Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Hi Trottytrue - thanks for the kind words - must confess I've not even started packing yet though I've pretty much resigned myself to 2 suitcases and a wheelybag for my laptop as shipping from this part of Canada is mega pricey! I'll have a big clearout in coming weeks and set aside some things that can follow with Dad or Sis when they visit. I hate parting with some of it but in the end like many have said, it's only "stuff". Hope things work out & you can get your own departure plan put into action very soon!

and Wawa....wow another Geordie! Hope you can get your hubby to see "sense" (lol) very soon, will you be returning to the 'toon or other parts? I have a cousin in BC who's in same boat as you, wants to go home but hubby tried UK, couldn't settle & now she's back over here - she'd be gone to Tyneside in a flash if it were up to her. Glad to hear you managed to keep the accent as well...I'm looking forward to whipping mine out of me back pocket for keeps very soon. I'm for you that you can get the other half talked round very soon
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Welcome curleytops. Wow, that's amazing to go back for the first time in 33 years and then decide to move back. I've been away for 30 years, but have been back many many times in the meantime. You must have noticed so many differences. We've actually noticed more differences in the last 5 years than the years before, not sure if that was just our perception, or has anyone else noticed that?

Anyway, looking forward to sharing your move back with you
Thanks SomersetGirl, there were many changes & not all for the good but so many things looked just as remembered. It felt so strange to be walking around my old neighbourhood after so many years and feeling like I'd always belonged there; that I'd just been gone for awhile was all. My Dad had a similar experience to yours, he was going back every year for awhile and said for years things never changed then all of a sudden there were all sorts of changes.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:47 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

curleytops, how fantastic that you are still close to your old friend from infant's school. That sounds like a very romantic story!

I found England had changed quite a bit when I went back on holiday last year, but had also stayed just the same. And I thought almost all the changes were for the better ... especially the new multiculturalism, which I know some Brits resist but which I think is fabulous. Especially because it's made the food so much better
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Especially because it's made the food so much better
Hasn't it though
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
curleytops, how fantastic that you are still close to your old friend from infant's school. That sounds like a very romantic story!

I found England had changed quite a bit when I went back on holiday last year, but had also stayed just the same. And I thought almost all the changes were for the better ... especially the new multiculturalism, which I know some Brits resist but which I think is fabulous. Especially because it's made the food so much better
Oh Sally, I think we're all agreed that the selection of food in the UK is absolutely awesome! I still haven't stopped yacking about it since I came back to Canada. Not sure what I'll be trying first but I suspect it'll be some good old fashioned fish & chips with lots of malt vinegar :P
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Wawa, I didn't realize you had only lived there until you were 7, that's amazing that you have such a strong desire to go back.
Have always had a close relationship with family in UK and have been back quite often. I have old friends all over the UK. That makes a huge difference, I think.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by curleytops
and Wawa....wow another Geordie! Hope you can get your hubby to see "sense" (lol) very soon, will you be returning to the 'toon or other parts? I have a cousin in BC who's in same boat as you, wants to go home but hubby tried UK, couldn't settle & now she's back over here - she'd be gone to Tyneside in a flash if it were up to her. Glad to hear you managed to keep the accent as well...I'm looking forward to whipping mine out of me back pocket for keeps very soon. I'm for you that you can get the other half talked round very soon
I have him (mostly) convinced - without too much pleading, tears and foot stamping but I just have to be careful he doesnt back-pedal. Hate when they do that He loves the UK its just the upheaval of the move and the unknown. I dont mind it, I have done it so many times in my life and I am far more positive in my outlook than he is.

Pretty much keep my accent tucked away too, bring it out on occasion to polish it up. I have a feeling we might end up near Manchester. Depending on jobs etc.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wawa
I have him (mostly) convinced - without too much pleading, tears and foot stamping but I just have to be careful he doesnt back-pedal. Hate when they do that He loves the UK its just the upheaval of the move and the unknown. I dont mind it, I have done it so many times in my life and I am far more positive in my outlook than he is.

Pretty much keep my accent tucked away too, bring it out on occasion to polish it up. I have a feeling we might end up near Manchester. Depending on jobs etc.
I guess you just have to find ways to simplify an upcoming move ie reducing clutter gradually etc. The least amount of upheaval is good for him I guess and if there are promising job prospects that could make all the difference. Keep up the "polishing" - I thought I was good but got comments about my "Canadian twang" while I was over there last year....I must be slipping lol
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm one of those "lurkers" you all have mentioned from time to time in the past and have taken great interest in this thread in the past few weeks. I would like to say a big "thank you" to all of you for sharing your thoughts, aspirations and experiences - I have a big journey of my own coming up very shortly and I have to say you have provided great reassurance to me at a time when it would be all too easy to become overwhelmed by this monumental life changing decision I have made to return to England. I hope you won't mind me telling you a little about myself...

