Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Wait until you get to the UK and watch The Jeremy Kyle show or Trisha Goddard!!
It's not mandatory to watch those shows is it? Because I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a fork repeatedly

A new season of 'Great British railways' just started and for anyone who can watch UK shows, I highly recommend it. Michael Portillo (yes, the old Tory minister of all people) travels Britain by train. In the first season he went up North and this time he's in the south of the country. It's so interesting and it's helping me make a list of places we must visit if we ever get back.

High Speed Grandma, I don't know what advice to give other than obviously only you and your husband know what's best. I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 5th 2011 at 12:53 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:54 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Is there space for one more ex in this cliff jump/push?
Just to even things out please count me in with my ex.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kind words. I am constantly amazed at the minute size of the builidings in the very old part of town. These cottages are up on a little paved pathway, above Catherine Hill, which is where the 'twee' shops are located. Each little cottage has a front door, with a street number, but I cannot fathom that anyone can live in them - they are the size of a British beach hut! I intend to find out if they are, in fact, inhabited or just for storage or for show.
There are some very tiny ones in Kendal, although maybe not that small. They seem to be one small bedroom with a teeny bath (added long after they were built of course) and a living room and kitchen downstairs, both tiny also. I suppose they would have been worker's cottages and back then having your own house and your own front door was hugely important because so many people had to share with lodgers. So even though they were tiny, they would have felt like palaces.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:32 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Attn; HighSpeedGrandma

Wow - what a story! I'm sure you will miss Hong Kong when you move on; not just missing your daughter, s-i-l and your grandchildren, but Hong Kong itself, which I find to be exhilarating.

I'm in no way qualified to give you any personal advice, but your story reminded me of a TV comedy series which was on in the early 70's. It was called "My Wife Next Door" starring Hannah Gordon and John Alderton (you may recall that he was a teacher in 'Please Sir!' and in another TV comedy series with real-life wife Pauline Collins in 'No Honestly').

"My Wife Next Door" was about a divorced couple who by coincidence move to the countryside and discover that they've bought adjoining cottages:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068110/ (scroll down to read ' User reviews')
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Somersetgirl...Glad to have you here, hope you learn alot, if you need some advice just ask. Those of us who have been out of the UK for many years are scared about going home but I think we are more scared about growing old in our respective second homes. If you read postings from those who have returned home you will see they are doing very well. You said you have been in Canada for 30years do you have any children or animals.

Charleygirl... How are you doing not working too hard are you.
Thanks for the welcome Trottytrue. Yes, everyone who has gone back does seem to be happy with the decision, even though its not all smooth sailing, but that's Ok, we're all strong people, we can handle it.

No, we don't have children to leave behind, so that makes it so much easier. Pets...yes many over the years, but since we lost our last sweet dog to old age, we are waiting until we are settled to get that new little puppy.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

I just finished posting the latest photos of Frome in case anyone wants to look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

Rosie
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Gorgeous knick knacks

That is my style too ,I have SO many gorgeous things here and I was worried I would not find as much choice when we get back (or be able to take them ?)

Anyway , now that I have even been checking the UK ebay site ,I feel a bit better !

I'm heading for Dorset ,I have seen a few shops like that from time to time they are so tempting ...
I don't know about the USA Gab, but WAY WAY more choice over there than Australia and not too pricey either.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about the USA Gab, but WAY WAY more choice over there than Australia and not too pricey either.
that is good news !

So easy to transform cheap furniture too, for shabby chic /cottage ,just coats (and coats lol ) of white/pastel paint !

I am quite obsessed with the colors and styles in my home so I have been plotting how to make myself feel happy (on a limited budget ) when we get back
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie,
I just got through the new pictures and I appreciate you posting them!
I noticed almost no pedestrians, is that because you took the pictures on a Sunday?
Have you been back to Bath since the day you moved to Frome?
On the one photo you listed it as 'Cowman' shop but the sign over the entrance says some thing different 'Crowman'. JTYWLTK.

I would like a showing of your bedsit. Why? To see what we would get for our money. I think it is a humble beginning. I understand if you prefer not to.

When was the last time the river flooded?

What is the Market House used for? My guess is offices?

Rosie I hear you on road noise. I have stayed in places and they may have been alright in the past when they were build and when there was horse and carts but now with motor traffic it is the pits.

I like the idea of a shared house for all of us but I think that is a little naive thinking that people could get along because we get set our ways. Great concept though.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

The shop I am talking about is a little further up the hill I think, right to the toppermost.........just did a google, Antiques and Country Living, Vallis Way, off Christchurch Street West, some of my own personal knick knacks from that shop....
Hey Barb, do you think you have a heart problem?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Fish. Glad that you got something positive from my recent postings. That is why I have been writing them as I have, and I know there have been a lot recently - because I was deprived of this site due to the inability of the Frome public library internet system malfunctioning. So all this pent up stuff has come flooding out in one day instead of as it happened. Which is why I put the Railway porter incident on a separate thread - too much information all at once in one space! Yes the TV licence is transferrable to a new address, so long as I advise them - there is an address on the rear of the licence itself. Now if only the darn Pension would get sorted out, I could stop being so tense. They do say it takes about 8 weeks, and they are not wrong. I did not apply sooner because I wanted to see my ex's living situation - I am eligible for 50% of his pension - but he is on disabilty, and has been for years, so his pension will be small too. Which is why I took advice from Age UK on this issue, and applied on my own, with Pension Credit application at the same time. It all boils down to living expenses.. always does.
Rosie, I always get something good for from your posts.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is there space for one more ex in this cliff jump/push?
Go ahead line him up, I'm sure there will be others. LOL
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just finished posting the latest photos of Frome in case anyone wants to look: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandwoman/

Rosie
Wow Rosie the rear of number 5 North Parade is weird, Ive never seen an addition like that before, maybe its an outside toilet. LOL.

I'm not much of a religious person anymore but still I like Churches and their grounds in the UK, truly beautiful.

I love the door at Lazy dog cottage #24.

Frome looks wonderful, it gives you a sense of peace, I like all the old stone buildings, just not sure I could live in one as it may be very cold.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rosie, I always get something good for from your posts.
Thanks - if you go over to the thread in which I gave the Railway Porter story, you will find I am not appreciated there - seem to have encouraged a lot of weird people. So I am not going to return to that - this thread only. I am not in the mood to answer most of the recent posters on the other thread. And if they follow me over here, I will just duck out altogether - can't stand those types. I should have told them to take a hike...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Thanks - if you go over to the thread in which I gave the Railway Porter story, you will find I am not appreciated there - seem to have encouraged a lot of weird people. So I am not going to return to that - this thread only. I am not in the mood to answer most of the recent posters on the other thread. And if they follow me over here, I will just duck out altogether - can't stand those types. I should have told them to take a hike...
I agree ,stick here

Although I am only 39 ,it is* almost* the only forum where people 'talk ' and are respectful .

My Husband is nearly 52 though ... I have learnt so much about jobs etc here ...

I have followed your story ,you are a brave woman -I am glad you are starting to settle now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.