Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England was a mistake

Moving back to England was a mistake

Old Dec 6th 2003, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by deedee
shes cheered up quite considerably since she returned here
Although they were her impressions not mine.Mine however are completely different.I think most kids in todays society are little #####(yeah yeah there are some well behaved ones that i've just never met yet for sure)All the ones i've had the displeasure of meeting have been spoilt,uncontrolled,havoc causing monsters.I too did go to school and they were pretty awful in my years but at least the bad ones got punished whereas now!There are far too many individual cases to put a distinctive pattern on it but in my opinion(not that my opinion is worth anything to people who have children cos' i don't have any)children in the UK are rather "different" to what they were generations ago and are here in NZ,whatever the reason.
I would suggest that the reason that kids are little #### is that parents have outsourced their upbringing and consequenly have little or no parental influence because parents are too busy earning money to maintain their status. I don't have the requisite 2.5 kids either or an SUV which are two of today's status symbols.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by flashman
I would suggest that the reason that kids are little #### is that parents have outsourced their upbringing and consequenly have little or no parental influence because parents are too busy earning money to maintain their status. I don't have the requisite 2.5 kids either or an SUV which are two of today's status symbols.
Valid point, in addition schools are expelling student much much quicker than they used to.

So some kids get lost in the system then get bored and end up getting into serious trouble. Hence the career in crime.

A 14 year old student hacking a person to pieces or stabbing a fellow student, these things rarely used to occur.....Yes the world is changing lets just hope we change things by using our voting rights for change.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Get rid of the doogooders, bring back old fashioned discipline. It didnt do me any harm and least I was taught self respect, and likewise to my fellow human. Interesting in China because of the one child rule, the kids are so spoilt and they are having a problem with kids killing their parents for simple things like they didnt like their tea!!

I was around someones brats the other day, I told the mother they were a good conception tool to being around them. lol. NO I wouldnt want to bring Kids up in a Western Society. Think I would rather have a puppy, at least they are quicker to toilet train...

Originally posted by veryfunny
Valid point, in addition schools are expelling student much much quicker than they used to.

So some kids get lost in the system then get bored and end up getting into serious trouble. Hence the career in crime.

A 14 year old student hacking a person to pieces or stabbing a fellow student, these things rarely used to occur.....Yes the world is changing lets just hope we change things by using our voting rights for change.
Old Dec 6th 2003, 4:48 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Dolphingirl
Get rid of the doogooders, bring back old fashioned discipline. It didnt do me any harm and least I was taught self respect, and likewise to my fellow human. Interesting in China because of the one child rule, the kids are so spoilt and they are having a problem with kids killing their parents for simple things like they didnt like their tea!!

I was around someones brats the other day, I told the mother they were a good conception tool to being around them. lol. NO I wouldnt want to bring Kids up in a Western Society. Think I would rather have a puppy, at least they are quicker to toilet train...

Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

They still have 'The Birch', in the Channel Islands you know.

Don't think they use it too much though as they don't want to upset the PC brigade in the UK...
Old Dec 7th 2003, 10:49 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dolphingirl

I believe it is to do with society rather than a lack of physical punishment. It is interesting that in Japan where strict schooling is admired they have a problem where young men either commit suicide or lock themselves up fo years on end and don't speak their families.

Respect is something that is taught through example and cannot be bashed into children.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 12:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Thanks Dunroving, ... I guess it must be the spirit of Christmas, .... I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
And Merry Christmas to the Pulaski clan!

I'll be on Ocracoke this Christmas, house- and dog-sitting. Thought you might know it, being in NC. In fact I just got back from there, being shown where everything is - they even had a remote control gas log fireplace! Hmmmm.... doesn't quite have the same ring to it: "Chestnuts roasting on a gas log fireplace....."
Old Dec 8th 2003, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

I think it is fair to say that the UK is a big adjustment. There are a lot of things I really like about it, but it does involve a lot of understanding whether it's a boiler melting down, engineering day at the train stations or paying (35 cents) to use the bathroom, pubs stopping service at 2 in the afternoon. I bet the list of frustrations goes on and on for Americans.

Originally posted by goldy
We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(6) The weather. For 9 months of the year it's cold and miserable.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by deedee
shes cheered up quite considerably since she returned here
Although they were her impressions not mine.Mine however are completely different.I think most kids in todays society are little #####(yeah yeah there are some well behaved ones that i've just never met yet for sure)All the ones i've had the displeasure of meeting have been spoilt,uncontrolled,havoc causing monsters.I too did go to school and they were pretty awful in my years but at least the bad ones got punished whereas now!There are far too many individual cases to put a distinctive pattern on it but in my opinion(not that my opinion is worth anything to people who have children cos' i don't have any)children in the UK are rather "different" to what they were generations ago and are here in NZ,whatever the reason.
I think that if you quote your Kiwi friend and her somewhat jaundiced and limited experiences and views and then make no comment yourself then you are endorsing that view are you not? As I said children in NZ are no better and no worse than the UK but you appear to be having difficulty with that idea.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:31 am
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
They still have 'The Birch', in the Channel Islands you know.

Don't think they use it too much though as they don't want to upset the PC brigade in the UK...

The Isle of Man is where they have the birch. I think that it got banned though. The Isle of Man is a wierd place with a lot of "magic" shops and odd people.

I never saw any problem with public floggings - providing they did it in leather.

Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Assumption that I meant physical punishment.

Originally posted by bondipom
I believe it is to do with society rather than a lack of physical punishment. It is interesting that in Japan where strict schooling is admired they have a problem where young men either commit suicide or lock themselves up fo years on end and don't speak their families.

Respect is something that is taught through example and cannot be bashed into children.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 4:22 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by muppetking
I think that if you quote your Kiwi friend and her somewhat jaundiced and limited experiences and views and then make no comment yourself then you are endorsing that view are you not? As I said children in NZ are no better and no worse than the UK but you appear to be having difficulty with that idea.
i have no difficulty with your idea,i just dont believe it from my experiences.And why should i believe what is one persons opinion about children.My friends views are different to mine,she loves kids,she just found 12 months with UK children horrible.I just havn't met many kids that made me think differently.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

bryank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by goldy
We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(6) The weather. For 9 months of the year it's cold and miserable.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.
England is officially now a DUMP and getting worse every year. That's a FACT.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bryank
England is officially now a DUMP and getting worse every year. That's a FACT.
Must make you glad you in Oz then
Old Dec 12th 2003, 11:55 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by JayJay
Must make you glad you in Oz then

And they must be delighted to have have him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.