Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by judes
do you really, how much ? Ill buy it !!
Where are you located? It is TWO weeks old, and my Thai Wife, tried to copy a TV cook doing a cake.- Not good! So she studied the Ideal Home Show, then ordered a different one. - £25? Don.xx
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Charlie...Have to take Gabby to the vets this morning will ring you when I get back if I dont hear from you before that. My cell is not working I forgot to plug it in.

Dontheturner....Thankyou I shall take a look tonight.

Rodney....Where are you.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Where are you located? It is TWO weeks old, and my Thai Wife, tried to copy a TV cook doing a cake.- Not good! So she studied the Ideal Home Show, then ordered a different one. - £25? Don.xx
SOLD to the lady at the back !!

We will be in Cornwall in two weeks, how about you sort out how much to ship there and I will send a British check. Can you bear to trust me ? Promise I wont send a bouncy check !!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
..... I have a friend that lives in that area and she just stopped writing, wondered if she was still in the telephone book.
You don't need a phonebook to find out - try this:

http://www.192.com/people/

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

SOLD to the lady at the back !!

We will be in Cornwall in two weeks, how about you sort out how much to ship there and I will send a British check. Can you bear to trust me ? Promise I wont send a bouncy check !!
Right to the person in Cornwall. You just PM me. Love Don
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Right to the person in Cornwall. You just PM me. Love Don
Cool, will do tonight, loads to do at moment, we fly in 2 weeks !! by way what model is it, not that its that important, when you got nothing model # aren't so important, but Im curious

thanks Don
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cool, will do tonight, loads to do at moment, we fly in 2 weeks !! by way what model is it, not that its that important, when you got nothing model # aren't so important, but Im curious

thanks Don
Kenwood FP120, with 10 Functions. Box & Book of course, and still with Warranty.(from Asda)

Oh! well! Will now go make a Bacon and Tomato Sandwich for tea. How civilized! Regards Don
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this is the tip of the year or just me being silly, but we go back in 16 days ( who's counting ! ) and have to furnish our house immediately. I've just checked out the Argos catologue and they have loads of good stuff at ridiculous prices and will deliver, I think it is going to be such an enormous help for us to be able to go and get everyhing ( not thinking furniture ) under 1 roof. I am thinking I can grab the cheap electrical stiff and replace at a later date when it dies on me. So what do you think, is it a no brainer or a no hoper
Also check out IKEA for sofas, they do some at great prices and have a 10 year guarantee, Argos are great too, no problem if you have to return your stuff, only problem you may have to wait 7-10 days for delivery for larger items, IKEA will deliver as well, for a small price good luck
Denise 2
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:12 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I already saw the Peverel job, but DDL if you see any other non Peverel jobs I would be very interested, thanks for thinking of me.
Barb, I get The Lady every Saturday morning through my mail slot. Will definitely email you anything that falls within your parameters.

I'm a Lady.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. (Just kidding.) xxx
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:19 pm
DDL

Here's an example of the type of Appointments classified you would see in The Lady magazine. From the 23 Aug 11 issue:
EXCEPTIONAL STAFF NEEDED FOR EXCEPTIONAL ESTATE

COUNTRY LIFE CALLS IT 'THE MOST LUDICROUS, LOOPY, LOVELY ESTATE IN BRITAIN'

LIFE HERE IS NEVER DULL

We are a retired couple with far-reaching interests. The house is not huge. It often behaves like an hotel with an endless stream of visitors. There is good help; but we need an experienced, efficient Housekeeper who can cook for lunch/dinner parties. The right person or couple will have a self-contained flat, an erratic but enjoyable life and will, we hope, stay for a long time. Our previous Couple stayed 25 years.

You MUST understand a slightly formal English household, must have good references, a good sense of humour and MUST love animals. We have an animal sanctuary and a full-sized railway (you need not love trains). We do a lot of charity events and expect staff to join in.

If you think you could cope, and smile: please call 01491 637869 and speak to Sarah.

