Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's beautiful. If it's only £350,000 it must either be somewhere out of the way, or be quite small. But I definitely wouldn't say no if someone was giving it to me for free. Love those beams and the fireplace.

Sally ----- you say if its (ONLY) £350,000? thats a lot to pay for a house or cottage over here, my Aunt owns a lovely 4 bedroom detached large bungalow in a lovely little village just 10 miles outside Portsmouth and its value is a lot less then £350k, ----- about £250k to £300k ------- you know Sally we (ARE) talking Pounds here ------ not US Dollars, ----- £350,000 is about a freaking half million dollars, Imagine what a lovely big house you could buy in America for that kind of money, in todays prices you could buy (4) nice three bedroom detached houses in a good area of Las Vegas for that kind of money. maybe not New York, but many other States and citys around America you will find many homes for $120k or even under $100k,

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:53 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:52 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I use expatshield. But am looking into what Sallysimmons does which is for about 10 dollars a months she subscribes to UK television stations. Or something to that effect.
Yes, this is the one I use. http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/. It's been absolutely flawless and the customer service is really good if you have questions.

I chose the paid route because this gets you what's called a virtual private network. It's more secure against hackers than the free options, and it makes your activities invisible to your Internet Service Provider. Using a proxy is actually against the rules with most ISPs and therefore I'd rather they not know what I'm doing.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
\
Sally ----- you say if its (ONLY) £350,000? thats a lot to pay for a house or cottage over here, my Aunt owns a lovely 4 bedroom detached large bungalow in a lovely little village just 10 miles outside Portsmouth and its value is a lot less then £350k, ----- about £250k to £300k ------- you know Sally we (ARE) talking Pounds here ------ not US Dollars, ----- £350,000 is about a freaking half million dollars
I know Rodney - but I've obsessed about UK property enough to know that thatched cottages come at a premium. There was a 4-bed thatched cottage for sale in my hometown (or rather home village) in Yorkshire last year that was £475,000 - and that's not a particularly well-connected village.

A modern bungalow is nothing like a period home in terms of value. That Daily Mail house is picture perfect, and finished to perfection. If it was in either North Yorkshire or an affluent area of the south, I would have expected it to cost a LOT more than that, so I was just assuming that it must be either very small or in a lower cost part of the country.

But I didn't mean to imply that £350,000 isn't a lot of money because it is. Unfortunately, it doesn't buy much in my target area, but that's a problem for another day.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Anyway you would need 21 coupons so that means you will have to buy 21 Daily Fail's and after that amount of negativity and doom and gloom you would feel like topping yourself.
OK Barb that did indeed get a chuckle out of me,
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's beautiful. If it's only £350,000 it must either be somewhere out of the way, or be quite small. But I definitely wouldn't say no if someone was giving it to me for free. Love those beams and the fireplace.

Sally ----- you say if its (ONLY) £350,000? thats a lot to pay for a house or cottage over here, my Aunt owns a lovely 4 bedroom detached large bungalow in a lovely little village just 10 miles outside Portsmouth and its value is a lot less then £350k, ----- about £250k to £300k ------- you know Sally we (ARE) talking Pounds here ------ not US Dollars, ----- £350,000 is about a freaking half million dollars, Imagine what a lovely big house you could buy in America for that kind of money, in todays prices you could buy (4) nice three bedroom detached houses in a good area of Las Vegas for that kind of money. maybe not New York, but many other States and citys around America you will find many homes for $120k or even under $100k,
Wow that is amazing - I can't think of anywhere in Australia you could buy a place that cheaply.

I just checked and the AUD and the USD are much of a muchness now.........my daughter and her partner bought a place earlier this year, brick home, 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, 2 lounge rooms, nothing posh by any means and needs quite a few improvements like flooring, painting, etc. and they had to have a new kitchen put in. NSW south of Sydney about 1 and a half hours, bought for $475.00.00 AUD!!!

The Lucky Country? I think not..............

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:54 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Wow that is amazing - I can't think of anywhere in Australia you could buy a place that cheaply.

I just checked and the AUD and the USD are much of a muchness now.........my daughter and her partner bought a place earlier this year, brick home, 4 beds, 2 bathrooms, 2 lounge rooms, nothing posh by any means and needs quite a few improvements like flooring, painting, etc. and they had to have a new kitchen put in. NSW south of Sydney about 1 and a half hours, bought for $475.00.00 AUD!!!

