Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:50 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Oh yes for sure! I flew back on 31st August and I'm deliberately slowly going through the UK editions of "Good Housekeeping" (so different and so much better than the American counterpart) and "Marie Claire"...plus "Hello" magazine which I picked up from the Virgin Atlantic lounge
Also a big difference is the magazines are slightly larger in size in the UK....and many of the UK monthly magazines have free samples attached to the cover, typically something like hand cream, nail varnish, moisturizer, a shopping bag or CD. The American versions *never* have giveaways... I have definitely seen and purchased British magazines at the larger Hudson news stores in Penn Station, NYC eg. "House Beautiful" "Country Living" and from time to time the UK "Good Housekeeping" and "Hello" (especially the one near the main exit opposite the Pennsylvania Hotel on 7th Ave. I daresay they can be found at Grand Central Station too...and cost little more than they do in the UK - but sadly with no freebies.

I've always LOVED magazines. I like the ones in the UK and I like the ones in America.

I've always been very curious, though, as to exactly why so many UK magazines (adult and children's magazines) have those free premiums attached to them. There has to be a logical reason - it can't be that they are just trying to be nice.

I have a friend in California who was the editor of her own tea magazine once. Maybe she'd know but if not, I think I'll drop Rachel Johnson an email. I bet she'd know the answer!

My favourite UK magazines are:

The Lady
English Home
BBC Homes and Antiques
Britain
Time Out
Majesty
Hello!
THE (work-related)

Last edited by DDL; Sep 14th 2011 at 8:55 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:53 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Or if you are trying to lose weight by not eating McVitie's chocolate digestive biscuits you can buy one in the pound shops, just unclip it off the keyring and voila!!

Ah ha! Learned something new. I didn't know that Barb. Have never seen them in the pound shop but then again I suppose I've never really looked. Coolio. (But, come one, be honest - the McVitie's way is much more fun.)
Old Sep 14th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Ah ha! Learned something new. I didn't know that Barb. Have never seen them in the pound shop but then again I suppose I've never really looked. Coolio. (But, come one, be honest - the McVitie's way is much more fun.)
What can stop you from getting a pound coin when you return the card?

Now Bee I could help you out by taking those McVitie Chocolate Digestive Biscuits so as you don't put on extra pounds.

Cheers
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:06 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by cheers
What can stop you from getting a pound coin when you return the card?
Do you mean when you return the cart?

All the trolleys are chained together. (see photo) You pop the coin into the slot in order to unlock it from the trolley it's connected to. Whilst you do your shopping, the coin stays in the slot (you can't pull it out). When you're finished, you return the trolley to the stand and re-hook it, at which point the coin pops back out so you can retrieve it.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-trolley.jpg  
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Do you mean when you return the cart?

All the trolleys are chained together. (see photo) You pop the coin into the slot in order to unlock it from the trolley it's connected to. Whilst you do your shopping, the coin stays in the slot (you can't pull it out). When you're finished, you return the trolley to the stand and re-hook it, at which point the coin pops back out so you can retrieve it.
Don't spend anytime on this but it seems you may return the cart to a different position in which case you might get a pound coin or a slug(McVitie type)

UNLESS.....that contraption stays on the cart?
Old Sep 14th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Don they have been revived in the last couple of years.
cheers thanks for the mantovani clips, I forgot how lovely the music was from his orchestra,
Old Sep 14th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
I hear you Rodders, just saying that I had a brand new Saturn Vue SUV and hubby had an older Jag XJ and, truly, our insurance premiums were very, very reasonable in the States via State Farm. Our premiums only ever fluctuated a few dollars (literally) at a time (sometimes up, sometimes down) per every 6 month premium period. Maybe we were just lucky.
Hi Denise, no you were not just lucky you were just living in the right State and City, its all about location, I was told by my Insurance co, that Las Vegas just happened to be the third highest city in the U.S. for auto premiums in general, ---- in Reno my same car with same full comp cover for me would be only $75 per month instead of my $139 in Vegas,

I like it when you tell us what you did on your days off with tony ---- you know your days out to all the many places you go to, its lovely to hear what you do and see, and it makes me feel really good when things seem to be working out for a lot of us that have already made it to the other side of the pond ---- like Barb, she seems to be settling in nicely, and charleygirl, look at her shes just taking one day at a time and still having fun too, and just waiting for her Son to move in with her and then her daughters coming over for holiday, and Sally just went back after a nice break in England, and so many stories from so many people, and you and your hubby doing so well, and easterndawn in Scotland what an inspiration she is,
and me too loving every waking hour at home with my Mum, I made a nice pheasant stew today with lots of spuds and carrots and leeks and guess what I found in the co-op ---- Collard greens, cut them up and they went in the pot too, black pepper, hot sauce, other seasonings and garlic Hmmmmm we both loved it I cooked it all real slow for 3 hours, just like you would slow cook say ham hocks & black eyed peas & collard greens in a big pot, I cooked that now and again in the States and it was soooo tasty, with the corn bread of course, Oh the collard greens are called British spring greens over here,
So as you probably gathered I do (all) the cooking and washing up, I think my Mum loves it too ha ha ha bless her heart, I just think she deserves a break at 92, after all she cooked for me and family for years when I was a kid,
Way back in the 70,s when I was living in Reno I was cooking for 5 years there as a restaurant cook, so I am quite a good cook even if I do say so myself Mum thinks so too
Take care me dear,
Rodney.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

