Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Found this article in Telegraph: thehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/offshorefinance/8055346/More-than-half-of-British-expats-do-not-want-to-return-home.html

Beedubya..I once stayed with my friends Aunt in Torquay had a nice holiday.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Place by the sea meant within the UK.
Oh OK then how about Guernsey or Jersey, they are UK aren't they, every time I see them on TV or in pictures it looks lovely and sunny. My Nana went on holiday there in summer back in the 70's and always came back with a sunburn
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh OK then how about Guernsey or Jersey, they are UK aren't they, every time I see them on TV or in pictures it looks lovely and sunny. My Nana went on holiday there in summer back in the 70's and always came back with a sunburn
I been to Jersey and I really liked it I also like the Isle of Wight so many nice places.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

This is good for those who wanted to calculate how much money they would need to retire in the UK
http://annuity.telegraph.co.uk/retir...ign=retirement
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
That reminds me of the not too complimentary statement "he knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Something to think about.

Why back home in the states we could get that twice as big at half the price! lol
Perhaps, that is where the obesity is coming from? just Sayin'
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I been to Jersey and I really liked it I also like the Isle of Wight so many nice places.
My nan used to live on the Isle of Man, supposed to be really nice there too, in fact everywhere is just bloomin' luverly.

('cept Runcorn of course LOL!! )
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you Rodney,
Yes I am excited, and just a little sad, saying goodbye is never easy. I have been packed for a while, and also have 4 suitcases...
I will keep in touch and let evryone know how its going. Its going to be different I know, but I am looking forward to the new adventure..

Don, Miracle whip, is a form of mayonaise..
Jackie
Jackie,Oh! Like Salad Cream then? Some are fine, others I do not care for. Safe Journey - Love Don xx.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Are you doing a bit of Match making there Don?
Barb - Jealousy will get you everywhere! Ask Rod - He asked her for a get together! Don
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Nay, Nay, Nay lass.
There are about 20 Costco Warehouses in the UK and in order to become a member you have to be in a business (like Quantas)
It is much easier to become a member in the US.
It costs $50 a year for a membership here in the US. We are not a member this year because we don't need to buy in quantity and we like keeping the $50.
There is one in Liverpool and one in Chester. Take your pick.
Let me know if I can answer anymore about them
Let me add, Costco is run by a man who cares about his employees, unlike GREEDY Walmart/Sams/Asda, he's a hands on type, the type of person Id love to work for.

I reccomended Costco to my best friend in the UK and he loves it, No dissapointments, Its not just bulk food, you can buy Tvs, computers, Electrical, Tyres, phones, garden supplies, eyes glasses, prescriptions, Gas and much more.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Let me add, Costco is run by a man who cares about his employees, unlike GREEDY Walmart/Sams/Asda, he's a hands on type, the type of person Id love to work for.

I reccomended Costco to my best friend in the UK and he loves it, No dissapointments, Its not just bulk food, you can buy Tvs, computers, Electrical, Tyres, phones, garden supplies, eyes glasses, prescriptions, Gas and much more.
And loads of food that is not in bulk. Probably 75% is not bulk. I'm so happy, I can walk to my Costco. Read about a nutritional study out of UC San Diego, I think, and their dog food brand (lamb and rice) ranks near the top in nutrition...and I can walk.....4 blocks.....walking now.....that's a must when moving back. Has to be a Costco around.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us without a car in the UK, this seems a pretty good deal, Train and Car......

http://carhire.thetrainline.com/?clientId=255554#quote
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us without a car in the UK, this seems a pretty good deal, Train and Car......

Looks Great to me, Handy, thanks Barb...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tyrone
Hi Jasper123
I have been enjoying your observations and comments on your return home. I live in Westchester, NY which is about 30 mins ride by train to Manhattan. I left NI after college in the late sixties and landed in NY and stayed a while before travelling and living in Toronto and Sydney in the late 70's and back to NY in 1980. I am eligible to register for Medicare this November and I have decided next year I will retire in NI as I have lots of cousins back there. My main reason for leaving family here and returning is that I have a fear of ending up in a nursing home in NY State. As an american citizen it will be easy to come back and forth to shop and visit friends and my docs for yearly checkups as they are direct daily flights into Belfast. I did look into purchasing a home in NI but I was advised that it was cheaper for me to rent and live of the 401K interest along with my monthly SS so that I have to find out about. I have started keeping a folder with all the great ideas that I see posted and I appreciate all the input and as I gain info on my journey I will go in and list it. I basically have 18 months to go, I am going back in April or May this year for a quick research visit and ask lots of questions, I will not get a pension at home although for a laugh I asked as I worked all my college years in the summer they said I would qualify for 89p! I did not ask anything else as I was LOL with the gentleman. Anyway this is a brief synopsis of my story and I am full of fear but will go foward with the plan as leaving home as a young graduate and returning as a senior person is going to be a challenge so bring it on.
There is no place like home.....look forward to reading your listings as I am really a secret lurker!
Tyrone
Thanks Tyrone for telling us a little of your life, well you certainly have led an interesting life havent you, So you are planing on returning to Northern Ireland in about 18 months, good on ya !!!!!
And as you say its only a short flight to N.Y. from N.I. and you can always visit friends,
Well all I can say is you must beat just about everyone here on time away from UK,
I was 40 years away altogether --- all three countries, and you a bit more then that I think,
Well Tyrone unless you prefer being a lurker on this thread all your life why dont you knock on the door a bit more often, Im sure everyone on here would love to hear your storys and comments,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
you are too right. No matter how prepared you think you are or how British in the blood, it is a real culture shock. Not because it isnt what you want or who you are..but because its all of a sudden 'unfamiliar'. I think you cant really get past this point until you really do feel that all is familiar again and that takes time. I think we all look back at some point and think 'why did I make my life so difficult? Things were not perfect , but they were comfortable.'
I have been through some rough spots in the past five years, and even though I started to feel settled and happy...it was only recently, like in the past year that I can honestly say that its all familiar now and I know what I am doing. I am really comfortable now. really really comfortable.
Its a relief because now I finally feel that I am in my own element and yes, I truly am British in my blood. But you cant rush this, not after spending so many years away and learning different ways. It does take time. Lots of time.
It's great to hear that you are settled in - I remember following all of your QM2 posts back when you were getting ready to leave. You are right, for some people it can take ages to really feel at home back in the UK, especially if you have been away a long time. I'm still not settled after nearly 5 years (far from it, actually), though I think if I were retired it would be a lot easier (most of my stress and unsettled status is to do with my job, and knock-on effects on my social life or lack of time for a social life).
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:42 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Be advised that thetrainline.com site gets you to the last step and only then advises you that it will slap on a credit card charge.

This site gives you the same tickets at the same price and (last time I used it) there was no additional charge for paying by CC:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.