Moving back from Australia

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from Australia

Originally Posted by toandfro
well put , but you will not get an ounce of understanding as you have again committed the cardinal sin of disagreement .
You were right
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I agree - we are certainly encouraged to come here. We are given an image of the perfect land where work and pay is plentiful. When you have spent years collecting evidence of your trade, filling in forms, going for medicals etc. not to mention to cost of it all, then you give up your home, job and security and set off across the world only to find it isn't exactly like that at all..... it's no wonder really that people do sometimes get frustrated and look for someone to blame.

I personally blame only ourselves for getting sucked in. But I do get annoyed that so much of the truth is disguised about Australia. You only have to watch the news channels here to see how they manipulate everything to look like Australia is the best at everything.

And please don't anyone call the Brits who want to go home for blaming Australia - I've never known a country like it for blaming other cultures for their problems: A magazine I was reading the other day blamed the Irish for their gambling problems, a guy on TV yesterday blamed David Beckham for the craze here for lavish kids birthday parties. The media here try to sell us the idea that all Australians are perfect, law abiding, upstanding citizens but if they do happen to do anything wrong, it's the influence of non-Aussies that made them do it.

Rosie I totally agree with you, if we can't come onto a moving back to the UK forum and get things off our chests, then where can we?
Perfectly written, LouiseD.

Does the Uk government hold fairs in Australia about moving to the UK?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:23 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Perfectly written, LouiseD.

Does the Uk government hold fairs in Australia about moving to the UK?
Yes, the UK government and private companies spend a lot of money trying to persuade professionals to move to the UK (if only temporarily). That's why you find a fair proportion of Australians working in schools, hospitals, offices, restaurants etc. But instead of pictures of beaches and koalas, the advertising uses images of Big Ben, London buses, busy cities and talks about the exciting non-stop lifestyle.

NB - well done on achieving the perfect life in Australia. And I'm not beingsarcastic! I think people can try so very hard to achieve the perfect life here, but for some reason it's falling short of their hopes and aspirations. After the effort people make to move here, and the financial commitment in involves, very few would probably not make an effort to enjoy life and get the most out of living here.

In my own case, I will keep trying for a while yet, but the bottom line is that I don't think I've been very lucky so far. I had some pretty awful experiences in the first year here that knocked my self-confidence, self-esteem and put a dampner on things. Combine that with homesickness and a realisation how much my friends in the UK meant to me and helped me to function, and I have ended up with a cocktail of disappointment.

That's not to say it can't be overcome And on that note, I am off to the pub for some cocktails (I think there should be a cocktail/wine glass smilie)
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
NB - well done on achieving the perfect life in Australia. And I'm not beingsarcastic! I think people can try so very hard to achieve the perfect life here, but for some reason it's falling short of their hopes and aspirations. After the effort people make to move here, and the financial commitment in involves, very few would probably not make an effort to enjoy life and get the most out of living here.

My life is far from perfect but I am happy here. Life is full of compromise, nowhere and nobody is perfect.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Here Here Could not agree more.Some very valid ponts I reckon!.Rosie Cheeks

Last edited by Dreamaway 10; Nov 2nd 2006 at 7:41 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Here Here Could not agree more.Some very valid ponts I reckon!.Rosie Cheeks
Thank you dreamaway, I appreciate that.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:18 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I agree - we are certainly encouraged to come here. We are given an image of the perfect land where work and pay is plentiful. When you have spent years collecting evidence of your trade, filling in forms, going for medicals etc. not to mention to cost of it all, then you give up your home, job and security and set off across the world only to find it isn't exactly like that at all..... it's no wonder really that people do sometimes get frustrated and look for someone to blame.

I personally blame only ourselves for getting sucked in. But I do get annoyed that so much of the truth is disguised about Australia. You only have to watch the news channels here to see how they manipulate everything to look like Australia is the best at everything.

And please don't anyone call the Brits who want to go home for blaming Australia - I've never known a country like it for blaming other cultures for their problems: A magazine I was reading the other day blamed the Irish for their gambling problems, a guy on TV yesterday blamed David Beckham for the craze here for lavish kids birthday parties. The media here try to sell us the idea that all Australians are perfect, law abiding, upstanding citizens but if they do happen to do anything wrong, it's the influence of non-Aussies that made them do it.

