Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123

MITF
I do remember that post a long time ago on here about all the stages we go through when we come home to stay, you know I wish we had it to read again, it would be very helpful to a lot of people dont you think,
CHEERS would be the one to find that post

Rodney.
A. A. I might find it if you help.
How long ago was it written?
Who wrote, do you remember?
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
YES YES YES, I got the job.

OK it's not my first choice out of the two, but I feel such an ENORMOUS relief that I have managed to scrape myself back up yet again.

New Malden, Surrey here I come, I will be a soft shandy swilling Southerner LOL!!
Big congratulations to you! What a wonderful early Xmas gift :-)
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:57 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, this seems like a great website to check out volunteering options that might suit you in your local area

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

Strangely enough I didn't volunteer when I lived in the UK but it was the first thing I did when I moved to Nova Scotia. Definitely helped me form new friendships and feel part of my new community

Last edited by Cookie; Nov 15th 2011 at 8:59 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confuse you all..........

In 1973 one year before I moved out to live permanently in USA, I took advantage of the first UK/US first cheap charter flights to the US, signed at the time by both governments, Gatwick to New York for 48 pounds for a full round trip ticket, Jet Blue was the charter company if my memory serves me correctly,
At the travel agency in Portsmouth where I booked my flight ---- at the same time I purchased a (GREYHOUND BUS TICKET) valid for three whole months of (UNLIMITED) travel all over the US and Canada, ---- the price was $198 US at that time,
I was 28 years old at that time, when I arrived in New york I stayed for 2 days, then hopped on a Greyhound bus to Toronto, I traveled from there to Vancouver BC stoping off at many cities and provinces including Calgary & Edmonton, Alberta, Saskatchewan, stayed in Vancouver for a week, loved it,
Then greyhound to L.A. stayed there for 2 weeks, had a great time, met a lot of interesting people, spent a lot of time drinking in bars in west hollywood, great hospitality, great people, I think that was when I fell in love with America, and American people, the lay back so casual way of life at that time in the early 70,s was definitely my cup of tea, I knew that this is where I wanted to be,
Then back on board the greyhound to San Diego, that was pretty nice too,
Back on the bus traveling along the California coast to San Francisco, stayed there for a wonderful 2 more weeks, fell in love with that city too, thought it was the most interesting and unique city I have ever been to, weather was not as nice and warm as southern california but other things more then compensated,
I remember going to Berkeley California too and as I was walking around the streets and seeing all the Hippies and all the little shopping areas with so many speciality shops in the streets, everything and everyone looked so free to me,
No stress people, flower children every where, probably everyone was so happy cause all the hippies were always high on weed or whatever,
In those days I was very much still a hippie from the mid 60,s when I lived in Australia for 4 years,
Saw New Orleans had a dinner and few drinks,
Anyway to cut this story short I went from coast to coast in Canada and coast to coast in USA on a greyhound bus, went a bit Inland too, Texas and other States, didn't like Dallas or Huston much though too many wanna be city cowboys who cant even ride a horse with an attitude,
ended up back in New York a week before my flight back to London, had a fantastic week there too, what a great city that is, and what a great people they are there, and the New Jersey people that I met and talked to were in a class of there own, there fast talkers and thinkers, if ya got something to say give it to me but give it to me fast cause I aint getting any younger, I love those people there,
All in all my experience with Greyhound with my three months trip around North America was great, comfortable, and safe, and in those days real cheap, what do I know maybe its changed a little over the years ---- after all things do change over time ---- tell me about it, 37 years worth of change I would say
So here I am now in 2010 ---- 36 years has passed in my life in America and Ive grown old here, and in 5 weeks time I will be back in England where I was born and raised,to go back home to England for the rest of my life,
I am definitely ready, the time in my life is perfect now, and I will except England as it is now, not even wasting a thought of what it used to be,
Many things have changed just like over here, but thats life,
All I ask of my Mother England is please except me as you see me (NOW) too,
Take care Ya All, ya all come back now,
Rodney.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

This the best I could find on the stages we go through settling in.
http://friendsofgreenschool.org/?page_id=410 It isn't the orignial one posted though.
Congrats Bee on getting the Surrey job
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OK it's not my first choice out of the two, but I feel such an ENORMOUS relief that I have managed to scrape myself back up yet again.

New Malden, Surrey here I come, I will be a soft shandy swilling Southerner LOL!!
WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! How exciting!

When do you start the new job?

You may be able to meet up with some of the peeps who've also returned to the UK - I think Denise (who recently stopped posting here - she loves her tea won't be too far away and I'm sure she would love to see you.

