Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes Denise, you are having the same experience as I did, everything in the shops you want, just a matter of sourcing it, like Rodney with his hot sauces.

Yes there is B & M in GB, I got sooooo many bargains there, unbelievable!! I bought these sticker type things for the kids bedroom walls, French type decor, £1.99 each, I saw the same here in Australia the other week for $25.00!!!!

The BIG think you need to do in the UK is shop around, bargains are all there for the asking!! It can become like a little hobby for some.
Interestingly we bought a bottle of Australian Shiraz in Sydney for $12 and here in Dallas in my local grocery store, it costs $6.99...same brand.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I love the shopping up North, do not like it here in Cork, and the xmas atmosphere here in cork was dismal compared to Belfast. My oh and I went to Belfast for 3 days I think it was around the 17th December, we went to a lovely restaurant overlooking our beautiful city hall, and it started to snow, it was really beautiful, as the continental market was in the grounds of the city hall and it was like a winter wonderland, the town was crowded with shoppers in to have a drink or a meal before heading home, the laughter is what struck me most, it was so real and genuine, and people seemed just so happy go lucky. We ended up going to a pub called Fibber MaGees, it was packed and the music was just fantastic, the old hand clapping irish music, that everyones knows and loves, it was great, here in Cork it was so deadso my OH and I decided to go north again....... Oh my!!!!: am I ever going to settle...... Please Please
OOhhh that sounds so lovely and lively Denise, yes move back to some life, you are too "young" for the old folks home just yet!!

I said the same to my sister the other day "Will I ever settle down?" - I am like a wandering minstrel LOL!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 20th 2011 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:58 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Interestingly we bought a bottle of Australian Shiraz in Sydney for $12 and here in Dallas in my local grocery store, it costs $6.99...same brand.
That is astounding Celtic. No wonder I am finding it really hard to manage here, I swear Australian prices have gone through the roof these past few years. How can a bottle of wine cost more in it's home country than in the US after freight and handling charges?

Something tells me we are getting ripped off here.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Celticspirit, believe it or not many areas (not London)in GB are now cheaper than Belfast to rent. The agents have jumped on the band wagon and every month the rents are going up by approx £50, and they are rentingWe are moving back north and I can't get anything so far at my price (max £550 pcm) at a push maybe £600, and I am really having trouble. My sister has a holdiay home in Moville in Donegal and has said we can use that until we are fixed up, thank god for family If you are prepared to go outside the city ie Lisburn, Moira, Dromore, or on the other side, Glengormley, carrickfergus ect: you can get cheaper, but I wanted to stay close to my family and it is proving a real trial I will keep you informed. If you google houses to rent belfast, and go to propertynews, you will get a good idea of the prices and areas. Good luck Denise2
Property News is a good one and I like PropertyPal even more. It is easier to navigate. My brother hade a large home on Rugby Road ( four stories) backing onto Botanic Gardens. I would love to live in the same area but it is too pricey and want to hopefully be independent. I grew up on Somerton Road off Fortwilliam and after getting married lived on Carmoney Road before moving to Dallas. Funny thing we had a housekeeper from Moville for many years. It is a lovely part of the world.
I check PropertyPal everyday even though I still don't have a plan in place.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:08 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Thank you Sally, I tried and tried but couldn't figure it out. It must know I'm on an American netbook. It's rather obvious however that the comparison is quite biased. In which direction, I will not say.
Do you mean you think they cherry-picked criteria to make the US look bad? They do show that salaries are much higher in the US.

I don't know what other criteria they could have chosen that would have made the US look better though - we do use more natural resources per person than most western countries and we do spend more on health care for lower life expectancy.

Interesting to see that the UK compares unfavorably to Spain and Australia.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
There was a lengthy thread on the US forum a couple of weeks back debating this and as you said, the PBS version will be the exact same.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=downton
One other difference with our original British one apart from knowing for sure that it hasn't been cut is that ----- our 9 hours was divided up in 3 consecutive days, about 3 hours each day and that was it, I think its interesting how the British air a mini series, and how the Americans do and have one episode every week,
ANYWAY it was a great series and I loved it --- and it just reminded me how good the British are at drama especially period drama with all the British history & all.
Rodney.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

That is astounding Celtic. No wonder I am finding it really hard to manage here, I swear Australian prices have gone through the roof these past few years. How can a bottle of wine cost more in it's home country than in the US after freight and handling charges?

