Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czhZbqpyBm8&ob=av2n
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:47 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Wow Gab, Sally and Pauline you guys are sure on the move. Not long now for the greatest reunion ever.
It is funny that we're all on the move around the same time. I wonder who'll make it home first!

Amd we're totally on for that reunion, although I suppose it will have to be in the midlands somewhere ... neutral ground between north and sarf
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I'm a positive person, but the idea of plentiful jobs is so far away, 50.000 factories have been closed down over the past ten years, those jobs wont come back so fast, Id love to see people boycott some products made in China, Americans need to stick together and Buy American, thats what it it will take in my opinion.

Congress have to change their attitude too, they have no clue how the rest of us live, the goal should not be to replace the president but to help create jobs, they promised job creation a year ago, but still refuse to sign Obama's job program, we need to cut their benefits package, they have it far too easy, they should be paid relative to how well the country is doing, Most are bought off by big Business thats the number one problem, many simply dont care a toss about us.
You said it Fish. :sunglasses: It's just descended into politicking reminiscent of 5 year olds saying "I'm not playing with you." rather than doing what is best for the country.

Speaking of which, when you have some time, I highly recommend a read of this article about Fox News. It's incredibly scary stuff.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ctory-20110525

I have been going through cupboards and last night was going through years of papers. It was a bit depressing to remember how much money I used to make compared to what I make now . But I consulted to all levels of government... city, state, federal... and just couldn't bear any more to see the massive waste of taxpayers money. The price we pay for our principles !
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Bee. Will you be spending Xmas with family? Or settling in to your new pad? I always have a difficult time at Xmas... usually by myself. I have been to NC to visit my daughter a few times (she won't come back here) but can't do that this year. Maybe my son will come over. I get invites from friends but for me Xmas is family time and I don't really want to be the token orphan .
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Well people, it starts here for me.

We just had a couple of young guys come round in a van and haul away tons of our accumulated junk. They recycle and donate stuff as well as throwing away the true junk, so that makes me feel better about unloading all the stuff we don't need.

We were handling the whole process ourselves until I developed chronic shoulder pain and my husband put his back out. Now we have no choice but to pay someone.

They're coming back next week to take away 5,000+ CDs for donation and once that's done, we'll be ready for the decorator and handyman, both of whom are starting the first week of January.

Fun times!
Wow Sally, this is really it! Such a difference from a couple of years ago when the whole thing was just a hope in the future....

Exciting....and tiring. Don't overdo it (though it sounds as if you both already have!)

Tina
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have started proper too Sally.
Dh has pulled some man stuff from the garage and photographed it for sale on our local online face book sale page and I have listed what feels like six billion model trains on eBay. Older son went off to UK and "forgot' they were there I think I deserve all the money with all the photographing and listing and then the parcels to the post office will be a pain. I can see why people just call good will and have them haul it all away.
!!!!!! You certainly deserve a hefty cut of the train sale!

In the end my husband donated his trains to a family with train-loving boys, so they were thrilled, trains went to a good home, and no photos/ebay/packages to post office!

Anyway, good luck with it all.

Tina
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Our home is listed and it will eventually go for a short sale.

We have lost all we invested.

But we are on our way home in 3 months...can't beat that
Gab, you too!!!! wow....it is really happening al over the place now.

Good luck to the movers...and to those who can't quite do it yet, hang in there....these people now moving home were no-where near doing so a year or two or three ago....

Tina
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It is funny that we're all on the move around the same time. I wonder who'll make it home first!

Amd we're totally on for that reunion, although I suppose it will have to be in the midlands somewhere ... neutral ground between north and sarf
I think it'll be a race of who can sell the house first. I have a gut feeling I, like Trotty, will be held back by mine.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
You said it Fish. :sunglasses: It's just descended into politicking reminiscent of 5 year olds saying "I'm not playing with you." rather than doing what is best for the country.
This what frustrates me most, nothing is getting done on some idiots principal, we can't eat principal.
Maybe my son will come over. I get invites from friends but for me Xmas is family time and I don't really want to be the token orphan .
Be the orphan, our family always invited lots of people who for one reason or another found themselves with family away or unable to travel to see family and we all had a blast.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
What a bummer.......so sorry to hear this....
My computer is playing up today...it won't let me quote but

anyway thanks so much for the support everyone ...

