Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:43 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Xebedee
For taxes I suppose. Any ideas?

Oh, we won't have much by the time we retire - a small house paid for, some Roth savings and a company pension. I expect we'll live quite simply in England (house boat or caravan) and keep the house here in the US for our kids (in their names). I expect we will go see someone who is well versed with US/UK tax & retirement rules (if we can find him), but meanwhile it seems a good idea to get opinions from those closer to actually retiring on which country is more beneficial to have residency in as far as taxes and savings go.

The obvious benefit of the NHS aside..........

.......a large bin might be all we can afford by the time we retire.
Regarding taxes, there is a person with UK/US tax experience who gets cited on the US board now and then as being good - the mods don't remove the posts so I'm guessing there haven't been any complaints about him: http://www.britishexpatstax.com/

In terms of tax residency, both the UK and US government tax sites give pretty clear guidelines of how many days you have to be present in order to be deemed resident for tax purpose. If it turns out your are resident in both countries, you would maybe need to determine which would be the primary country for paying taxes, but you would need to file in both countries anyway, if you are resident in the UK (didn't you say you were both USC?). However, due to the dual tax treaty, you won't get taxed twice on teh same earnings.

It might be worth shelling out a little cash to get advice now on what will be your tax situation - this may affect your retirement planning.

Unfortunately, the US retirement system/retirement plans (defined contribution, not defined benefit) pale in comparison to the UK defined benefit ("final salary") pensions. I was just looking at my 9-year contribution pension pot in the US and calculating what pension I would get if I used it to buy an annuity now (i.e., pretending I was 65 now), and it was about 30% of what I would get from 9 years of contributions to a final salary scheme, like I'm doing now.

Glad you clarified your comment about the large bin - I knew what you meant.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:52 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Somerset/Denise Just which part of Somerset did you live in, please don't say Frome or it would be just too freaky LOL!! You will only "get this" if you have read all the old posts.......

Highspeed Grandma/Sue Wow I cannot believe it is 6 months since you posted!! That was some post so you made up for the 6 months LOL!! It was really good reading.

Looks like you have been having a great time in Hong Kong with your daughter and grandchildren but are ready to move on to the next phase...........and eerrrr what an interesting phase you are considering!!

Like Wawa I would sooner jump off a cliff than live with my ex-husband so I can't really relate to how well you get on with your ex.

Of course the ideal living arrangement would be to share a house with a garden and your own bedroom and bathroom and space with another adult rather than with your daughter and her bf in a probably small flat but whether the other adult should be your ex husband is only something you can decide.

I know you say your (American??) husband doesn't want to leave his home and life in America.......are you maybe giving him a bit of a kick up the a$$ to make a decision one way or the other..........like a make or break time?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This picture is great
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/5325605898

Amazing composition!
Thanks for the kind words. I am constantly amazed at the minute size of the builidings in the very old part of town. These cottages are up on a little paved pathway, above Catherine Hill, which is where the 'twee' shops are located. Each little cottage has a front door, with a street number, but I cannot fathom that anyone can live in them - they are the size of a British beach hut! I intend to find out if they are, in fact, inhabited or just for storage or for show.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:13 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Thanks for the kind words. I am constantly amazed at the minute size of the builidings in the very old part of town. These cottages are up on a little paved pathway, above Catherine Hill, which is where the 'twee' shops are located. Each little cottage has a front door, with a street number, but I cannot fathom that anyone can live in them - they are the size of a British beach hut! I intend to find out if they are, in fact, inhabited or just for storage or for show.
I remember them Rosie and some have kind of "strange" things in the window and you think "Does anybody actually live here or is this some kind of show for visitors?" Do let us know.

Have you been to the very top of Catherine Hill where you come out on the main road can't remember it's name but you pass that dress shop called "Deadlier Than The Female" on your right and when you come to the top you turn right and go past a chippy, a newsagent, a horsey shop (!!) and then there is this antique/modern homeware shop, a bit shabby chic for Denise/DDL and SallySimmons, ooooh I did buy me some lovely knick knacks in there that are hanging on my wall now as we speak.

