Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:01 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Vitamin D (sunshine vitamin) is promoted in Canada, where we have lots of winter sunshine but can't really be too exposed to it because of the cold.

I started taking Vitamin D last winter and never got a sniffle or cold, or felt overly tired and 'low' which normally happened over the winter months. Only cost about $4 for 90 pills and is probably as cheap in the UK.

Feeling low, can also come from being bored especially after retiring from work. Maybe consider volunteering as a way of getting out and about, meeting new people and of course helping needy causes.

http://www.life-with-confidence.com/...vitamin-d.html
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Fish and Jasper for your honest posts re moving back. And Englishmum for the article on reverse culture shock. It's a real dilemma. If my Mum was still alive, I wouldn't hesitate and really wish I had gone back when she was, or indeed when both my parents were still alive. I deeply regret not doing this but there were reasons at the time that I could not go back then.

I find myself going back and forth. One day I am absolutely sure I want to go back, then a few weeks later I am questioning if this is really what I want to do. It is less a question of countries and more a question of personal circumstances. I have good friends here and a house with a suite that I rent out, and a large studio, that I know I would not be able to replace in England. I live on an island that is full of rebels like me and think that things are a little more controlled in England.

I don't have the cash flow to go back for regular visits like others here on BE, but miss many things about the old country. In fact, most of my money is tied up in my house so not even sure how I would be able to go back without selling. It is constantly on my mind and can only continue to research until I decide one way or the other, or win the lottery.

On the subject of winter, I consider my wood-burning fireplace to be my winter sunshine. It is so cosy. But I also have 2 Ott lights; one in my living room and one in my office. They are full spectrum natural light, which I have banks of in my studio. It makes a huge difference.

I have noticed that people talk about Canada as if there is only one climate zone, but just as in the US there is a big difference between California and say New England, so is there between BC and Ontario, at least coastal BC. It continues to be very mild here and we have not had a freeze yet. This afternoon I was working in my garden and there are still roses and nasturtiums in bloom as well as the flowers in my hanging baskets. We did have a windstorm blow through here on Friday and the power went out for an hour, brought down some trees on the island but today is quite warm.

Last edited by bandrui; Nov 14th 2011 at 2:40 am.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Well I am back in England albeit tired after such a long journey. I was fortunate on the flight from Singapore to Heathrow, a row of 4 seats near mine on the Singapore Airlines A380 were empty, so I quickly jumped in there, put the armrests back, and could lie down for most of the flight. However I didn't have much sleep, so throughout Thursday I was like a zombie, and eventually gave in at 7.20 in the evening.

My first impression of life back home hit an immediate glitch in Terminal 2, I bought a milkshake which was the worst I've ever had. Not mixed properly with chunks of ice, overly sweet in not a pleasant way, and incredibly small for the money.

The weather isn't cold which is a blessing, but I'm sure that will come soon.

I'm surprised how cheap the supermarkets are compared with Australia, yet family members here have long being warning me that everything is expensive. Yesterday I shopped at both Sainsbury and Tesco in Leamington Spa, and I remain agog at how low most prices are. The supermarket aisles are also much wider than in Oz, back in Adelaide with Coles and Woolies they are narrow and generally cluttered.

I've been having difficulties accessing the Internet with my iPad 2, and was surprised to be told that in the UK I couldn't have more than a £20 3 GB sim card. That was the lowest available in Adelaide. At Curries they wanted to charge me £20 for installing the card as well as the cost of the card, but at Carphone Warehouse it was all part of the service.

It is now just after four in the morning, so I had better lie down again.
I was wondering about the early impressions. Keep the accounts coming as are very helpful and interesting to those of us still in the early stages of looking into options of moving.
Is Eastbourne still in consideration for living? Any other thoughts?
Happy early days of being back.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

CarolPat is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I've been back nearly 4 weeks now and have found the transition easier than expected for the most part. That may be because there have been so many issues blending my cat family with my mother's that everything else seems easy by comparison! I foresee finding my own place during December but, for now, we are working on the cat problems. I'm off to Milan next week which will actually be my first trip to Europe since the EU was formed! Should be interesting. I watched the Remembrance Day ceremony yesterday and it was Britain at its best - I got quite teary. Tomorrow I'm meeting two Atlanta friends for tea in London. They are passing through on vacation. I suspect I'll start to miss my US life more after spending time with them.....
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:49 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, I'm so sorry to hear you're depressed. I think it's very hard to be without friends when you're also trying to adjust to a new culture. And of course, when you're depressed, it's not really possible to motivate yourself to get out and meet anyone. But it's a vicious cycle and it must be stopped before things get worse. So please, please go to the doctor and talk to him about how you're feeling. A short course of anti-depressants may make all the difference. And don't let them give up if they don't work at first - they have to do blood tests to find the dosage you need.

