Location, location, location

Old May 25th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by cheers
Weeeellllll..... the location's good; half a mile to the Railway Station. Given the one-of (that one-off drives me crazy) costs, I would probably rent as a temporary solution rather than buy. Much easier to make that next move.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Is there a fee in the UK when selling a retirement property?

Here when you sell, the return could well be only 75% of what you paid. It then makes it difficult to buy elsewhere.
A typical fee seems to be around 3% but I have seen as high as 10% where the freeholder/operator buys the property back from you or your estate. The rationale for this high fee is that it gives the freeholder a vested interest in keeping the property in good shape.
Old May 25th 2011, 10:18 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thank you for that interesting report.

This is by far the thing that I struggle with the most. It is not so much the actual house size (though this is a problem for me too), but the feeling that you are surrounded by other houses with very little breathing room in many cases, and a general feeling of crowdedness.

A a result I feel that will have to choose the area I live in based upon available space rather than some of the other factors that are important to me. A bit of a dilemma .

Though it's no doubt controversial to say so, I do not feel that the UK can support mass immigration given the space that's available. It is not an issue of nationality or race, purely space. It's a bit like trying to cram people into a lift.
The crowdedness of UK worries me too. Better not to think too much of the fact that the population in Canada - the second largest land mass in the world or thereabouts - is about half of the population of tiddly UK.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Too late for that cheers and you couldn't do it anyway under bonkers EU laws which are at the very root of the point of the EU.

Stable door was left open and the horse is long gone. Two million have already arrived in the last ten years. The bed has been made so we (if we move back) have to lie in it.

Excuse the metaphors!

The problem now is that as a gesture to try and reduce inwards migration they will probably cut off those migrants that the UK actually needs to sustain the technologies that are needed for the UK to stand a chance of recovery.
I have been wondering if/how this might change and checked the emigration stats. You would think that all those people who are whining about how broken Britain is might be leaving in droves. Not happening. In fact emigration is falling.

There do seem to be changings afoot in the EU. Looks as though Greece's default on their debt is not going to be tolerated... and others are in difficult circumstances too. Perhaps the EU will unravel. At least the UK was smart enough to hang onto £ sterling.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been wondering if/how this might change and checked the emigration stats. You would think that all those people who are whining about how broken Britain is might be leaving in droves. Not happening. In fact emigration is falling.

There do seem to be changings afoot in the EU. Looks as though Greece's default on their debt is not going to be tolerated... and others are in difficult circumstances too. Perhaps the EU will unravel. At least the UK was smart enough to hang onto £ sterling.
Surely a big number in the emigration stats represents folks retiring to the sun and that sun is in Provence, The Algarve and in Spain which are in Euroland. The previous drove are finding it very tough as their Sterling pensions are not buying anything near as much and they are now considering returning while the next shift are putting the move on hold with property a problem at both ends - hence the drop.

Working migrants are probably not finding as many vacancies in the typical Anglo destinations of Canada, US and Australia plus prices in Australia appear sky-high. NZ seems to be out of vogue, for obvious reasons. People are looking to come to St Lucia for heaven's sake!

It seems Greece will reschedule its debt rather than default.
Old May 26th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Surely a big number in the emigration stats represents folks retiring to the sun and that sun is in Provence, The Algarve and in Spain which are in Euroland. The previous drove are finding it very tough as their Sterling pensions are not buying anything near as much and they are now considering returning while the next shift are putting the move on hold with property a problem at both ends - hence the drop.

Working migrants are probably not finding as many vacancies in the typical Anglo destinations of Canada, US and Australia plus prices in Australia appear sky-high. NZ seems to be out of vogue, for obvious reasons. People are looking to come to St Lucia for heaven's sake!

I was looking at UK only so those people heading to France, Spain et al would have been included in the stats.

Take a look at this and how the situation has changed since the early 90s :

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=260
Old May 26th 2011, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31583714.html

More for your money and around £200K

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-16163592.html love this one. Clean, well lit nice garden, bus stop.

Last edited by cheers; May 26th 2011 at 3:45 am.
Old May 26th 2011, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anishq
The crowdedness of UK worries me too. Better not to think too much of the fact that the population in Canada - the second largest land mass in the world or thereabouts - is about half of the population of tiddly UK.
Doesn't bear thinking about... so I'll try not to.
Old May 26th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Wall Street Journal doesn't sound so sure. Do you think this is Murdoch stirring the pot, Pete?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

(I just read this old but fascinating article about Murdoch's take over of the Wall Street Journal, which he alwys had his eye on, and how he slowly insunated his own man... Thomson.)
Old May 26th 2011, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Congratulations ... they are all on busy roads or rail line.
1) Definitely not into contemporary... but that could be changed.
2) Can't remember it.
3) Like the idea of a window in the bathroom but not floor to ceiling facing the main road where you can flash the passers by.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

After wandering the internet looking at flats in towns around the countryside, value for money still seems to be in my home town of Torquay.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18771066.html

This place is well located, just where I would like to be, but the service charge is steep, I don't know how they can justify it. http://tinyurl.com/3j5yajt

For a spot of interest, the U-shaped Asheldon Road is the same road where the Monty Python crew stayed prompting the series Fawlty Towers. I know it well from my teenage years. http://www.hotel-gleneagles.com/
Old May 26th 2011, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

After wandering the internet looking at flats in towns around the countryside, value for money still seems to be in my home town of Torquay.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18771066.html

This place is well located, just where I would like to be, but the service charge is steep, I don't know how they can justify it. http://tinyurl.com/3j5yajt

For a spot of interest, the U-shaped Asheldon Road is the same road where the Monty Python crew stayed prompting the series Fawlty Towers. I know it well from my teenage years. http://www.hotel-gleneagles.com/
The first one has great views and nice atmosphere.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

The first one has great views and nice atmosphere.
Less than half the fees too! Close to the town centre and good transport, yet in a quiet cul-de-sac away from the yobs. And five minutes or so walk away is a park with bowling greens and tennis courts, I played there before I came to Australia. I also know of a table tennis club in the area, so all in all, a place I would seriously consider if I didn't have my house here to sell first.
Old May 26th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Less than half the fees too! Close to the town centre and good transport, yet in a quiet cul-de-sac away from the yobs. And five minutes or so walk away is a park with bowling greens and tennis courts, I played there before I came to Australia. I also know of a table tennis club in the area, so all in all, a place I would seriously consider if I didn't have my house here to sell first.
You just want to be near to the football ground, don't you.
Old May 26th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

You just want to be near to the football ground, don't you.
The Torquay United ground is at Plainmoor, I went there just once in my life in the 1950s, and had a free ticket. They lost 1-0 !! I sometimes wonder why they bother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.