Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by pcmaccallum
Thank you for the good wishes. Yes i am Christine. You never know we might meet up one day we are from the same area.

I am Chris/Christine 54 my husband is Pete 58
Married for 36 years, he is my best friend
2 children 1 in USA 1 in Southern Ireland
4 grandchildren
Mother 89 on friday MIL 87 both in UK
Living in Florida until tomorrow then going back to Nottinghamshire UK
Then onto to Ireland on 12th June for an extended holiday.

Chris
Chris and Pete, I will be thinking of you on your long flight and sending you a ton of good energy for a smooth journey. Watch out for Trottytrue, she likes to take up the seat next to you!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on when you get back from holiday!!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I've loved reading about everyone over the last few pages of this thread.

I'm 47 and have been in New York for 12 years.

I'm from a small village between Leeds and York. Moved to Canada (Toronto) with my husband's job when I was 24 (He's also British). We lived right downtown. I loved it but the winters were too cold for me. Then I got a job offer in the US and we moved again, first to Connecticut before settling just outside Manhattan. I loved it here too until homesickness began to set in over the last few years. New York is amazing and I have nothing bad to say about it. I just changed.

We have no kids. We are animal lovers and have 4 cats, but two of them have chronic illnesses and might not survive the stress of the journey so we can't move back just now. I could never leave them. My husband isn't homesick at all, but he's willing to think about a move. We plan to go back in September to have a look around. If we do move back, it will be a few years from now, so we're just at the planning stage.
Sally, when you do decide to move back seriously look into Cunard, Queen Mary II, for your crossing. You are at the right spot in the US to just jump on the boat and take the trip across the ocean home. I wish I could do it this year, but they book up quick. Keep that in mind for your pets. The journey will be worry free as opposed to flying

By the way, I love NY too. My best friend lives there, and I have visited often. Perfect city to visit!

Last edited by Marmalade; Jun 1st 2010 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

My suitcase is already packed Chris. Safe journey and happy landings.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Ever the optimist I have been working hard on the garden and keeping the house clean and tidy to make sure everything is ready for whatever comes next. Peeling paint touch ups, cobwebs and fans to be cleaned. Windows cleaned. Garden is now fully weeded. Did not spend money on mulch this year just turned over last years.
I am up in the air at the moment not sure whats happening with my OH illness but I am not giviing up on my dream. I have spent to many years working towards this for it to suddenly be taken away from me.

This past weekend was Memorial Day Holiday and just so you can understand those of you with children and think they will always be there for you. Like I did. My two older children did not even call. My younger son would have been fully involved with his inlaws and my older one enjoying himself. They both know their Dad is ill. Daughter came but was eager to leave after a couple of hours. So please remember when you think of those children and how you are worried about leaving them. If they are young take them back with you dont stay because of them. if they are past High School then do what you want. The teenage years are the hard ones to decide on.

On some of the other forums you read about how homesick some people are and they cannot make their minds up what to do. They are like lots of us just hanging on hoping for the best but its such a waste. I wish I could explain to them that it doesnt get better it gets worst as you get older.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:18 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Id like to hear comments from people on this thread that left the USA for the UK.

Id like to know info as regards healthcare here and UK, essentially was the healthcare issue on your mind daily when living in the USA, could you afford healthcare Insurance? and now you live in the UK how does it feel? any daily worries about healthcare, or is it a no brainer?... complaints are welcome too...

I just feel like its on my mind here every day and a constant never ending worry.

Thanks...
We had good insurance through my husbands job, but it came at the cost of 700.dollars out of his check every month!! Then you still had the co-pay. My husband had a kidney stone once and also caught salmonella once and each time the bills just kept coming from the hospital, for the 20% not covered by insurance. my husband also was in an accident once with my two youngest. The rescue came and took them to hospital to be examined, but then they billed us for it!. My older son, when he passed 18 and no longer fell under our insurance and didnt yet have any of his own....started having back pain. He was just shifted out of emergency rooms with muscle relaxers as he wasnt insured. Thankfully, one dr on a return visit from us, had mercy and went ahead and ordered a scan. Cancer...which my son survived after chemo, but had it not been caught at that moment, he wouldnt have as it already began to spread. We were still even turned away from a chemo treament one day as social security hadnt cleared paper work for medicaid to help out. It was a living night mare and I was terrified that my son would not be treated. It was so much red tape to get through and I felt that his bedside care suffered as he was not insured, but still I am thankful that they finally agreed to treat him at all.
Ok, since being here....my husband has had his gall bladder removed and also had carpal tunnel operation. Excellent treatment by very kind staff, no questions. (and he's american). My son signed up with local GP when he arrived, and the dr immediately sent him for scan just to make sure all was clear. he had repeated scans for a few years and now has been cleared as cured. Very good care. he now has a deteriorating hip due to chemo and drs are monitoring him for eventual replacement. My daughter has had a baby here and no problems...good care.
I fortunately, have not been ill, but I feel very secure here that if I did, I would get prompt and proper care...no cost.
For my part, I would say that the NHS doesnt get near the credit they deserve!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:55 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Just jumping on here today to wave good-bye to Chris and Pete! Will be thinking about you and looking forward to hearing from you "on the other side"

Denise - USC
Legal Secretary
3 grown children, 3 small grandsons

Tony - UKC/USC
Web Developer/Programmer
6 grown children (Plymouth/Bristol/Kew), 6 grandchildren

Met on the internet!
Married 6 years (together 7 years)
Lived in London for while, then moved to US (near Charleston, SC)

Selling it all to move back to UK within next few months
Concentration on SW London (where mum is) but open to anywhere within M3/M4/M5 perimeter with good access to London and/or Plymouth

