Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thank you Gab, and you Fish for your kind thoughts. Wow, I am quite blown away by the kindness of you all. Good English folk .

Rodney, what a great post. I am going to remember these words:
"do you remember in the first few years that feeling you had, that wonderful excitement of being young and full of life in a new land not knowing what your future has in store for you, ----- well that feeling comes back when we come back home".

So glad to hear your happiness. It inspires us all.

p.s. I have always felt that we British folk are made of resilient stuff and have what it takes to come through hard times as we have throughout history. Don't you think ?
Thanks Bandrui,
I read your recent posts too and they touched me also, all I can do is offer really much the same remarks as others, but as fish said life is very short and ------- from me I think you deserve to be happy no matter what,
take good care,
Rodney.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks Bandrui,
I read your recent posts too and they touched me also, all I can do is offer really much the same remarks as others, but as fish said life is very short and ------- from me I think you deserve to be happy no matter what,
take good care,
Rodney.
Thanks Rodney. I truly appreciate the warm remarks.

So glad you're doing so well. It is interesting to hear people's day-to-day journey as they settle in over there and helps us to realise there will be ups and downs, just as there are wherever you live.

How are you feeling Charley Girl? Are you glad to moved to the UK and will you go back and settle in. It is so important to take care of your own happiness so whatever you dcecide make sure that it is not just for everyone else.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rodney. I truly appreciate the warm remarks.

So glad you're doing so well. It is interesting to hear people's day-to-day journey as they settle in over there and helps us to realise there will be ups and downs, just as there are wherever you live.

How are you feeling Charley Girl? Are you glad to moved to the UK and will you go back and settle in. It is so important to take care of your own happiness so whatever you dcecide make sure that it is not just for everyone else.
Just read your post bandrui, very wise words indeed to charleygirl, cant add a thing to that, short but right to the point, and thats it isn't it!!!
Same thing for you, time to move on, how do you feel, do you think you are ready to put your house up for sale?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

No kidding. It's as if something has suddenly gone click in my brain. I'm done.
I`d support you on that one! Time for you now, dont look back!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it never rains but it pours, right? Yesterday evening I was trying to pull a long piece of wood out of the car port when it came out suddenly and the deck was really slippery so came crashing down on a step and now have a broken arm. I knew instantly it was broken... heard a snap and then agonising pain. Fed the dog and then drove myself to the hospital... that was interesting ... I have a manual.

So now it's in a cast and I am trying to sort out what on earth I am going to do. I had been lining up a few gardening jobs because I am broke, but they are out of the question apparently for 6 weeks .(as is any work in my own yard or repairs, etc. ) My tenant gave notice for the end of the month too.

I always ask myself: so why did this happen in my life right now? So far
(it's still new) I can think of:
- I was feeling overwhelmed... now I can't do most of those things.
- time to do those 3 years of back taxes and I'll probably get a good gst tax credit check.

It is already a major nuisance. It's amazing how many things take two hands to do. I have a new appreciation of my arms.

Will have to do some brainstorming. I'm sure I will come to understand why this happened.

p.s. At least, like the UK, the medical treatment doesn't cost a penny.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jemima55
I`d support you on that one! Time for you now, dont look back!
Thanks Jemima... that's the plan. Definitely going to sell the house. Took 2 big bags of stuff to the thrift shop yesterday (good timing!) and lots more downsizing to do before I list, but it will happen.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it never rains but it pours, right? Yesterday evening I was trying to pull a long piece of wood out of the car port when it came out suddenly and the deck was really slippery so came crashing down on a step and now have a broken arm. I knew instantly it was broken... heard a snap and then agonising pain. Fed the dog and then drove myself to the hospital... that was interesting ... I have a manual.

So now it's in a cast and I am trying to sort out what on earth I am going to do. I had been lining up a few gardening jobs because I am broke, but they are out of the question apparently for 6 weeks .(as is any work in my own yard or repairs, etc. ) My tenant gave notice for the end of the month too.

- time to do those 3 years of back taxes and I'll probably get a good gst tax credit check.

It is already a major nuisance. It's amazing how many things take two hands to do. I have a new appreciation of my arms.

Will have to do some brainstorming. I'm sure I will come to understand why this happened.

Oh good heavens bandrui, so sorry! What a thing to happen..