Just looked at your photo's, oh those Carol Mice are in the wool shop in Catherine Hill aren't they? I bought some knitting needles and wool and a pattern there to knit beanies for the great nephews and they are still intact in my drawer in Australia, looks like they will be heading back with me again.

Looking out of your window is that yellow house I can see near to Marks and Spencer's??

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 5th 2011 at 8:19 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Rosie,
As always your posts are the best. I walk every step of the way with you. I've been gone most of the day so I'm catching up now and I've read some of your post twice.
The reason I'm on these forums is to open my eyes to some of the disappointments I may encounter back in Blighty. I think I can get around some of them especially since they have been reported here.
I want to know if you are comfortable in your private space(flat)?
I know you are warm, got a telly and its raining outside. Now can we all pop over and visit?
I am glad that you can walk with me as I write. That is a true compliment, and it is appreciated. I do tend to see this new home of mine through other eyes when I am out and about - seeing the good and the not so good as I go. My new flat is not warm until I put on the heater for a while, which is disappointing. And it is noisy as it is on the main road. And I was getting very lonely with the seasonal break being so long here, keeping me away from other human contact for so many days. I did walk out and about almost daily, but people in the street were usually walking in couples, and I ended up being an obvious tourist with my camera. Anyhow, that is now behind me, and I am on the internet again, which will make a huge difference in my lonely feelings. Plus, and this is a huge plus, my upstairs neighbour is a keen landscape photographer so now I have another camera person in close proximity. He is also a good guitar player, so I am sometimes privy to hear his music through the floorboards. How long will I stay here in this little place? I have no idea. I will start to meet local people tomorrow night at a Sustainable Frome meeting, as I mentioned in a prior posting. And that should make my solo life more interesting. I have been in this situation more than once, having moved to a new area and knowing no one. With a bit of effort on my part, I made friends and got involved in interesting local activities, so here's hoping. I promise more Frome photos later on today. Rosie
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheers
Hi Poppycat, Where in the US and where are you going in the UK.
I'm in AZ & heading home to Edinburgh, Scotland. Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

I feel very positive about my move and confident it's the right thing for me to do, just as I felt emigrating 10yrs ago was the right thing for me to do. And, at that time, it was. I've had a bumpy ride at times but I've learned a lot, developed deeper personal insight, and had lots of experiences and opportunities I most certainly wouldn't have had if I hadn't emigrated. For these reasons, I have no regrets. I don't dislike the USA or Americans (well, maybe my ex ); it just isn't 'home' to me. I know there will be things I'll miss about the States, however, I won't miss them enough to stop me making the move back home. The very thought of growing old(er) in this country fills me with absolute dread. I feel very fortunate I have the option to 'jump ship'. To be 'stuck' here and elderly would be my worst nightmare. I also feel very fortunate I still have all my family back home. I take my hat off to those of you with no family making the move home on your own and I'm truly in awe of your courage. But ya know what? The very fact you have the courage to follow your heart tells me you're going to succeed.

We're a special breed, we expats, but one thing we've all got in common is our sense of adventure and the courage to step outside of our comfort zone and embrace new experiences. We should be proud of ourselves! Yay us!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hello Rosie.

Ive read all your posts on this thread, it seems like you've got a lot done even with the Christmas stoppage, plus you've learned a few of us about bank accounts, security checks and buying Electricity on a stick, I can remember the 50p slot, and I'm sure others can too and yes all other denominations.

I can see you are going to be an involved citizen in Frome.

I hope that TV licence is transferable just in case.

Good luck to you as always.
Thanks, Fish. Glad that you got something positive from my recent postings. That is why I have been writing them as I have, and I know there have been a lot recently - because I was deprived of this site due to the inability of the Frome public library internet system malfunctioning. So all this pent up stuff has come flooding out in one day instead of as it happened. Which is why I put the Railway porter incident on a separate thread - too much information all at once in one space! Yes the TV licence is transferrable to a new address, so long as I advise them - there is an address on the rear of the licence itself. Now if only the darn Pension would get sorted out, I could stop being so tense. They do say it takes about 8 weeks, and they are not wrong. I did not apply sooner because I wanted to see my ex's living situation - I am eligible for 50% of his pension - but he is on disabilty, and has been for years, so his pension will be small too. Which is why I took advice from Age UK on this issue, and applied on my own, with Pension Credit application at the same time. It all boils down to living expenses.. always does.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I remember them Rosie and some have kind of "strange" things in the window and you think "Does anybody actually live here or is this some kind of show for visitors?" Do let us know.

