Moving back from Australia

Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving back from Australia

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't agree with the Australians behaving like that in another country, it is inappropriate and disrespectful. I don't like the Australians going around in supermarkets barefoot either but I fully respect their right to do it in their country without a load of visitors to their country slagging them off for it.
I didn't slag them off for having bare feet.It seemed a bit inappropriate to but shoes! Barefeet is an Australian cultural thing and so be it.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

although Australia is larger than england the population isn't. Someone saying they think australia is crap when they have only lived in Sydney is no different to someone saying England is crap when they have only been to London.
If they have only BEEN to London for a visit, and not had to live there, there is a difference.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:43 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
If they have only BEEN to London for a visit, and not had to live there, there is a difference.
true enough
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Am I bovvered? Aye, I'm bovvered! This is Catherine Tate:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/ta...atherine.shtml
See, been stuck in the back of beyond for far too long. Never heard of her here in Australia.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busterboy
I will say it again England is not crap, my life there was. Australia is not perfect, my life here is. Simple as, end of.

Strangely NB, this is the theme that I have picked up on pretty much all of your posts....there is a lot of selective reading going on.[/QUOTE]

Well said
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

I am also English and proud of it and certainly don't deny my heritage.

I have made it clear in every post I make that I understand how people can miss their families, how people struggle to find work and make ends meet ($3000 a month mortgage is testament to how I understand). How their kids struggle to settle, how the education is different here. I understand all those things, honestly I do. However, I don't understand why you all have to resort to slagging off Australia. It is not the perfect place, nowhere is but please be man (or woman) enough to just put your hand up and say its not for you rather than slagging the country and its people off. We brits love having someone to blame for everything don't you think.
Many would agree that Australia is not the perfect place, and I have many times stated that I feel like I don't fit in and that I have given it a really good chance. You say you fit in because you have tried, well I have have tried too and it still isn't falling into place for me. You say you understand, so can you understand that?
This forum for me is a way of getting things off my chest because I am surrounded by Aussies who don't have any interest in my 'pommy' opinions.
You will only understand homesickness if you have suffered or are suffering from it. You love Australia, right? Well imagine if you were taken away from here for five years to a country were you felt trapped, with no prospect of leaving any time soon, even though you were desperate to.
Were you annoyed that we were all getting on so well in our discussions? Putting our opinions out there and discussing them openly and honestly. In the main, some interesting subjects, set off by a good opening post. The approach you appear to have taken is reminisent of my Aussie in laws attitude. See my other posts. It appears that we are not permitted in your company to say nice things about the UK and bad things about Australia.
I don't love having someone to blame for everything, but I will blame you for unpleasant direction this discussion has taken.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Many would agree that Australia is not the perfect place, and I have many times stated that I feel like I don't fit in and that I have given it a really good chance. You say you fit in because you have tried, well I have have tried too and it still isn't falling into place for me. You say you understand, so can you understand that?
This forum for me is a way of getting things off my chest because I am surrounded by Aussies who don't have any interest in my 'pommy' opinions.
You will only understand homesickness if you have suffered or are suffering from it. You love Australia, right? Well imagine if you were taken away from here for five years to a country were you felt trapped, with no prospect of leaving any time soon, even though you were desperate to.
Were you annoyed that we were all getting on so well in our discussions? Putting our opinions out there and discussing them openly and honestly. In the main, some interesting subjects, set off by a good opening post. The approach you appear to have taken is reminisent of my Aussie in laws attitude. See my other posts. It appears that we are not permitted in your company to say nice things about the UK and bad things about Australia.
I don't love having someone to blame for everything, but I will blame you for unpleasant direction this discussion has taken.
Fair enough. Although I don't ever recall saying anyone couldn't say anything about anywhere.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:54 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

well put , but you will not get an ounce of understanding as you have again committed the cardinal sin of disagreement .
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Strangely NB, this is the theme that I have picked up on pretty much all of your posts....there is a lot of selective reading going on.
Well said[/QUOTE]Yes isn't that the truth!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busterboy
So you are berating her for being a card carrying Aussie lover and now you are berating her for having some moments where she misses home. She's human!