Vitamin D is great too, but might not be enough. The doctor will know.

When we lived in Canada, I suffered quite badly from anxiety and depression (wish I had realized I should have just gone home!), and needed anti-depressants for a year. When they started to work, it was as though a black cloud had lifted from over my head and suddenly, everything just seemed easier to handle. I haven't needed them since, thank God, but I've never forgotten that feeling.

Bandrui, my own feeling is that if you have doubts, it's best not to do it. Moving countries is a huge wrench even when it's what you want more than anything in the world. But when it's not ... I can't see how it can be a good idea. I know it's none of my business, but whenever people leave a good community and close friends to go back to a place where they know no one, it never seems to work out well.

Aries and CarolPat, thanks so much for the updates. I love hearing all your news.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Rodney, I'm so sorry to hear you're depressed. I think it's very hard to be without friends when you're also trying to adjust to a new culture. And of course, when you're depressed, it's not really possible to motivate yourself to get out and meet anyone. But it's a vicious cycle and it must be stopped before things get worse. So please, please go to the doctor and talk to him about how you're feeling. A short course of anti-depressants may make all the difference. And don't let them give up if they don't work at first - they have to do blood tests to find the dosage you need.

Vitamin D is great too, but might not be enough. The doctor will know.

When we lived in Canada, I suffered quite badly from anxiety and depression (wish I had realized I should have just gone home!), and needed anti-depressants for a year. When they started to work, it was as though a black cloud had lifted from over my head and suddenly, everything just seemed easier to handle. I haven't needed them since, thank God, but I've never forgotten that feeling.

Oh Sally Id do anything sooner than go down that road, anti-depressants my have worked for you but are not the answer for everyone, there are many different levels of depression as I see it, drugs react in many different ways, look at all the problems with Prozac, its a common drug in the UK...

I think Rodney just needs to get a friend or two and then things would seem much better for him...

Im not saying you are wrong, but it would certainly be my last resort.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thank you Fish and Jasper for your honest posts re moving back. And Englishmum for the article on reverse culture shock. It's a real dilemma. If my Mum was still alive, I wouldn't hesitate and really wish I had gone back when she was, or indeed when both my parents were still alive. I deeply regret not doing this but there were reasons at the time that I could not go back then.

I find myself going back and forth. One day I am absolutely sure I want to go back, then a few weeks later I am questioning if this is really what I want to do. It is less a question of countries and more a question of personal circumstances. I have good friends here and a house with a suite that I rent out, and a large studio, that I know I would not be able to replace in England. I live on an island that is full of rebels like me and think that things are a little more controlled in England.

I don't have the cash flow to go back for regular visits like others here on BE, but miss many things about the old country. In fact, most of my money is tied up in my house so not even sure how I would be able to go back without selling. It is constantly on my mind and can only continue to research until I decide one way or the other, or win the lottery.

On the subject of winter, I consider my wood-burning fireplace to be my winter sunshine. It is so cosy. But I also have 2 Ott lights; one in my living room and one in my office. They are full spectrum natural light, which I have banks of in my studio. It makes a huge difference.

I have noticed that people talk about Canada as if there is only one climate zone, but just as in the US there is a big difference between California and say New England, so is there between BC and Ontario, at least coastal BC. It continues to be very mild here and we have not had a freeze yet. This afternoon I was working in my garden and there are still roses and nasturtiums in bloom as well as the flowers in my hanging baskets. We did have a windstorm blow through here on Friday and the power went out for an hour, brought down some trees on the island but today is quite warm.
Hello Linda.
It really is a dilemma, maybe you need a UK vacation to get a better feel for things, to really check things out and to weigh it up, nothing beats the actual living there with all the good and bad, we all love our UK holidays and know they are so romantic in our minds, but I think a fact finding and feeling finding visit might be a good thing.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:47 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

