Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:56 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Isn't this in the Wiki or Stickies somewhere? If not it should be:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=ozzidoc+boxes

(How to ship your stuff quickly and economically... by one what's done it )
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It may not be the answer you wanted, but to be honest its probably the right one! Not only from the theft point of view, but haven't you seen how bags can get thrown around, bashed and often crushed during loading if not the flight itself? I wouldn't even pack my kindle in hold luggage, never mind a laptop, unless I was quite prepared to have to replace it the other end.
I do know your right, I just dont want you to be ! Have you ever asked a stupid question, well that was mine !!!! I knew the answer in my heart ! I really planned on us travelling light on day of flight, put a lot of stuff in with the shipment, I am not sure how I managed to find so much extra. I will let you know how I fared
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Elvira
Isn't this in the Wiki or Stickies somewhere? If not it should be:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=ozzidoc+boxes

(How to ship your stuff quickly and economically... by one what's done it )
thanks for that, what amazing info. We shipped a load of clothes, 2 chairs and a heap of personal stuff including 20 huge photo albums my DH insisted we keep and an electric organ he also insisted on ( it can get damaged if it likes ) total cost $2500. very satisfied with the price
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
NO NO NO!!!! Having worked for an international airline for many years I would say NO to packing anything delicate or valuable in your suitcase. You wouldn't believe the tricks some baggage handlers get up to.
Yeah I knew it was a stupid question before I asked, just hoping, a girl can hope surely
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I wouldnt either, nor anything of value like camera, jewelry etc.,
My husband has his iPad taken from his suitcase a few days ago on a 35 min flight from Austin to Dallas. He didn't have 3G and so it was not traceable.
Im convinced honest, I will be sensible even if I am loaded like a donkey !
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...eAllowance.jsp

One bag carry-on: No charge
One bag checked: No charge
One personal item: No charge
45 in/114 cm (carry-on)
62 in/157 cm (checked)
50 lbs/23 kgs (checked)
Charges may apply for additional bags. Exceptions apply
Maximum number of 10 checked bags allowed per passen

Don't pack valuables and laptops etc in your checked baggage - you might never see them again...
thank you, you guys are my new best friends !
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 1:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
sorry, this was not a very clear post, I was at work and trying not to get caught
My problem is we have quite a bit of stuff to take back, we are hopefully, allowed one piece of free luggage each, then pay for extra bags, would it be economical to shove it all in the allowed free luggage or pack a second bag and pay extra baggage? Also, can I shove my lap top, e reader and i pad in the main cases, I hate heavy carry on. I know I sound penny pinching but we are going to need every penny once we get back.
Thanks to those of you who answered, even the lady who said dont pack your laptop in the suitcase, I appreciated your answer but it wasnt the right answer
I put my laptop in my luggage everywhere I go and have never had a problem. I pack it in a padded laptop sleeve and then stuff it in the middle of all my clothes. I guess it could be stolen or broken but the same applies to carry on in a compartment above your head. I only ever take an iPad on the plane - that way I don't have to stow anything in the overheads (where I am quite likely to forget it when I leave!). I have magazines, books, crossword puzzles, sudoku puzzles, movies and TV shows all on that one device so I can't get bored
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to all the newcomers so good to have you onboard. You will find lots of information and help from the oldies. We get old pretty quick on here.

Beedubya.....Goodluck with the search for a new job. Sounds like you are overworked and underpaid were you are at the moment.

Eastermdawm..... so sorry to here your awful news it was on our news after it happened. Sounded like a beautiful place you and Wee Mac had you lunch at.

I am so very tired. My daughter came yesterday and in the extreme heat she went up into the attic and brought down all the boxes I had stored. I have spent most of last night and all of today going through them and putting labels on the boxes. Now I have to mark everything for the garage sale and charity shops. I still have all the clothes to go through. What is it about men that they dont like bothering with that sort of thing.

The people that are buying the place came over on Saturday to measure for curtains. One more week till closing.

We finally picked our mover I decided against one of them when he kept insisting on saying we were moving to the Ukraine instead of the UK. He had to write down UK.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Hello to all the newcomers so good to have you onboard. You will find lots of information and help from the oldies. We get old pretty quick on here.

Beedubya.....Goodluck with the search for a new job. Sounds like you are overworked and underpaid were you are at the moment.

Eastermdawm..... so sorry to here your awful news it was on our news after it happened. Sounded like a beautiful place you and Wee Mac had you lunch at.

I am so very tired. My daughter came yesterday and in the extreme heat she went up into the attic and brought down all the boxes I had stored. I have spent most of last night and all of today going through them and putting labels on the boxes. Now I have to mark everything for the garage sale and charity shops. I still have all the clothes to go through. What is it about men that they dont like bothering with that sort of thing.

The people that are buying the place came over on Saturday to measure for curtains. One more week till closing.

We finally picked our mover I decided against one of them when he kept insisting on saying we were moving to the Ukraine instead of the UK. He had to write down UK.
HAHAHA....Trotty that is really funny!! Lets hope your stuff arrives in the right country!!

