur filter thingy, or the good old filter jug.

Tina
Thank you Tina..
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds

Tina
Tue, we have a filter under the kitchen sink to make it taste better and make a decent cuppa, without it theres the overpowering smell of chlorine. It makes the bathwater look like a swimming pool, it has that blue tinge
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:22 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to volunteer at a Living History Museum in West Chicago, run by the museum in Chicago. I was a docent for the Summer Kitchen, where I had to tell people about the cutlery/lack of cutlery. In wagon train days, knives were a premium item, and each wagon had only one. There was a shortage of forks, too, but enough spoons. So I am guessing that from those days people learned to eat in (what we in the UK regard as) a peculiar way, and (DDL can interject here if she cares to) it has stayed that way. I have shared meals with Americans in the north (WI and MN) who have alternately licked their bowls (!), pushed food onto the fork with their fingers instead of using the knife, and - best of all - picked their teeth with the point of the knife (steak knife preferred). In public, or at home - made no difference. Top that!
Rosie, do you mean "West Chicago" as in the town "West Chicago" ... or do you mean the western boundaries of the city of Chicago? If you mean "West Chicago" the town, I lived/worked there once, in fact, my first husband was from there. We were married in Wheaton. I was born in the western 'burbs of Chicago.

Now, about the way we Americans eat, well, it's just the way it is. Doesn't mean we're wrong and doesn't mean the way they eat here in the UK is right. People in some countries eat with their hands. Are they doing it wrong? Nope, they're doing it the way their country does it and there is always a history behind it.

We had Blancmange the other night for afters and Mum set a spoon and a fork out to use when eating it. Explain that one to me. The fork just didn't make sense to me with a pudding of that texture. But if that's the way it's done over here, that's the way it's done. I for one would certainly never dream of calling it "wrong".
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:41 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick note. Tony got a partial paycheck today from the Council.

By way of information for those curious about deductions, on £1764.02 net pay:

He paid NI deduction of £120.10
Employer paid an NI deduction of £115.09.

He paid Pension deduction of £109.03
Employer paid Pension deduction of £273.42.

He paid £205.60 in tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.