Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123.........That was a lovely verse. Tonight when I take Gabby out in the cold and look up at the sky and the stars I will think about those words. Its cold and we are expecting another big snow storm so your words of inspiration come at a perfect time. No need to look back look to the future through the stars

People in the UK dont know how good they have it. Most have never been out of the country and just love to moan. I cannot tell you how many people ask me why am I coming home. I cant seem to make them understand. They seem to think everywhere else is paradise. They need to wake up. I had a friend who lived in Spain and moaned about having to go back to the UK when her husband got sick but she was very happy to get him healthcare.

I do think the law needs to change so they can get those people who love to sit on their backside and reap the benefit of other peoples hardwork are made to get a job. It takes away from those who really do need help.

I do fancy this coming Sundays dinner Rodney.
trotty, a place will be set for you at our table Its going to be great, and by the way dinner will be served at 2pm sharp!!! what will that make it over there in US I think you are from Maryland am I close? probably not, I get everyones location wrong
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I think two things affect peoples attitudes towards Britain and one is the newspapers writing such silly things as a big iceberg could come and destroy Birmingham. The the word 'could' is used. Another thing that effects peoples attitude is the weather. If it cloudy and cold it can damper peoples spirit.

I can imagine some people wont want to keep talking to you if you start to tell them how great living in Britain is.

This all amounts to thinking and talking positive which as you point out Rod isn't very hard to do now that your in England.

Who wrote "No mans knows (and appreciates) England from within unless he knows England from without"?
cheers that last line you wrote was good and kind of sums it all up dont it, I dont know who wrote it? but its good,
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wawa
I shall say (well, when I eventually get there)....Dont knock it until you have lived in Canada It was -18 on my way to work this morning. THAT would give 'em something to grumble about.

We are expecting between 20-30 cms of snow tomorrow.

Rod that was a lovely poem, thanks for sharing. I have saved it. How fitting to us all trying to get back home. Its all about accepting our past so we can move into our future.
Wawa, thats it, ---- Its all about accepting our past so we can move into our future,
The only way we can truly go home with an easy mind is not to have any regrets of Anything that we did or didn't do with our lives in our adopted country, lets be really honest with ourselves, if we had to do it all over again we would probably make the same choices, or simular,
I had shall I say an interesting life in America, Ive been happy for years, a lot of sad and lonely times too, a failed marriage like lots of us, Ive been with money and been without any lots of times, but America made me tough, and it built character,
Nope No regrets for me, left it all behind now, but of course the memories will always be there, ---- Oh all those memories
Rodney.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

“England is not the best possible world but it is the best actual country, and a great rest after America”
George Santayana
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

“The world still consists of two clearly divided groups: the English and the foreigners. One group consists of less than 50 million people; the other of 3,950 million. The latter group does not really count.”
George Mikes
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wawa
I have found that people are so busy here. They work hard, have their lives all sorted, their families around them and are happy with their lot. I have my office co-workers who are good fun, but it has taken a while to gain their trust as a newcomer. I cant quite put my finger on it as I have lived all over and never experienced this before. You can meet people you quite like and enjoy their company, but it never seems to go to that next level. As you say, its all on the surface and will never develop into that close, laugh-a-minute friendship.

30 years is a long time! How did you do it? I have been here for 5 and my bags are packed and sitting by the front door. They are invisible, only I can see them. They've been there for a while now You are so lucky that the tug to return home hit you both at the same time. There are more than a few people on these forums that are frustrated by husbands or wives happily plodding along with no real urge to return.
This is so true ,especially where we are .

Even though my Husband originally hails from here ,he still feels totally isolated and removed EVEN from his own family !

The friendships can be fickle sometimes , that is a depressing reality for us .

Again ,not all folk are this way ...but in my age group (the Moms etc ) it was already a closed door before I arrived .

I feel very lucky to be on the same page as my DH .
Old Feb 1st 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

“The world still consists of two clearly divided groups: the English and the foreigners. One group consists of less than 50 million people; the other of 3,950 million. The latter group does not really count.”
George Mikes
Have you read George Mikes books about his travels in the Caribbean? They are old, but funny. Don't remember the titles, but they were best sellers when I was about 19 yrs old and still living in Jamaica.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Well we've had our hopes raised again for nothing after what we thought was a promising viewing, never mind onwards and upwards. Here's a lovely verse:

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,

This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,

This other Eden, demi-paradise,

This fortress built by Nature for herself

Against infection and the hand of war,

This happy breed of men, this little world,

This precious stone set in the silver sea,

Which serves it in the office of a wall,

Or as a moat defensive to a house,

Against the envy of less happier lands,

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

From Richard II, Act 2 (Shakespeare)
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

“England is not the best possible world but it is the best actual country, and a great rest after America”
George Santayana
Cheers is that a verse from George or did you make that up yourself mate,

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 1st 2011 at 3:49 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Cheers is that a verse from George or did you make that up yourself mate,
George

I thought that summed up your feelings Rod

Last edited by cheers; Feb 1st 2011 at 4:13 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PAT M
Well we've had our hopes raised again for nothing after what we thought was a promising viewing, never mind onwards and upwards. Here's a lovely verse:

I think in the shakespeare era they must have smoked a lot of pot lol sorry about the house, oh well next time fingers crossed

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 1st 2011 at 4:04 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M

Awww sorry to hear that Pat. for the next one.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

George (I thought that summed up your feelings)
No cheers you completely got me wrong, I dont think that the UK is the best place in the world to live, the UK just like America has its flaws, but I love being home and I love my country, at my stage in life I would not like to live anywhere else thats all,
I know that Im here to stay, and Im aware that this is the final chapter of my life and I love it !!! and from now on Im going to make every minute of every day count,
And by the way there are over 6 billion people in the world today, China and India take up over one third of the worlds population.
Take care mate,
Rodney
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

George Mikes
Is this George Mikes saying that the rest of the world dont count?

Last edited by jasper123; Feb 1st 2011 at 4:32 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 5:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi Barb, just to inspire you regarding food, If you like cheese, Morrisons bake small crusty cobs, with Cheese baked onto them - superb when buttered, and slices of cucumber and tomato popped into them. dontheturner
Oh that sounds lovely Don. I am looking forward to the variety of supermarkets, I do like Morrisons. Here in Australia we only really have 2 main contenders Woolworths and Coles, with Aldi and IGA and a few little others........and YES I love cheese!!

What is your actual date of departure? Mine is Feb. 26th, only 24 sleeps to go.

And still no news on this job in London for me though I did hear yesterday, it "has progressed to the HR department" - how hard can it be? Yes or No............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.