Location, location, location

Old May 15th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by windsong
I agree with you. You have a roof, not a home, when you rent - and you can get kicked out quite easily if things take a down turn such as losing your job.

Also, there are not just monetary factors to consider, especially as you get older. There is the feeling of safety and security and I think that comes with owning and not renting - if you can do it, of course.

I am also wondering, if you are in a situation where you have to rent, is it "safer" to rent in the UK rather than the USA? I think in the UK if the worst happens and you can't pay rent for whatever reason - losing a job perhaps - there are benefits that kick in to pay them for you. I don't know if this only applies to council properties, though.

Yes, I am looking at the worst scenarios because I want to know the ins and outs of everything before I make the move
If you have less than 16,000 pounds in savings you can claim UK housing benefit for payment of rent.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
But the whole point of this discussion really is due to the predicament today! Interest rates are almost zero, mortgage lending is tight and the UK economy is showing zero growth potential and the Government is about to start letting people go big-time. So nobody seems to be talking capital appreciation.

IF the Tories have got their game plan dead right then we might start to see something before the end of this parliament but that's a big IF.

I was one of the first to promote this discussion to initiate the uninitiated and it was only for the above reason, apart from as per cheers piece, it also offers more flexibility when this may be key for some seeking employment and also those who are not entirely settled as to where they want to finally relocate to.
Yes, that was my point, too. Articles about the typical "break-even" period for buying being 5 years (as per Cheer's link) are moot - currently, absolutely if you buy you will likely need to hold on for 5 years (or more). So currently, better to rent. In 2001? Absolutely not.

Most current mortgage rates (new mortgages) aren't that much better than when BOE was about 3% higher, because whereas margins were .5% in 2007, now they are more like 3%-5%, with a large deposit, and fixed-term (so when BOE is at 3-4% again, these new mortgages will suck big-time).

Better to rent at the moment.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Most current mortgage rates (new mortgages) aren't that much better than when BOE was about 3% higher, because whereas margins were .5% in 2007, now they are more like 3%-5%, with a large deposit, and fixed-term (so when BOE is at 3-4% again, these new mortgages will suck big-time).
Unfortunately this greedy bank (like they were ever not greedy ) problem is going to persist for a while yet. There is less lending capacity than there was before the crunch as some players have disappeared, the banks have larger capital requirements to meet stress tests etc. and they are in any event rebuilding their capital bases after the beating most of them took.

With increased borrower default risk their lending cash is typically just side-lined in spite of the Governments "insistence" on their meeting lending targets.

Until we see some big new players in lending, nothing is likely to improve before the overall economy does.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

If you have less than 16,000 pounds in savings you can claim UK housing benefit for payment of rent.
Even if it is a private property you are renting and not a council property?
Old May 15th 2011, 7:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

According to the program last week on the housing rental crisis, yes. They may not pay the full rent but you get a rental allowance (which may or may not pay the full rental amount).
Old May 15th 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

See the standard rules, as reported by Tunbridge Wells.

http://www2.tunbridgewells.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=545

I had to go to Bristol City Council to see that Council Tenants go through the same Housing Benefit channels to get relief from rent when in difficulties.

The rules state that if you have already been means tested for Guarantee Pension Credit the 16,000 pound capital limit does not apply*.

*Means testing appears to be on the way out for Pension Credit as in fact is the Pension Credit under the planned new standard pension rules (140 per week for everybody paid up) which are at discussion stage.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 15th 2011 at 7:18 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

According to the program last week on the housing rental crisis, yes. They may not pay the full rent but you get a rental allowance (which may or may not pay the full rental amount).
Thank you. So it would be "assistance" at least.

Heavens, the worst may never happen but it is good to know what is available if it did. I am concerned about having myself covered for the first year over there because I am anticipating a few changes - jobs, locations, housing - etc. - might occur within that first year so I want to be prepared.

After the first year, I think I would be fine, though.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

See the standard rules, as reported by Tunbridge Wells.

http://www2.tunbridgewells.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=545

I had to go to Bristol City Council to see that Council Tenants go through the same Housing Benefit channels to get relief from rent when in difficulties.