I love how you are trying to see the silver lining, though...time to do the back taxes, etc! But really it's a shame....

hope the arm recovers quickly and while waiting, you are able not to be too anxious and find a way to relax and not worry too much...
all best,
Tina
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Free medical care
I have one good arm
I'm able to show the house because the tenant has gone
There will be money coming from tax refund
Plenty of time to plan
Which arm? I hope it was the left(your spare one)

Mend soon. Sorry that it happened.
Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Jemima... that's the plan. Definitely going to sell the house. Took 2 big bags of stuff to the thrift shop yesterday (good timing!) and lots more downsizing to do before I list, but it will happen.
I spent today painting the kitchen to get the house ready for sale. It really has brightened it up, and got rid of a million dings and scratches I`d hardly noticed before.
Heck, but not much more sorting out for you! I broke my arm a few years back and a cast made it much more comfortable.
Good luck with the taxes, and I hope there`s a big rebate at the end of it!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:49 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes it is a nice word isn't it, and no kidding its the first time Ive used it since Ive been home, it just came out as natural as running water, Hmmmm
Am I finally starting to feel that I belong hear? well shucks I think its happened, it feels good to be home, and good to be with Me Mum and family, absolutely SMASHING, never felt so happy in my life as I feel now Im home, retired, stress free, and just loving every minute of every day, Im even starting to laugh much easier now, I feel relaxed, and a real sense of actually belonging somewhere, my sense of humor is starting to come back too, that had been missing for quite a while,

If anyone thinks that this is the time in there life to make the move back home AND circumstances dont stop you ----- then I recommend so strongly just make the decision and do it, I really didn't have a clue what I was missing all these years, you really never can you know ---- not just coming back for little holidays every so often, ---- its not until you actually have lived here for at least 6 months that you even start to get it!!! and then this brand new world that you have made for yourself just starts to open up and shine like the sun on a beautiful day, its really hard to explain but then as the months pass into your first year you just feel different, better, happy, relaxed, you feel yourself actually starting to fit in and you love it!!!! to sum it up you start to (feel yourself) you know like before you left home all those decades ago to live in your adopted country, or perhaps say you were within your first few years of living in that country, like wherever you lived like Oz, Canada or the U.S. or somewhere else, do you remember in the first few years that feeling you had, that wonderful excitement of being young and full of life in a new land not knowing what your future has in store for you, ----- well that feeling comes back when we come back home, but dont expect to feel that way right away cause you wont, a little time has to pass first,

everyone follow your dream and just keep it alive no matter what,
Good luck,
and take care,
Rodney.

Rodney

I just wanted to tell you what a great post this is. I know what you mean about your sense of humour - I can't wait to get mine back. I love the everyday banter that I experience when I visit the UK.

I posted a link to Rhod Gilbert, the Welsh comedian, in the Rovers Return. he was on Michael McIntyre's Christmas special, so you may have already seen it.
I have watched it several times and it makes me laugh every time.

Thanks for this post.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Heal quickly. Thats a great attitude to have, it's slowing you down to get some other things done that only require one hand. Brilliant
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Heal quickly. Thats a great attitude to have, it's slowing you down to get some other things done that only require one hand. Brilliant
Thanks MITF. I am doing some mind-mapping around the different areas of my life that I need to focus on. ( A process invented by an Englishman... Tony Buzan : http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ith-tony-buzan )
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks MITF. I am doing some mind-mapping around the different areas of my life that I need to focus on. ( A process invented by an Englishman... Tony Buzan : http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...ith-tony-buzan )
So sorry Bandrui for your pain and breaking your arm, and loosing your tenant, but Cheers last post to you was quite brilliant really, saying that now it will be easier to clear out all the old junk and also to show the house to prospective buyers,
Question ----- when you are retired in Canada and getting the state pension do they have a simular system like the U.S of medicare deductions out of your pension before you get it?
Or do you get it paid to you without any deductions and so when you reach that golden age of retirement you receive your medical care at no charge?

And so would I be right in thinking that Canada is like the U.K. that through there working lives they pay in to the medical system from there salary, and when they retire and receive there state pension (UNLIKE THE U.S.) they no longer have to contribute anything for there medical care?

In other words, THE FAIR WAY!!!!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you gotta keep the old brain ticking!! I hope your arm heals real soon, maybe this is a sign from the Universe to slow down and take stock??
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:20 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 10th 2012 at 4:20 pm. Reason: stuffed up photos.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.