Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

What is the stuff called, steak?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Jackie, me and Mum watched the whole mini series of Downton Abbey, it was great, I have always liked period plays and movies,
Trouble is I read that the U.S. bought the rights to play it in America and they cut the original 9 hour series like we saw in UK --- down to only 7 hours that you are seeing in America now, --- the reason they gave was that the attention span for Americans watching TV is a lot less then the British, in America new TV programs have to get to the plot as soon as possible or they loose the half viewers in the first episode, and they wont tune in again,
Rodney.

Oh my gosh, this dumbing down is awful....like US publishers calling the first Harry Potter book "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" instead of "Harry P and the Philosopher's Stone," because the concept of "philosopher" was considered too hard for US children to understand--regardless of the fact that the "Philosopher's stone" is a well-known phrase, an ancient alchemical concept.......

oh dear, don't get me started!

Another pet peeve is when I'm reading a book by a British author and a British character is speaking and the British usage--pillarbox, for example-- is changed to American even tho the character is meant to be British and would NEVER say "mailbox" or whatever....oh dear, I am on my hobbyhorse now, sorry, Rodney pressed a button there....!

Tina
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:25 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Jackie, me and Mum watched the whole mini series of Downton Abbey, it was great, I have always liked period plays and movies,
Trouble is I read that the U.S. bought the rights to play it in America and they cut the original 9 hour series like we saw in UK --- down to only 7 hours that you are seeing in America now, --- the reason they gave was that the attention span for Americans watching TV is a lot less then the British, in America new TV programs have to get to the plot as soon as possible or they loose the half viewers in the first episode, and they wont tune in again,
Rodney.
Funny! But actually not true. Loving the series BTW.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...-coming-to-pbs
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:36 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Funny! But actually not true. Loving the series BTW.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2...-coming-to-pbs
There was a lengthy thread on the US forum a couple of weeks back debating this and as you said, the PBS version will be the exact same.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=downton
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes, and salsa and corn chips too! My cousin says she goes to the take-o takeaway )
you can get most anything here that you can get in the states/canada. When I went to Canada in 1976 there was so much that was new to me and glamorous, i used to talk about corn on the cob, wild rice ect: but now we have everything here, mexican spices, food, chinese, Indian, thai, asian, you name it we can get it, even Large bbq's fitted kitchens, we even have running water seriously though, times have really changed, and in that case for the better. I can't believe the price you paid for toothpaste and mouthwash Denise, here I can get colegate, crest, Mcleans, all the major brands for between £1-£1.75, I normally get them for 99p I have to use sensodyne and even that when not on special will cost £3.00 somthing. We eat very well, we eat loads of vegetables, homemade pies i.e. shepherds pie, fish pie, steak and onion pies, we make them ourselves from scratch, casseroles, we eat very little prossessed food, and when we go to Tescos we always check their scratch and dent, and have been able to get some beautiful Roast Beef, that just melts in the mouth when cooked. As I am overweight since giving up smoking, I am not buying sweet things and trying to eat more fruit, and already I am feeling more energetic, but I want to join a gym and try and get back into shape. We have a large chain store called B&M, they have taken over from woolworths, and I find them great for a lot of things, I bought a rollor blind for my front window, white with a scolloped edge ( i only rent so did'nt want to buy anything expensive) it is 6ft across, (so not a little window) it cost me £12.00, my daughter could not believe it. Our pound shops (called pound world) are great,pound shops used to be really cheap and nasty, these are great. Iwatched a financial program regarding this company, as they are one of the few doing really well, they were asked how can the sell for example a jar of nescafe coffee (lge) for £1, apparantely large companies phone them when an order has fallen through, they negotiate a price and the company gets the cost of producing the product and the pound shop can sell it on at a profit, so everyone wins. The quality of most of their stuff is really good, don't know if you have them in GB, but if you have you really need to check them out. My little granddaughter wanted a Baby alive boy doll, they are normally £35-39, I got one at £25 in B&M, and if I had waited until the week before xmas I could have gotten it for £20 What I am finding really expensive are the rentals, because of the housing situation, and people not being able to get mortqages it is nearly impossible to get a reasonable rental property, here in Belfast for a 3 bedroom semi, in a DECENT area not an upmarket, you will now pay £650-£800, it is driving me mad Estate agents, I am sorry I just can't stand their greed. :curse:
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
you can get most anything here that you can get in the states/canada. When I went to Canada in 1976 there was so much that was new to me and glamorous, i used to talk about corn on the cob, wild rice ect: but now we have everything here, mexican spices, food, chinese, Indian, thai, asian, you name it we can get it, even Large bbq's fitted kitchens, we even have running water seriously though, times have really changed, and in that case for the better. I can't believe the price you paid for toothpaste and mouthwash Denise, here I can get colegate, crest, Mcleans, all the major brands for between £1-£1.75, I normally get them for 99p I have to use sensodyne and even that when not on special will cost £3.00 somthing. We eat very well, we eat loads of vegetables, homemade pies i.e. shepherds pie, fish pie, steak and onion pies, we make them ourselves from scratch, casseroles, we eat very little prossessed food, and when we go to Tescos we always check their scratch and dent, and have been able to get some beautiful Roast Beef, that just melts in the mouth when cooked. As I am overweight since giving up smoking, I am not buying sweet things and trying to eat more fruit, and already I am feeling more energetic, but I want to join a gym and try and get back into shape. We have a large chain store called B&M, they have taken over from woolworths, and I find them great for a lot of things, I bought a rollor blind for my front window, white with a scolloped edge ( i only rent so did'nt want to buy anything expensive) it is 6ft across, (so not a little window) it cost me £12.00, my daughter could not believe it. Our pound shops (called pound world) are great,pound shops used to be really cheap and nasty, these are great. Iwatched a financial program regarding this company, as they are one of the few doing really well, they were asked how can the sell for example a jar of nescafe coffee (lge) for £1, apparantely large companies phone them when an order has fallen through, they negotiate a price and the company gets the cost of producing the product and the pound shop can sell it on at a profit, so everyone wins. The quality of most of their stuff is really good, don't know if you have them in GB, but if you have you really need to check them out. My little granddaughter wanted a Baby alive boy doll, they are normally £35-39, I got one at £25 in B&M, and if I had waited until the week before xmas I could have gotten it for £20 What I am finding really expensive are the rentals, because of the housing situation, and people not being able to get mortqages it is nearly impossible to get a reasonable rental property, here in Belfast for a 3 bedroom semi, in a DECENT area not an upmarket, you will now pay £650-£800, it is driving me mad Estate agents, I am sorry I just can't stand their greed. :curse:
Yes I am quite concerned about the Belfast rents.......a decent one bedroom in a nice neighborhood is 600-750.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:30 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers

