Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What I did when I first joined is I would jot down a little note about most people so I could remember each little "story" of course there weren't so many people coming and going then.

I still have the notes

AES = Anna - USA - UK - Malta

Jasper123 = Rodney - USA to UK

EasternDawn = Peigi - Canada to Scotland

Trotty True = TT - NH, USA to UK

Fish and Chips = Philip - Canada to UK

And so on, it saves mix ups though they do still happen as we are not getting any younger!!
That's a really good idea. I think I will start doing that because I am finding it hard to keep everyone straight
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Yes thats my kitchen. This is the outside of my home
Cheeres -Love your house (but I love the UK houses more lol!)
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PAT M
Great to hear you've arrived safely back home Rodney, enjoy every moment, you deserve it, looking forward to your posts once you're settled.

Sorry to hear that the house viewing was so disappointing TT, I have been around for a few of our viewings, our estate agents are useless and we have given them notice until the end of January. Still as has been said it only takes that one person who finds that your house ticks all their boxes. My son suggested we bury a statue of St Joseph as he is the patron saint of home sellers (don't ask! you can Google it, apparently it's an american thing). I did buy a little statue and he's in the kitchen, here's hoping he comes to our aid.

Lovely picture of Don and Tim, nice looking couple. Welcome to all the new posters, I'm new myself and now it's a daily fix to see how you are all getting on.

Some of you who haven't visited London for many years are in for some pleasant surprises. There is now the London Eye on the skyline by Westminster Bridge, it's great fun to take a ride in a pod, you can see for miles. The South Bank makes a great day out if you just want to stroll by the river, there is plenty of street entertainment, the same as old Covent Garden. Another thing I miss about our life in London is our visits to The Royal Opera House Covent Garden, if you are an opera fan tickets are very cheap on Mondays and sometimes in the summer you can see the opera free on big screens outside in the square. There are also Proms in the Park concerts too organised by the BBC. Pub fare is great, you can have a Thai curry, Indian, Irish, whatever takes your fancy. There is a great assortment of international food available in the supermarkets, olive oil is sometimes cheaper there than it is in Italy. When we first returned to the UK in 1977 the only place we could buy olive oil was in Boots the Chemists, now all kinds of things are available from Europe.

Christmas has always seemed extra special to me in England, there are so many holidays in Italy. People really go to town decorating their houses with lights now in the UK, that never used to happen when I grew up there.
Pat - Lovely info, especially Covent Garden. I grew up in a theatrical family so I really miss the culture over there.

I am surprised people light up there houses over there (like the U.S.) because I thought electricity was very expensive there.

Are you in Italy making your way back to the UK?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
hello everyone,
well here i am in england,
you probably heard of the big freeze in uk well my plane couldn't land at gatwick on wednesday and diverted to heathrow, luckily my daughter was there to pick me up, we drove to Portsmouth and home with my Mum, oh it was so lovely to see the smile on my mums face when she saw me at her door,we hugged, daughter stayed for while we allhad a nice cup of tea and a chat, she took off after a while,
The first 3 days we were snowed in heavy snow and bad ice on all the roads and sidewalks, on Saturday we got out drove to the Lloyd's bank Iopened up a current account, no problem at all, just asked for ID I showed British passport and they did need my address here of course and my last address in the US and also if I still had a bank account in US and how much approximately in the account, not much im afraid
well im at the library now and using there computer, easy to join --- thanks Don your allowed sessions up to an hour each time,
Yes Rosie is right just like London --- Portsmouth is quite cold, but at least the snow has cleared now, lots of seagulls flying around i love it,
And well all I can say after only being back home for 5 days is I love being home, its great here, people are really friendly and helpful,
Tonight I am cooking dinner for me and Mum, --- sausages and mash with peas, shes been doing all the cooking so far so i need to give her a break,
well just a quick check in for now, hope everyone is ok and fine, thinking of you all, dont have enough time on the computer to read any posts sorry,
will check back in in a couple of days, take care ya all,
Rodney.
Rodney - Nice to hear from you! You sound as if you are enjoying life!! I am glad

I wonder why you have to show proof of U.S. address to open a bank account at Lloyds?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
What is an LPR?