Just think on your days off you can go and visit places like Hampton Court Palace, Kew Gardens and of course central London etc. Didn't you recently get membership of the National Trust? There will be so many places to explore in the South East....unless your niece is hoping you're going to be her weekend babysitter LOL!

Anyway when it's wine o'clock I will be raising a glass of to congratulate you! Well done! Although you say it's isn't your first choice, it may lead to better things
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Barb WOWEEEEEEEE that is absolutely fantastic, CONGRATULATIONS to you me dear, yes I bet you do feel good now ----- dont you!!!!! time to celebrate, brake open the jack danials, have a beer on me
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope I didn't offend Rodney but was just putting myself in your shoes and picturing living with MY mother for 11 months.
Oh Barb please, of course you didn't offend me in the least, I understand what you were saying,
New Malden Surrey Huh, well one day we will have to have a beer and a pastie together,
Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

As if there was ever any doubt! Congratulations to you! Time to pour a glass of wine to celebrate. Does this mean you'll be like Mrs Hughes on Downton?

Oh well, it will give me something to tease you about.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 4:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody!!

It is now 4.30am and I just cannot sleep, I cannot wait to hand in my notice today at work.

The boss is a really nice guy but he expects WAY too much work out of people and I am over it, the young ones will stay back until 8pm to catch up and I am not prepared to do that at this stage of my life, I don't mind the odd day but not continually. Can't remember if I wrote this before but one girl is taking work home with her and working until 9.30pm every night as she can't catch up in the day. This is all fine and dandy if you want a career and are looking to move up in the company but I just wanted a job. I don't know if it's because they are scared of losing their jobs or they want stellar careers in the company or if it's the American way or if they don't know any better as they haven't had as many jobs as me lol.

And as boring as the House Manager job can be, and oh it can be, believe me, it is preferable to dreading going to work every day, not only because of the workload but because of the "office culture" well I just don't want to work under these conditions any longer so I'm not, so there.

The other development had a bigger, nicer flat and had just had brand new carpets put down, new double glazed windows and a lovely new kitchen. The flat at the one I am going to is not as nice and the kitchen is tiny but they are putting a new kitchen in and it's not exactly like I have to cook for a family is it? So trying to put a positive spin on this a la Sallysimmons. At least I will be speaking to real live people every day which has to be better than the insular life I have been living for the past 6 months here in Manchesterford.

And yes EM you are right, I am quite near to Hampton Court Palace (14 minutes to Hampton Court train station from New Malden station) so that is definitely on my wish list and of course I will catch up with DDL/Denise for a nice cuppa, she can show me around the tea shops. And yes I will put my National Trust membership into good use.

I will get rid of my car, the repairs and tyres cost me £216 on Monday morning, thank God for my well used credit card which has helped me out enormously this past month or so since I got it, it has taken a right battering.

Sooo I am aiming to move round about the first week in December, I will hand in my notice to my landlord today, have to give one month's notice so I will be paying a few weeks rent but won't be here. I am also supposed to give one month's notice at my job but will be handing in my notice today and leaving on December 2nd, it says in my contract that if I fall short of the one month I have to forfeit pay but as I have 7 days annual leave it will only be short a few days and quite frankly I don't care as I am soooo over it.

We deal with road transport companies every day so will check out with one of them today if they can move boxes down south for me, no furniture just books, clothes, dishes, etc. Then I will have to give my credit card another battering to buy furniture.

Then I can send for my stuff from Australia which is still in storage and can hopefully stick some glue on the soles of my shoes as one friend put it.

p.s. Of course we will meet up Rodney, I can't wait to have a shandy with you. And oh of course anybody else darn sarf.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 16th 2011 at 4:17 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Good Lord, you go away for a few days and then try catching up on this thread.

Fish... I would love to take a fact finding trip back to the UK but no funds at present. We gardeners don't have a heck of a lot of work in the winter but I am taking care of Andrea Collins art gallery a few days a week until end of Dec so that should keep me afloat at least.

Every trip I take to the UK is a "Do I want to live here?" mission.

I've been taking a couple of textile courses in Van, as I do every fall with artists from all over the world. Fantastic. And it occurred to me Rodney (as I think someone else has suggested) that a course is a wonderful way to meet people, much easier than accosting strangers in a pub or coffee bar because you are working together and getting to know them over a period of time. There must be something that you would like to take a course in at a local community centre, right? Friends and outside interests are what I think you need. Are you sick of us all putting in our 2 cents? Great post by the way on things to write down when we leave.

Aries... I think renting a flat would be the way to go until you find out where you want to buy. Wouldn't jump into a purchase at this point... not even over the jetlag yet.

Mrs Sully... can't believe all you have done in 2 weeks. Amazing.

