Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by DDL
A page of superb quotations about England and the English
http://www.allgreatquotes.com/englan...h_quotes.shtml

Plucking one out as relative to the above discussion about religion:

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity.
-George Bernard Shaw

Yes Denise I love it too
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:42 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Interesting list JJ.

BUT the USPS is excellent in the way, as we've discussed, the mailman will pick up stamped mail you leave for him in our mailbox...

And also, we found out that if you move to a temporary address abroad (I guess you would still need to have a US address as we do, not sure what happens if you actually move abroad for good) the US postal service will forward your first class mail to the address abroad FOR FREE! for a year.
I think this is a marvellous service.

Tina
Indeed, USPS and PO do have their different methods.

I was very appreciative of the USPS system - and as you say, our US mail (what little there was) was forwarded to the UK for 1 year for free, junk mail screened out.

I do notice the PO being innovative. I paid attention because was intrigued by a mysterious grey lockbox beside the postbox. The postman delivers his round by bicycle, with him and his bike being delivered to the suburbs by van. Further deliveries are brought up by van about midday and left in a lockbox beside the post box for the postman to pickup and continue his afternoon round. Then the van collects him and bike in afternoon for his ride back to HQ.
Packages are delivered separately by van during day but appears only one attempt is made before it is left at Sorting Office to be collected.
Our village PO / newspaper shop does sell postal supplies. The large traditional PO / sorting office in Kings Lynn center closed (and stands empty) and PO is now located within W H Smiths. It still has all services including banking and currency exchange.

I brought a packet of business envelopes from US. The envelopes are just a couple millimeters longer than permitted by PO so I have to fold over & tape the end to avoid oversize charges.

Last edited by J.J; Aug 26th 2011 at 12:06 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:00 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

A fascinating and incredible (to me) statement, Sally. Can this be true, that as a child you never knew anyone who believed in God?
I probably worded it badly. I'm sure I knew some people who believed in God - what I suppose I meant to say was that none of the people I was close to believed in God. My family, my friends, friends of friends, close neighbors in the village - none of them was even faintly religious.

If you say that here in the US, people assume you're really saying 'none of the people I knew had any moral values' so I don't say it out loud very often. But of course that's not true. My family had very strong moral values - they just didn't believe in a magic man in the sky.

When I got to college, I shared a room with a born-again Christian from Bristol and we were both incredulous at each other's beliefs. We got along really well, oddly enough, but we spent many a long night talking.

I do know what you're saying about substituting 'thinking of you' for 'praying for you' and I do know that's what it means. But I can't help not liking it. In Texas recently the governor held a event to pray for rain. Of course it didn't work but how can that be? How can it be OK for the government to try and solve problems by praying?? That's what I'll be glad to see the back of.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Aug 26th 2011 at 11:05 am.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 16 years and had no idea that the mailman would pick up mail! You live and learn.

I love the postal service in both countries - such great value for the tiny cost of a stamp. It always amazes me how fast letters and parcels zip their way across the UK and from the UK to here. Both countries can be proud of their post offices I think.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I probably worded it badly. I'm sure I knew some people who believed in God - what I suppose I meant to say was that none of the people I was close to believed in God. My family, my friends, friends of friends, close neighbors in the village - none of them was even faintly religious.

If you say that here in the US, people assume you're really saying 'none of the people I knew had any moral values' so I don't say it out loud very often. But of course that's not true. My family had very strong moral values - they just didn't believe in a magic man in the sky.

When I got to college, I shared a room with a born-again Christian from Bristol and we were both incredulous at each other's beliefs. We got along really well, oddly enough, but we spent many a long night talking.

I do know what you're saying about substituting 'thinking of you' for 'praying for you' and I do know that's what it means. But I can't help not liking it. In Texas recently the governor held a event to pray for rain. Of course it didn't work but how can that be? How can it be OK for the government to try and solve problems by praying?? That's what I'll be glad to see the back of.
Interesting, Sally--yes, of course it's ridiculous to assume that lack of belief in God means lack of moral values! A shame if you've run into that attitude--I know, in my small PA town, lots of American non-believers who themselves have strong moral values and wouldn't make that assumption.
I'm surprised at these evangelical US experiences you cite, as I know you live in a small town near NYC (I keep imagining Tarrytown or Nyack--no need to answer that!!) where I'd expect the population to be non-believing intellectuals and New Yorker and NY Times readers. (I love the New Yorker btw--still subscribe at inordinate expense!! Worth it for Roz Chas alone!!).

