Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh that sounds lovely Don. I am looking forward to the variety of supermarkets, I do like Morrisons. Here in Australia we only really have 2 main contenders Woolworths and Coles, with Aldi and IGA and a few little others........and YES I love cheese!!

What is your actual date of departure? Mine is Feb. 26th, only 24 sleeps to go.

And still no news on this job in London for me though I did hear yesterday, it "has progressed to the HR department" - how hard can it be? Yes or No............

According to my calender he arrives on Feb 21. TIFT.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

just a quick check in from me.......snowed in in NH!!!!!!! cant take anymore.......we will have about another 2 foot after this one moves out late tomorrow.

heard from DDL today she got a job! and is very happy. Rodney so happy to read your posts, thanks for the excess baggage prices, I was thinking was it all suitcases or were any boxes.
How are you feet, sorry did I miss a reply.
Barb 24 sleeps OMG!!!!!!!
Rosie I hope your brother is okay...( in aus near cyclone)
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:17 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
just a quick check in from me.......snowed in in NH!!!!!!! cant take anymore.......we will have about another 2 foot after this one moves out late tomorrow.
I know what you mean. It just keeps snowing on top of the snow that's already piled up. Tonight we're getting ice storms just top top it all off.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl

heard from DDL today she got a job! and is very happy. Rodney so happy to read your posts, thanks for the excess baggage prices, I was thinking was it all suitcases or were any boxes.
How are you feet, sorry did I miss a reply.
Barb 24 sleeps OMG!!!!!!!
Rosie I hope your brother is okay...( in aus near cyclone)
Thanks for the kind words. Here is the satellite image - it is HUGE.
http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00035.latest.shtml
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Good grief - that is beyond huge - I really hope your brother is in a safe place somewhere as there is no-way I would like to be in the path of that thing!!
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Good Lord, the at the extent of that!!!! If that doesn't prove that we are all at the mercy of Mother Nature nothing ever will. And just after all that flooding too; my thoughts and prays go out to all affected by this.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 10:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my it is huge, I hope everyone stays safe. I was just reading about the evacuations on the BBC.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm one of those "lurkers" you all have mentioned from time to time in the past and have taken great interest in this thread in the past few weeks. I would like to say a big "thank you" to all of you for sharing your thoughts, aspirations and experiences - I have a big journey of my own coming up very shortly and I have to say you have provided great reassurance to me at a time when it would be all too easy to become overwhelmed by this monumental life changing decision I have made to return to England. I hope you won't mind me telling you a little about myself...

I'm a single (never married) woman in my early 50's who came to Canada with my parents from South Shields, England nearly 45 years ago. I've lived in different parts of Canada in both large cities (Calgary and Toronto) and in remote northern Ontario. I've always felt very English and yes, Geordie despite being so young when I arrived here and over the years I've come to realize that I never really felt as though I fit in here. Looking back, since coming to Canada I've always been something of a loner. I've toyed with the idea of returning to my roots over the years but last year after my life took an unanticipated twist I made the decision to take the plunge. I wondered if I was crazy for even contemplating this move but after discovering this site a few months back I was amazed to discover there were so many people like myself, who left as children, migrating back to where it all began. Last October I returned home for a visit to see what it was like after all this time - 33 years after my last visit and I wasn't sure what to expect. By the time I returned to Canada my mind was made up and two months from today I will land on British soil for good. I am fortunate in that there will be someone waiting for me there - a wonderful man I met when we were both children in our first class at infant's school. We will be living in the south of England (Kent) and I can't wait to get on that plane!

