Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 24th 2011, 4:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by J.J
Our cat came with us from North Carolina sub-division detached house to the UK equivalent. He was a stray we took in, prefers to be outdoors. He had to carve out a new territory here and accept a smaller one than he had in US, just as we did with the house.
When the sun is out he makes the most of it, although at as little as upper 70's he gets in the shade. When it's colder he has to settle for sleeping in the house. He has been through all four seasons now and seems no worse for it.
Attached is pic of him this afternoon.
Cute picture. Ours is the biggest chicken ever, two kittens wandered into the garage, she took one look and spent the day hidden in the back,and the kittens had left hours before I think she's be too afraid to carve out any territory

Originally Posted by Elvira
Depends where you are moving to and what your plans are. Our cat is an outdoor cat who wouldn't be happy in a flat. Plus we want to do LOTS of travelling in the UK and Europe, so it wouldn't be fair on her to be cooped up in a flat, with someone popping in just once a day to feed her.

But if you're moving to the wilderness of Wales...
No wilderness for us, it's one of two things, Mums house, tiny yard with two neighbor cats who think they own Mums house already or a flat where she would be an indoor kitty forever.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:01 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Life would be so much easier for us if we could bear to leave our cats behind, but they've been with us for 12 years and they're our family. Where we go, they go. I worry about the whole thing though - not just flying them back (which terrifies me) but also finding a rental that suits our needs and also takes pets. What a nightmare!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick check in and read up of latest posts...........gosh I am worried about Rodney, I hope he is not depressed or anything, I mean he replied to an email so was online...........aw come and talk Rodney we are your friends.
My life is very crazy right now, a HUGE rollercoaster, but I did feel slightly better yesterday when I went to Trottys house and saw all her STUFF now I know why i hardly ever brought anything for my house, I always felt this was not home...........and now I am so glad, sad but glad if you know what i mean.
My 20 year old son is taking me to the airport Saturday, we have to be there for 6 a.m so will be on the road at 5. Not looking forward to that at all. But hey I have come this far and I am looking forward to doing what i always wanted and who knows just maybe it will be all I dreamed of.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Just a quick check in and read up of latest posts...........gosh I am worried about Rodney, I hope he is not depressed or anything, I mean he replied to an email so was online...........aw come and talk Rodney we are your friends.
My life is very crazy right now, a HUGE rollercoaster, but I did feel slightly better yesterday when I went to Trottys house and saw all her STUFF now I know why i hardly ever brought anything for my house, I always felt this was not home...........and now I am so glad, sad but glad if you know what i mean.
My 20 year old son is taking me to the airport Saturday, we have to be there for 6 a.m so will be on the road at 5. Not looking forward to that at all. But hey I have come this far and I am looking forward to doing what i always wanted and who knows just maybe it will be all I dreamed of.
I know the stuff feeling. I stood in the garage yesterday OMG it is so full of stuff, it's tidy, and boxed and shelves everywhere but still so much stuff. The house isn't nearly as bad. It took me a year to hang things on the wall here, I really didn't want to stay, I wanted to go home even then (18 years ago)
Old Aug 24th 2011, 6:17 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm worried about Rodney too. I hope he doesn't feel like he has to be cheerful and upbeat if he doesn't feel it.

We love you Rodney!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm worried about Rodney too. I hope he doesn't feel like he has to be cheerful and upbeat if he doesn't feel it.

We love you Rodney!
I was hoping he'd joined a club and has a new "friend" and is too busy to post.
As my Dh always say when my boys talk of girls "Is she pretty?"
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

From what Rodney said I think its just that he is tired and doesnt have much get up and go after his op. He said he is starting to feel better. It does take time after an op to get back up to speed. He said he would be back in a couple of days.