Our dream: Live in a village, work in a village (or nearby) - and just THIS MORNING he had an interview offer in Pewsey.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Magistrate, do you remember Harris Childrens Home or Orphanage as some folks know it? On Garstang road not far from Black Bull. Anyway that was my home from 1969-1982.. I just wondered cos don't get chance to speak to folks who know of place..I loved the place and still miss it to this day..Only left cos place shut down and now it is a sad sight to see..
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:23 pm
magistrate

magistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nicemagistrate is just really nice

Really sorry Fulwood ,I do remember the pub but not a childrens home ,I understand how you feel as I will be visiting my relatives later this year in Preston and i know things will not look the same as when i was last there in 95.
I spent a lot of my teenage years in Fulwood ,dated boys from Cuthbert Maine school .
Loved my job in Winkley square ,the happiest years of my life were 1970 to 76 but maybe hopefully more happy years to come if fate allows
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DDL
Just jumping on here today to wave good-bye to Chris and Pete! Will be thinking about you and looking forward to hearing from you "on the other side"

Denise - USC
Legal Secretary
3 grown children, 3 small grandsons

Tony - UKC/USC
Web Developer/Programmer
6 grown children (Plymouth/Bristol/Kew), 6 grandchildren

Met on the internet!
Married 6 years (together 7 years)
Lived in London for while, then moved to US (near Charleston, SC)

Selling it all to move back to UK within next few months
Concentration on SW London (where mum is) but open to anywhere within M3/M4/M5 perimeter with good access to London and/or Plymouth

Our dream: Live in a village, work in a village (or nearby) - and just THIS MORNING he had an interview offer in Pewsey.
Just had to comment on the internet marriage! I too have had one of those, unforuntately it didn't work. We met in March 2005, got married September 2005, and it was downhill super speed till we were legally divorced 2008!! Not having learned my lesson I have been communicating again with someone online (in another European country) the last 10 months, and it looks like that is ending before we even meet! So, congratulations for making your relationship work and proving it is possible to find love online!!!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
Just had to comment on the internet marriage! I too have had one of those, unforuntately it didn't work. We met in March 2005, got married September 2005, and it was downhill super speed till we were legally divorced 2008!! Not having learned my lesson I have been communicating again with someone online (in another European country) the last 10 months, and it looks like that is ending before we even meet! So, congratulations for making your relationship work and proving it is possible to find love online!!!!
I have one too! Met on-line, together 6 years, married 5 years and its all good! He is European but Canadian Citizen and I am happy he wants to follow me to the UK.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAWA
I have one too! Met on-line, together 6 years, married 5 years and its all good! He is European but Canadian Citizen and I am happy he wants to follow me to the UK.
OK,now I have to know - which site worked for you and Denise????
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Match.com however if I had to do it again (and I would, if necessary ) I would use e-harmony I think! Hope hubby does not read this thread...
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAWA
Match.com however if I had to do it again (and I would, if necessary ) I would use e-harmony I think! Hope hubby does not read this thread...
Ah,the two main ones, and they both want money. So obviously it was money well spent Maybe that's my mistake, I tried the free ones, at least free for females!!!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:19 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

DatingDirect.com ~ but that was 7 years ago. I'm not even sure they still exist.

I might add: I was just out of a divorce after a 25-year marriage. The LAST thing I was looking for was another husband! I was looking for - well, I guess I was just looking for someone to correspond with. I've always been a letter-writer, a hopeless romantic, and an Anglophile. When I met Tony online, we had very similar pasts (although he had been divorced for 7 years) and experiences and we just really hit it off, writing for months and months before actually meeting in person.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Or should that be: HERstory.

Denise

Last edited by DDL; Jun 1st 2010 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Ever the optimist I have been working hard on the garden and keeping the house clean and tidy to make sure everything is ready for whatever comes next. Peeling paint touch ups, cobwebs and fans to be cleaned. Windows cleaned. Garden is now fully weeded. Did not spend money on mulch this year just turned over last years.
I am up in the air at the moment not sure whats happening with my OH illness but I am not giviing up on my dream. I have spent to many years working towards this for it to suddenly be taken away from me.

This past weekend was Memorial Day Holiday and just so you can understand those of you with children and think they will always be there for you. Like I did. My two older children did not even call. My younger son would have been fully involved with his inlaws and my older one enjoying himself. They both know their Dad is ill. Daughter came but was eager to leave after a couple of hours. So please remember when you think of those children and how you are worried about leaving them. If they are young take them back with you dont stay because of them. if they are past High School then do what you want. The teenage years are the hard ones to decide on.

On some of the other forums you read about how homesick some people are and they cannot make their minds up what to do. They are like lots of us just hanging on hoping for the best but its such a waste. I wish I could explain to them that it doesnt get better it gets worst as you get older.
Yes Trottytrue,
I hear what your saying about the kids, well my Son in England used to call me about every 3 months or so, same thing with my step daughter, but now I am lucky these days if I get a Christmas card from either one of them,
My Sister who lives in Plymouth with my Nephew, never calls me but just to keep in touch I call her every few months just to see how she is doing,
And when I return to UK I very much doubt that the situation will change, my Son may pop into see his Grandmother and me maybe a couple of times a year if we are lucky, and we will probably see my Sister a couple of times a year, Christmas and Mums Birthday,
So whether your family is there in the same country as you like you in Australia or they are in the country you are returning to like UK, Its very much the same situation on how many times they bother to see you,

I suppose that when the kids grow up and there deep into there own lives then the parents come second,

Avril I hope you Husbands health improves very soon and that you will be able to fulfill your dream to return to UK again ---- and this time for good,
Take care,
Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.