The rules state that if you have already been means tested for Guarantee Pension Credit the 16,000 pound capital limit does not apply*.

*Means testing appears to be on the way out for Pension Credit as in fact is the Pension Credit under the planned new standard pension rules (140 per week for everybody paid up) which are at discussion stage.
If I were to go over to the UK within the next year, it means I would be going without having paid into the UK pension system at all (except for my first 2-3 years of working there years ago). As such, would I still have to be "means tested" (whatever that means)? I would not be receiving a UK state pension, so I am not sure it would apply to me.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:23 pm
Ping-ponger

Thank you. So it would be "assistance" at least.

Heavens, the worst may never happen but it is good to know what is available if it did. I am concerned about having myself covered for the first year over there because I am anticipating a few changes - jobs, locations, housing - etc. - might occur within that first year so I want to be prepared.

After the first year, I think I would be fine, though.
Just to clarify, I wasn't commenting on the £16k threshold - Pete gave you the link to look that up. I was just saying that as far as housing benefit is concerned, they don't differentiate between whether you ar renting council housing or the private sector.

There is such a shortage of council housing since Maggie sold off half of the council housing stock that they government can't reasonably differentiate.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:24 pm
Ping-ponger

If I were to go over to the UK within the next year, it means I would be going without having paid into the UK pension system at all (except for my first 2-3 years of working there years ago). As such, would I still have to be "means tested" (whatever that means)? I would not be receiving a UK state pension, so I am not sure it would apply to me.
Means tested for what? Benefits?
Old May 15th 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just to clarify, I wasn't commenting on the £16k threshold - Pete gave you the link to look that up. I was just saying that as far as housing benefit is concerned, they don't differentiate between whether you ar renting council housing or the private sector.

There is such a shortage of council housing since Maggie sold off half of the council housing stock that they government can't reasonably differentiate.
Thank you for clarifying that. It answered my question about the public/private sector.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Means tested for what? Benefits?
For Guarantee Pension Credit since, if I move there within the next 12 months, I will have paid in no additional monies to the pension system. So far I have only paid in during my first 2-3 years of working in the UK - 30 yrs ago.

Perhaps being eligible for Guarantee Pension Credits is something different entirely. I admit to being a bit confused about all this.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

For Guarantee Pension Credit since, if I move there within the next 12 months, I will have paid in no additional monies to the pension system. So far I have only paid in during my first 2-3 years of working in the UK - 30 yrs ago.

Perhaps being eligible for Guarantee Pension Credits is something different entirely. I admit to being a bit confused about all this.
I only bring up such matters as Pension Credits because there are other people who might be entitled to a pension and therefore Pension Credits checking in on this "public" forum who we have to anticipate. This particularly as we started off with the 16,000 cap on savings.

If you are not near pensionable age it's irrelevant to you.

FYI, I personally always post extra details (if considered appropriate) for general purposes to make it broader use and not just in response to the person I'm quoting.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have to admit that I too am a bit confused about the implementation of the planned new pension rules.

HOWEVER, since I don't go pensionable age until 2016 I will wait until I see the media come out with something definitive later this year.

If they plan to withdraw mean testing and give everybody who has made the 30 years conts a full pension which roughly equates to the current pension plus the pension credit, what happens to those who have not made adequate pension provision? Do they bail them out anyway under some other sort of means testing? If they do, why pay contributions now to catch-up?

Windsong, I don't think you get any State Pension based upon your contributions so it is a valid question as to what the State will provide for you in such circumstances.

General, If one is not working and there is still a while to pensionable age the Class 3 NIConts are expensive at over 12.60 per week so the decision to pay may just be marginal if finances are tight. However, if working, the Class 2 conts are just 2.50 per week.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 15th 2011 at 8:05 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 7:51 pm
Ping-ponger

We're getting slightly OT, but for people needing good financial/pension advice, the Which? guides to pensions and personal finance are pretty good (though at the rate things seem to be changing, they'll need to revise it every few months!).

Also, Martin's Money Tips site is an excellent suorce of advice:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.