Have you been to the very top of Catherine Hill where you come out on the main road can't remember it's name but you pass that dress shop called "Deadlier Than The Female" on your right and when you come to the top you turn right and go past a chippy, a newsagent, a horsey shop (!!) and then there is this antique/modern homeware shop, a bit shabby chic for Denise/DDL and SallySimmons, ooooh I did buy me some lovely knick knacks in there that are hanging on my wall now as we speak.

Just looked at your photo's, oh those Carol Mice are in the wool shop in Catherine Hill aren't they? I bought some knitting needles and wool and a pattern there to knit beanies for the great nephews and they are still intact in my drawer in Australia, looks like they will be heading back with me again.

Looking out of your window is that yellow house I can see near to Marks and Spencer's??
No the yellow house is the Market House, located on the edge of the Public Parking lot near to the Library. It is on Bridge Street. The mice are in the Catherine Hill wool shop, and I have been to the other places you mentioned - if you walk a bit further past the shabby chic place, there is a tea rooms, and I took lots of interior photos there on the day I rented this place and was killing time waiting to walk to the train back to London. Got to dash - more later. Rosie
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

poppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nicepoppycat is just really nice

I would sooner jump off a cliff than live with my ex-husband.......
Here, here! But to heck with me jumping; I'd rather push my ex-husband off a cliff!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:33 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
No the yellow house is the Market House, located on the edge of the Public Parking lot near to the Library. It is on Bridge Street. The mice are in the Catherine Hill wool shop, and I have been to the other places you mentioned - if you walk a bit further past the shabby chic place, there is a tea rooms, and I took lots of interior photos there on the day I rented this place and was killing time waiting to walk to the train back to London. Got to dash - more later. Rosie
The shop I am talking about is a little further up the hill I think, right to the toppermost.........just did a google, Antiques and Country Living, Vallis Way, off Christchurch Street West, some of my own personal knick knacks from that shop....
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-dscf3429.jpg  
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:34 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by poppycat
Here, here! But to heck with me jumping; I'd rather push my ex-husband off a cliff!
Me too, but was being polite LOL!!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Wow - interesting post!! I've never been a person to tell someone what to do about their personal life, but since you've asked for opinions/advice, here's my thought. If you want to stay married to your current husband, forget about house-sharing with your ex - not a good idea.
I agree.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

The shop I am talking about is a little further up the hill I think, right to the toppermost.........just did a google, Antiques and Country Living, Vallis Way, off Christchurch Street West, some of my own personal knick knacks from that shop....
Gorgeous knick knacks

That is my style too ,I have SO many gorgeous things here and I was worried I would not find as much choice when we get back (or be able to take them ?)

Anyway , now that I have even been checking the UK ebay site ,I feel a bit better !

I'm heading for Dorset ,I have seen a few shops like that from time to time they are so tempting ...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, know the place - had my nose pressed to the window one day last week when all places were closed and I had Cabin Fever... when I get my finances sorted out, and there is incoming and not all outgoing, I will cross the threshold. There are some lovely places in Frome, some nice shop windows and a touch of whimsy - which is probably needed because the places are so tiny. By the way, can you PM me and tell me where the retirement home in which you worked is located - the guides to Frome that I have to hand do not mention it. The care home I am applying to work at is on Styles Hill - Frome Care Village. My doctor told me it is mainly dementia patients, so I have no idea how that will work out - I have only worked with people with normal memories, and college students. New beginnings? Will soon find out.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Me too, but was being polite LOL!!
Is there space for one more ex in this cliff jump/push?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.