Charleygirl....You are getting out just in time. They said on the news that anyone travelling should check before they leave for the airport in case of delays. Perhaps you should check before you leave.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
See you in Blackpool VERY soon Denise, let's go and see the Blackpool Lights yeee ha!!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:37 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by judes
I would so love to do that.
I don't know if you have ever heard of "Minack Theatre" in Cornwall. It is a outside theatre created in the side of a cliff with the seats set in arena style ( all carved out of the cliff ) with the sea as a backdrop. An amazingly stunning place, anyway they do productions right through the Summer, come rain or shine ( just take a mac ! ) people bring wine and wine glasses, beer, picnics etc. such fun. At the end of each season they do their own version of Last night, I have never managed to be in Cornwall at that ime but I will definately be going next year. I planned on going this year because we will have been home 2 weeks by then but we have had the offer of attending a scooter rally with no2 son and 1 year old grand daughter, and as much as I want to go Last Night their is of course no contest !

Ohhhh, I have indeed heard of Minack Theatre and it's high on my list of places I want to visit someday. I didn't realise they had their own Last Night. Thanks for that info.

As a Neecie herself (my grandsons called me 'Neecie'), I can appreciate that scooters rule.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:38 pm
DDL

[quote=cheers;9577964]
Originally Posted by DDL
We did Last Night Hyde Park once - one of the greatest experiences of my life. Me - the American - singing 'Jerusalem', waving my little Union Flag, lump in throat.
Hey, the US Homeland Security will want to talk to you.

ha ha Good one, Cheers.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:46 pm
DDL

I think that everyone making this move has to allow themselves to feel as crappy as necessary...

Agree, and you know something? It doesn't necessarily end once we're here.

I will be honest with everyone (like I always have and it usually gets me into trouble ) - there are some things about living in the UK that I just don't like. There are things or circumstances that sometimes are just a big pain in the butt and when they happen I just let it all hang out: curse, kick, stomp, whatever. I think it's all a part of the adjustment.

But then, of course, a nice cuppa makes it all better.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:52 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Mallory
I don't think Trotty's DH needs to take the Life in UK test, as he is over 65. There is 50 pounds saved!

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for that info.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:59 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by DDL
I will be honest with everyone (like I always have and it usually gets me into trouble ) - there are some things about living in the UK that I just don't like. There are things or circumstances that sometimes are just a big pain in the butt and when they happen I just let it all hang out: curse, kick, stomp, whatever. I think it's all a part of the adjustment.
Yes, living in any country where you didn't grow up is just hard and there's no two ways about it. Only those of us who have done it can understand.

I think of being in your home country as like being with the weirder members of your family. They might be nuts, but they're your nuts. You get where they're coming from and you know how to handle them. But plop us down among someone else's weird family members and we have no idea how to deal with them.

For example, I am far more at ease dealing with uncouth kids cursing and fighting than I am dealing with evangelical Christians trying to convert me .

I think the people who are able to settle in their adopted countries are the ones who either don't notice that stuff, or who have found a healthy way of dealing with it over time. Tea is a good start!
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:02 pm
DDL

Bank holiday week-end coming up (we're also taking the Tuesday off).

Here's what on the agenda for us:
One of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.
-Iris Murdoc
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:15 pm
DDL

For example, I am far more at ease dealing with uncouth kids cursing and fighting than I am dealing with evangelical Christians trying to convert me .
I must admit, this is one element of the US that I do not miss. But then again, if I were an evangelical Christian living in the UK, I would be saddened by the widespread lack of religion.

I think the people who are able to settle in their adopted countries are the ones who either don't notice that stuff, or who have found a healthy way of dealing with it over time.
For me, a big part of it is also choosing to embrace - and even learn about and appreciate - the culture (warts and all) of the home country of the person I love.

My husband knows the things that irk me over here - most of them are things that irk him as well. But I could never, ever, ever bash on about this country because it's his country, his people and if I bashed it, I would feel that I'm bashing him as well. (Does that make sense?)

P.S. Not that there haven't been times when I actually have wanted to bash him. But enough about his driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.