Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England was a mistake

Moving back to England was a mistake

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 11:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RoB1833
Of course as you posted on another thread you lived in the south for a number of years and so know the north well.....
Actually I do know the north of England fairly well; my family are all (both sides) from Yorkshire, and I worked for a Yorskire based business when I was last in the UK, visiting the head office fairly regularly, as well as one of its offices Lancashire.
It's not about rose coloured spectacles, merely pointing out that there are good and bad sides to any country .....
That's exactly my point in posting here - to counter the often, quite frankly, absurdly unrealistic view of the UK. If you only read the positive things that peole posted it sounds like nirvana - no crime, happy smiling people, a perfect education system, .... the whole "chocolate box cottage picture" dream of England as Arcadia.

I wish people who want to return to the UK every happiness, but I am much better off where I live now, and have no expectation, or desire, to ever return to live in the UK.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 2nd 2003 at 11:43 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I wish people who want to return to the UK every happiness.....
So why do you insist on raining on their parade?

I can understand why you're constantly raving about the US. I like it too. But do you have to constantly rain crap on the U.K.? Sure, free speech and all that, I'm not denying you your opinion, But sometimes the old saying is true - if you don't have anything good to say about someone (or somewhere), don't say anything....

Come on, Pulaski, here's a deal. If you can write 5 things that you truly, honestly like about the UK, I'll write 5 things that I truly, honestly like about you.

[gulp!] :scared:

p.s. You go first.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:59 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dunroving
So why do you insist on raining on their parade?

I can understand why you're constantly raving about the US. I like it too. But do you have to constantly rain crap on the U.K.? Sure, free speech and all that, I'm not denying you your opinion, But sometimes the old saying is true - if you don't have anything good to say about someone (or somewhere), don't say anything....

Come on, Pulaski, here's a deal. If you can write 5 things that you truly, honestly like about the UK, I'll write 5 things that I truly, honestly like about you.

[gulp!] :scared:

p.s. You go first.

This is exactly the point..... there are good sides to the UK, especially compared to the US. Just for starters employment law if you're an employee!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:22 am
Keelie

WOS. your last phrase...'but it's where my heart is' speaks volumes... that sums it up very well.

I'm currently reading the true story of two women from Surrey who, along with their Scottish husbands came to Canada in the 1800's. One lady wrote...'being wrenched from one's homeland leaves deep scars in the psyche of every emigrant in any era'. ' She bore these scars for the rest of her life.'

I've met emigrants like that in Aus.N.Z. Canada and the US.
For one reason or another, be it children who called the new land 'Home', a spouse who refused to return to the U.K., financial circumstances , health, these people carried with them an aura of sadness.

Don't mean to depress anyone, honest...and on the bright side to-days emigrant has access to internet and affordable phone calls...a far different cry from even a few years ago.

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
Too many people, too little space. A minority of politicians trying to convince the majority of people, that everyone else is congratulating them for harmonious assimilation.

My experience is one of despair, made worse by ignorance of the real problem.

I imagine I will live there again at some point, but unfortunately the situation won’t have improved. My love for Britain/England is based on something deeper, that I can’t quantify easily.

I guess it falls down on most of the benchmarks one would use to categorize a desirable place to live, but it is where my heart is…

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This whole downer on the U.K. is a joke. Its not a perfect country, but you show me one that is? Not everybody gets the chance or even wants to travel the world, or maybe live in another country. The majority, because they are more than comfortable right where they are in the U.K. Some of you sound like you've been brainwashed by the tabloids.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I don't believe a country is just a series of activities that one can take advantage of, like in a theme park. Those are possible the aspects 'non-natives' look at when considering the country, but not necessarily those born there.

I left Britain because I was getting 'pi**ed' off with public transport, etc and figured I would go elsewhere for a while. The reasons I feel highly about England was summed up quite well by Mr Churchill:

"We [Britain] are bound to further every honest and practical step
which the nations of Europe may make to reduce the barriers which divide
them and to nourish their common interests and their common welfare. We
rejoice at every diminution of the internal tariffs and the martial
armaments of Europe. We see nothing but good and hope in a richer,
freer, more contented European commonalty. But we have our own dream
and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but
not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed. And
should European statesmen address us in the words which were used of
old, 'Wouldest thou be spoken for to the king, or the captain of the host?',
we should reply, with the Shunammite woman: 'I dwell among mine own
people.'"
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:01 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
You must have a weird definition of "village". I used to live an hour out of central London and there wasn't anything I'd recognise as a "village" within an additional half hour going outwards from London.

Of course this board is for those wanting to head home, but they should do so with open eyes, and not take too much notice of people with rose-tinted spectacles.

