Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Lets see.............
If you bring up the the utube clip and then highlight it on the address and when you have done that then you hit 'Control' and hold that down and then hit the letter 'C'. Got that? Next go to your post that you will be sending to us and when you have that hit 'control' again and at the same time press the 'v' key on the keyboard and the reference will show up and then we,the reader, will highlight the reference and hit enter and we are in business.

Cheers
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:31 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Now MITF thats what I need to learn also, but first how do you even provide the link so people can click on it, say I went to BBC 1 and wanted to quote a story, or even go to U-TUBE say and I wanted to share a special Video song clip, how do I get that link on B.E.? others make it look so easy and Ive always wished that I could do it myself, Hmmmmm talk about being clueless ------ I will be waiting very eagerly for the next lesson,
Rodney.
Originally Posted by cheers
Lets see.............
If you bring up the the utube clip and then highlight it on the address and when you have done that then you hit 'Control' and hold that down and then hit the letter 'C'. Got that? Next go to your post that you will be sending to us and when you have that hit 'control' again and at the same time press the 'v' key on the keyboard and the reference will show up and then we,the reader, will highlight the reference and hit enter and we are in business.

Cheers
Not sure how you do that one with You tube Cheers.

To make a word into a link.
I open two pages at once. One is here and one is the page I want to link.
I highlight the url a the top of the one I want to link, right click and hit copy.
Then come back here and write my reply to someone, pick the work I want to be the link. Highlight it then press the little world wearing sunglasses a little box appears, get rid of whats in it and paste the url from the link you want to use.
Like this then hit the OK button and a bunch of stuff appears around the word you picked. Make sure not to mess with the brackets or letters in there. then hit submit post, or review it and click the word to see if you got it before posting it.
For You tube I do the same but I've never link that to here so not sure if it works the same

I'm off to the accountant this morning it's tax day for me, so I don't owe money to the tax man
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

On the topic of US homeless and the Panorama poverty in the US show - I posted on the same topic last year or the year before - have a re-read. Seems nothing changes for the better - I was writing about the situation in the1990s.
topic No. 6506 OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I used to work for a charity in Illinois during the early 1990s. I worked for a Food Bank, one that collected and then distributed food (cans/boxes/packets/frozen etc) to other sites: Food Pantries, Soup Kitchens, Orphanages, Assisted Living places etc. So we were the port of first call, and got most of the supplies from either bump and dent areas of various large grocery store chains, or directly from the manufacturers - it was a Second Harvest operation, if anyone knows what that is. Anyway, my point is that I spent a long day visiting various sites that my employers supplied, and one was in Aurora, Illinois. That town was, at the time at least, comprised of many working poor: people who had job(s) but still did not earn enough to provide more than - if that - the bare necessities. Many lived on the streets, and were dependent on the local catholic charity to help them on a daily basis. This was a charity (I no longer remember the name of the organisation) set up in an old bus station, backing onto the Amtrak line to Chicago. It was called 'tent city' because, at the back of the building during the summer, anyone (homeless) with a tent could pitch it there and live for the summer season. It was orderly, tents pitched in a circle, with a 'living room' and fire pit in the center. During the day the residents of tent city got their meals from the soup kitchen inside the building, and said meals were added to at regular intervals when the Amtrak train came by, as the dining car door would open and a large 50 gallon bag with left over meals and sandwiches would get thrown out to the residents. Inside the building were: a soup kitchen; a food pantry; a clothes closet; showers; toilets; laundry facilities. What happened to the residents in the winter: local churches provided the same services on a rolling basis, meaning that each night homeless people had to line up at a different church to get a place to stay for the night and a meal and shower etc. America the beautiful - not to anyone living like that. It was a real wake up call for me, living then in the Chicago suburbs. I hope, I really hope, that there is nothing comparable in the UK. if anyone knows differently, please post. People's circumstances change all the time, and sometimes it is only for the grace of God that any of us are not one of them... Education is only an indicator of the ability to pass exams, street smarts is what works in tough times.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Oh my god! I couldnt imagine living like that in Chicago temperatures. It sounds shocking even compared to what I saw on Panorama.
I work at a Food Pantry in Arlington, on the outskirts of DC. I know a lot are sleeping rough, but theres a lot of organisations (and money) available in this area to help our clients. It`s always single men who are the worst off for getting help. Also cant believe that a lot of our clients are ex-military with mental health problems and living on the streets. Even volunteering your life for your country doesnt help here, it seems!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Now MITF thats what I need to learn also, but first how do you even provide the link so people can click on it, say I went to BBC 1 and wanted to quote a story, or even go to U-TUBE say and I wanted to share a special Video song clip, how do I get that link on B.E.? others make it look so easy and Ive always wished that I could do it myself, Hmmmmm talk about being clueless ------ I will be waiting very eagerly for the next lesson,
Rodney.
You do know Silver Surfers (yep that's you ) can have free lessons at your local library don't you? Might be worth looking into.............
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I saw your house on here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17048794

