Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England was a mistake

Moving back to England was a mistake

Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Deedee. I'm really saddened to hear that. It is a long time since I lived there. Any info on further north?, I must admit I had hoped that even the Cairngorms area would be 'nice'. I have lived in Applecross which is west of Loch Carron, north of the Kyle, I wonder if all that area has gone the same way. I'd be suprised if so, but what a shame. I do have a friend who lives there and she hasn't spoken of that kind of thing, but our infrequent letters don't go into detail of that kind. If you can expand more, it would be appreciated, even if it means I am going prepared for the worst. I just can't imagine it has got that bad.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

sculkin is an unknown quantity at this point

This is all just personal opinion. Don't be put off by what other people think of a place - we all want very different things. I live in the South East about 40 mins outside Central London. I live in wonderful village have never been the victim of crime, have a great job in the city, my daughter goes to a lovely school. I have travelled around the world and have yet go anywhere that I I was sad to leave to return to the UK. We are fed such rubbish in this country about having a better life abroad. I'm sick of being told that I haven't got the guts to find a new life elsewhere - I don't want a new life I love this one.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:30 pm
Banned

sado is an unknown quantity at this point

if your life is that great then get off this site and go for a walk in your quaint little village and mind you dont get mugged
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

Actually, can I just jump in here. I really appreciated the above comments from Sculkin. This is the 'Going Home' board so it is appropriate for posters to talk well of England to help us that intend on moving back (short or long term) to plan the trip. I was really 'down' when I read the post about Scotland being so awful. I don't care what the British write about Britain on the 'emigrating' board, that is what it is there for, but this one is for Expats who want to go home. Thanks Sculkin, you made my day when I read your post.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

ontheball is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by deedee
Having farmed the last 5 years, before coming to NZ, in the Highlands on the edge of the Cairngorms i have to inform you that you will be dissapointed.Crime is out of control, drugs are rife and people are fed up.If it isn't fastened down it will walk.Its the same all over Scotland and England.The rat race and pressure is as present in remote Scottish towns as it is in London.
Totally agree. Some of these expats returning to England will be in for a shock when they come back.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by sado
if your life is that great then get off this site and go for a walk in your quaint little village and mind you dont get mugged
Oh dear - didn't mean to upset you by saying that Britain is still a great place to live! Actually I've just come back from walking the dog - no problem - quite safe.

Last edited by sculkin; Nov 28th 2003 at 9:15 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 9:15 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

Originally posted by Pulaski
No, (6) would read "The weather. For 11½ months of the year it's cold and miserable."
Not this year mate

Weather has been great, spent last winter in Oz (summer there) much too hot to go out in at least here you can wrap up warm over there you just cook
Old Nov 28th 2003, 9:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

So many people scared of crime in the UK. The only time I ever had a fear of crime was when I lived near Maine Road in Manchester.

It does depend on where you live but from some posts here one might get the feeling the whole of Britain is like Moss Side.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:51 pm
Banned

sado is an unknown quantity at this point

really don;t know why your on this site sculkin seems to me life is nice and rosy in the stockbroker belt perhap if you spent less time painting your picket fence and got out and saw the world you would see what life is really all about
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:14 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
So many people scared of crime in the UK. The only time I ever had a fear of crime was when I lived near Maine Road in Manchester.

It does depend on where you live but from some posts here one might get the feeling the whole of Britain is like Moss Side.
I've encountered more crime in Spain than the 32 years I lived in London and one year in DC. I've had three burglaries, two violent and one mugging in 18 months.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:28 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom

