Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:12 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Brooms, you'll have to go to home base (asda probably has them too)Angled broom.

That's exactly what I've been looking for. Honest, have never seen one anywhere and we've been to B&Q (and a Homebase)(and a Wickes). But haven't been to the local Homebase so will check there. Thank you!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh and Rodney get yourself back up to the 'ossie and get yourself checked out.......it's free and you don't need to suffer in any way............not for even one day.

Take Care
Barb xxx
Yes, it's worrying that he has let this drag on for so long. Doesn't anyone have his phone number to tell him to get a move on and get himself to the A&E?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
That's exactly what I've been looking for. Honest, have never seen one anywhere and we've been to B&Q (and a Homebase)(and a Wickes). But haven't been to the local Homebase so will check there. Thank you!
Between Argos, Homebase and John Lewis/Peter Jones, I find I'm able to find most things I need. And they all deliver.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney so glad you are okay, i was worried that you were homesick for the USA, but yes you ought to see the doc about a new swelling 3 weeks after the op.
DDL I wonder about the radiators too, great for drying washing on though!
I know I will the drive through coffee shops.............
2 more sleeps for me.......
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:16 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Do the light switches still turn off the opposite to the US. Down in stead of up. Forget which way it is.
Yes, down is 'on'
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Yes, down is 'on'
Oh great that one is going to be fun, me and Dh lights on lights off, not know whats happening.

My big annoyance, the light switches aren't at a standard height. I can't find them in the dark in the UK, I can here in the US.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Rodney - these things may well take time, but if you have a swelling you must go and see your doctor straightaway. This could be a sign of infection, which is no uncommon following surgery, so you may need a course of antibiotics.
thanks Elvira,
But after the Op when I was in the recovery room when I woke up from the anesthetic the nurse did tell me that after a while I will experience some swelling in stomach and further down you know which is what I have, but I dont remember how long she said it normally lasts, if its still around a week from now I will go to the doctor.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DDL

Metric system. Oops, already mentioned that one last night.
Do they still do a partial metric system ? You know, distance in miles, weight in lbs and ounces then gas in liters etc ?

Always seemed a bit strange to me ......
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
No no no no no no!!! I think the TV license is the best value in the world. I don't watch much TV either, but the license also pays for literally dozens of radio stations, both national and local. And the world Service which, although much diminished due to cutbacks, is still a beacon of freedom for many parts of the world where unbiased information is otherwise impossible to come by.

Here in the US we pay nearly $100 a month for TV that is mostly total and utter cr@p. The British license is the equivalent of less than $20 a month - a bargain.
Yes your right Elvira about the TV licence, certainly worth that small cost for such good quality programs, and the period dramas are wonderful --- first rate!!!!! and in the States when I wanted all the premium channels and full cable it would cost me big bucks, maybe a couple of dollars change out of a big bill, $100 and yes 200 channels and nothing on
Oh and when you get to a certain age the TV licence is free in UK not quite sure what that age is but I know my Mum has not paid for a TV licence for a long long time, she's 92, try asking your local cable company in the states if you can get full cable and all the premium chanals and only pay half the normal amount cause your 70 ----- see how loud they will laugh.

Last edited by jasper123; Aug 25th 2011 at 10:33 pm. Reason: add another sentence
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:33 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
10) Why oh why do we have to pay for a TV licence if we barely even watch BBC? My TV viewing is mainly limited to Corrie (ITV), Come Dine With Me (4) and maybe an odd BBC show like Who Do You Think You Are? and maybe Antiques Roadshow, well it is a complete rip off LOL!!

RANT over.
Because the BBC is the one of the few things (along with a couple of decent newspapers) standing between the UK and a US-style political system where politicians can say and do anything and no one in the media calls them on it because their corporate bosses tell them not to rock the boat.

After living over here for so long, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the BBC. And all it costs to keep democracy alive is a few quid a month. I think that's a bargain and it makes me sad that people resent paying it. Because if the BBC doesn't belong to us, it would either belong to some fat cat billionaire who wouldn't be interested in honest reporting or the Tories would be able to get rid of it altogether, which is what they'd really like to do.

Rant over!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Because the BBC is the one of the few things (along with a couple of decent newspapers) standing between the UK and a US-style political system where politicians can say and do anything and no one in the media calls them on it because their corporate bosses tell them not to rock the boat.

After living over here for so long, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the BBC. And all it costs to keep democracy alive is a few quid a month. I think that's a bargain and it makes me sad that people resent paying it. Because if the BBC doesn't belong to us, it would either belong to some fat cat billionaire who wouldn't be interested in honest reporting or the Tories would be able to get rid of it altogether, which is what they'd really like to do.

Rant over!
Sally hear hear on that rant, I could not have put it in a better way
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DDL/ Denise thanks for the list of the things that bug you over here, I really have to agree with most on that list myself, ----- my biggest problem like you is the metric system like you I dont know a centimeter FROM a centipede, but I think Cheers was right in saying one was what you find crawling in the desert
Honestly 9 months later after my arrival in UK and I still dont have a clue what people are talking about,
And I think the reason Britain posts there prices for petrol in liters is cause if they told folk (what) they are actually paying for a gallon of gasoline then they would have a fit, what is it equivalent
to $10 per gallon now here I think?
the other day I was listening to the weather forecast and they were talking about a lot of rain thAT FELL SOMEHERE in UK and they said that it fell 400 centimeters in an hour or was that millimeters? something like that --- either way he may had as well been talking a foreign language, and 500g of ground beef hmmmm not sure but is that a pound or half a pound?

Sallysimmons, your take on religion just about sums up my feelings too,
I love how in Englands religion is not shoved in your face from every which way like it is in the States,
As Ive said before I had a good life in U.S. and I wouldn't change my time there for anything, but all the bible thumpers really always turned me off,
can you imagine those billionaire TV evangelists in U.S making a single dime here in U.K
Also I have worked with so called born again christians and they always try and convert you in the States, I had a friend in Reno, a good friend too, I have known him for over 20 years, when I moved to Vegas we would keep in touch on the telephone, and we would be just talking about this and that you know and suddenly he would say well lets prey for this or that brother, he was not my brother? so he would do this a lot ------ and one night he called and he was talking in what they call tongues it was a lot of made up gibberish if you ask me, anyway thats when I just hung up on him and I have never talked to him since, and he was a good friend too, but I hate all that phoney crap, most of the very old churches in Portsmouth have been either turned into bingo halls or (PUBS)
Take care Sally,
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Sally and Trotty,

How much can you take there on the east coast? First earthquakes and now a hurricane on Sunday. You always have something going on there. Wasn't it a heat wave before the earthquake?

Cheers
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sally and Trotty,

How much can you take there on the east coast? First earthquakes and now a hurricane on Sunday. You always have something going on there. Wasn't it a heat wave before the earthquake?

Cheers
I've lived in NE USA for over 15 years...I can't remember ever hearing such dire warnings of a hurricane before. Let's hope they are just covering their butts on this one.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 1:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Sally and Trotty,

Cheers
Well, to be honest the earthquake was nothing. My desk wobbled but I thought the legs needed fixing Didn't realize it was an earthquake until later on when I saw it on Twitter.

I am scared of this hurricane though. We've never experienced one in all the time we've lived here, but they seem to be pretty certain that this one is heading full-force in our direction.

Oh well, we will see what tomorrow brings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.