Thought y'all would enjoy reading this.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:30 pm
DDL

Barb, again, from The Lady current issue:
Resident House-Manager required for fine Georgian mansion near Windermere, overlooking the lake and divided into 24 sheltered apartments for persons in senior years. Must be able to cook and be computer literate. Five day week, 9 to 5. Salary commensurate with experience. Contact Jackie Grant on 015394 43016 daytimes, or Email: [email protected]

Not sure about the cooking part, but might be worth an email. http://www.calgarthpark.co.uk/
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:33 pm
DDL

Barb, another from The Lady:
Resident Manager (Leasehold Retirement Scheme)
£16,000 per annum, 28 hours per week
Accommodation - 2 bed property Rent £2,800 per annum
Roehampton

Resident Manager (Leasehold Retirement Scheme)
£20,000 per annum, 35 hours per week
Accommodation - 2 bed property Rent £3,500 per annum
Hampton

Further details and application forms: www.paragonchg.co.uk/jobs

Closing date: 4pm, 1st September 2011
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My husband just filled his Visa application out online. It cost $1,350 We shall have to starve for the next few weeks.

Had a lovely visit with Charlie sat on the back deck with a glass of Port.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Also check out IKEA for sofas, they do some at great prices and have a 10 year guarantee, Argos are great too, no problem if you have to return your stuff, only problem you may have to wait 7-10 days for delivery for larger items, IKEA will deliver as well, for a small price good luck
Denise 2
Loving Ikea !!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well its finally happened. The Bank APPROVED THE LOAN I have been on cloud nine since I heard. We are all set to close on the 30th August...Can you believe it, I thought we would never get to this point. I am sitting here with a glass of wine and relaxing for a short while before I go to bed. But wanted to let you all know. I am soooooo happy.b
Thank you all for sticking with me and keeping me sane.

We had the last of the 3 movers come today to give estimates. I will let you know all about the cost and how they do it in a few days. I just have to get back down to earth. So the rental is all set I have called Walmart and am picking up boxes tomorrow morning for the removal to the rental. You have to call at 10.pm as they chop all the boxes up if you dont order them.

Have stickies on everything apart from me.

NiHao...................Welcome to the forum. I really want to let you know and all the others who are not sure what to do with regard to going home. If you are on this thread then we can assume you are homesick and want to go home.
PLEASE...DONT LEAVE IT TOO LONG.......I dont know how old your children are but I agree with between two worlds... there comes a time when its too much of an upheavel to children to yank them out of school and take them back to the UK. Do it before they get too old. If you dont you will find yourself on this thread years from now going through the same situation as so many of us. The list is endless. ED, Beedubya, between two worlds, Mummyin the foothills and so many more. We all have children who are now grown and many have already left their children behind in their adopted country.

My situation like many is bittersweet, I finally get to go home after over 30years and 3 children who I love and 3 Grandchildren. But leaving them behind is going to be a great heart ache. Nothing will ever be perfect. Leaving my daughter is just unthinkable and I try to push it to the back of my mind. But she wants us to go and I have to try. She promises to visit us every year. They are all very happy and have great jobs and would not want to leave the US, I am happy for them. But you see what happens when you make the wrong decisions in life. If you are happy then thats fine but I always knew I didnt belong I think I was perhaps to old when we came in your late thirties is too old you are already set in your ways.

So NiHao make your mind up and make plans. Depending on how old your children are you might be able to wait till things improve.

ES1943....... Come on in and chat with us you need some encouragement for your move. Would love to hear from you.

Dontheturner...Thankyou for the invite would love to meet when we are settled.

Jasper123....so many chats over the years and look at us now. You are doing so well. I know its hard to make friend but give it time.

Gabgoeshome..We are going to rent and see how we like it. Buying a home comes with alot of problems when your children are in another country and if anything happens to you. We are going to look into all the pro's and con's and take our time.

Cheers...Sorry about your weather. Its been quite nice here in NE especially for August. Just have to deal with the bugs and snakes.

Englishman43...Have you decided what you are doing yet
Short and sweet: Congratulations TT. I am in lurking mode most of the time now, as I don't have much to contribute. But had to post this as your news is SO GOOD. Well done, best of British etc. And soon: Welcome Home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.