Moving back from Australia

Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:21 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back from Australia

Having never been to Australia in my life and never likely to go, I'd like to ask all the returnees.....

.....what's wrong with it? There seeem to be a lot of you coming back!

My friend here in Spain goes to work in Australia for three months every year and she hates the place too. She says the people are racist and the place is boring.

What are your opinions?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:41 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back from Australia

Originally Posted by scampicat
Having never been to Australia in my life and never likely to go, I'd like to ask all the returnees.....

My friend here in Spain goes to work in Australia for three months every year and she hates the place too. She says the people are racist and the place is boring.

What are your opinions?
Yes, it is a bit of a hot, dry, dusty, boring bowl, parochial, narrow-minded, and now that summer's here - full of flies.

Other than it's great! BBQs and beaches a plenty - if that floats your boat.

It's so far away from everywhere else in the world - you really have to be happy that you will be living and holidaying in the same country for the rest of your life - unless you have shed loads of dosh to pay airfares.

It's not what some people think it is.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:04 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Yes, it is a bit of a hot, dry, dusty, boring bowl, parochial, narrow-minded, and now that summer's here - full of flies.

It's so far away from everywhere else in the world - you really have to be happy that you will be living and holidaying in the same country for the rest of your life - unless you have shed loads of dosh to pay airfares.

Yes, I would not like to be so far away from my son. We chose Spain as it seemed the best place...not too far from the rest of Europe and we can drive back to the UK if we wish.

It's dry and dusty here in southern Spain, but certainly not boring and the people are SOOOO friendly and welcoming.

I'd be interested to hear more points of view!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:46 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

What are your opinions?
In the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney the people were not racist, but go out to the suburbs or to regional towns and it is a different matter. As for being boring, it depends what you like. I was bored. It was a feeling of being on a small island on a big island. That's just me, many others love it.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

What are your opinions?
It really is difficult to concisely state what is wrong with Australia.

It could be that there are lots people living here who don't really like it all that much and would rather be somewhere else. This in itself creates a feeling that permeates and influences the general culture. There is no doubt that Australia is an absolutely fantastic holiday destination, but everyday life here does in no way reflect that. It comes as a huge surprise to many that the projected image of Australia isn't the reality of day to day living for most residents. We are told, in fact it is rammed down our throats, what the national identity is, and that is what they (the government) want it to be, not what it really is. It hasn't had time to evolve, so they have to enforce it to encourage people to populate the place.

I would say that most people don't "hate" it here as such, its just not quite right, and they are desperate to go back home. I haven't been back to the UK for a holiday as it is so expensive to do so, and I have been here for more than five years. Nearly every single day I long for home in the UK, the beautiful countryside, the people, the humour, the cultural feel, the fresher weather; the humidity here isn't my cup of tea.

A sense of humour amongst the folk is just so absent its not funny.

I am really am trying my best to persuade myself to love it here, but I am failing miserably! I just don't seem to fit in here in Australia, try as I might.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
In the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney the people were not racist, but go out to the suburbs or to regional towns and it is a different matter. As for being boring, it depends what you like. I was bored. It was a feeling of being on a small island on a big island. That's just me, many others love it.
It is boring and dull. I am trying to jolly along, but it's not going to last forever, as pretending to be jolly isn't the same actually being jolly.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
It is boring and dull. I am trying to jolly along, but it's not going to last forever, as pretending to be jolly isn't the same actually being jolly.
Very true; there comes a point where you find you are just tired of trying to force it. I can feel it happening to me - I'm falling into a rut where I have forgotten how to have fun, forgotten how to enjoy myself, and can almost no longer be bothered to make an effort with life. I don't feel I'm "living" any more, just "existing".
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:39 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Yes, it is a bit of a hot, dry, dusty, boring bowl.

Good heavens , you have pretty much described Dubai!!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very true; there comes a point where you find you are just tired of trying to force it. I can feel it happening to me - I'm falling into a rut where I have forgotten how to have fun, forgotten how to enjoy myself, and can almost no longer be bothered to make an effort with life. I don't feel I'm "living" any more, just "existing".
I have to keep up the 'happy' act for my kids, the oldest one who is nearly six is very switched on and very bright. He knows its fake, hes not silly, that can't be good for him surely.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:00 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Wow so many people feel the same as me

Here's my plan, since we all know what makes the UK great and what we miss.

We all return within a 18mth period, and form a political party and make it our platform to extoll the virtues of the UK. First act when we're in power, close down the Daily Mail (I'd suggest locking up anyone who reads it, but my parents read it, oh but hang on, there was that time when I was 6yrs old.... )

OR we just go home and go to the pub. either is good
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:15 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

What are your opinions?
There's also a lot of people leaving the UK.....what's wrong with it?

My friend here in the UK goes to work in UK for 12 months every year and she hates the place . She says the people are racist and the place is boring.

What are your opinions ?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:22 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Life is for living ... you get out of it what you put into it ... stop feeling sorry for yourself and start living
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:03 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Life is for living ... you get out of it what you put into it ... stop feeling sorry for yourself and start living
Great advice - I hope Pollyana doesn't mind if I borrow it! I've made a big notice 'Stop feeling sorry for myself' and put in on my computer screen. Unfortunately, I can't see the screen itself now so I won't be able to read any more of your pearls of wisdom and compassionate advice. Shame.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:05 pm
Ex Expat

What are your opinions?
Wow...so many replies!

Thank you all for sharing your hearts with me.

I'll share mine with you: I love my village here in the sticks in southern Spain, but I don't want to be old or die here (because however much I like it, it is not my home). Luckily we did not sell up to come here, we still have our terraced house in a West Midlands city - our son lives in it with two lodgers and looks after it for us. At some point in the next few years we will spend our time 60-40 between UK and Spain. Now, I know we couldn't do that if we were as far away as Australia - we could not afford it.

From what you've all said it appears as though you live in everlasting suburbs. Now I hate suburbs, even in the UK...I'd rather live in the city (like my UK house) or miles away from it (like my Spanish house).

From what you all and my friend has said, I'm really glad we decided not to go there when we were younger. We did consider it, but because my husband's mum was on her own with no relatives that she would acknowledge, decided against it.

I hope you all find happiness in whatever forn it takes. Thankyou for replying to my thread.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:08 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

At some point in the next few years we will spend our time 60-40 between UK and Spain.
That sounds bliss! You'll get the best of both worlds, good luck with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.