Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Mallory
Good news Lara. Is American hubby excited about living in Wales?
Very!! Actully I think he's still in a state of shock as the visa came though so quickly - but yes, he cant wait!!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Oh well done Lara, how exciting for you all. That was QUICK work re the visa from reading some of the other posts.

Wishing you all the best on your journey back HOME.

Barb
Well you know for the past few months Ive been so obsessed with getting the visa . funny thing is, Ive said to my sister for months now .."we're leaving on the 10 May ..." even to the extent that I booked tickets for this show in Cardiff which is on the 17th ... everyone thought I was mad for doing that .. but the 10th May was my target .. and here we are tonight and Ive just booked the flights leaving on the 9th ..
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
welcome to David- you will make lots of friends on here!!

ED- glad to hear that you have found something closer, you will make new friends there too I am sure.

Fish- been interesting to read your posts and the replies!!

Rodney -glad to hear you are getting a bit more mobile now.

Beedubya, Relocateme, and anyone else I have missed out- so glad that things are working out!!

I am back at work part time now and slowly getting more strength!

I am still planning long term to go back to UK though- its where my heart is!!
Hello Shelly...

I'm glad you are on the mend and back at work, a surprise surgery/illness like that can sure be a wake up call for many, of course you didn't need a wake up call, your plans had already been decided and set in stone.
I hope your dreams come true.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:53 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... just a quick post as daily , when I catch up reading all the threads, I no longer have time to post a reply!!!! Cant believe this thread!!!
Welcome to the newcomers.
Congrats ED on the flat. Congrats Lara on the quick visa! Good news on the health Rodney, hope it all comes together quickly for you now. Beedubya, hope one of those job apps will be the right one.
All those i havent mentioned...I still read this thread daily and keep up with you. What a terrific bunch you all are.
Hopefully, wingandpray has made it back safe and has found accomidation.
I remember going through all these things on my journey home five years ago.
Its hard but it all smooths out and it is worth it.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
Well you know for the past few months Ive been so obsessed with getting the visa . funny thing is, Ive said to my sister for months now .."we're leaving on the 10 May ..." even to the extent that I booked tickets for this show in Cardiff which is on the 17th ... everyone thought I was mad for doing that .. but the 10th May was my target .. and here we are tonight and Ive just booked the flights leaving on the 9th ..
Hi Lara,
Dont you think its great when a plan works out perfectly? well done !!! good luck to you and your Husband in Wales, ---- my Dad was born in Pembroke Dock, So Ive been there a lot of times,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hi Everyone, well I just came back from viewing a small one bedroom flat in Ayr and I have decided to take it. It is about 5 blocks from the harbour and across the street from a small grocery store. Within walking distance of downtown and busses running every 20 minutes, just a few block away.

It is not the prettiest flat from the outside and is in a block of 8 flats, you know the old council type flat types. Once you get in the front door, it is lovely, fully furnished and functional, newly painted and comes with all the appliances including gas stove/oven, fridge, freezer, washer and dryer. Small but very bright kitchen with a eat in area, big old type larder cupboard and brand new cupboards, flooring and counters. Living room is fully furnished with large livingroom window and space that if I take out the two big chairs I can put a small dining table and four chairs. Full bathroom with both shower and bathtub. Double bedroom with wardrobe etc, all in all very nice, very clean, with gas heat, lots of storage cupboards also,a nd security access by telephone. The rent is £375.00 per month, council tax is £85.00 per month and that of course will be reduced by 25% as I am single woman.

Now the hard part is to tell my landlady and friend that I will be moving. She is a very good friend, and her wee dog has made many lonely evenings not so lonely. I know that this is the next road of my journey and that it where I need to go to now.
Oh Peigi that is such good news, well done !!! Wow that flat sounds great, and fully furnished too, and the rent is very reasonable also,
Well you got what you wanted, oh boy you really are a go getta arnt you,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
Congratulations Lara...that's fantastic. We too will be going through that process soon I hope. Maybe we should wait a while if things go that quickly. Still soooo much to do !!
No David dont wait too long cause a lot of people on this thread have been through a very frustrating time in waiting sooo long for the spouse visa,
I think Lara & Husband just got real lucky, and Im very happy for them too, yours may go just as fast --- but you never know,
Anyway glad you joined the group,
Take care,
Rodney.
PS I was so suprised and happy that my US citizenship application for me came through so very fast, from start to finish it took only just over 2 months,
Old May 1st 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

well tickets officially booked now for 9th May $1,870 for the three of us, one way - with BA. Today, we're off out to get a few odds and sods .. boxes were picked up yesterday so they're on their way. We'll have one suitcase each, plus a guitar and a trombone and possibly one more suitcase if I have a good shop today - think Im going to have to check on baggage allowance with BA.

