Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 19th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Did you ask a realtor's opinion?

I had all sorts of plans for this house, but when we had the realtor round, she didn't think most of them were worth doing. OTOH, she pointed out some interesting bits and pieces we wouldn't have thought of - mainly rearranging or getting rid of certain pieces of furniture along with the obvious decorating and handyman stuff.
I was going to suggest the same thing, But Ive worked with two realtors and both saw my items of concern in different ways, maybe I should have got a third opinion, lol.

Carpet was an issue for me, both said not to replace it, #1 thought it wasnt an issue, she didnt notice it, #2 said it was borderline, she said she would sooner show the house and see what potential customers said, she also suggested leaving money for replacement as a bargaining chip, nobody complained, but would they really complain out loud was my thought ?????...

I think new carpet smells nice and thought it may help sell the house, others in my family thought I was crazy, saying some people wouldnt like our color choice (neutral/beige) and dirty it up as they walked around... Plus as soon as you fix that what do they pick on next, a new kitchen???

I sold the house twice and both deals fell through, both were finance issues not carpet, neither party said a word about the carpet...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 6:43 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I was going to suggest the same thing, But Ive worked with two realtors and both saw my items of concern in different ways, maybe I should have got a third opinion, lol.

Carpet was an issue for me, both said not to replace it, #1 thought it wasnt an issue, she didnt notice it, #2 said it was borderline, she said she would sooner show the house and see what potential customers said, she also suggested leaving money for replacement as a bargaining chip, nobody complained, but would they really complain out loud was my thought ?????...

I think new carpet smells nice and thought it may help sell the house, others in my family thought I was crazy, saying some people wouldnt like our color choice (neutral/beige) and dirty it up as they walked around... Plus as soon as you fix that what do they pick on next, a new kitchen???

I sold the house twice and both deals fell through, both were finance issues not carpet, neither party said a word about the carpet...
It's good to hear what others have been through with the house sales. Sorry your still isn't moving.
Dh said we could give it a good shampoo (again) and see what they say. I swear we clean the thing within an inch of it's life. But it's few thousand to replace that I can use for other things, maybe put up a carpet allowance if it'll sweeten the deal, I was thinking maybe a home warrantee as that would make it stand out against all the foreclousures that you have no recourse with.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's good to hear what others have been through with the house sales. Sorry your still isn't moving.
Dh said we could give it a good shampoo (again) and see what they say. I swear we clean the thing within an inch of it's life. But it's few thousand to replace that I can use for other things, maybe put up a carpet allowance if it'll sweeten the deal, I was thinking maybe a home warrantee as that would make it stand out against all the foreclousures that you have no recourse with.
The home inspection should cover the concerns about the houses structural condition, Realtors offer ones that cover dishwashers, water heaters and such, the price I was last quoted was $350, I think it depends on your size and value, still I thought it was reasonable, I think it gives peace of mind and takes you out of the loop, not that there is much chance they will catch up with you in the UK...

Its a buyers market and they are not afraid to ask ridiculously low prices plus closing costs even after you have priced yourself as low as you really want to go, so be aware of that and try not to offer too much, I offered some things and still they wanted lots more and I had to give it to them, I gave them everything as I was desperate to sell...

Id not suggest carpet or anything unless they do, Everybody is greedy right now.
They might be thinking new countertop or garden improvements, its hard to know what they consider important, so draw no attention to anything.

If the carpet is awful or threadbare then get a cheapish one installed, as long as it looks good now who cares, I find its really hard to put a value on carpet you see in homes, 10-20 a square yard, who can tell other than the salesman and installers.

Everyone uses the net and they search using home prices, Knowing what I know now I would never offer a carpet allowance in an advertisement, it puts you at a disadvantage in listing position...

Id concentrate on good pics for the Net, ask yourself what you look for when looking at UK homes, price, curb appeal and pics come at the top of my list, location is very important too, but its not something you can change as the seller...

Are you using a realtor or going it alone?.
Ive always figured Id go it alone but I think these days a realtor can be our only help, a good one will push your home, plus there are pitfalls to avoid, I just want this home sold with no major issues...

Foreclosures are a nightmare and real competition as the banks are running the show... still some foreclosed homes are awful and it takes forever to complete these deals...