Rosie I totally agree with you, if we can't come onto a moving back to the UK forum and get things off our chests, then where can we?

A lot of truth in this post. Culturally, the British are and have long been very self critical. This is best displayed in British humour. Australia is culturally quite the reverse. Comedy is developing to buck this trend, e.g. Kath and Kim, Australian of the Year award. But for Average Joe, the insularity and parochialism remains in epic proportions. There are two types of pride, and for me, too often, Australia's pride dips into the deadly sin variety, i.e. utterly self-centred. This leads to the huge blind spot and attribution error to which you refer, which prevents Australians from seeing Australia as it really is, and attributing its problems to "non-Australian" sources.

The exposition of Australia in the media is simply a joke. I remember an article on BBC website that would have been utterly hillarious if it were any more ludicrous. Before you set off to work in your $400 glass bottomed boat via the great barrier reef and under the harbour bridge, oh and via Uluru somehow, drinking a 25cent bottle of wine and a 50cent lobster for breakfast, have a laugh at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4160570.stm. The Australian Tourism Protection Board must have caughed up a pretty penny, I mean cent, for this one.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:24 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
My life is far from perfect but I am happy here. Life is full of compromise, nowhere and nobody is perfect.
For some reason I thought you had said something about it being perfect - looking back I see that you used the slightly more prosaic 'good'. I think I quite liked the idea of someone admitting to have a perfect life, if someone has one of those there's hope for me yet
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:26 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I thought you had said something about it being perfect - looking back I see that you used the slightly more prosaic 'good'. I think I quite liked the idea of someone admitting to have a perfect life, if someone has one of those there's hope for me yet
perfection doesn't exist.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 10:48 pm
Mozzie magnet

Originally Posted by northernbird
perfection doesn't exist.
I know a few people who think they are the living embodiment of perfection
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
A lot of truth in this post. Culturally, the British are and have long been very self critical. This is best displayed in British humour. Australia is culturally quite the reverse. Comedy is developing to buck this trend, e.g. Kath and Kim, Australian of the Year award. But for Average Joe, the insularity and parochialism remains in epic proportions. There are two types of pride, and for me, too often, Australia's pride dips into the deadly sin variety, i.e. utterly self-centred. This leads to the huge blind spot and attribution error to which you refer, which prevents Australians from seeing Australia as it really is, and attributing its problems to "non-Australian" sources.

The exposition of Australia in the media is simply a joke. I remember an article on BBC website that would have been utterly hillarious if it were any more ludicrous. Before you set off to work in your $400 glass bottomed boat via the great barrier reef and under the harbour bridge, oh and via Uluru somehow, drinking a 25cent bottle of wine and a 50cent lobster for breakfast, have a laugh at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4160570.stm. The Australian Tourism Protection Board must have caughed up a pretty penny, I mean cent, for this one.
Where on Earth do those prices and salaries come from !!. We should have the BBC up in front of the Trades Description people.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:01 am
Mozzie magnet

I had to check the date and make sure it hadn't been written on 1 April.

Does the BBC not do its own research / check the 'facts' a PR person has given them (actually, as a former PR I know the answer already to this one)?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

I had to check the date and make sure it hadn't been written on 1 April.

Does the BBC not do its own research / check the 'facts' a PR person has given them (actually, as a former PR I know the answer already to this one)?
I don't know about the salaries because none are applicable to me but I don't know where they get the price of bread. I pay nearly $4 a loaf over here in Perth.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:15 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know where in Sydney you can get a house (or even an apartment) for £196,000.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:24 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know where in Sydney you can get a house (or even an apartment) for £196,000.
Townhouse or nice unit easily done in Sydney for UKP196,000. There's one in my block in Lane Cove, 2 bed, completely renovated, LUG for $400k. 'Out West' would get you a house but who the hell wants to live in Dodge City?

You'd get a townhouse in Hillsong land but you'd have to put up with God botherers, Daily Mail types and mind numbing boredom in a cultural wasteland.

Rest of the report is pure fiction. (well apart from the bread. Bread is free where I live 'cos the wife works for GWF )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.