I am a naturalized citizen but I would give up the USA citizenship with no problem if it meant not paying taxes here.
LPR legal permanent resident. Green card holder.
I doubt you'll end up paying taxes to the US, you need to make a lot of money every year to get over the threshold for double tax something like £80,000 per year.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I wish.
I will be on the look out for a Greggs shop now you have mentioned it. I dod love sausage rolls.
Okay, I have seen a few posts about Greggs now, but what is it?
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
LPR legal permanent resident. Green card holder.
I doubt you'll end up paying taxes to the US, you need to make a lot of money every year to get over the threshold for double tax something like £80,000 per year.
Thanks, Mummy. I would like to not have to file U.S. tax returns either. I want to live in Britain as a UK citizen - as if I grew up there. I don't want to have to live as a foreign citizen in my own country.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi, while you remain a USC you are obligated to report to IRS any Taxable Income, as if you were in the US.
If you have income that is not taxable, for instance, it is less than your personal allowance then you get to decide not to report it and you don't file.

(took me a long time to get that in my head, it's the same for the UK, if some income is not taxable then you simply do not report it. The onus is on us, the filer, to decide what is reportable and what isn't. They, the tax people, don't go through to check if you listed stuff you needn't, if you report they will tax it.)

It would be worth filing the first couple years back in UK I suspect, even if you do not have any earned income, maybe IRS owes you a credit from previous and needs to pay it back, if you don't file they won't be able to respond with the refund.

here is a link to a 2009 IRS document on filing, http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i104...02.html#d0e430

It is lengthy but don't read it all for now, just look in
Contents, Section 2, click on "Do You Have To File"; it will jump you to the section,
then scroll down about one page more and you will see Chart A, Chart B, Chart C, these charts set out the rules for when you must file.
"While I remain a USC . . . " If I have my way, it will be gone the day I set foot on UK soil! Honestly, I don't want to live as a foreign citizen in my own country. I want to live there as if I never left.

This is useful info, though, JJ and I will read it.

Seriously, as you said, I will probably have to file US taxes for one or two years but that's enough for me. I am going "home" after all )
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Barb, Id say that would be hard to do without money, and lawyers here cost $250 an hour, I once had a chance to sue, my lawyer thought I had a great case, she was very upfront and told me it could take 7 years or more with them dragging their feet, and still there was no guarantee I would win, she said it might be better to forget it and get on with life, thats what I chose to do, who needs all the stress, why waste your life, every day is precious.
Lawyers fees have taken more of my money than the issue at hand - whenever I needed a lawyer, that is. It's disgusting. The system is also set up so you HAVE to have a lawyer.

FnC I think your lawyer gave you some very worthwhile advice.

Honestly, I don't know why young people want to become lawyers. They are so proud to be a lawyer!! They must wonder why I look so disappointed and perplexed when I find out. When I find out someone is a lawyer, in my mind they go way down in my estimation - curbside level.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:17 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I have seen a few posts about Greggs now, but what is it?
It's a bakery chain.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
It's a bakery chain.
Thanks, Idy.

I am looking forward to eating British baked goods again. SO delicious compared to most here.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:22 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Idy.

I am looking forward to eating British baked goods again. SO delicious compared to most here.
I know what you mean. I have finally found a place that sells decent croissants (not really a British product I know ) but the ones you get over here are just heavy lumps of stodgy dough. Horrible!

Ooooo, and Greggs do a really yoummy Chelsea Bun - I ate loads when I was over in May as you don't get them over here.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
I know what you mean. I have finally found a place that sells decent croissants (not really a British product I know ) but the ones you get over here are just heavy lumps of stodgy dough. Horrible!

Ooooo, and Greggs do a really yoummy Chelsea Bun - I ate loads when I was over in May as you don't get them over here.
lol! I forgot ALL about chelsea buns! How could I!
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

So would Bill Gates
lol..good one cheers.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

So would Bill Gates
Yep! That's a good one alright lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.