Something tells me we are getting ripped off here.
Well Barb I would say yes if you consider too the can of custard you put down when you saw the price of $5.95
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123...It was me who almost bought the can of custard but what makes it worse it that its British people ripping me off. The shop in Westford is run by someone from outside London and the one in Peabody is run by a women from Scotland. I know they need some profit but not that much. I know they do well because they are always going on wonderful holidays and the chap from London has a really expensive car. Which my husband never fails to let me know.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Interesting but I can't seem to find the way to compare the US to the UK. It only gives you the option of comparing the UK to the US with "If you lived in the US, you would...."
Click on the box that says "Compare the US to other countries"

http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/GB

(Oops, too late, already been pointed out)
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:01 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Well Barb I would say yes if you consider too the can of custard you put down when you saw the price of $5.95
Yes Rodney it was TT not me so there!!

I will still pick up the bottle of wine though.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
My step daughter went to boarding school in Colwyn Bay when she was about 11! Don't remember the name of the school - it was a long time ago - but was a lovely place.
Penrhos? http://www.rydalpenrhos.com/
It was the girls boarding school. It's combined with the boys school now (Rydal) so they have mixed classes, both were very posh back in the day and they let the girls and boys out on alternating Saturdays guess they wanted to keep them all apart.
We used to go swimming at the boys indoor pool once a week. Then our school started to use the indoor pool too and taught us all to swim.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jan 20th 2011 at 10:40 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Then you need to join the ''Three Towns Forum'' - and I will see you on there. ( Same name) dontheturner
It's so slow over there I tried. I prefer this lot.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Yes Morrisons is a good store, me and Mum and her friend Molly go there every Thursday, we do so much shopping there and right next door we go to another store called Liddles, also I nice store and do the rest,

Havent checked out the Pizza yet, thanks next week we must try one, trouble is I noticed at most stores they dont sell the one I love and thats the Hawaiian one ham & pineapple,
Denise something you may be able to help me with --- you being American & all and living over here in UK, ---- I love hot sauce like tabasco on chicken and fish and also my eggs & omelettes when I cook them, I have searched and searched for any kind of hot sauce and it seems it dont exist over here ---- and also Ive looked and looked for any type of steak sauce too, my favorite is heinze 57, do you know any store over here that sales them? --- I bought a nice pack of 4 big thick sirloin steaks yesterday, cost on sale at the local high street Butcher Shop was £10 for the pack, not bad really for over here, but I took them home and I cooked one each for me and Mum last night, we had them with oven chips and peas, and I enjoyed it as it was the first steak Ive eaten since leaving Las Vegas, and Mum loved it, said that was a special treat, --- but Denise our taste buds I think are a lot different then the local people over here, the steak did not have any taste to it at all, even though I seasoned it with salt & black pepper before cooking,
I wanted to add my usual garlic but Mum dont like anything added to anything except a little pepper, I think thats how most English like there food kind of Blan is that the word? but that steak just ddidn'ttaste like any steak in America that I have ever had --- even without seasoning the steaks in US are very tasty --- you know what I mean, what do you think? mmaybeif I had some 57 sauce to put on it --- it would have maybe had a little taste,
Take care,
Rodney.
Go looking again, my Mum always had Tabasco sauce on hand when I was a kid.
I like plain Ham pizza, then open a can of pineapple and make my own Hawaiian and sprinkle a little more cheese on.
Also keep an eye out for an Aldi's grocery store, they have a lot of American stuff, it can be hit and miss, I was in there over 4th of July one year they had everything you need to have a BBQ even proper US hot dogs in plastic packets in the fridge, and proper buns
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Yes Morrisons is a good store, me and Mum and and searched for any kind of hot sauce and it seems it dont exist over here :asty --- you know what I mean, what do you think? mmaybeif I had some 57 sauce to put on it --- it would have maybe had a little taste,
Take care,
Rodney.
Rodney. If you buy steak, it is not so tasty from a Butchers- better to go to Morrisons, and buy Australian Steak. They do sell Tabasco Sauce, and Fish Sauce for seasoning ( better than Salt) and also stock Heinz Steak Sauce - as they do here, Also at Tesco. Some English Folk use Garlic. Plant some in your flower border ( keeps the ants away) then pull and use them. That's what my wife will be doing. - I don't eat it myself , but she does. Don
Old Jan 21st 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

What are you doing there? I thought you were in Shropshire?

Does the three town thingie cover other parts of N. Wales like Bethesda and Penmaenmawr?
Barb ---Not back in Shropshire yet - just 30 days away, but I spend lots of time in Llandudno, Love it. and yes, districts are on there too. Please Join. it is good. Love -Dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.