I really don't get where you guys are reading a lack of balance in NBs posts, I think that they have been very fair. NB has gone to Oz with an attitude of 'well, I'm here now and it's Oz not Blighty' and I think that is why she is so well adapted. I don't read that she hates the UK just that prefers Oz.
She is human then let people have their say on their feelings and why.That's what the forum is about.Not hijacking it to have a go at people that don't love it has she claims she does.Her posts are provocative .Other people on this forum human feelings too.Well adapted?? I wonder.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough. Although I don't ever recall saying anyone couldn't say anything about anywhere.
To Northernbird. I really loved Perth when I went to visit there ten years ago, and I stayed with a friend who showed me around. Had a brilliant time, it was the first time I had tried Thai food, never saw it the UK at all. The beaches, the ocean and the whether are all stunning, and we drove down to Margaret River, what a brilliant holiday. You are fortunate to live there. And it is very true to say that if you are comparing the place with a hideously depressing place in the Uk, then Perth wins the argument everytime.
I didn't live a hideously depressing life in the UK, I lived in a very nice area, with an extremely good job, I gave it all up and I came to Australia very open minded. I wasn't escaping from a rubbish life, I came here because I could. Maybe that is why I am so disappointed with the way things are here for me. I feel trapped and stressed, I can't even go home for a holiday. I don't have a bad attitude towards the place, I know it is Australia and it isn't Britain.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

To Northernbird. I really loved Perth when I went to visit there ten years ago, and I stayed with a friend who showed me around. Had a brilliant time, it was the first time I had tried Thai food, never saw it the UK at all. The beaches, the ocean and the whether are all stunning, and we drove down to Margaret River, what a brilliant holiday. You are fortunate to live there. And it is very true to say that if you are comparing the place with a hideously depressing place in the Uk, then Perth wins the argument everytime.
I didn't live a hideously depressing life in the UK, I lived in a very nice area, with an extremely good job, I gave it all up and I came to Australia very open minded. I wasn't escaping from a rubbish life, I came here because I could. Maybe that is why I am so disappointed with the way things are here for me. I feel trapped and stressed, I can't even go home for a holiday. I don't have a bad attitude towards the place, I know it is Australia and it isn't Britain.
Fair enough.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:19 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't ever recall saying anyone couldn't say anything about anywhere
No, but common sense should tell you that constantly beating the Aussie drum in a forum where people are not happy with Oz is always going to give you some grief. I don't do the cross forum thing as I think it's petty and does not display qualities of empathy. Whatever happens in one forum should stay there IMO. You obviously have good things to say about Oz, but there is a place for that, and here isn't it.

You're trying to give us Frente's 'Accidentally Kelly Street when every one here is thinking Lily Allen's 'Lon'
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:21 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by FPM
No, but common sense should tell you that constantly beating the Aussie drum in a forum where people are not happy with Oz is always going to give you some grief. I don't do the cross forum thing as I think it's petty and does not display qualities of empathy. Whatever happens in one forum should stay there IMO. You obviously have good things to say about Oz, but there is a place for that, and here isn't it.

You're trying to give us Frente's 'Accidentally Kelly Street when every one here is thinking Lily Allen's 'Lon'
fair enough.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:25 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by by the sea side
In Britain the Australian government holds fairs about moving to oz.We want this trade and that trade and of course they put forward money and life style has bieng better.They should really inform people about having to get extra licenses for certain trades.Also many Aussies are so brainwashed into bieng over protectionist that some English people find it difficult to get a job.Jobs for Australians and all that.In the Uk you get Australians working every where I have no problem with this but even on tv you will get the resident vet on gmtv he's australian.Youngman on East Midlands tv doing his spot on environmental issues of the East Midlands.I don't have a problem with that.The Australians do.Please tell me do you really think they would allow the same thing here? The answer is no!It would be "Why is a pom doing it when we have Australians that can do it".This is what me angry because there is not a fair exchange between the two countries.
I agree - we are certainly encouraged to come here. We are given an image of the perfect land where work and pay is plentiful. When you have spent years collecting evidence of your trade, filling in forms, going for medicals etc. not to mention to cost of it all, then you give up your home, job and security and set off across the world only to find it isn't exactly like that at all..... it's no wonder really that people do sometimes get frustrated and look for someone to blame.

I personally blame only ourselves for getting sucked in. But I do get annoyed that so much of the truth is disguised about Australia. You only have to watch the news channels here to see how they manipulate everything to look like Australia is the best at everything.

And please don't anyone call the Brits who want to go home for blaming Australia - I've never known a country like it for blaming other cultures for their problems: A magazine I was reading the other day blamed the Irish for their gambling problems, a guy on TV yesterday blamed David Beckham for the craze here for lavish kids birthday parties. The media here try to sell us the idea that all Australians are perfect, law abiding, upstanding citizens but if they do happen to do anything wrong, it's the influence of non-Aussies that made them do it.

Rosie I totally agree with you, if we can't come onto a moving back to the UK forum and get things off our chests, then where can we?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.