BTW One of the reasons I left the UK was that there were no houses that I would consider suitable for a family (combination of neighborhood and size of house/ garden) available within a reasonable (time and cost) commute of London for under around £400,000 Even if I had found a house the cost of buying it would have sucked up all my income for the forseeable future and after paying off the mortgage I'd have had nothing to show for my job but a house - no luxuries, no fancy holiday, no investments and not much of a pension. There was simply no way that I could afford a decent life in the UK.
I lived in Shinfield Village SE and there are plenty more villages 60 mins from London - 400,000 would buy you lots of nice houses. I moved to a more built up area in Winnersh that was to get my kids into better schools. I could commute to London easily from there - walking distance to train into Reading 20 mins and a fast express into London Paddington - 40 mins if the timing is right. I was a bike ride to decent parks and a short drive to more countryside - I sold my house (4 bed, study etc in nice area) for approx 260K this year.

Your standards are not everyones, I had a better economic lifestyle in SE England than I have in Sydney. Horses for courses and personal choice.

But buying into that market I agree is difficult - we had lived there for over 15 years and built up our equity, even though we had a largish mortgage it was still less than I need now to live where I have chosen in Sydney. I know I should move but I hate the bloody thought of a longer commute.

Cheers Sandra
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

So are you going back to the UK?

Originally posted by Keelie
WOS. your last phrase...'but it's where my heart is' speaks volumes... that sums it up very well.

I'm currently reading the true story of two women from Surrey who, along with their Scottish husbands came to Canada in the 1800's. One lady wrote...'being wrenched from one's homeland leaves deep scars in the psyche of every emigrant in any era'. ' She bore these scars for the rest of her life.'

I've met emigrants like that in Aus.N.Z. Canada and the US.
For one reason or another, be it children who called the new land 'Home', a spouse who refused to return to the U.K., financial circumstances , health, these people carried with them an aura of sadness.

Don't mean to depress anyone, honest...and on the bright side to-days emigrant has access to internet and affordable phone calls...a far different cry from even a few years ago.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Come have a look at South West Sydney. Well connected with train links and M5 freeway. My Wife and I both work in the city.

Are you thinking of returning to the UK?

Originally posted by Sandra
I lived in Shinfield Village SE and there are plenty more villages 60 mins from London - 400,000 would buy you lots of nice houses. I moved to a more built up area in Winnersh that was to get my kids into better schools. I could commute to London easily from there - walking distance to train into Reading 20 mins and a fast express into London Paddington - 40 mins if the timing is right. I was a bike ride to decent parks and a short drive to more countryside - I sold my house (4 bed, study etc in nice area) for approx 260K this year.

Your standards are not everyones, I had a better economic lifestyle in SE England than I have in Sydney. Horses for courses and personal choice.

But buying into that market I agree is difficult - we had lived there for over 15 years and built up our equity, even though we had a largish mortgage it was still less than I need now to live where I have chosen in Sydney. I know I should move but I hate the bloody thought of a longer commute.

Cheers Sandra
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
I lived in Shinfield Village SE and there are plenty more villages 60 mins from London - 400,000 would buy you lots of nice houses.

What would be the household income (and salaries) to afford to buy this house and what would be the down payment?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Come have a look at South West Sydney. Well connected with train links and M5 freeway. My Wife and I both work in the city.

Are you thinking of returning to the UK?
I live in St Ives, Upper North Shore and seriously am very pleased with the area and state schools - just getting a decent house was a hard one - we bought old and big, not a McMansion, about 30 years old and a hotch potch of a house but a lot of fun. I get a lift to the Station and am in work 10 mins later.

We choose the area for states schools as we could not afford private. Son is quite academic and daughter need some support in school as she is partially deaf.

I am paying through the nose for it - we have a 520K mortgage and put a decent deposit down, stamp duty etc put a hole in the deposit!

Nope not thinking of going anywhere soon! I came here with my eyes open and got them opened even more - can understand why people go back - if we ever thought about it, it would not be back to where we came from - been there done that and moved!
I did have big time moments of chucking it in after 6 months and before we sold UK house but hubby is the stable one and we are much better now we are out of rental and in 'own' home.

I still do not rate everything here as I didn't in the UK - but having an experience and will continue to make sure I do!

Cheers Sandra

Last edited by Sandra; Dec 3rd 2003 at 10:52 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:49 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by flashman
What would be the household income (and salaries) to afford to buy this house and what would be the down payment?
Our Income was around 70K between two and we had a 140k mortgage on that house, we bought at 217 and it went up the rest in the two years we owned it.

We also on those incomes had two nice cars a motorbike, one long family holiday a year and various weekends away with kids and friends. We had it cushty! But didn't know it - we like adventure and change so here we are - no real regrets cause we are doing something different ????

Cheers
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

Yep, big mistake.

Originally posted by goldy
We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(6) The weather. For 9 months of the year it's cold and miserable.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Where did you move back from?

Originally posted by Majj
Yep, big mistake.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

From Portland, Oregon, USA. Regretted it almost from the next day!!

Originally posted by ahappychappy
Where did you move back from?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.