I am in the process of cleaning out.....my OH doesn"t yet get it. it is so sad. I found a place a "listed" Victorian townhouse around the corner from my brother and backing up to the Botanic Gardens....way too expensive with four bedrooms and three stories.....who knows if they will take tiny dogs but I am finding my nerve to call them tomorrow....it would be the perfect transition for me for a couple of years. I have my brother, friends and uni friends all on the same street. xxxxxxxx
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Easterndawn;9573292]Good Evening Everyone,
Just had some horrific news from my husband 4 friends were killed in a plane crash in Northern Canada, 12 were killed, only three survived. The plane crash was in Resolute NWT, small community. They have not released the names in the news yet but a friend called Bob to let him know so that he could let me know, my thoughts and prayers go out to them and there families, how sad.[QUOTE]

Your sad news, stopped me, in my tracks, as yesterday, a Red Arrows Pilot lost his life at Bournemouth. - and my thoughts were with his young wife - so My thoughts, are with you, & your Hubby, and all those affected. Take Care. Love Don xxx

Last edited by dontheturner; Aug 22nd 2011 at 7:14 am. Reason: Error
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
HAHAHA....Trotty that is really funny!! Lets hope your stuff arrives in the right country!!

I am in the process of cleaning out.....my OH doesn"t yet get it. it is so sad. I found a place a "listed" Victorian townhouse around the corner from my brother and backing up to the Botanic Gardens....way too expensive with four bedrooms and three stories.....who knows if they will take tiny dogs but I am finding my nerve to call them tomorrow....it would be the perfect transition for me for a couple of years. I have my brother, friends and uni friends all on the same street. xxxxxxxx
Goodness Celtic, things really moving along for you now. Good luck with that townhouse...sorry about the sadness re end of marriage.

Keep us posted, it's good to see you here again,

Tina.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

ED so sorry about the friends lost in the crash...condolences to your husband and to you.

I loved the description of your day on the beach, lovely!

Tina
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Beedubya, on the move again, looking for a new job....good luck with it and do keep us posted!

Interesting to hear from you when Jacqueline expressed that worry we all share, about leaving adult children (and grandchildren actual or potential) behind. Your saying (if i recall right) that in the end, they have their own lives.....

At other times you've said, I think, that the sadness and guilt sometimes well up and become huge, Denise /DDL said the same thing, I guess this is what one must expect.

Nothing in the expat's situation is ever cut and dried! Feelings muddled, torn this way and that, pulled in all directions...this is our fate! Or destiny.

Tina
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Evening Everyone,

Just had some horrific news from my husband 4 friends were killed in a plane crash in Northern Canada, 12 were killed, only three survived. The plane crash was in Resolute NWT, small community. They have not released the names in the news yet but a friend called Bob to let him know so that he could let me know, my thoughts and prayers go out to them and there families, how sad.
I spent the day sitting on a pebbled beach, with a flask of tea, salmon sandwiches, good book and Mac. I found a lovely little cove , where the rock face is behind giving lots of protection from the wind, on the rock ledge sits a ruin of an old castle. When the tide goes out there are lots of rock pools to check out and lots of places for Mac to explore, it was a lovely day out but what news to come home to.
Oh Peggi, I heard the news on the TV, what a terrible tragedy those poor people. Sounds like a lovely day out other than that. Do you think your husband will be able to join you for this christmas? Good luck and wishing you well. Denise 2
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Beedubya, on the move again, looking for a new job....good luck with it and do keep us posted!

Interesting to hear from you when Jacqueline expressed that worry we all share, about leaving adult children (and grandchildren actual or potential) behind. Your saying (if i recall right) that in the end, they have their own lives.....

At other times you've said, I think, that the sadness and guilt sometimes well up and become huge, Denise /DDL said the same thing, I guess this is what one must expect.

Nothing in the expat's situation is ever cut and dried! Feelings muddled, torn this way and that, pulled in all directions...this is our fate! Or destiny.

Tina
You are so right Tina. For me the guilt does not lie so much with leaving my children as they are already worlds away from me in New York and a successful psychiatrist and lawyer, but my 73 year old husband.......who loves me in his own quaint way but is in incredible debt and also knows I need to escape Texas community laws by getting divorced so as not to inherit his debt should anything happen to him. My children will be almost as close to Belfast from NYC as Dallas to NYC. I will leave the house for my husband to sell and am cleaning out my stuff. His nephew is a real estate broker and will handle the details. Financially speaking I own the majority of the house but can wait for it to sell without getting desperate......yet. I have some wonderful antiques which will go to auction and a few favorite pieces and artwork which will come home.........and of course Starla and LuLu!!
The end of the marriage is tragic......in many ways but also makes me angry, I have never had the right to make any decisions about our income nor have we ever had a joint bank account. Most of the money I spent was separate property from my parents estate like for my cars, clothes, travel expenses, insurance, food etc I completely furnished the house and it is georgeous!!! Didnt think it would be that way at all.at first WE are not angry with each other but believe we will always stay friends! I hope it stays this way..I just need to vanish post divorce (no fault and 60days) GEorge is a Dallasite with a daughter and two young grandchildren here and so he is relatively content. Neither of my children is married and so are independant sorts like their mum!!
Just looking through my closet tonight I have so many LOUIS VUITTON purses,,,,should I take them all or just a couple? One is a very valuable train case that we bought in PARIS many years ago however, it is all just stuff,,
Getting down to much less stuff will be very liberating I hope, There is much to be done in the next few weeks, I also have two LV dog carriers which I rarely use and a Gucci one given to me by Neiman Marcus after a photo shoot of my dogs for their Christmas catalog.....it is much to big for my little guys but makes a good shopping bag!! Salvation army has been and taken six bags of clothes and two boxes of household appliances and I took 40 piieces of clothing to the resale store Now to the books. family photos and paperwork, I am still debating taking things I love like my oriental screens, my temple jars and my foo dogs which are very large and would have to be crated my art nouveau bronze lamp and sculptures, the solid bronze elephant that "gored" my mom before my brother encased the tusks in wine corks and quite a few more. It may cost a fortune.....who knows......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.