Well, that's enough rambling from me, just let me say thanks again for sharing your own stories and I hope in turn I can be of some assistance to others who are contemplating an exciting new beginning of their own! I wish you all the very best in your own new lives.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Curleytops...Congratulations you made your decision and did what was best for you. Glad you came in and visited please keep in touch with us. Your still very young and have your whole life ahead of you. Two months will fly past. Have you done all your packing and sorting. Thats a chore on its own. I am still going through cupboards and finding things I need to get rid of.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh that sounds lovely Don. I am looking forward to the variety of supermarkets, I do like Morrisons. Here in Australia we only really have 2 main contenders Woolworths and Coles, with Aldi and IGA and a few little others........and YES I love cheese!!
What is your actual date of departure? Mine is Feb. 26th, only 24 sleeps to go.
And still no news on this job in London for me though I did hear yesterday, it "has progressed to the HR department" - how hard can it be? Yes or No............
Love you Barb, thanks - Hope the HR department, make the right decision! We leave Ubonratchathani Airport, on Air Asia Flight, at 9.45am on the 20th Feb, and arrive at Bangkok Main Airport (there are two) 10.50am, We then wait for the Eldest Daughter & Her husband (Our SIL) to arrive in Our Pickup with our Luggage - we shall have a meal with them and other family members, and leave Bangkok on BA10 at just turned midnight 0010 hours, then alter watches, back 7 hours, and arrive Heathrow at 5.45 am on the 21st. My daughter has booked Chaffeur driven Car to be there for us.-We should be up in Wellington Shropshire by about Noon, all being well & with the help of the Good Lord Take Care dontheturner. xx
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Curleytops, welcome, and what a lovely story! With a wonderful ending......
I left Newcastle-on-Tyne when I was 7....I have been out of the country for 48 years and planning to go back in two years, or sooner if I can get the hubby off his ass. My parents were devout Geordies, and I have a great accent too, just in case I ever need it.

Looking forward to your posts as we help you with the 'count down'
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Oh my it is huge, I hope everyone stays safe. I was just reading about the evacuations on the BBC.
I also have two cousins, their husbands and children living in Townsville.
I have emailed and FB'd hem but no response. I hope they are busy evacuating.
Today in Dallas our high was 19F. We had freezing rain overnight and snow on top this morning. Our low tonight will be 9F. It is treacherous outside.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wawa
30 years is a long time! How did you do it? I have been here for 5 and my bags are packed and sitting by the front door. They are invisible, only I can see them. They've been there for a while now You are so lucky that the tug to return home hit you both at the same time. There are more than a few people on these forums that are frustrated by husbands or wives happily plodding along with no real urge to return.
We were really happy most of the time and have only started finding it more difficult since we retired. Now that we have more free time, we feel that we would really enjoy seeing all those lovely places in England that are on the doorstep, instead of having to drive so far, or get on a plane. Also winter is much easier to handle when you are working full time, and we don't want to live in a cold climate with snow and ice when we are older. We also miss the english sense of humour and just want to be with people who understand what we're talking about without constant clarification, you know what I mean I do hope your husband comes around for you, that must be so difficult (especially the not nagging bit).
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by curleytops
Last October I returned home for a visit to see what it was like after all this time - 33 years after my last visit and I wasn't sure what to expect. By the time I returned to Canada my mind was made up and two months from today I will land on British soil for good. I am fortunate in that there will be someone waiting for me there - a wonderful man I met when we were both children in our first class at infant's school. We will be living in the south of England (Kent) and I can't wait to get on that plane!

Well, that's enough rambling from me, just let me say thanks again for sharing your own stories and I hope in turn I can be of some assistance to others who are contemplating an exciting new beginning of their own! I wish you all the very best in your own new lives.
Welcome curleytops. Wow, that's amazing to go back for the first time in 33 years and then decide to move back. I've been away for 30 years, but have been back many many times in the meantime. You must have noticed so many differences. We've actually noticed more differences in the last 5 years than the years before, not sure if that was just our perception, or has anyone else noticed that?

Anyway, looking forward to sharing your move back with you
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wawa
Curleytops, welcome, and what a lovely story! With a wonderful ending......
I left Newcastle-on-Tyne when I was 7....I have been out of the country for 48 years and planning to go back in two years, or sooner if I can get the hubby off his ass. My parents were devout Geordies, and I have a great accent too, just in case I ever need it.

Looking forward to your posts as we help you with the 'count down'
Wawa, I didn't realize you had only lived there until you were 7, that's amazing that you have such a strong desire to go back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.