We are back in the UK and finally got broadband we have been here 2 weeks and it has been chaos. Just a quick run down. Moved into the house, arranged car insurance (nightmare) bought car, bought iPhone to use with iPad as a 'hotspot', organized new carpets, dishwasher, phone, mattress, solid fuel burner (to replace electric one), chose paint. Registered with GP, electoral roll and council tax. Oh and unpacked 244 boxes! OH has started painting and finished one room already. Now we just have to find where we put the Gin for the G& T's. There are mornings when I wake up and wonder what we are doing, then I remember that we are on an adventure. I miss my children and grandchildren dearly but I had prepared myself for these feelings. When I get a bit sad I just ring them and now with broadband I can get onto Skype again. To all of you embarking on your own 'adventure', you will find challenging days but there will be fun days as well. I wasn't prepared for the short days, I had forgotten how dark it is at 4 pm, this can be hard to get used to again. Christmas is just around the corner and that brings it's own special joy. Now it is time for me to breathe a little and start to enjoy this time. I will write in now and then and give you an update on how things are going. I think it is the real strength of this forum that we are able to share our ups and downs. To TT You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
We are back in the UK and finally got broadband we have been here 2 weeks and it has been chaos. Just a quick run down. Moved into the house, arranged car insurance (nightmare) bought car, bought iPhone to use with iPad as a 'hotspot', organized new carpets, dishwasher, phone, mattress, solid fuel burner (to replace electric one), chose paint. Registered with GP, electoral roll and council tax. Oh and unpacked 244 boxes! OH has started painting and finished one room already. Now we just have to find where we put the Gin for the G& T's. There are mornings when I wake up and wonder what we are doing, then I remember that we are on an adventure. I miss my children and grandchildren dearly but I had prepared myself for these feelings. When I get a bit sad I just ring them and now with broadband I can get onto Skype again. To all of you embarking on your own 'adventure', you will find challenging days but there will be fun days as well. I wasn't prepared for the short days, I had forgotten how dark it is at 4 pm, this can be hard to get used to again. Christmas is just around the corner and that brings it's own special joy. Now it is time for me to breathe a little and start to enjoy this time. I will write in now and then and give you an update on how things are going. I think it is the real strength of this forum that we are able to share our ups and downs. To TT You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Wow Mrs Sully, many of us would love to be in your shoes, it sounds all so exciting, minus the hassles of course, 244 boxes, wow youre like me... Good Luck to you, Enjoy yourself, its all worth it in the end...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:53 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh Sally Id do anything sooner than go down that road, anti-depressants my have worked for you but are not the answer for everyone, there are many different levels of depression as I see it, drugs react in many different ways, look at all the problems with Prozac, its a common drug in the UK...

I think Rodney just needs to get a friend or two and then things would seem much better for him...
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but he's said a few times that he can't face going out and making friends and that's my concern. Depression can just make all that impossible to face, which only makes the spiral worse.

I hope I'm wrong and Rodney comes on here next and tells us all that he has been out to the pub and started going to the local walking group. Then I'll be the first to say 'no drugs!'

Rodney, sorry to be talking about you like you're not here but it's only because we care
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but he's said a few times that he can't face going out and making friends and that's my concern. Depression can just make all that impossible to face, which only makes the spiral worse.

I hope I'm wrong and Rodney comes on here next and tells us all that he has been out to the pub and started going to the local walking group. Then I'll be the first to say 'no drugs!'

Rodney, sorry to be talking about you like you're not here but it's only because we care
I see your point Sally and hope he does too... Id sooner not rush to the drugs and try every other option.

Dont worry Rodney does know we care... I will back out of this subject for now, I dont want to embarrass him...

Im sure there are many other people in Pommy looking for a good pal, they just havent found each other yet...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I was wondering about the early impressions. Keep the accounts coming as are very helpful and interesting to those of us still in the early stages of looking into options of moving.
Is Eastbourne still in consideration for living? Any other thoughts?
Happy early days of being back.
To-day I opened a bank account with Barclays, no hassle, but it took quite a while giving them information.

Yes Eastbourne is still in the picture, my brother and his wife have been contacting real estate agents there, and we drive to the town on Thursday for a look around and view some flats. I'm being more than a little pressured to buy something quickly even if it isn't what I want, but I think it would be a bad move.