I'm a single (never married) woman in my early 50's who came to Canada with my parents from South Shields, England nearly 45 years ago. I've lived in different parts of Canada in both large cities (Calgary and Toronto) and in remote northern Ontario. I've always felt very English and yes, Geordie despite being so young when I arrived here and over the years I've come to realize that I never really felt as though I fit in here. Looking back, since coming to Canada I've always been something of a loner. I've toyed with the idea of returning to my roots over the years but last year after my life took an unanticipated twist I made the decision to take the plunge. I wondered if I was crazy for even contemplating this move but after discovering this site a few months back I was amazed to discover there were so many people like myself, who left as children, migrating back to where it all began. Last October I returned home for a visit to see what it was like after all this time - 33 years after my last visit and I wasn't sure what to expect. By the time I returned to Canada my mind was made up and two months from today I will land on British soil for good. I am fortunate in that there will be someone waiting for me there - a wonderful man I met when we were both children in our first class at infant's school. We will be living in the south of England (Kent) and I can't wait to get on that plane!

Well, that's enough rambling from me, just let me say thanks again for sharing your own stories and I hope in turn I can be of some assistance to others who are contemplating an exciting new beginning of their own! I wish you all the very best in your own new lives.
Welcome curlytops. How lovely that your plans are in place and you are heading back soon. It is a lovely story.
I have been in the USA for 38+ years from Belfast.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Welcome curlytops. How lovely that your plans are in place and you are heading back soon. It is a lovely story.
I have been in the USA for 38+ years from Belfast.
Thanks CelticSpirit, how are things down in Texas? Do you visit Ireland often?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Trottytrue - thanks for the kind words - must confess I've not even started packing yet though I've pretty much resigned myself to 2 suitcases and a wheelybag for my laptop as shipping from this part of Canada is mega pricey! I'll have a big clearout in coming weeks and set aside some things that can follow with Dad or Sis when they visit. I hate parting with some of it but in the end like many have said, it's only "stuff". Hope things work out & you can get your own departure plan put into action very soon!

Good Morning Curlytops, Yes, there are many of us who were taken to another country by our parents. For me I returned home 17 months ago after being away for 45 years. Although I still have a husband, kids and grandkids over there, this is home. I came with two suitcases a back pack and a laptop, do have some stuff that hubby will send or bring over when he comes. Good Luck and welcome to the thread
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning, Well husband is getting ready for the storm to hit on the Island also, they will probable loose power as they usually do. We are lucky we have a generator that he can switch over to that will run certain items in our home, also have wood stove for heat, just have to make sure he has water.
Last night fell asleep on train, good thing Ayr is the end of the line or I would be still going round and round. When you are on the trains here they always say that this train will terminate at Ayr etc. I always think of the movie, Logans Run, don't know why, just think it is a funny thing to say
Wee Mac is doing well with the new dog walker and she has fallen in love with him. I am going to try to take some pictures of him this weekend and put one or two on thread.
Don, hope you and Tim have a good flight back. Barb, not long now, doesn't it drive you crazy how long it takes for company to make the smallest decision. Denise how great is that you got a job, congratulations. Everyone else take care, stay safe if you are in the storms location.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning, Well husband is getting ready decision. Denise how great is that you got a job, congratulations. Everyone else take care, stay safe if you are in the storms location.
Hello Peigi, and thanks for remembering - won't be long now, we are over the moon with Christine's efforts for us - she can look forward to being hugged to death! - and Tim cannot wait to give her, the first of many massages - ( she has never had one) good luck, as you go along life's path, and wait for hubby. love you - take care dontheturner xxx
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:47 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Curley Tops, what a wonderful story, thank you for sharing, oh and you must tell us more about your infant school romance LOL!!

Dontheturner, not long now, Gawd this waiting is the pits!!

Peigi/ED you are so right, these big corporations take so long, don't they know this is my life LOL!!

Charleygirl/TT/SallySimmons - saw the BIG snowstorms you have over there on the telly tonight, that is TOO much snow LOL!!

Wawa!!
I didn't realise that you were a child migrant too like Peigi, some things never leave us..........

Rosie/Islandwoman and Celticspirit Hope your family and friends will all be OK, My God this is one hell of a cyclone coming to Queensland.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie/Islandwoman and Celticspirit Hope your family and friends will all be OK, My God this is one hell of a cyclone coming to Queensland.[/QUOTE]

Update from Queensland: my brother is emailing as fast and furious as he can as Cairns is predicted to cut the power off before the major winds hit the power lines. Nine hours ago the winds were at Category 2, now they are up to 100Kmph as he says in this excerpt: its blowing 100+K winds outside mainly from due South not much rain yet but that is on the way as this cyclone looks to be in bands so we get a break every so often...the back yard is littered with bits of trees from the next door neighbour...the wind sounds like a freight train as it blows its way up thru all the other trees from houses away.
We are in the pink and pale red cyclone zone as per the tracking map.----------------->>> http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml
Well that's it for now....see you after the show...

Celticspirit - I am sure we are united in thought at the moment. I will tune in later in the day.. gone for now. Rosie in rainy, safe Frome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.