we've been victims of crime in Scotlands highlands,the Lake District and Cambridgeshire/Suffolk villages when we've lived there.As for the Lakes,you try get insurance as a farmer there!No chance at all for anything that isn't concreted down.Trailers,quad bikes,farm machinery,Land Rovers and even stock have all gone missing Its beyond a joke,burglaries are just too common that your at risk the minute you leave the house empty.Its now worse there than when we left many years ago and then i thought it could'nt get any worse.Just my experiences though.No one can tell me rural UK is a safe place anymore,it just isn't and thats a fact.
As a member of the National Farmers Union i am well aware of rural crime having tried so desperatly to defend my own property from theiving scum.Even had cameras put up......does no good what so ever cos' theyre always in stolen vehicles with false plates and in a country of so many people you don't get many people recognise a picture of someone.The last straw was when a friend/near neighbours working dogs were shot to silence them by crims before they robbed his workshop.....which leads me to why i am no longer in good ole blighty.I wish it was different,i really do,i loved where i grew up, but it isn't.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:53 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Originally posted by deedee
we've been victims of crime in Scotlands highlands,the Lake District and Cambridgeshire/Suffolk villages when we've lived there.As for the Lakes,you try get insurance as a farmer there!No chance at all for anything that isn't concreted down.Trailers,quad bikes,farm machinery,Land Rovers and even stock have all gone missing Its beyond a joke,burglaries are just too common that your at risk the minute you leave the house empty.Its now worse there than when we left many years ago and then i thought it could'nt get any worse.Just my experiences though.No one can tell me rural UK is a safe place anymore,it just isn't and thats a fact.
As a member of the National Farmers Union i am well aware of rural crime having tried so desperatly to defend my own property from theiving scum.Even had cameras put up......does no good what so ever cos' theyre always in stolen vehicles with false plates and in a country of so many people you don't get many people recognise a picture of someone.The last straw was when a friend/near neighbours working dogs were shot to silence them by crims before they robbed his workshop.....which leads me to why i am no longer in good ole blighty.I wish it was different,i really do,i loved where i grew up, but it isn't.
I live in the Lake District and mine and my husbands (farmers) families have lived here all there lives, my parents are now in their 80's and none of them or us have ever been a victim of any sort of crime here, I am sorry you had a bad time here you were obviously very unlucky. I think this just goes to show it doesn't matter where you live in the world, crime is there and the chances are you may become a victim of it but then again you may not.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by sado
really don;t know why your on this site sculkin seems to me life is nice and rosy in the stockbroker belt perhap if you spent less time painting your picket fence and got out and saw the world you would see what life is really all about
You've no idea how much of the world I've seen or lived in. I'm on the site cos I'm interested in how other people feel and in their opinions but you're obviously not. I do live in the "stockbroker" belt but I'm no stockbroker - just happen to be born here. Same struggles as everyone else - both work hard but its worth it - I make no apologies.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 10:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sculkin
This is all just personal opinion. Don't be put off by what other people think of a place - we all want very different things. I live in the South East about 40 mins outside Central London. .....
You must have a weird definition of "village". I used to live an hour out of central London and there wasn't anything I'd recognise as a "village" within an additional half hour going outwards from London.

Of course this board is for those wanting to head home, but they should do so with open eyes, and not take too much notice of people with rose-tinted spectacles.

BTW One of the reasons I left the UK was that there were no houses that I would consider suitable for a family (combination of neighborhood and size of house/ garden) available within a reasonable (time and cost) commute of London for under around £400,000 Even if I had found a house the cost of buying it would have sucked up all my income for the forseeable future and after paying off the mortgage I'd have had nothing to show for my job but a house - no luxuries, no fancy holiday, no investments and not much of a pension. There was simply no way that I could afford a decent life in the UK.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

darwinite is an unknown quantity at this point

Sado, I don't understand why you are having a go at sculkin. What makes you think that you know what it is all about?

I have lived in many countries including Kenya, the States, Canada and Australia. I was once one of the people who desperately wanted to get out of the country because like most people I thought the life is better in another country. Only now can I see clear.

Only now have I come to realize what really matters in life and if you don't find it in your home country you are not very likely to find it somewhere else. That is my personal opinion.

There is no such thing as perfect life conditions. The good always comes with the bad, no matter where. There is no better country and no better living anywhere, it is just different. But we do give up a few things for this different life, which is family, friends, familiar things and that cannot be replaced adaquately, no matter how hard you try.

We all crave for new, exciting things and living life to the fullest and that is why you just need to try whatever your heart desires, but in the end home is home and always will be and that is where you will be most likely most comfortable. All the reasons why people emigrate should be looked at. And quite often it is things they could simply change by moving within their own country. Emigrating often is an escape from things inside you. That is sth. I have learned over the years and I do know hundreds of immigrants not only in Australia.

If you don't agree, that's fine. But let others speak out.

Last edited by darwinite; Nov 29th 2003 at 11:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.