Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by jasper123
Good luck Trotty and Denise, hope you sell your houses soon, :f ingerscrossed:
That goes from me too. I hope this is the weekend for you both to sell.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lestagirl
trotty good luck!!!!!! fingers crossed.
I used to earn 17s 6 a for working at woolies back in 1968......on a saturday!
Cigi welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!

My first Saturday job was in 1966 working for Fortes selling ice cream cones. I don't think they made much profit with me working there. It sure was good ice cream though.
Don't remember what they paid me but I would have paid them to work there.

First full time job working at Harrods for 13 pounds a week. Had to be supplemented by working 5 nights a week bartending. Still they were great times though !!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My first job was as an office girl and telephone board operator. You know one of those old fashioned boards that you plugged in the incomining call to someone in the office. The shop downstairs was Phillipson and Goulders, Stationers and books. They had a shop in the rows in Chester. Had one of those contraptions that you put the money in and pulled a lever and the cylinder went shooting across the store and upstairs to the office and they sent back the change I got 2 quid a week and handed it over to my Mum. She gave me pocket money.

But those where the best of times. Meeting my Granny in town with her basket over her arm and she giving me a punnet of strawberries. Popping into the shop my Dad worked at and asking him for some money. Sitting down by the river with my butties. No crowds. Riding my bike into town and not getting mowed down. Walking through town at night with friends and stopping for an icecream.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

My first job was working as a Car Hop for the drive-in A&W in Canada, I lied about my age as I was only 13 and you had to be 15. We actually had to attend a week training school and write an exam. Had the most god awful uniforms, chocolate brown and orange, with little hats that looked like army hats. pants in the winter and orange mini dresses in the summer. I worked there all through high school, my favourite burger is still to this day a Teen Burger from the Burger Family, lol.

Good Luck with the house Trottytrue
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trottytrue
My first job was as an office girl and telephone board operator. You know one of those old fashioned boards that you plugged in the incomining call to someone in the office. The shop downstairs was Phillipson and Goulders, Stationers and books. They had a shop in the rows in Chester. Had one of those contraptions that you put the money in and pulled a lever and the cylinder went shooting across the store and upstairs to the office and they sent back the change I got 2 quid a week and handed it over to my Mum. She gave me pocket money.

But those where the best of times. Meeting my Granny in town with her basket over her arm and she giving me a punnet of strawberries. Popping into the shop my Dad worked at and asking him for some money. Sitting down by the river with my butties. No crowds. Riding my bike into town and not getting mowed down. Walking through town at night with friends and stopping for an icecream.
Ditto but not about the job. Remember Quaintways?
I stayed in Chester from 15th May until 29th. It hasn't changed.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Cigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really niceCigi is just really nice

Yes that seems about right for 1969 it works out to about 10 pounds a week,,
£6-40p for a 40 hour week methinks.

By the time I'd paid tax, NI stamp etc and given my mum my weeks board I had about 30 bob left.

Cigi
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 9:07 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I have fingers crossed for you as well Trotty and Denise on the house sale.

welcome Cigi !!!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

GagainPEI..Yes we went to Qaintways quite alot.. downstairs ballroom dancing and had to sit around waiting for someone to ask you to dance upstairs modern and you danced as a group. Could not be over a certain age to get in. The grocery shop had the best ham off the bone I have ever tasted would pick some up on my way home from work for my Mum. They had this big ham sitting on the counter and would just cut you off as much as you wanted with a very sharp knife, much better than the sliced stuff you get now had the real taste to it.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Now, Now Tottytrue, remember it is not ham but gammon, made that mistake after I arrived and got raw bacon, instead of smoked ham

My poor husband wanted so badly to go to concert in PEI this weekend and felt that in all concience he just could not go as I would not be able to and was working. Finally talked him into going and he e-mailed me that he had a terrific time, we both find that we have our lives on hold both waiting to do things when we are finally together again and both fustrated with the long time apart. I am glad that he has the girls with him although I find myself in tears when he tells me stories of my little 18 mth old Shitszu and the antics she is getting up to. It is such a double edged sword in many ways but I find myself more and more every day becoming one with my homeland again.

There are some things that drive you insane here, for example if you are cashing a cheque at your bank, any cheque, no matter if it was government or not, they put a hold on it for 3 to 5 days. I thought that this was just because I have a fairly new bank account but it is not it is the norm. Laws and regulations for employees are not very good either in some ways. If your employer calls you in and you only work 2 hours you only get paid for 2 hours. I believe in Canada they must pay you for 3 or maybe it is 4 hours even if you only work 2hrs which I think is fair. I do find that workers do not have many rights here unless you are working where you have a union and that employers seem to be able to make their own rules up as they go along.