Cheers
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
On the topic of US homeless and the Panorama poverty in the US show - I posted on the same topic last year or the year before - have a re-read. Seems nothing changes for the better - I was writing about the situation in the1990s.
topic No. 6506 OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

I used to work for a charity in Illinois during the early 1990s. I worked for a Food Bank, one that collected and then distributed food (cans/boxes/packets/frozen etc) to other sites: Food Pantries, Soup Kitchens, Orphanages, Assisted Living places etc. So we were the port of first call, and got most of the supplies from either bump and dent areas of various large grocery store chains, or directly from the manufacturers - it was a Second Harvest operation, if anyone knows what that is. Anyway, my point is that I spent a long day visiting various sites that my employers supplied, and one was in Aurora, Illinois. That town was, at the time at least, comprised of many working poor: people who had job(s) but still did not earn enough to provide more than - if that - the bare necessities. Many lived on the streets, and were dependent on the local catholic charity to help them on a daily basis. This was a charity (I no longer remember the name of the organisation) set up in an old bus station, backing onto the Amtrak line to Chicago. It was called 'tent city' because, at the back of the building during the summer, anyone (homeless) with a tent could pitch it there and live for the summer season. It was orderly, tents pitched in a circle, with a 'living room' and fire pit in the center. During the day the residents of tent city got their meals from the soup kitchen inside the building, and said meals were added to at regular intervals when the Amtrak train came by, as the dining car door would open and a large 50 gallon bag with left over meals and sandwiches would get thrown out to the residents. Inside the building were: a soup kitchen; a food pantry; a clothes closet; showers; toilets; laundry facilities. What happened to the residents in the winter: local churches provided the same services on a rolling basis, meaning that each night homeless people had to line up at a different church to get a place to stay for the night and a meal and shower etc. America the beautiful - not to anyone living like that. It was a real wake up call for me, living then in the Chicago suburbs. I hope, I really hope, that there is nothing comparable in the UK. if anyone knows differently, please post. People's circumstances change all the time, and sometimes it is only for the grace of God that any of us are not one of them... Education is only an indicator of the ability to pass exams, street smarts is what works in tough times.
Rosie

I started this thread on Monday, check it out

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748317

Barb x
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:40 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
That was nice.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

I highlight the url a the top of the one I want to link, right click and hit copy.
Then come back here and write my reply to someone, pick the work I want to be the link. Highlight it then press the little world wearing sunglasses a little box appears, get rid of whats in it and paste the url from the link you want to use.
Like this then hit the OK button and a bunch of stuff appears around the word you picked. Make sure not to mess with the brackets or letters in there. then hit submit post, or review it and click the word to see if you got it before posting it.
For You tube I do the same but I've never link that to here so not sure if it works the same

I'm off to the accountant this morning it's tax day for me, so I don't owe money to the tax man
Thanks for the help MITF ------ but alas although I know the basics of computing, (had computers for 12 years) but I cant even cut & paste, and all this above is just too much for me, sorry!!!!

Barb no I have never heard of Silver Surfers, so you say there are classes that I could attend at my local library, sounds good, I will check it out,
I learn something a lot faster and easier when Im physically shown how to do it.
Rodney.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Thanks for the help MITF ------ but alas although I know the basics of computing, (had computers for 12 years) but I cant even cut & paste, and all this above is just too much for me, sorry!!!!

Barb no I have never heard of Silver Surfers, so you say there are classes that I could attend at my local library, sounds good, I will check it out,
I learn something a lot faster and easier when Im physically shown how to do it.
Rodney.
I "think" it may have something to do with Age Concern, they do a LOT of stuff for older people not just Meals on Wheels types of things..........
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:04 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go Rodney - here's a video that shows how to cut and paste a link to a website
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9xPErTg95c
Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I "think" it may have something to do with Age Concern, they do a LOT of stuff for older people not just Meals on Wheels types of things..........
Here ya go Rodney and don't say I never do anything for you!!

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/work-and-lea...-and-internet/
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:03 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Great stuff - I shall use that explanation for people in the future!

For youtube links you can also copy and paste into the box you get from clicking little icon that looks like a film reel (next to the envelope) - that embeds the you tube video into the post rather than just linking it
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Great stuff - I shall use that explanation for people in the future!

For youtube links you can also copy and paste into the box you get from clicking little icon that looks like a film reel (next to the envelope) - that embeds the you tube video into the post rather than just linking it
Thank you I didn't know how to get the video in the post.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Here you go Rodney - here's a video that shows how to cut and paste a link to a website
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9xPErTg95c
Sally, thanks for the link, I havent seen it yet but Ive saved it and I will look at tit tomorrow, Just too tired now, its bed for me now, midnight in my kneck of the woods. but yes thats what I need a video to show me how to do it
Rodney,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.