But yes, the governor of Texas praying for rain...sheesh!

What upsets me about religion--specifically Christianity-- in US is that the far-out right-wing fundamentalist types get so much publicity in newspapers etc that non-Christians think that is all Christianity is.
They (and I don't mean you personally, Sally) don't realise there's a whole mainstream Christianity that's politically and socially very liberal--the Episcopalians for example--that Christians come in so many stripes and types, and that the Billy Graham-Rick Perry--Glen Beck (yech!) type is not all there is!

Tina
Old Aug 26th 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here 16 years and had no idea that the mailman would pick up mail! You live and learn.

I love the postal service in both countries - such great value for the tiny cost of a stamp. It always amazes me how fast letters and parcels zip their way across the UK and from the UK to here. Both countries can be proud of their post offices I think.
Yes, Sally! You just leave the piece of mail (stamped of course) in your letter box or sticking out of your mail slot, and the mailman will take it whe he comes to deliver!

Yes, the post is amazing when you think of it. Though I must say I tend to feel the UK side is better because, in my experience, letters are quicker from UK to US than vice versa!

But I agree both countries can be proud...pity so few people actually write real letters by hand on real paper any more!

Tina
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Sally I agree with everything you say here, when I was still living in U.S. I had a few american and filipino co-workers that were friends too I suppose, not close but anyway they were these stereo type evangelists that only tune into the christian radio stations on the radio, songs and bible thumping preachers 24/7 they would prey and live life --- as they say serving god every waking moment of there life,
The point Im making is this, I noticed with all these people over the years including my good friend I spoke of in Reno ---- that tonge speaking fella,
well they all had so many physical problems with there bodies and so many problems in there lives, and they and there families and all there church buddies would be praying for these problems to be taken away by the almighty, ----- and this would go on for years and years and all I could see is that all there problems with there health would be getting progressively worse ---- and the same would normally be so with there personal problems and there money problems ect ect ect, ---- but they would still be walking around with these nieve looking smiles on there faces and say God is good and he has a plan for me, and then in the next breath they try to convert you --------- how come we dont have those kind of people over here in U.K.?
What I like about the U.K. is whenever theres a politician talking or when they all start there political general election campaign you never here then talk about God or religion, I like the separation of Politics and Religion in Great Britain, one should never have anything to do with each other,
Why oh Why cant America learn this once and for all,
Even in Obama's presidential campaign he felt pressured to at many times mention God in his speeches, and what about Obamas own family preacher for 20 years, WOW what a crazy nutter he was, he did his campaign a lot of harm at the time, Obama had to publicly ditch this fool,
Old Aug 26th 2011, 2:58 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=

Yes, the post is amazing when you think of it. Though I must say I tend to feel the UK side is better because, in my experience, letters are quicker from UK to US than vice versa!

[/QUOTE]

When mail leaves the UK or the US (or any country), it goes into the International Postal System. It's not delivered by the Royal Mail.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

So we are now calling this thread the religious bashing thread?

What I have read so far is religious people should keep it to themselves but none religious people should be free to express their dislike for anyone or thing religious.

I respect all people, religious or not, except those who want to push their anti religious views onto others.

I know a lot of good religious people and none religious people.

I know of about 100 people in my area who got up at 5 a.m. this morning, in the heat, to pick peaches so that others who don't have food will have some food. I got to admire these religious people. These peaches go to a cannery which is operated by religious volunteers.

Just sayin.

Lets remember the purpose of this thread, thank you.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Did you also know that you can buy stamps and have them delivered to your home?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:03 pm
Finally Home!