Good Luck...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Good one Bee. Will you be spending Xmas with family? Or settling in to your new pad? I always have a difficult time at Xmas... usually by myself. I have been to NC to visit my daughter a few times (she won't come back here) but can't do that this year. Maybe my son will come over. I get invites from friends but for me Xmas is family time and I don't really want to be the token orphan .
That reminds me of the movie with Sandra Bullock ---- while you were sleeping, she was so lonely but the family not hers but his ---- invited her over for Christmas and someone gave her a present and she was just holding on to this unwrapped present as though it was her very first ---- and she would be looking around the room at everyone unwrapping there's and her eyes just lit up at all the Joy she saw in that room, in that (home) and then later at the end of the movie she was in the church, and she said to everyone I fell in love with you all, suddenly I had a family and it was so wonderful, and you all treated me like a member of your family, --- it was such a touching scene, I loved the movie, even cried a couple of times.

Tonight Ken Dodd had a special TV performance, it lasted 90 minutes and he was in top form, WOW what a guy, Amazing how this comedy genius can just keep on talking without takeing a breath and everything he says is so sooooo funny,
Many moons ago before I left England to live in America Him and Tommy Cooper to me were the absolute cream of the crop, the funnyest two men in show business.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about the importance of photos - getting people into the place is the key and now people rule out properties just by looking online. Our realtor pays for professional photographs as part of her service so that's a good thing.

But we're also creating a website that we can send visitors too so they can see the house at different times of year and learn about its history. I don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt.

Mummy, re: pricing - our realtor had what I thought was a good idea. She's going to invite some of the agents in the area round and ask them what price they think. She'll then compile all their suggestions along with hers and we can sit down and pick a price. She said this has the added benefit of giving other realtors a reason to come and look at the house - she said it's hard to get them to come for a realtor open house these days just because the market is so slow.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rodney.......how about a cute little doggie to walk in the park??? People constantly stop to talk when I am walking my dogs :-)
Celtic, I absolutely love dogs, really I do, problem is I am allergic to them in a big way
But my favorite Animal of all time is a Horse, now I am not allergic to them,
in the past I have enjoyed riding horses both in England growing up and also in Nevada,
Maybe I can explore the possibilities of riding stables that have a group riding session IN THE COUNTRY ----I would love that, thats a way to meet new people to isn't it? there are a lot of little country villages within a few miles from me ---- scattered all over, I will check on line,
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Celtic, I absolutely love dogs, really I do, problem is I am allergic to them in a big way
But my favorite Animal of all time is a Horse, now I am not allergic to them,
in the past I have enjoyed riding horses both in England growing up and also in Nevada,
Maybe I can explore the possibilities of riding stables that have a group riding session IN THE COUNTRY ----I would love that, thats a way to meet new people to isn't it? there are a lot of little country villages within a few miles from me ---- scattered all over, I will check on line,
Me too Rodney... grew up riding horses and have been riding a few times here but it's just not the same as riding along the edge of the fields in England. I fully intend to start going for Sunday rides at a local stable when I return.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 1:31 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123

There are quite a few dogs which are suitable for people with asthma or allergies. My friend purchased a minature poodle a couple of years ago as her partner has severe allergies *and* asthma. He has had no problems at all:

http://www.dogguide.net/dog-breeds-for-allergies.php

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4840781_pi...allergies.html
Old Nov 20th 2011, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff Richard on the Graham Norton tonight. He looks amazing for 71.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Our home is listed and it will eventually go for a short sale.

We have lost all we invested.

But we are on our way home in 3 months...can't beat that
Gab, My thoughts are with you - been there, done that - In Thailand, in my case. Came home with clothes only. Not even got my address book, or favourite reading. I too have lost an investment ( Large House) - couldn't find anyone to buy or rent it. - and spent ALL my savings.

What the hell? why look back? Do as I have done - look forward to the next 20 years! love Don xx
Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Gab, My thoughts are with you - been there, done that - In Thailand, in my case. Came home with clothes only. Not even got my address book, or favourite reading. I too have lost an investment ( Large House) - couldn't find anyone to buy or rent it. - and spent ALL my savings.

What the hell? why look back? Do as I have done - look forward to the next 20 years! love Don xx
Thanks so much Don...you an inspiration!
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:00 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Cliff Richard on the Graham Norton tonight. He looks amazing for 71.
Yes he certainly does, must be all the clean living.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:05 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes he certainly does, must be all the clean living.
And the Botox
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
And the Botox
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

How about coming home to this little beauty? It doesn't say where it is, but this is just gorgeous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/prmt...m-Cottage.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.