I have jet-lag which I didn't have on my trip here 2 years ago, so to pressure me at this time is not in my best interests.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:39 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
To-day I opened a bank account with Barclays, no hassle, but it took quite a while giving them information.

Yes Eastbourne is still in the picture, my brother and his wife have been contacting real estate agents there, and we drive to the town on Thursday for a look around and view some flats. I'm being more than a little pressured to buy something quickly even if it isn't what I want, but I think it would be a bad move.

I have jet-lag which I didn't have on my trip here 2 years ago, so to pressure me at this time is not in my best interests.
You are quite right Aries, don't do anything under pressure, bad move........
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:50 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
bandrui,
Sounds like a pretty darn good Idea to me, at least that way your not committing yourself or to others at home to a permanent move,

Really when you think about it most of us who have returned already like myself have all the intensions of coming home for good when we step on that big jet plane -------- but in the back of our minds regardless how much we want to make the big move work, we know that it may not ----- for all kinds of reasons and circumstances,

Thats why if you have been living permenently in your adopted country for many decades, or most of your life like a lot of us have ------ it is absolutely essential to get citizenship from your adopted country before you decide to come home to U.K. to live, cause we really dont know do we how things are going to turn out after a year or a few years of being home,
It doesn't matter how much you may want to stay in U.K. sometimes your heart aches so very much, too much for your adopted country that has been your (HOME) for more years then you care to remember,
a place where you went to when you were young, and a place that has seen you grow old,

When I first tried coming home for good when my Dad died in 1989, you see I just wanted to be with my Mum, and to comfort her, well in my heart I really wanted to make it work, I got a Job right away, things were going alright I suppose, but in my heart I knew that America was where I really needed to be, it just wasn't working, so my Mum could see how moody I was getting, and we talked it over, and well I ended up going back to the U.S. after 11 months in England,

Kind of like where I am right now time wise in England, Ive been back 11 months and already Im getting moody, it seems to get worse every day, is it something all us returning ex-pats go through? DOES ANYONE KNOW THE AWNSER TO THAT?
I really would love to hear from anyone who have had the same feeling when they returned home, or maybe are going through it right now
Take care,
Rodney.

Well I have to say I am surprised to see this post from you Rodney as I thought you just LOVED being back home........

I do agree with the posts about the lack of daylight, though it is MUCH better down south as I found out last week than it is up here. It definitely affects me I now know that, maybe look into the Vitamins and the lighting as has been suggested.

On another note, I know you love your mum, but do you think it could be affecting you living with her 24/7? I mean one month in my mum's house and I would be running for the hills and you have been there 11 months! Would you consider going into sheltered accomodation? You would meet lots of people but only if you wanted to, or you could just shut the door and be on your own. I believe for retired people the local council will pay your rent and your council tax? Just a thought.............you may not need it as you seem to get on with your mum, but for me I would just HAVE to!!

As has also been said getting out and about and meeting people is the way to go, but not always the easiest thing to do. One of the reasons I am going for these residential jobs is that you are meeting and talking to other people every single day, the residents, their families, the carers, the cleaner, the gardeners, the window cleaner, the plumber, etc. whereas in my current job I sit in front of a computer listening to the inane drivel every day of 4 x 20 somethings and when I have pulled them up a few times because they have overstepped the mark then I am viewed as some old fuddy duddy, well I'm not, but I don't have to listen to things that make me uncomfortable.......

When I was staying in Croydon last week I passed a big house that was called The Darby and Joan club, seems like they had all kinds of goings on and activities for the oldies. Maybe another avenue to explore.

Or you could go and do a course in your local college or library, my mum has just done a one day course at the library on how to use her mobile phone, mind you she has failed miserably judging by the amount of blank messages I get.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Good to hear you are connected once more! Being without your broadband can be a real pain!

I know what you mean about missing the grandkids - yesterday was Ava's first birthday and we missed her party (we had had one here for her at the end of October though) but TBH it is only those special moments when I miss them, for the rest of the time, I barely give them a thought any more - unless I see something I think they would like as a gift.

The dark evenings have come all of a sudden since we left DST and they are a bit of a shock, but I am beginning to enjoy the streetlighted evenings and wrapping round of upcoming Christmas feelings.

Let me know when you have found the G and I will be over - I am in need of a good G&T and my Canberra friend (who makes the best ones in the world) refuses to give me her magic secret because she fears I wont go back for a visit if I know how to do it myself!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.