Weird...this quote from Celtic is what I tried to quote with yesterday

oh well...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think it'll be a race of who can sell the house first. I have a gut feeling I, like Trotty, will be held back by mine.
I do hope not. I'm worried about this too. Some houses round us have sold really quickly, and others have sat on the market forever. In the end, as the agent told us, it's all about price. If it's priced right, it will sell. If not, it will just sit there as Trotty's did.

Whenever someone says 'this house just won't sell' what they actually mean is that they're not prepared to drop the price to true market level, because at it's true value, it will sell.

The hard thing is determining what that right price is. The houses around us are all so different that it's hard to compare them and come up with a value.

and to those who can't quite do it yet, hang in there....these people now moving home were no-where near doing so a year or two or three ago....
This is such a good point. Just two years ago, I honestly didn't think I'd get to this point. It just shows that anything can happen if you're patient (or as in my case, if you stamp your feet hard enough )
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I do hope not. I'm worried about this too. Some houses round us have sold really quickly, and others have sat on the market forever. In the end, as the agent told us, it's all about price. If it's priced right, it will sell. If not, it will just sit there as Trotty's did.

Whenever someone says 'this house just won't sell' what they actually mean is that they're not prepared to drop the price to true market level, because at it's true value, it will sell.

The hard thing is determining what that right price is. The houses around us are all so different that it's hard to compare them and come up with a value.

This is such a good point. Just two years ago, I honestly didn't think I'd get to this point. It just shows that anything can happen if you're patient (or as in my case, if you stamp your feet hard enough )
I think that is the problem here too, all the houses are custom, no cookie cutter development around us. So it is hard to compare. Some are on un usable land others, (like ours) can be fully used, even though our house is smaller (sqft) it's in better condition than many and has a better piece of land with fantastic views at the top of a hill. So I can't for the life of me figure out a price really. Also I'm torn, do we put in the new carpets we need, or sell as is, if it's worth putting in the carpets or not! So frustrating.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 4:48 pm
Finally Home!

Also I'm torn, do we put in the new carpets we need, or sell as is, if it's worth putting in the carpets or not! So frustrating.
Did you ask a realtor's opinion?

I had all sorts of plans for this house, but when we had the realtor round, she didn't think most of them were worth doing. OTOH, she pointed out some interesting bits and pieces we wouldn't have thought of - mainly rearranging or getting rid of certain pieces of furniture along with the obvious decorating and handyman stuff.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 5:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Did you ask a realtor's opinion?

I had all sorts of plans for this house, but when we had the realtor round, she didn't think most of them were worth doing. OTOH, she pointed out some interesting bits and pieces we wouldn't have thought of - mainly rearranging or getting rid of certain pieces of furniture along with the obvious decorating and handyman stuff.
We will have a couple of realtors round once we get Ds off, we plan on getting rid of his bunk beds and making his room more a guest room/office with things we already have. it'll also make the living room bigger. Still loads to get rid of.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of which, when you have some time, I highly recommend a read of this article about Fox News. It's incredibly scary stuff.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ctory-20110525

I have been going through cupboards and last night was going through years of papers. It was a bit depressing to remember how much money I used to make compared to what I make now . But I consulted to all levels of government... city, state, federal... and just couldn't bear any more to see the massive waste of taxpayers money. The price we pay for our principles !
I know who this guy is, I couldn't stand to read more than the first page, it would truly ruin my day, Im dead serious, Fox are scum, they go under the radar and fools believe their lies, Murdoch, Huhhhh he was the backer and so I hope he rots in jail... he has done serious damage in this country, everyone is so divided by this political stuff, it didnt used to be this way, America is NOT the same place where you used to live, its why I want OUT!, people just dont care and many cant think for themselves, everything has to be delivered on a flat screen or they cant process it, (I think process is the wrong word), I'm surrounded by this thinking or lack of it and thats what annoys me...

Yesterday I was talking with some ladies in a hair salon, asking what they thought about the local Occupy movement, one my age responed she was totally behind them, the 30 yr olds where just concerned about the cost of police overtime and that it was coming out of their taxes, I found that funny as Ive heard their tax discusions before, they dont declare enough to pay anything, cash in hand etc...

I tried to educate them about whats been going on over the years, and how this movements work would benefit their kids, they werent too interested, they said they dont watch the news, their kids watch sports all the time, so I moved to the penn state issue, their concern was not for these poor molested kids but for the men who had worked years to build this college team and were fired, I was amazed and told them if it was their child they would have a different view... this is how some in America think, its blows me away, America is all about the Kids, so how come they consider some college sport more important... I dont need an answer, its just the point I'm making...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.