Interesting but I can't seem to find the way to compare the US to the UK. It only gives you the option of comparing the UK to the US with "If you lived in the US, you would...."
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:35 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Interesting but I can't seem to find the way to compare the US to the UK. It only gives you the option of comparing the UK to the US with "If you lived in the US, you would...."
.....you would "open Pandora's box."
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:37 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Yes Denise, you are having the same experience as I did, everything in the shops you want, just a matter of sourcing it, like Rodney with his hot sauces.

Yes there is B & M in GB, I got sooooo many bargains there, unbelievable!! I bought these sticker type things for the kids bedroom walls, French type decor, £1.99 each, I saw the same here in Australia the other week for $25.00!!!!

The BIG thing you need to do in the UK is shop around, bargains are all there for the asking!! It can become like a little hobby for some.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 20th 2011 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Here it is:

http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/GB

They use the same metrics for every country comparison, so the results don't change by switching it round.

I'm not surprised at most of that but the AIDS stats shocked me.

Edited to add: Australia fares very well against the US
http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/AU

Interesting that Canadians use more oil and electric - presume that's a climate issue?
http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/CA

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 20th 2011 at 7:09 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:07 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Here it is:
http://www.ifitweremyhome.com/compare/US/GB They use the same metrics for every country comparison, so the results don't change by switching it round.

Thank you Sally, I tried and tried but couldn't figure it out. It must know I'm on an American netbook. It's rather obvious however that the comparison is quite biased. In which direction, I will not say.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:14 pm
DDL

Another pet peeve is when I'm reading a book by a British author and a British character is speaking and the British usage--pillarbox, for example-- is changed to American even tho the character is meant to be British and would NEVER say "mailbox" or whatever....oh dear, I am on my hobbyhorse now, sorry, Rodney pressed a button there....!
If a British author chooses to use American terminology, that's his perogative.

Last edited by DDL; Jan 20th 2011 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Edited to remove my hasty comments. OP's remarks were not worth responding to.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Some British books don't get changed too much, but one I was reading was full of changes, including someone in London driving a 'Volvo station wagon' around the 'projects' - it made a rather bad book unreadable from my point of view.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes I am quite concerned about the Belfast rents.......a decent one bedroom in a nice neighborhood is 600-750.
Celticspirit, believe it or not many areas (not London)in GB are now cheaper than Belfast to rent. The agents have jumped on the band wagon and every month the rents are going up by approx £50, and they are rentingWe are moving back north and I can't get anything so far at my price (max £550 pcm) at a push maybe £600, and I am really having trouble. My sister has a holdiay home in Moville in Donegal and has said we can use that until we are fixed up, thank god for family If you are prepared to go outside the city ie Lisburn, Moira, Dromore, or on the other side, Glengormley, carrickfergus ect: you can get cheaper, but I wanted to stay close to my family and it is proving a real trial I will keep you informed. If you google houses to rent belfast, and go to propertynews, you will get a good idea of the prices and areas. Good luck Denise2
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes Denise, you are having the same experience as I did, everything in the shops you want, just a matter of sourcing it, like Rodney with his hot sauces.

Yes there is B & M in GB, I got sooooo many bargains there, unbelievable!! I bought these sticker type things for the kids bedroom walls, French type decor, £1.99 each, I saw the same here in Australia the other week for $25.00!!!!

The BIG think you need to do in the UK is shop around, bargains are all there for the asking!! It can become like a little hobby for some.
I love the shopping up North, do not like it here in Cork, and the xmas atmosphere here in cork was dismal compared to Belfast. My oh and I went to Belfast for 3 days I think it was around the 17th December, we went to a lovely restaurant overlooking our beautiful city hall, and it started to snow, it was really beautiful, as the continental market was in the grounds of the city hall and it was like a winter wonderland, the town was crowded with shoppers in to have a drink or a meal before heading home, the laughter is what struck me most, it was so real and genuine, and people seemed just so happy go lucky. We ended up going to a pub called Fibber MaGees, it was packed and the music was just fantastic, the old hand clapping irish music, that everyones knows and loves, it was great, here in Cork it was so deadso my OH and I decided to go north again....... Oh my!!!!: am I ever going to settle...... Please Please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.