My boss is putting on a leaving party for me next Friday at her house so that will be fun ... Tuesday a couple of friends are taking us out for a combined birthday for me/leaving dinner. It's going to be a few busy days now before we leave but still so so so excited!
Old May 1st 2010, 12:14 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

well tickets officially booked now for 9th May $1,870 for the three of us, one way - with BA.
.....but still so so so excited!
Congrats Lara, I can sense your excitement, having plane tickets in hand seals the dea.
That seems like a pretty good price too.
I see your bought one way Tx. Other threads had suggested that is cheaper to buy round trip tx but I had researched and while return fare is cheaper than one way the add on fees and charges and tax being double for a return trip make a return more expensive in total cost than one way - so one way it is for us too, no date yet but by the mid-June we expect. One-way is appropriately kind of final too, the return of the original trip out to here.
Congratulations.
Old May 1st 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

well tickets officially booked now for 9th May $1,870 for the three of us, one way - with BA. Today, we're off out to get a few odds and sods .. boxes were picked up yesterday so they're on their way. We'll have one suitcase each, plus a guitar and a trombone and possibly one more suitcase if I have a good shop today - think Im going to have to check on baggage allowance with BA.

My boss is putting on a leaving party for me next Friday at her house so that will be fun ... Tuesday a couple of friends are taking us out for a combined birthday for me/leaving dinner. It's going to be a few busy days now before we leave but still so so so excited!
Hello Lara.

It all sounds so perfect., I just wish you would cheer up hahahaaaaaa.

I was in Cardiff last July, what a wonderful place it is, the buildings are awesome.

I have relatives in Dinas Powys and Barry, The TV show Gavin and Stacey was shot there, I just love a great comedy show.

Here I am worried about going broke because of healthcare costs and in Wales you wont even have to pay for prescriptions. Huhhhh America hasnt how a clue.

Good Luck to you.
Old May 1st 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to Lara re quick spouse visa, to ED for lovely-sounding flat, welcome to David (Devon and Cornwall are so beautiful, destination for many of my childhood vacations, oops, holidays) and other newcomers...So glad to hear Rodney continues on the mend, likewise Shelley....good luck to Relocateme in job search...

Best to all, too many to mention.

Sitting here on lovely sunny Saturday, garden bursting with flowers, and no-one coming to see the house we are trying to sell, what's up with that? (as the teenagers say!)

Ah well. May has only just begun. I have faith it will pick up soon...
Old May 1st 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

[QUOTE=Lara45;8534771]well tickets officially booked now for 9th May $1,870 for the three of us, one way - with BA. Today, we're off out to get a few odds and sods .. boxes were picked up yesterday so they're on their way. We'll have one suitcase each, plus a guitar and a trombone and possibly one more suitcase if I have a good shop today - think Im going to have to check on baggage allowance with BA.

Great to hear you have your flights booked, that's very exciting

BA baggage allowance is only one 23KG bag if you booked after Nov' 09 It costs $40 for each additional bag. For flights booked before Nov'09 it's 2 x 23kg bags plus your sporting equipment free they are charging for sporting equipment now.

Chris
Old May 1st 2010, 11:08 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pcmaccallum;8535464]

Great to hear you have your flights booked, that's very exciting

BA baggage allowance is only one 23KG bag if you booked after Nov' 09 It costs $40 for each additional bag. For flights booked before Nov'09 it's 2 x 23kg bags plus your sporting equipment free they are charging for sporting equipment now.

Chris
At one time flights to/from the USA had a more generous baggage allowance, 2 suitcases per person, I'm not sure of the weight allowance or if there even is/was once. I do know it's the only flights I have never been bothered about excess baggage on, everywhere else is a nightmare with the 23kg limit.

Of course things may have changed as the last time I went to Hawaii was in 2008...........now that is where I would REALLY love to live second to the UK.
Old May 1st 2010, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya

At one time flights to/from the USA had a more generous baggage allowance, 2 suitcases per person, I'm not sure of the weight allowance or if there even is/was once. I do know it's the only flights I have never been bothered about excess baggage on, everywhere else is a nightmare with the 23kg limit.

Of course things may have changed as the last time I went to Hawaii was in 2008...........now that is where I would REALLY love to live second to the UK.
Hi sorry yes i'm afraid those times are gone now with Virgin and BA anyway. It is only 1 x 23kg bag now. We are flying back with BA on the 2nd June because our flights were booked before a certain date we still get the 2 bags plus golf clubs, but future flights will only be the one bag They sent us an email that we have to show at check in to get our golf clubs free.

Chris
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:54 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
I havent changed my UK flight date yet, but now I am mobile again and can get around in my car I can start to take care of business, it should not take me more then a month.....Rodney

Hi Rodney,

I've not taken the time to read through any subsequent posts ~ and you probably already know this ~ but the last months/days can get so crazy when planning THE BIG MOVE back so just thought I'd throw out a reminder to you - and everyone going back - to be sure to bring copies of your medical records back to the UK with you.

I'm a cancer survivor and have spent the last few weeks chasing up all my previous doctors, oncologists, surgeons, etc., for copies of my records. So far, they've supplied them to me at no cost which surprised me because they usually try to squeeze every dime they can out of a patient.

Cheers,

Denise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.