Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 14th 2012, 11:39 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by rebs
How did it go with the application Sally?

Sounds like the investment in the homefinder service was well worth it if they have got you sorted so quickly
Unfortunately that house didn't work out and we have rescinded our offer. The landlady is currently living there and upon receiving an offer, she apparently flew into a panic about where she would live (she didn't think of this before????!!!) and then stopped taking her letting agent's calls. He urged us to be patient, but we felt that she was too unstable and we decided to walk away. The home finder agreed, so we're back to square one. They've looked at a few properties for us, but nothing was as suitable as that house.

We don't yet have a firm closing date on our own house, so we're going to give it a few more weeks before we start broadening our search area to 'anywhere in England with decent broadband.'
Old Feb 14th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Unfortunately that house didn't work out and we have rescinded our offer. The landlady is currently living there and upon receiving an offer, she apparently flew into a panic about where she would live (she didn't think of this before????!!!) and then stopped taking her letting agent's calls. He urged us to be patient, but we felt that she was too unstable and we decided to walk away. The home finder agreed, so we're back to square one. They've looked at a few properties for us, but nothing was as suitable as that house.

We don't yet have a firm closing date on our own house, so we're going to give it a few more weeks before we start broadening our search area to 'anywhere in England with decent broadband.'
Ha Ha Ha, I had to laugh Sally when you said she suddenly flu into a panic about where she would live, you were very polite when you called her unstable, thats putting it mildly
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Rodney,

There are many people with jobs that cant afford to see a Dr, I've seen cases in the USA where hundreds line up on weekends to see a Doctor, Dentist or Optician, I hate to say but that's nothing new...
Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes quite right Fish, I have many times seen the lines of hundreds of people lining up to get treatment in Vegas over the years, I think there mobile units come to town twice a year, with a few Doctors & Nurses,
And I do know very well first hand that a lot of people who have full time Jobs cant even go to the Doc, my last Job offered health insurance but the premiums were a third of the wages paid so NO ONE could afford to enroll including myself, the wages were very low at my last Job, but that was the only Job I could get ------ and it took me 7 months to get that one after being laid off from a good Job at a top resort, I was with them for 8 years and earning over $50,000 per year,
But while I was at my last low paid Job in Vegas, the one I left just before coming home ----- No insurance, one day I remember I had a tooth that was giving me a lot of pain, so I was going through my head the options of getting it taken care of and I found this mobile dentist in Vegas, it was a couple of trailers fully equipped with all the stuff that you would find in a regular dentist office, and well it turned out that they offer very low discounted treatment to people with no Job, and for people over 60 at that time got all there emergency treatment free, it was a program subsidized by the Nevada government, they have there mobile units in VEGAS, RENO, and a few other cities in Nevada, so they pulled out the tooth and I was fine.

At the end of the Panorama last night it said that 60% of Americans seeing this program will not be shocked at what they see on here, after hearing that I thought that maybe the other 40% that ARE shocked are the minority that are maybe middle or upper middle class that Just dont know how the poor people live, but it Just shows you that homelessness can happen to anyone, at any time in the twinkling of an eye,
I read on another thread about someone who use to be on here and she said people on our thread hated America and Americans so she left the thread.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 15th 2012 at 12:59 pm. Reason: fixing quotes again
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

I read on another thread about someone who use to be on here and she said people on our thread hated America and Americans so she left the thread.
Well that's her choice, it is a moving back thread after all, maybe that should have clued her in...

I must admit there are some haters that visit this thread but I'm certainly not one of them, I have American relatives and Love every single one of them very much...

I've said many times that I feel for many Americans, I have the option to leave this country but many are stuck here, I didn't arrive here yesterday, I've been here 36 years, I've seen and the felt the major decline, life here used to be much better 30 years ago, today its rich against poor and its no secret that the poor are losing, how much worse will it have to get before everybody wakes up...

There are many people that would like a change for the better, but there are many with their head in the sand who think they've got it great even when they are getting treated crap, that's Ignorance for you...

Politics and religion divide this country, the lower and middle classes (99%) need to stick together for the common good but I doubt that will ever happen, there are too many issues that divide them plus the rich keep stirring the pot telling people what to think...

