Location, location, location

Old May 13th 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by johnh009
On the positive side, in some areas, many of the pubs are closing down or at least being converted into family restaurants. One pub near me is being converted into a senior's home. I saw a townhouse in York that appealed to me. When I took a look at it on Google Maps street view, I noticed it was sandwiched between a couple of pubs. Not for me.

Here is a report on pub closures. I think that because of cheap supermarket booze, many are inclined to stay home and get pickled.

http://www.beerandpub.com/newsList_d...spx?newsId=317
Most definitely pubs are closing and this trend will continue which is a problem for those of us who see a quiet pulled pint in a decent village pub as part of a way of life.

But like York, Canterbury is a thriving university city full of students so the demand for drinking establishments has not wavered much in spite of what the supermarkets are up to. I certainly don't see any closing and restaurants are still opening. The two Wetherspoons outlets are rammed most of the time. This part of Kent is unlikely to lose its beer drinkering tradition with Faversham (Shepherd Neame) so close by. Local artisan breweries are springing up too. A lot of it is down to the new commutability and the regeneration of the (once pretty grotty) city that has taken place over the last ten years in anticipation of the new faster link to London.

However, the pub culture lot are not about savouring the quality of the local brew and beer swilling, louts and (some) chavs is a powerful cocktail all of its own. Scary after dark in particular! Faversham is much smaller but has its share too.

I am always very careful to spot the pub (and the church) really early when looking at property. They both can bring no end of noise (not the church bells) and traffic problems etc.etc..

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 13th 2011 at 9:23 pm.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends in Faversham/Oare , although I am from the North, if I go back to the UK I am considering living there.
Old May 13th 2011, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I am always very careful to spot the pub (and the church) really early when looking at property. They both can bring no end of noise (not the church bells) and traffic problems etc.etc..
Fair dinkum. When they built a large church close to my house in Canada, it sent house prices sky high. It seems many people like to be within walking distance of the church. Personally, I am not so sure I would pay a premium for the privilege. I was pleased though as I was selling at the time but I know what you mean about the traffic. When I was a less experienced home buyer, I once bought a house near a fish and chip shop. That is something else to avoid. I had people using my drive as a short term car park, litter, noise, and vandalism as that was the first place people headed when the pubs closed.

Last edited by johnh009; May 13th 2011 at 10:29 pm.
Old May 13th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair dinkum. When they built a large church close to my house in Canada, it sent house prices sky high. It seems many people like to be within walking distance of the church. Personally, I am not so sure I would pay a premium for the privilege. I was pleased though as I was selling at the time but I know what you mean about the traffic. When I was a less experienced home buyer, I once bought a house near a fish and chip shop. That is something else to avoid. I had people using my drive as a short term car park, litter, noise, and vandalism as that was the first place people headed when the pubs closed.
And to think it was only the other day on here I was thinking that being close to the rather sedate chippie was a positive.

As I recall it was indeed the (mobile) F&C and the (not so mobile) Indian that we headed for when the pubs closed.
Old May 14th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

And to think it was only the other day on here I was thinking that being close to the rather sedate chippie was a positive.

As I recall it was indeed the (mobile) F&C and the (not so mobile) Indian that we headed for when the pubs closed.
What I found was that fish and chip shops, like country pubs with thatched roofs, can be quite quaint through the day, especially in summer when the sun is shining. But, on a night, especially when the pubs close, watch out. My mother lives in a small tourist town in Yorkshire. If you were to check it out through the day, you may be suitably impressed. If you were to go there at 11 PM, you may have a different opinion. Yobs will even come from other towns if there are late night eateries.

Last edited by johnh009; May 14th 2011 at 8:01 am.
Old May 14th 2011, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I have friends in Faversham/Oare , although I am from the North, if I go back to the UK I am considering living there.
I don't know Oare well having only been out there a couple of times. I typically only got as far as The Brents which is on the north side of the creek which now has apartments bordering it.

At one time I was interested in sending my son to Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School which is off Abbey Street which is a street I like. This property (which is outside my budget ) is on Abbey Street but you get the picture. Abbey Place at the far end has nice property as well and one can be away from the crowds, even though there is a very good and popular pub (The Anchor) up there.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-23238148.html

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 14th 2011 at 11:17 am.
Old May 14th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Oare well having only been out there a couple of times. I typically only got as far as The Brents which is on the north side of the creek which now has apartments bordering it.

At one time I was interested in sending my son to Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School which is off Abbey Street which is a street I like. This property (which is outside my budget ) is on Abbey Street but you get the picture. Abbey Place at the far end has nice property as well and one can be away from the crowds, even though there is a very good and popular pub (The Anchor) up there.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-23238148.html
It looks to be very central.

Meanwhile I found this affordable flat also in Faversham. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true I just wonder what the administration fees are, probably high for this building. However, I don't consider any place which doesn't have a walk-in shower.
Old May 14th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries

Meanwhile I found this affordable flat also in Faversham. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true I just wonder what the administration fees are, probably high for this building. However, I don't consider any place which doesn't have a walk-in shower.
I'm having trouble finding that walk-in shower for you. Very central (close to everything (Tesco, other shops, station, the creek, the farmer's market)) but a retirement property is this two bed with walk-in:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32773637.html
Old May 14th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I like that place I have been looking at this flat also, ( cheaper ).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
Old May 14th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you got a good deal on the property you could always have one installed
Old May 14th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here's a typical buyer's dilemma listing which has been discussed on here before for this specific property.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29893346.html

V Close to the primary school
V Close to the church
In a road bottle-neck - how much traffic?
How long will the village store be there? There is a pub up the road (for how long?)

Actually called the agent about this one to discuss these "issues". I saw another property fairly close by that was actually at the gate of a church and attached to the church hall and adjoining the cemetery. Imagine Sundays and funerals!. It's been removed now but was on the market for well over six months. Lovely property in itself!
Old May 14th 2011, 3:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I like that place I have been looking at this flat also, ( cheaper ).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
What the heck is that in picture 8? Is that where the bodies are hidden?
Old May 14th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
Ha Ha I think it's one of the bedrooms, we would have called that a boxroom where I grew up. It has a cellar and a garage though, anyway they are asking 105k which seems reasonable.
Old May 14th 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
And, on the plan in slide 7, there is no irregular shaped room (as in 8) with an exterior window at the narrow end.
Old May 14th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hidden bodies and all, do you think this would be a good place for a single person ? Obviously I would physically check the property/area beforehand, ( I'm going back for a visit in 2 weeks ).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.