Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
People I think are buying automatics for three reasons. A lot of the rental cars are automatics because of the demand from foreign visitors and so when the rental companies turn them over they end up on the used car market. Up until recently the fuel economy on automatics has been a lot less that stick shifts. BMW is a case in point and they now advertise that their automatics get better fuel economy that standard transmission cars. The last reason is with the common found traffic jams around the UK people must get tired of using their clutch so the next car they want it to be an automatic.
Cheers
Hello Cheers - The real reason there are getting more Automatics, is because, when like myself, a guy has a heart attack, the hospital Cardiologist will recommend that you get an Automatic when you change your motor, as it is less stressfull for the heart. Simple really - but many guys are very reluctant to change, because at one time, the gearbox was so expensive, should it need repair..& they like to think they are Stirling Moss - remember him?..And also, it was widely reported, when an elderly lady, backed over a cliff, on a coast road. dontheturner
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Personally, I think it's irresponsible to automatically renew the driving privileges of returning expats who have not driven over here for 20, 30, 40 or more years. Rules have changed, signage has changed, there are a lot more big vehicles on the road (such as SUVs) than there used to be, and the roads are much more congested than they were when they last drove over here. But hey ho ... what do I know.
I don't know ... we fell back into it easily enough when we were back last year. I really didn't find it much different. Then again, I'm up in the north where I intend to always be, so maybe it's different there.

It's funny - we have a roundabout in our little town (a 'traffic circle' in US lingo) and nobody knows how to drive round the bloody thing. They make me NUTS!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:39 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
We have been doing our family history. She's been able to fill in the blanks I had with some interesting pieces of information. I had no idea we had two Anglican bishops in the family and a Vice-Chancellor of Cambridge.
Holy cow! My mum and I are doing our family history and we couldn't be more different. Irish immigrants who moved to York after the potato famine and mostly seemed to have spent their time drinking and beating their wives. Thankfully my direct descendent made a better life for himself - got a union job and a little terraced house - but his brothers and sisters were a rum lot!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Celticspirit...take at look at my last posting...you're OK!!
Thank you Somerset Girl......maybe I won't have to take the test again after all!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could email the DVLA and ask them about this point....we found them very helpful and received a fast response by email.
Good point thanks, it's worth a shot. If I could just get it over with here while I've got the stick shift car at my disposable it would be great, not sure how long it'll be before I've got access to a car over the pond.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Holy cow! My mum and I are doing our family history and we couldn't be more different. Irish immigrants who moved to York after the potato famine and mostly seemed to have spent their time drinking and beating their wives. Thankfully my direct descendent made a better life for himself - got a union job and a little terraced house - but his brothers and sisters were a rum lot!
This was many years before my time, SS. I knew nothing of any of this until very recently. I am sure there are skeletons somewhere. We just have to reveal them.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:33 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Hey Rod you really know how to hurt a guy. I just walked in from doing my monthly shopping. First comment, there was a guy in the grocery store who said he had driven 200 miles to shop. He was a long haired grey 60 years old man. He must live out in the sticks in Nevada. Second comment, I think I paid $200 in the four stops I made, and you saying what you paid,..I should have taken a loan out on my house to pay for everything because everything has gone up so much.
You know the prices have gone up here too. We drive about 40 miles to the grocery store (boonies here too) and the last two weeks I have spent over $100, it was $145 today and we didn't get any more than usual.
Local shop 10 miles into town would have been double that.
Rods trip sounds like heaven.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:32 pm
Finally Home!

Somebody sent me this song and I thought you'd all enjoy the sentiment

Paul McCartney "I Want to Come Home."
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney, Thanks so much for listing your groceries, that is so helpful. I can't believe how cheap everything is, much cheaper than Canada.

Being able to walk to the local shops and the library, or a walk along the clifftops looking down at the sea, is my idea of heaven! You sound so happy, its wonderful to hear.
It is cheaper I agree, but when you consider that today I exchanged some US dollars for Pounds, and it cost me $1.78 per pound at the buy back rate....not as cheap as it sounds..lol
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Have you driven at all since you got home Jackie?
How is the jet lag? Hopefully you are fully recovered.
Have you caught up with any old (former friends)?
I havent driven yet, just been running around with my parents, visiting, getting my UK passport sorted, going to a GP etc....only been here a week and my feet havent touched the ground..I still am not sleeping well, but I think thats just more of an age thing than anything else.
I am going out for a drink with a Man I have been chatting with for a couple of months online on Saturday evening. He lives in Sleaford, which is 15 mins from here. It will be nice to have a chat and a glass of wine with someone my own age.
Jackie..
Old Feb 4th 2011, 2:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I havent driven yet, just been running around with my parents, visiting, getting my UK passport sorted, going to a GP etc....only been here a week and my feet havent touched the ground..I still am not sleeping well, but I think thats just more of an age thing than anything else.
I am going out for a drink with a Man I have been chatting with for a couple of months online on Saturday evening. He lives in Sleaford, which is 15 mins from here. It will be nice to have a chat and a glass of wine with someone my own age.
Jackie..
Old Feb 4th 2011, 3:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Somebody sent me this song and I thought you'd all enjoy the sentiment

Paul McCartney "I Want to Come Home."

Good old Macca, another good Scouser.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I still am not sleeping well, but I think thats just more of an age thing than anything else.
Jackie..
See I let you out my sight for one minute and off you go with someone else. What a two timer.

On the sleep thing. I struggle with the same thing and it may be some of the medicvations and some doctors say if I could lose some weight. I'm only about 190lbs. But I digress. There is a list of the things you can eat and drink. Some that I remember are before you go to bed eat a banana, fix and eat oatmeal and also have warm milk.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:28 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

With regard to comments that food is 'so much cheaper' over here, one simply cannot make such a generalization. It's the same situation here as it is anywhere:
  • You can buy really, really inexpensive food (I'm thinking particularly of Tesco's 'own' brand) that is for the most part, pants;
  • You can find medium-grade food (not the best in the world, but good value for money); or
  • You can splurge with, for example, 'the good stuff' (i.e., M&S 'Finest', etc.)
For us, the real advantage is the mere fact that we can now buy and eat all that lovely British food that we missed so much in the States.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 5:30 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

It is cheaper I agree, but when you consider that today I exchanged some US dollars for Pounds, and it cost me $1.78 per pound at the buy back rate....not as cheap as it sounds..lol
god, don't I know, ldyinlv, same here! I can't wait until I start earning pounds so I can spend them instead of having to convert my dollars to pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.