Someone forgot to tell BW that it was hard to find a job in the UK.

Cheers... who wrote that, you cheeky monkey!

Englishmum... great article on reverse culture shock. I actually never had culture shock when I moved to the US or to Canada. Usually up for a new adventure but won't make the move to the UK until I am absolutely sure it is what I want. In my older years it takes me forever to decide something. I pore over it and go back and forth, but once I decide, that's it. Just not there yet. Sally, it's not that I am going back to noone. In fact I have been amazed at how many people keep offering me a place to stay... my old Vancouver roommate is in Peterborough, my brother's girlfriend said I could stay with her in Stoke, my second cousin wants me to stay with him in Devizes, my dear friend's son says to come and stay with him and his wife in Brighton, my friend Marlow who just moved from BC to Suffolk has asked me to come and stay with her plus I have family all over the place. My daughter in NC would be over there like a shot to visit me and wants me to go back there. Problem. I don't know where I want to be!
My best friends here are both English... one from Great Missenden and one from Stockton who just came back from a visit to the UK (getting together Monday to talk about her trip). I think my problem is twofold... one, uprooting from a comfortable life, home, network to the unknown (never thought I would say that) and the other a son who I am very very close to (too close) who is going through a difficult time. Can't bear the thought of being so far away until he gets things sorted out.
Add to that that it won't be enough for me to just find a nice place and live a routine life. I want to immerse myself in the things that interest me... textile arts, alternative lifestyle, be close to London. It's not that easy to put this whole package together. I'll just keep researching and pondering until the pieces click into place. Timing is everything.

Sorry if I put you all to sleep.

Last edited by bandrui; Nov 16th 2011 at 7:07 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:30 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I want to immerse myself in the things that interest me... textile arts, alternative lifestyle, be close to London. It's not that easy to put this whole package together.
I think it's the London requirement that makes it tough. So many of the areas in striking distance of London are commuter towns with the associated suburban outlook.

I think one of the best places in England for the lifestyle you seek is Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire. It's been voted 'funkiest town in Europe' and '4th Quirkiest Place in the World' because of the alternative lifestyle of many of the people who live there and every other person is an artist or writer (or works for the BBC now with their move to Salford). We're considering it and someone joked that I'd fit in quite well but that the only thing I'm missing is a textile arts degree

I don't care about being close to London because the art and music scene is important to me and I find Manchester's to be more lively and interesting. But I do want to be somewhere where I can take a weekend trip to London if something especially good comes up in one of the theaters or galleries.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Nov 16th 2011 at 11:47 am.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 11:37 am
Finally Home!

The other development had a bigger, nicer flat and had just had brand new carpets put down, new double glazed windows and a lovely new kitchen. The flat at the one I am going to is not as nice and the kitchen is tiny but they are putting a new kitchen in and it's not exactly like I have to cook for a family is it? So trying to put a positive spin on this a la Sallysimmons.
And you can always view this as a stepping stone. It's a way to get current UK experience on your CV while you look for a better place. Sometimes people are reluctant to think that way because they feel its ungrateful - but the company wouldn't hesitate to let you go if it suited them, so you must look out for yourself.

Keep your eye out and whenever you see something in a beautiful place, send in a CV and see what happens. Before you know it, you'll have parlayed this into a job on the Cornish Coast or the shores of Lake Windermere.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everybody!!

It is now 4.30am and I just cannot sleep, I cannot wait to hand in my notice today at work.

The boss is a really nice guy but he expects WAY too much work out of people and I am over it, the young ones will stay back until 8pm to catch up and I am not prepared to do that at this stage of my life, I don't mind the odd day but not continually. Can't remember if I wrote this before but one girl is taking work home with her and working until 9.30pm every night as she can't catch up in the day. This is all fine and dandy if you want a career and are looking to move up in the company but I just wanted a job. I don't know if it's because they are scared of losing their jobs or they want stellar careers in the company or if it's the American way or if they don't know any better as they haven't had as many jobs as me lol.

And as boring as the House Manager job can be, and oh it can be, believe me, it is preferable to dreading going to work every day, not only because of the workload but because of the "office culture" well I just don't want to work under these conditions any longer so I'm not, so there.

The other development had a bigger, nicer flat and had just had brand new carpets put down, new double glazed windows and a lovely new kitchen. The flat at the one I am going to is not as nice and the kitchen is tiny but they are putting a new kitchen in and it's not exactly like I have to cook for a family is it? So trying to put a positive spin on this a la Sallysimmons. At least I will be speaking to real live people every day which has to be better than the insular life I have been living for the past 6 months here in Manchesterford.

