Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by julierandall
I could not sleep - tho hubby snooring! We go to market in Southampton n get all our fruit n veg from (they say) local farmers - much cheaper! Roney lives about 30 miles from us - theink he should find a nearby market too! Ha

We are both still upset - not going to go into it again - but thanks to all who made such lovely comments.

Hubby not too happy but I am adjusting I think. TY all - sry still not quite used to this site and how it works.

Regards

Julie and hubby x
Yeah no what you mean about snoring, i used to have a wife who snored so loud every night, kept me awake so i got rid of her
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
Darn it - so sorry - that should have read Rodney - so very sorry Rodney my typing not as good as it should be for a damn 4 yr old!

And Rodney, if you ok me asking you, how is your sis? I read you living with your Mom - and that you have children - are they helping you and your sis? Now that you back in UK?

Kindest regards, Julie
No help from relatives, just me and mum together, but my Sister lives in Plymouth and she has cancer and the Doctors dont give her too long to live, its too far gone and theres nothing they can do to save her,
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
Thanks so much Rodney for your good wishes. You said it "new life" and that is exactly how it feels to me. I have been back in Vancouver for about 2 weeks and although I love this city I cannot wait to get back to the UK next week and the new life which is about to really commence now. I have never felt happier about a decision.
Have really enjoyed reading your posts and catching up a little when I have had some down time. So pleased that you are back with your Mum but really sorry to hear your sister is so sick.
I do feel sad at times that I was not able to return sooner while my Mum was still alive. She died suddenly aged 87 a few years back. I was back a couple of months prior when she was dancing at my niece's wedding.
I hear I have been missing some quite lovely weather back there. Oh well I'll soon be there and will have to get right into some gardening.
David do me a favour, my mum just asked me where in Devon did you buy your B&B i forgot so cant tell her, so could you please send me that picture of your property so i can show her, --- i do remember a while ago you did post the Picture and details,
Rodney.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thanks PistolPete. i shall check BA. Probably won't be until fall/winter 2011 or spring 2012 but it's a good price comparison right now.
Air Transat from Vancouver is operated by Thomas Cook also but no dogs, no how, no way. I phoned both Air Transat and Thomas Cook. I think from here into Gatwick is not a recognised route according to DEFRA. It is not on their list. It is always a Saturday flight so perhaps they have noone on the ground to process them.
Sorry that Air Transat doesn't work for you.

Note that it is HARD to find a decent one-way fare on BA but it can be done through a discount agent and if you plan well ahead.

You can, as your post first inquired, chuck away the back unused end on a really cheap SPECIAL return ticket if push comes to shove. I'm not sure what type of ticket would allow you to recoup taxes as I would have thought most airlines would sting you for fees on the change from return to single to eliminate any refund, period. However if it's that cheap it's not a really big deal.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Thank you for the photos. Unfortunate about all the graffiti.
I see an ordinance is needed to prohibit vehicles beyond a certain width from entering the town.
There IS an ordinance - this guy took the wrong turn, as there is a through road for him to have used.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I was doing some comparing of living costs between the UK and where I'm living in the US. The UK costs were submitted by Dunrovin. It is interesting how they compare and they are not scientific.

Food £300uk / £129us

[/SIZE]
Are we able to quantify WHERE the big price discrepancies are between grocery shopping in the UK and the US?

In recent discussions that I have had with a sister who lives in London I was staggered by her grocery bill when she shops at mostly Sainsbury's and Waitrose.

An exercise that I typically have when in the UK is trawling the supermarket aisles checking on my staples here in St Lucia to see what a wrench it would be to return there. Supermarkets package things there in such a way that you think you are getting far more than you actually are and the price per kilo can be eye-watering (typically 10 pounds per kilo for veg, meat and fish items).

What this suggests is that supermarket pricing levels make things almost impossible for the average Joe and there are fortunately other venues for grocery shopping in the UK which can save you a lot of money, some of which are also available in certain places in the US, such as farmer's markets, fresh fish wholesale/retail outlets, Saturday markets and small (green)grocery and butchery stores with pricing packages. The major supermarkets should only be for milk, cereal, beer and wine, ready-prepared meals WHEN ON SPECIAL, and stop-gap stuff when the good alternatives are not open and available.

I have a son who lives in the Byres Road area of Glasgow. There they have a bi-weekly farmers market with specials on meat, fish and charcuterie*. Also, enterprising grocers and butchers offer bundled pricing on what would be a typical week's supply of greens/fruit and meats. These sorts of deals make it possible for students to survive on their very limited budgets. As you can imagine, the 300 pounds in the Uk is simply not doable for them.