The fresh veggies and fruit that are available in the outdoor markets are wonderful and you can get a lot and many varieties for £5. That is what I spent yesterday, bought fresh outside grown tomatoes that smell and taste like a tomatoe should, wonderful strawberries, mushrooms, new potatoes, crisp green onions and some wonderfull peaches, and cherries all for less than £5. I have lost 7lbs in the past month, I think that I do not eat as much prepared food as I used to, as I can purchase fresh every two or three days, especially fish, fruit and veggies. Haven't taken to eating everthing deep fried or all the wonderful fresh cream buns and cakes that seem to be everywhere tempting you. The one thing I really miss is a Tim Hortens Iced Cap with a Hazelnut shot but did find out if I can find a Starbucks that they have them there, so will have to go to Glasgow and have one there as there is not one here.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Now, Now Tottytrue, remember it is not ham but gammon, made that mistake after I arrived and got raw bacon, instead of smoked ham

My poor husband wanted so badly to go to concert in PEI this weekend and felt that in all concience he just could not go as I would not be able to and was working. Finally talked him into going and he e-mailed me that he had a terrific time, we both find that we have our lives on hold both waiting to do things when we are finally together again and both fustrated with the long time apart. I am glad that he has the girls with him although I find myself in tears when he tells me stories of my little 18 mth old Shitszu and the antics she is getting up to. It is such a double edged sword in many ways but I find myself more and more every day becoming one with my homeland again.

There are some things that drive you insane here, for example if you are cashing a cheque at your bank, any cheque, no matter if it was government or not, they put a hold on it for 3 to 5 days. I thought that this was just because I have a fairly new bank account but it is not it is the norm. Laws and regulations for employees are not very good either in some ways. If your employer calls you in and you only work 2 hours you only get paid for 2 hours. I believe in Canada they must pay you for 3 or maybe it is 4 hours even if you only work 2hrs which I think is fair. I do find that workers do not have many rights here unless you are working where you have a union and that employers seem to be able to make their own rules up as they go along.

The fresh veggies and fruit that are available in the outdoor markets are wonderful and you can get a lot and many varieties for £5. That is what I spent yesterday, bought fresh outside grown tomatoes that smell and taste like a tomatoe should, wonderful strawberries, mushrooms, new potatoes, crisp green onions and some wonderfull peaches, and cherries all for less than £5. I have lost 7lbs in the past month, I think that I do not eat as much prepared food as I used to, as I can purchase fresh every two or three days, especially fish, fruit and veggies. Haven't taken to eating everthing deep fried or all the wonderful fresh cream buns and cakes that seem to be everywhere tempting you. The one thing I really miss is a Tim Hortens Iced Cap with a Hazelnut shot but did find out if I can find a Starbucks that they have them there, so will have to go to Glasgow and have one there as there is not one here.

Gosh Ed your hubby and dog stories always tear me up, If anyone needs to sell a home its YOU ! Good Luck on that.

Gammon, now you are talking, I never touch the stuff in the Usa, it doesn't taste the same to me, I love British Gammon, and with Chicken its the opposite, I love American Chicken, hardley ever touch it in the UK.

While many Americans seem to think British food is bland I find it tastes very good and its usually fresher.

Id check on job laws, Im not sure of the rules but I have in laws in business in the UK and their rules seem far more favored towards the employee verus the states, of course thats the states and not Canada.

Have a Great week Ed, You Deserve it.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that seems about right for 1969 it works out to about 10 pounds a week,
I think I was making about the same at the Portsmouth Dockyard then,
I do remember that my first Job I had when I left school in 1960 was
2 pounds 10 shillings a week for 5 & half days full time, I was a van boy with the co-op bakery --- delivering bread to peoples houses,

Wow Rod youve done it all.

For years I worked in my parents Vivo/Spar shop for £1 a week pocket money, I did all kinds of things, going to cash n carry with my Dad, pricing items and stocking shelves and cleaning.

My first real job was in 1972, I worked in a Ford bodyshop as an apprentice car sprayer, I took home £6 6p for 40 hours.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
My first Saturday job was in 1966 working for Fortes selling ice cream cones. I don't think they made much profit with me working there. It sure was good ice cream though.
Don't remember what they paid me but I would have paid them to work there.

First full time job working at Harrods for 13 pounds a week. Had to be supplemented by working 5 nights a week bartending. Still they were great times though !!
Yes David they (WERE) great times though weren't they, I also had a Job selling Ice cream, but I was driving a van around the streets for a company that owned a fleet of vans, I had a lot of Jobs from 15 to 19 and then I emigrated to Australia in 1965 thats when my wanderlust kicked in,
Rodney.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn

Yes Ed the gammon (ham) in UK is fantastic, the taste is so much nicer then in the States,
I will second Fish n Chips comment on the selling of your house, you really deserve to be able to sell it SOON, and it always brings tears to my eyes every time you talk about you being there in Scotland and your Husband being so far away in Canada and how much you miss each other and your little pooch and the other bigger dog,
Keep on trucking Pegie, its going to all come together for you, and when you and hubby and Dogs are finally together again everyone on here will be so happy for you and relieved that your all together again,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rodney when are you leaving have you everything in place. I have spent the past 3 days cleaning cleaning cleaning and getting rid of furniture. The stack in the garage gets bigger and bigger for the Salvation Army.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cigi
£6-40p for a 40 hour week methinks.

By the time I'd paid tax, NI stamp etc and given my mum my weeks board I had about 30 bob left.

Cigi
Yes Cigi that reminds me of my first Job when I was 15 in 1960 I actually took home 2 pounds 10 shillings a week after all taxes and deductions, out of that I paid my Mum 30 shillings for my keep and kept one pound for myself, but that pound went quite a long way in those days, considering that my Mum & Dads rent for the 3 bedroom house that we lived in was only 30 shillings a week,
And I loved going to the cinema and watching a couple of feature length movies plus the newsreel and a few cartoons all for one shilling --- and that also included a choc ice,
Oh those were the days alright,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.