Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 13th 2011, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think my Dh fancies himself with an OAP bus pass, but he's not old enough Our went up religiously each year, it made me crazy.
We added Ds#1 when he got his license and it went up $200 for 6 months, then we took him off when he moved to UK and it went down $50 Then we added Ds#2 as he passed his test and it went up another $200 for 6 months. they couldn't/wouldn't just switch it from one son to the other.
Then this summer it went up $600 a year, for no reason, no explanation, no accidents or claims ever! So we moved and we are saving $1300 a year over the new price, I even called and they didn't seem to care we moved, this is the agent we've been with 18 years, a friend of Dh from high school. So Dh was disgusted, he is now convinced he really does have no friends here at all.
I have read that the bus companies or the local councils are discontinuing the free senior bus passes. Don't take my word for it.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cheers
I have read that the bus companies or the local councils are discontinuing the free senior bus passes. Don't take my word for it.
All Councils - irrespective of political leanings, will now gradually abandon them, simply because the party who introduced them are no longer in power, and the present lot, will raise no objection. We have also heard there is a proposal to stop diabetics from driving. sad times. Don
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:39 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
All Councils - irrespective of political leanings, will now gradually abandon them, simply because the party who introduced them are no longer in power, and the present lot, will raise no objection. We have also heard there is a proposal to stop diabetics from driving. sad times. Don
Blame us baby boomers Don! There are so many of us, the whole bus would be full up with nonpaying boomers!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I have heard this from my Mum too (70)

That will make her even more isolated ....
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mallory
Blame us baby boomers Don! There are so many of us, the whole bus would be full up with nonpaying boomers!
Come on! If we don't ride them, then they will stop running altogether! Don
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.blog.freebustravel.co.uk/?p=4444

The end of free travel I think applies to traveling on coaches as against buses.

It goes into effect next month, October.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:24 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Come on! If we don't ride them, then they will stop running altogether! Don
I think it will start to be means tested at some point.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 6:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If they means test it, a bus pass bought weekly or monthly is still cheaper than owning a car isn't it?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If they means test it, a bus pass bought weekly or monthly is still cheaper than owning a car isn't it?
First off I am with you.

Now, remember being out in the cold dark winters night with the rain coming down and the cold wind blowing and you are at the bus stop and waiting for the bus? Got the picture?

I use to have a routine of going to work in the office and being there at 9:30am and then off work at 5:30pm and then run for the bus and I stayed home for the rest of the evening so it was no big deal of the inconvenience of not having a car. Oh and it was so nice to be home by the roaring coal fire and listening to Mantovani and orchestra on the records. See what I gave up to come to the promised land. ( hang on I've got to get my Kleenex out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDmmwMnUYU

Cheers
Old Sep 13th 2011, 8:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

First off I am with you.

Now, remember being out in the cold dark winters night with the rain coming down and the cold wind blowing and you are at the bus stop and waiting for the bus? Got the picture?

I use to have a routine of going to work in the office and being there at 9:30am and then off work at 5:30pm and then run for the bus and I stayed home for the rest of the evening so it was no big deal of the inconvenience of not having a car. Oh and it was so nice to be home by the roaring coal fire and listening to Mantovani and orchestra on the records. See what I gave up to come to the promised land. ( hang on I've got to get my Kleenex out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDmmwMnUYU

Cheers
Yes I remember running for it in the rain and dark trying to get to the bus shelter before I was soaked.
Don't forget when we move back it will be sunny and dry and summer all year round
I doubt I'll live as close to the bus stop this time, we had a huge stone shelter with windows and a solid roof. So maybe one little car will be the way to go. Dh can have a monthly bus pass and I take the car.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote] Got my little renault clio, insurance was quite high I guess 500 quid a year fully comp., would be interested to see what others had to pay when they first got back.
Originally Posted by J.J
For our nearly new VW Polo, one driver, full comp it was £600 last year, now £300 this year.

2007 Renault Megane, 2 drivers

Fully comp last year when we moved back was £500 with DirectLine.

We've just changed to LV (Liverpool Victoria): £330.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:59 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by jasper123
Strange isn't it that in the U.S. the auto insurance companies dont give a no claims bonus no matter how many years you have been with them.....

I was with State Farm for years and always received an 'Accident Free' discount.
They also had:
  • Multiple Vehicle Discount
  • Multiple Line Discount
  • New Vehicle Safety Discount
  • Anti-Theft Device Discount
  • Defensive Driving Discount
  • Good Driving Discount
  • Good Student Discount
  • Driver Training Discount
  • Steer Clear® Safe Driver Discount
  • Drive Safe & Save™ Discount
I'm not sure UK car insurance companies offer the same wide variety of discounts like the above?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:08 pm
DDL

I ride the bus to work every morning. The bus stop is very close to my house, but I must admit that sometimes it's a pain, especially when it's throwing it down. Also, my stop is not a timed stop so I have to be there 'early' because you never know exactly when the bus will arrive. Some mornings it's early, some mornings it's late - and on 3 occasions over the past 4 months it never came at all!

Still ....a 10-minute ride and £1.80 (single) to work every day. Ya just can't beat it.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.blog.freebustravel.co.uk/?p=4444

The end of free travel I think applies to traveling on coaches as against buses.

It goes into effect next month, October.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
This is correct. And it's not the end to free travel, but the end to concessions.

The tabloids and usual media suspects are stirring up fears and frightening old people over something that's just not true.

The Tories are taking away funding they used to provide coach companies such as National Express. National Express used to pass this funding on to elderly and disabled passengers as a price concession. The govt wants them to fund the concession themselves but who knows if they will.

This has absolutely nothing to do with bus passes for regular travel.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by DDL
I ride the bus to work every morning. The bus stop is very close to my house, but I must admit that sometimes it's a pain, especially when it's throwing it down. Also, my stop is not a timed stop so I have to be there 'early' because you never know exactly when the bus will arrive. Some mornings it's early, some mornings it's late - and on 3 occasions over the past 4 months it never came at all!

Still ....a 10-minute ride and £1.80 (single) to work every day. Ya just can't beat it.
Your right, it'd cost more than that in gas and parking. Do they still do return tickets for less?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.