The Lucky Country? I think not..............
WOW Barb when I Immigrated to Australia in 1965 when I was a little whipper snapper of just 19 you could buy a very nice house for about £4,000 (Oz pounds) that was before they went decimal to dollars

But anyway getting back to American house prices that lost sooooo much of there value since the hhousing& banking (MESS) crash in 2008, it seems as far as I can see that in England the house prices seem to have only fallen a wee bit like about maybe 10% to 20% at least in the south anyway,
And as you point out Barb in Australia the prices dont seem to have pplummetedmuch either,

But OMG ---- American homeowners really suffered BIG TIME, my friend in Vegas bought his house 6 months before the crash and he has lost half his value, he bought it for $220k and now it maybe worth $110k but he thinks less then that now, so all I can say is the reason for this is probably just cause the big crash in 2008 all started in America, and all the other countries felt it of course but in a much milder form. what do you think?
Just saying.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:54 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

WOW Barb when I Immigrated to Australia in 1965 when I was a little whipper snapper of just 19 you could buy a very nice house for about £4,000 (Oz pounds) that was before they went decimal to dollars

But anyway getting back to American house prices that lost sooooo much of there value since the hhousing& banking (MESS) crash in 2008, it seems as far as I can see that in England the house prices seem to have only fallen a wee bit like about maybe 10% to 20% at least in the south anyway,
And as you point out Barb in Australia the prices dont seem to have pplummetedmuch either,

But OMG ---- American homeowners really suffered BIG TIME, my friend in Vegas bought his house 6 months before the crash and he has lost half his value, he bought it for $220k and now it maybe worth $110k but he thinks less then that now, so all I can say is the reason for this is probably just cause the big crash in 2008 all started in America, and all the other countries felt it of course but in a much milder form. what do you think?
Just saying.
Well I would agree with your American bit we bought in '05 for $74,000 its now worth about $40,000!

Taking in its path all our downpayment and mortgage repayments...

The house next door to us was originally worth about $120,000 -it sold for $23,000

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:55 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome

Well I would agree with your American bit we bought in '05 for $74,000 its now worth about $40,000!

The house next door to us was originally worth about $120,000 -it sold for $23,000

Now those are sensible and realistic prices and I hope when you get home you will find comparable prices for your new home.

You 'maybe' are only losing $35,000, wont you agree that is a lot less than some people have lost? Looking at the bright side here. That is about $472 a month. So if you ad that to the mortgage payments you were making and that would be your considered rent for that period. Also, I'm sure the mortgage payments would have reduced your tax for those years. Again, looking at the bright side.
Another thing I think you are quite young, if I remember correctly, so you can recover. Some of us have experienced these ups and downs in our lives.
Another advantage you have in your favor is your able to work and have income for quite a few years to come.
Does this seem preachy?

and another thing, unlike me, you don't have to go into the hospital for an operation tomorrow. Boooo!

Old Nov 21st 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers

Now those are sensible and realistic prices and I hope when you get home you will find comparable prices for your new home.

You 'maybe' are only losing $35,000, wont you agree that is a lot less than some people have lost? Looking at the bright side here. That is about $472 a month. So if you ad that to the mortgage payments you were making and that would be your considered rent for that period. Also, I'm sure the mortgage payments would have reduced your tax for those years. Again, looking at the bright side.
Another thing I think you are quite young, if I remember correctly, so you can recover. Some of us have experienced these ups and downs in our lives.
Another advantage you have in your favor is your able to work and have income for quite a few years to come.
Does this seem preachy?

and another thing, unlike me, you don't have to go into the hospital for an operation tomorrow. Boooo!
Alrighty then

I'm sorry about your operation ...heres to a very speedy recovery Cheers.

Old Nov 21st 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

My offer to buy a 2 bedroom flat in Eastbourne has been rejected, so I shall add another £5000 tomorrow.

It is an absolutely perfect location for me, one block from the seafront, and 5 minutes walk from the shops. A very nice street too.

Curiously it is lacking white goods in the kitchen, so I have to take this into account. I would also need to renovate the shower room, and have a wardrobe fitted in the main bedroom.

Que Sera Sera . . .
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look at this one?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...&premiumA=true
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Sovereign Harbour is too far from the centre of town and appears to be a sterile new area. As a house agent said to me, you either like it or hate it. I think it would be difficult for me to settle there without a car.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome

Wow!

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:56 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this Cheers. Nothing too serious I hope? Anyway, wishing you all the best for tomorrow.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:56 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
My offer to buy a 2 bedroom flat in Eastbourne has been rejected, so I shall add another £5000 tomorrow.

It is an absolutely perfect location for me, one block from the seafront, and 5 minutes walk from the shops. A very nice street too.

Curiously it is lacking white goods in the kitchen, so I have to take this into account. I would also need to renovate the shower room, and have a wardrobe fitted in the main bedroom.

Que Sera Sera . . .
Well, even though I had thought it might be best to rent first, I am really glad that you have found something so suitable so quickly. Here's to a successful conclusion :sunglasses:.

How are you liking being back in England so far?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.