And yes EM you are right, I am quite near to Hampton Court Palace (14 minutes to Hampton Court train station from New Malden station) so that is definitely on my wish list and of course I will catch up with DDL/Denise for a nice cuppa, she can show me around the tea shops. And yes I will put my National Trust membership into good use.

I will get rid of my car, the repairs and tyres cost me £216 on Monday morning, thank God for my well used credit card which has helped me out enormously this past month or so since I got it, it has taken a right battering.

Sooo I am aiming to move round about the first week in December, I will hand in my notice to my landlord today, have to give one month's notice so I will be paying a few weeks rent but won't be here. I am also supposed to give one month's notice at my job but will be handing in my notice today and leaving on December 2nd, it says in my contract that if I fall short of the one month I have to forfeit pay but as I have 7 days annual leave it will only be short a few days and quite frankly I don't care as I am soooo over it.

We deal with road transport companies every day so will check out with one of them today if they can move boxes down south for me, no furniture just books, clothes, dishes, etc. Then I will have to give my credit card another battering to buy furniture.

Then I can send for my stuff from Australia which is still in storage and can hopefully stick some glue on the soles of my shoes as one friend put it.

p.s. Of course we will meet up Rodney, I can't wait to have a shandy with you. And oh of course anybody else darn sarf.
Barb your work situation sounds so American, is it an American company you work for? I think you gave it your best, and so that's that.

Congrats on the job/position, Good for you, its sounds really nice, I'm with Sally, use it as a stepping stone, focus on the positives.

If your boss gets a bit funny, with you should educate the young kids about working after hours for no pay, they are sure to be working for much less then they think, lol, it all goes in the pockets of the wealthy.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Good Lord, you go away for a few days and then try catching up on this thread.

Fish... I would love to take a fact finding trip back to the UK but no funds at present. We gardeners don't have a heck of a lot of work in the winter but I am taking care of Andrea Collins art gallery a few days a week until end of Dec so that should keep me afloat at least.

Every trip I take to the UK is a "Do I want to live here?" mission.

I've been taking a couple of textile courses in Van, as I do every fall with artists from all over the world. Fantastic. And it occurred to me Rodney (as I think someone else has suggested) that a course is a wonderful way to meet people, much easier than accosting strangers in a pub or coffee bar because you are working together and getting to know them over a period of time. There must be something that you would like to take a course in at a local community centre, right? Friends and outside interests are what I think you need. Are you sick of us all putting in our 2 cents? Great post by the way on things to write down when we leave.

Aries... I think renting a flat would be the way to go until you find out where you want to buy. Wouldn't jump into a purchase at this point... not even over the jetlag yet.

Mrs Sully... can't believe all you have done in 2 weeks. Amazing.

Someone forgot to tell BW that it was hard to find a job in the UK.

Cheers... who wrote that, you cheeky monkey!

Englishmum... great article on reverse culture shock. I actually never had culture shock when I moved to the US or to Canada. Usually up for a new adventure but won't make the move to the UK until I am absolutely sure it is what I want. In my older years it takes me forever to decide something. I pore over it and go back and forth, but once I decide, that's it. Just not there yet. Sally, it's not that I am going back to noone. In fact I have been amazed at how many people keep offering me a place to stay... my old Vancouver roommate is in Peterborough, my brother's girlfriend said I could stay with her in Stoke, my second cousin wants me to stay with him in Devizes, my dear friend's son says to come and stay with him and his wife in Brighton, my friend Marlow who just moved from BC to Suffolk has asked me to come and stay with her plus I have family all over the place. My daughter in NC would be over there like a shot to visit me and wants me to go back there. Problem. I don't know where I want to be!
My best friends here are both English... one from Great Missenden and one from Stockton who just came back from a visit to the UK (getting together Monday to talk about her trip). I think my problem is twofold... one, uprooting from a comfortable life, home, network to the unknown (never thought I would say that) and the other a son who I am very very close to (too close) who is going through a difficult time. Can't bear the thought of being so far away until he gets things sorted out.
Add to that that it won't be enough for me to just find a nice place and live a routine life. I want to immerse myself in the things that interest me... textile arts, alternative lifestyle, be close to London. It's not that easy to put this whole package together. I'll just keep researching and pondering until the pieces click into place. Timing is everything.

Sorry if I put you all to sleep.
Linda...

"Every trip I take to the UK is a "Do I want to live here?"mission"

That really answers the question doesn't it, Every trip back for me has been that way too, I just hate getting back on the plane to come back, I don't hate America, I just LOVE the UK...

Its nice that you have so many offers of a place to stay, many people would love just one offer...

After reading about your son and knowing you are iffy right now I think I would stick by your son a little longer... then maybe you can leave without any worries...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.