*In Edinburgh and Glasgow, French suppliers who cruise the UK farmer's market scene offer large scale markets covering cheese, charcuterie (smoked sausage/pate etc.), and certain meats and at reasonable prices.

I have factored this critical area of grocery pricing into my calculations and plans for when I intend to spend a much bigger chunk of my time in the UK in three to four years from now and plan to live in the Canterbury area where they have a DAILY farmer's market, a Sainsbury's when I need it and access to cheap fruit on Saturday's in the main market. Plus a big reasonable source for fresh fish in Whitstable six days a week. In Canterbury, transport links mean there is also no real need to own a car and there are cycle routes that avoid all traffic.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 5th 2011 at 11:26 am.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
good job cheers, just one point i would like to ask you about though,
Food UK £300? how many people? if its suposed to be based on two people for the month --- well me and Mum spent £159 in January and £160 in February between us for two people, and we lived really well, but we do shop around a lot, and thats what you got to do in U.K.
Maybe dunroving and her husband have expensive habits,

My understanding is dunroving is a bachelor, so this would be for one person. I will let him explain where he got the number from.

It is interesting as how the expenses come out about the same. Again this is not scientific.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

70p for one tomatoe? i think we pay that for a pack of (4)
Yes I still haven't got over that one.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
Well we are using Tippet-Richardson. Today 73 boxes and 13 other pieces including 3 small chairs, a coffee table and another table were picked up. We packed the 73 boxes ourselves and for that reason insurance would not cover breakage. The furniture they wrapped so is covered.

They are going as part of a shared 40 ft.container and should be on their way by the end of the month. I am told it will be between 6-8 weeks but heard from some else that it only took 3 weeks. We will have to wait and see.
Our original quote was for $3245.00 based on 230 cft. I will know tomorrow the exact weight and costing and will let you know. They are extremely professional and have been there to answer our questions throughout the process. I cannot believe we had this much after being quite brutal in getting rid of so much.
David can we have an update on this?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete, did you post about your situation and how you ended up in St Lucia?
I just looked it up so I know were it is. I'm not big on the Caribbean. A fellow worker who was an Afro American told me he didn't like to take cruises there because it bothered him to see the poverty that exist along side the wealth. I think it would bother me also.

Just saying.

Cheers
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

David do me a favour, my mum just asked me where in Devon did you buy your B&B i forgot so cant tell her, so could you please send me that picture of your property so i can show her, --- i do remember a while ago you did post the Picture and details,
Rodney.
Hi Rod, here you go...its lovely....I want one

Its in Brixton, this is the link to the thread, just click on the rightmove link for the pictures....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...de#post9096374
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

good job cheers, just one point i would like to ask you about though,
Food UK £300? how many people? if its suposed to be based on two people for the month --- well me and Mum spent £159 in January and £160 in February between us for two people, and we lived really well, but we do shop around a lot, and thats what you got to do in U.K.
Maybe dunroving and her husband have expensive habits,
Dunroving is a man (see symbol next to username) and his dog (see photo next to username) and no, we are far from having expensive habits as many of my recent posts have indicated. My grocery costs include anything you might expect to buy at Tesco's or Asda, not just food. Maybe Glasgow is just expensive, I don't know.

Many people don't really have a firm idea of how much they spend on what. I buy all groceries with a Visa card and record every penny I spend on Quicken, so my numbers are an accurate estimation averaged over 2010. Don't know what else to tell you.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
An open question: In my limited research it seems that one-way tickets on airlines are about 3x as much as round-trip. Do people go home on a round-trip ticket and just not come back?
Yes Virgins one way was double the round trip price go figure --- so me like most people just buy a round trip ticket and of course just dont come back, no brainer.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Are we able to quantify WHERE the big price discrepancies are between grocery shopping in the UK and the US?
I didn't find any when I was there. I don't buy meat, so I can't say about that but prices in the Lake District were about the same as prices in New York as far as I could tell. Some things were dearer and some were cheaper and it evened out overall.

But like we keep saying, you can't think of the US as one country for the purposes of price comparisons. It's so different depending on where you are.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:56 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, so good to hear your update. That flight sounds terrible so yes, give yourself time to recover.

The best part about your update was hearing about the change in your sister. Sounds like she really needed you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.