A look at Rodney's Plymouth on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCcWGxUnms
Old Sep 15th 2011, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

A look at Rodney's Plymouth on video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCcWGxUnms
how did you come to choose this clip?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
how did you come to choose this clip?
Random while looking for videos of Rodneys home of Portsmouth.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

PPS: I also wonder if the premiums are so high in the US because medical costs are so much higher than anywhere else? I know that in the UK the NHS can charge for motor vehicle accidents but I wonder if they actually do charge insurance companies in practice? In any case it would still be inexpensive compared to hospital/medical costs for injuries caused by car accidents in the USA.
You are Exactly Right, its one of the reasons I moan about our Healthcare Insurance costs, Medical insurance is a big part of the car insurance premiums, look how much it costs to fix a car, now look how much it costs for doctors bills, there's your answer...
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:46 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Just a little update on where we are with our big adventure. I'm sitting on the floor with my iPad wondering what on earth I'm doing at this stage of life and living like 'hippies' for the next 7 weeks! We have booked our plane tickets for 2 nd November so it is really happening now. TT, I have thought of you so much during this time. Somedays, I feel so tired just from the emotional perspective and yet the anticipation of what is ahead keeps me buoyant. I still think about the family here and we are making the most of these weeks. I'm starting to realize the benefits that 'a little space' could bring I love reading all the news from those who have settled in so well and are happy. Quoll, what an exciting time you are having 'back home'. I'm looking forward to our cuppa when you get back to Canberra (but don't think about that just yet). Easterdawn it was lovely to hear from you in the highlands. My sister lives in Brora and my mum used to live in Dornoch. If you get time to drive to Helmsdale there is a great fish and chip cafe there. the decor will make you smile ...
Nearly time for the little ones to come home from school so I'd better get back to preparing afternoon tea
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

One day till we move out and its been really hard. No one ever follows through on what they promise. The Salvation Army came and only took the beds and a couple of items of furniture. Said the rest was not sellable. When I went outside to look at the van it was full no room for most of my furniture. I told him that and he said that I could call and complain if I wanted to. I was so upset. The next day I called the Wonderland Charity and asked them if they could take some more furniture. They said yes. I spent the next morning cleaning the sofa and chair and polishing the table and chairs. When the chap came he just looked and said yes he would take everything. He had such a small flat bed truck but he got everything in. He was in the Army Reserve and said he was use to making things fit. Such a difference in people.

It seems that I am finding stuff everywhere. I made another trip to the library. I dont know what it is with people today. Instead of helping me bring in the books they started going through them and got all excited when they found a Harry Potter DVD. Didnt even thank me. I was just glad to get rid of the books.

My shredder is no good. I put more than one sheet of paper in and it stops. I called my son and he is bringing me a big one on Friday but that means I have to take all the filing to the cottage.

My OH is not well he keeps trying to do stuff and then he gets sick. If I tell him not to do it he gets angry. Men........

Will be in touch next week.

DDL...Love your posts and the food.

Have not had time to read all the post will catch up next week.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
One day till we move out and its been really hard. No one ever follows through on what they promise. The Salvation Army came and only took the beds and a couple of items of furniture. Said the rest was not sellable. When I went outside to look at the van it was full no room for most of my furniture. I told him that and he said that I could call and complain if I wanted to. I was so upset. The next day I called the Wonderland Charity and asked them if they could take some more furniture. They said yes. I spent the next morning cleaning the sofa and chair and polishing the table and chairs. When the chap came he just looked and said yes he would take everything. He had such a small flat bed truck but he got everything in. He was in the Army Reserve and said he was use to making things fit. Such a difference in people.

It seems that I am finding stuff everywhere. I made another trip to the library. I dont know what it is with people today. Instead of helping me bring in the books they started going through them and got all excited when they found a Harry Potter DVD. Didnt even thank me. I was just glad to get rid of the books.

My shredder is no good. I put more than one sheet of paper in and it stops. I called my son and he is bringing me a big one on Friday but that means I have to take all the filing to the cottage.

My OH is not well he keeps trying to do stuff and then he gets sick. If I tell him not to do it he gets angry. Men........

Will be in touch next week.

DDL...Love your posts and the food.

Have not had time to read all the post will catch up next week.
Oh dear, Trotty, so sorry it is being so hard.

Once you have moved, do take it easy with the unpacking and settling in to the rental--no deadline there, just do it one little bit at a time! Remember the point is to catch your breath there, and take a rest.

Good luck with the move itself, both you and hubby take care.

Tina
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:25 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Don't spend anytime on this but it seems you may return the cart to a different position in which case you might get a pound coin or a slug(McVitie type)

UNLESS.....that contraption stays on the cart?

YES it does!! The contraption stays on your TROLLEY then as Denise says you hook up to another, push the metal bar thing is and your OWN coin or whatever pops out.

I LOVE McVities Chocolate Digestives but they don't love my waistline. Cheers you can have them, well maybe I'll just have 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.