I'm surprised at these evangelical US experiences you cite, as I know you live in a small town near NYC (I keep imagining Tarrytown or Nyack--no need to answer that!!) where I'd expect the population to be non-believing intellectuals and New Yorker and NY Times readers. (I love the New Yorker btw--still subscribe at inordinate expense!! Worth it for Roz Chas alone!!).
You're definitely right about the people here - you'd never know whether they believe or not because they keep that stuff private. But because I work with the web, most of my interactions are with people all around the country. It's mainly the southerners who bring up God every chance they get. Even believers here in the North East tend to be liberal types who don't offer to pray for you.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

DDL - Have to say that I loved your list of pet peeves & I've had the odd rant about much of the same - actually, hubby's convinced I wrote the list myself and posted it under an assumed name

Just adding a couple of my own here

Curtains - what's with those ridiculous pencil pleats that you have to gather up yourself???? You spend half the day gathering the tops trying to get them evenly spaced and they still go up looking like crap! Don't even get me started on those eyelet arrangements that end up looking like a shower curtain. If anyone can tell me where I can buy pinch-pleated curtains over here (you know the type with the three pleats all nicely stitched in place evenly) could you please let me know? If worst comes to worst I've located a place that sells the metal hooks & header tape & I'll just buy a sewing machine & make my own.

Rubbermaid - No one seems to sell those little plastic step stools that come in so handy to get stuff off the top shelf in the kitchen cupboards. Anyone seen them?

Re lightbulbs You're quite right, a trip through the lighting section in any store here can be a nightmare and of course you can't buy the old fashioned bulbs that actually give off decent light. In case anyone's interested, I purchased a case of those now next to impossible to find 100-watt bulbs from Amazon uk before I even arrived & had them shipped to the new address. They're perfect for all the overhead fixtures in our flat and as far as I know they're still available there if anyone needs them.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:24 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
DDL - Have to say that I loved your list of pet peeves & I've had the odd rant about much of the same - actually, hubby's convinced I wrote the list myself and posted it under an assumed name

Curtains - what's with those ridiculous pencil pleats that you have to gather up yourself???? You spend half the day gathering the tops trying to get them evenly spaced and they still go up looking like crap! Don't even get me started on those eyelet arrangements that end up looking like a shower curtain. If anyone can tell me where I can buy pinch-pleated curtains over here (you know the type with the three pleats all nicely stitched in place evenly) could you please let me know? If worst comes to worst I've located a place that sells the metal hooks & header tape & I'll just buy a sewing machine & make my own.

Rubbermaid - No one seems to sell those little plastic step stools that come in so handy to get stuff off the top shelf in the kitchen cupboards. Anyone seen them?

Re lightbulbs You're quite right, a trip through the lighting section in any store here can be a nightmare and of course you can't buy the old fashioned bulbs that actually give off decent light. In case anyone's interested, I purchased a case of those now next to impossible to find 100-watt bulbs from Amazon uk before I even arrived & had them shipped to the new address. They're perfect for all the overhead fixtures in our flat and as far as I know they're still available there if anyone needs them.
I only know about the little steps, I saw them in LIDL the other week and have also seen them in those shops like Home Bargains and Poundstretchers, I actually had one in Frome that folded flat so you could shove it down the side of the fridge, but Gawd knows what happened to it with my ping ponging LOL!!
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops

I have to say I've never had a problem with pencil pleats, but if you prefer pinch-pleated curtains, there is a huge selection at John Lewis/Peter Jones, as well as Debenhams and Selfridges.

I have purchased steps from a little Indian "we-sell-everything-under-the-sun" type stores in the High Street, but I know that Argos sell them as well.

Our local electrical store seems to sell every energy-saving and Halogen light-bulb one could possibly need, and I'm pretty sure Argos also has a very wide selection.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hope all you guys on the East Coast will be OK. Trotty, Charleygirl, Sally, etc. Take care and stay safe. xxx
Thanks Barb, not only am i packing 59 years of stuff into 3 cases and 4 boxes.....I am helping take down our gazebo and put the garden furniture away.
We have an area that water leaks into the basement when it rains......so helping son to move stuff up higher etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.