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 15th 2012 at 1:00 pm. Reason: fixing quotes again
Old Feb 14th 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes quite right Fish, I have many times seen the lines of hundreds of people lining up to get treatment in Vegas over the years, I think there mobile units come to town twice a year, with a few Doctors & Nurses,
Why are there so many systems and plans that single out the young and old while the working people who pay taxes cant afford to get care, surely it would be better to have a streamlined system where Everybody gets covered, A healthy country would be a more productive country, Huhhh its pointless me saying anymore, the Big Money people are totally against helping the common man.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

A big part of the problem which doesn't seem to be addressed is what people are being charged for healthcare. I know some will say we are paying exorbitant fees to cover those who don't pay.
If we paid cash the fees would come way,way down
I see what doctors and hospitals are charging the government and its outrageous IMO
What am I saying???
I think what I am saying is that both business and surgeons are making a ton of money because people are suffering.
I think in the old days there was a moral obligation to tend to the sick and I think that goes back to biblical teachings.
Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

May I wish you all a happy Valentines Day
(I bet you thought I had forgotten you-tut tut)

Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

May I wish you all a happy Valentines Day
(I bet you thought I had forgotten you-tut tut)

Cheers
And a Happy Valentines day to you too.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Since there are reported to be 1.8million voters who are dead on the voter rolls in the US I was wondering how the candidates do their campaigning to them??

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...sEnabled=false

Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've been reading on another forum, that is for Americans living in England, that in some areas of England it is common place to hear American accents in public??? What is going on people?

Cheers
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading on another forum, that is for Americans living in England, that in some areas of England it is common place to hear American accents in public??? What is going on people?

Cheers
Well, I know in York, where I'm from, the whole city is full of American and Japanese tourists - is that what you mean?
Old Feb 14th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Well that's her choice, it is a moving back thread after all, maybe that should have clued her in...

I must admit there are some haters that visit this thread but I'm certainly not one of them, I have American relatives and Love every single one of them very much...

I've said many times that I feel for many Americans, I have the option to leave this country but many are stuck here, I didn't arrive here yesterday, I've been here 36 years, I've seen and the felt the major decline, life here used to be much better 30 years ago, today its rich against poor and its no secret that the poor are losing, how much worse will it have to get before everybody wakes up...

There are many people that would like a change for the better, but there are many with their head in the sand who think they've got it great even when they are getting treated crap, that's Ignorance for you...

Politics and religion divide this country, the lower and middle classes (99%) need to stick together for the common good but I doubt that will ever happen, there are too many issues that divide them plus the rich keep stirring the pot telling people what to think...

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 15th 2012 at 1:02 pm. Reason: fixing quotes again
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=cheers;9901822]

Cheers you have to be very very careful when you post something, the above quote about the woman who left this thread is YOUR quote,
but at the top OF YOUR POST you have my name ----- WHY?
Im sure fish when he commented on YOUR post thought it was my post, thats very upsetting to me,
And Just for the record, I do not hate America, AND I do not hate OR dislike Americans ------ In all the 36 years that I lived in the U.S. every single one of my friends have been American, My wife was American and I loved her very much, I never even worked with anyone BUT Americans in all those years, unlike many Brits on this thread I have never had a Brit friend in America, they have all been American.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
They must have been standing in line to see the Crown Jewels
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Cheers
I know that a lot of American families live in or near the areas where the American schools are located. Some families will be on expat postings for about 2-3 years and other families are resident in the UK either long term or permanently, but prefer their children to attend an American school if future plans are to attend university in the States.

I know that many Americans reside in the St. John's Wood area of London and Virginia Water, Surrey, where there are American Schools. Also see where these American schools are located:

http://www.acs-schools.com/ (Cobham, Egham and Hilllingdon)

http://www.asl.org/ (St. John's Wood, London)

http://england.tasis.com/page.cfm?p=349 (Virginia Water)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marymou..._School_London (Catholic school, founded for expat American families, Kingston Upon Thames).

Hmmmm - now I know why housing is so expensive in West London/Surrey! All those expats on big housing allowances lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.