Location, location, location

Old May 14th 2011, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Hidden bodies and all, do you think this would be a good place for a single person ? Obviously I would physically check the property/area beforehand, ( I'm going back for a visit in 2 weeks ).
This is the best value I have seen in the UK. I have actually visted these apartments, they are set into the Malvern Hills and they have a 2 bedroom unit for 130,000 GBp. Unlike with many properties, the price quoted is for the most expensive unit and not the cheapest. The construction/renovation work is also top end with high ceilings. On this occasion, the photos do not do the property justice, go into the street view.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-29584252.html

Last edited by johnh009; May 14th 2011 at 10:25 pm.
Old May 14th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

We are in Scotland just outside Glasgow. We put our house on the market in October 2010. It's a 3 bedroom mid terrace with large garden in walk in condition. Unfortunately the market here is very very slow. We have had 4 viewings so far and it's on the market at £10k below market price. Others in the area have started drastically slashing their prices ina n effort to sell but it hasn't really made much of a difference in my area as they are still on the market. We are just not willing to sell our house at a loss right now so we have had to organise to rent it out for 2 years and then hopefully the market will have picked up and we can try to sell again. It's not ideal but renting for 2 years in Canada will make our own home all the more sweeter when we finally can buy it.
Good luck to all of you who are selling.

Last edited by cheers; May 14th 2011 at 11:38 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I'm having trouble finding that walk-in shower for you. Very central (close to everything (Tesco, other shops, station, the creek, the farmer's market)) but a retirement property is this two bed with walk-in:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32773637.html
Yes, that one would be adequate and suitable for my needs, close to the shops yet not among them. I'm still preparing my house here to sell, so unfortunately can't pop along there to take a look.

I like that place I have been looking at this flat also, ( cheaper ).

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
Lots of space, but is ground floor fronting onto the street, and at crossroads with traffic lights. I expect the low price reflects the location.

If you got a good deal on the property you could always have one installed
Very true, I would have to brush-up my bargaining skills to make it worthwhile. Also depends on management fees.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I have been trying to investigate places to rent where I can live and have studio space (in my usual areas of interest... Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset) and I am not having much luck so any help appreciated.

A few of the places I have seen have a large enough outbuilding to use for studio space. A loft might be good but I need a wet area too.

Funnily enough there are quite a few places in London that are surprisingly affordable (usually around N15 - N18) but that's not really where I want to live.
Old May 15th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
Quote:

We are in Scotland just outside Glasgow. We put our house on the market in October 2010. It's a 3 bedroom mid terrace with large garden in walk in condition. Unfortunately the market here is very very slow. We have had 4 viewings so far and it's on the market at £10k below market price. Others in the area have started drastically slashing their prices ina n effort to sell but it hasn't really made much of a difference in my area as they are still on the market. We are just not willing to sell our house at a loss right now so we have had to organise to rent it out for 2 years and then hopefully the market will have picked up and we can try to sell again. It's not ideal but renting for 2 years in Canada will make our own home all the more sweeter when we finally can buy it.
Good luck to all of you who are selling.
I really sympathise with these people because it is putting a hold on many of their plans. Believe me, I am sat here in the UK itching to buy and there is so much negativity surrounding the housing market that many buyers are sat on the sidelines like they are waiting for something to happen. This is due to a few reasons such as lack of mortgages, job insecurity, lack of confidence in the market, etc. The press is full of articles painting a doomsday scenario.

Of course, it is all down to the economy. Many of us have been through this before and I am sure it will cycle back again. Like with the stock markets, this may well be a buying opportunity and many may be kicking themselves in a couple of years.

Last edited by johnh009; May 15th 2011 at 9:07 am.
Old May 15th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hidden bodies and all, do you think this would be a good place for a single person ? Obviously I would physically check the property/area beforehand, ( I'm going back for a visit in 2 weeks ).
I've finally found out where the property is. It's at the busy intersection of Crescent Street and East Street, both of which are busy main roads. This could make noise an issue. It's really in the shopping district rather than a residential area. If these are not problems for you, it is very central and convenient to Tesco and Iceland, Post Office, banks etc.

I would think you would need a clutch of half a dozen properties to look at in the area.

This one is a bit further east.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25186765.html
Old May 15th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this on another forum.
Different strokes for different folks.
I'm listening.

Yay, congratulations on the move!

Quote from: DavidO on Today at 02:20:00 AM
A few years ago I read an amazing article (I wish I still had the link!) that analyzed the financial benefits of renting vs owning. It really opened my eyes. In about 90% of the cases renting won out over owning in total ecomonic terms.

I think I read the same article. A few years ago I had a really similar discussion with my brother, saying I felt bad renting, and he showed me that in general, if you live somewhere for 5 years or less it's actually cheaper to rent than to buy. It's American calculations, but here are the links to the article and a rent vs. buy calculator:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/b...alculator.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/bu...leonhardt.html

We've been renting for 2 years and don't feel bad at all. Economically it's cheaper for us because we've changed apartments a couple times, the landlord fixes all repairs so we never have to foot unexpected repair bills, and we have the freedom to consider more job and life opportunities since it'd be easy for us to relocate. A friend at work just moved house with his family, and the actual move part (like solicitors' fees, stamp duty, etc.) cost them £8,000!!! And they were moving between two average size houses in two average areas. So we're a bit hesitant to buy anywhere when we know we'll probably move quite soon. DH and I think that in 3 to 5 years we might know where we want to settle down permanently, so we'll happily rent until then.
Old May 15th 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I've finally found out where the property is. It's at the busy intersection of Crescent Street and East Street, both of which are busy main roads. This could make noise an issue. It's really in the shopping district rather than a residential area. If these are not problems for you, it is very central and convenient to Tesco and Iceland, Post Office, banks etc.

Thanks for the info.......that would be annoying ! ( it looked so quiet in the photo )
Old May 15th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I would think you would need a clutch of half a dozen properties to look at in the area.

This one is a bit further east.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25186765.html
Do you think that there is much of a gap between property prices in the north and in the south? I can see that areas such as Carlisle are cheaper but from Leeds southwards, prices do not seem to vary that much, making allowances for the general immediate area. Give or take the odd pockets that is and excluding London.

Last edited by johnh009; May 15th 2011 at 4:43 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm listening.

A few years ago I read an amazing article (I wish I still had the link!) that analyzed the financial benefits of renting vs owning. It really opened my eyes. In about 90% of the cases renting won out over owning in total ecomonic terms.

I think I read the same article. A few years ago I had a really similar discussion with my brother, saying I felt bad renting, and he showed me that in general, if you live somewhere for 5 years or less it's actually cheaper to rent than to buy. It's American calculations, but here are the links to the article and a rent vs. buy calculator:

We've been renting for 2 years and don't feel bad at all. Economically it's cheaper for us because we've changed apartments a couple times, the landlord fixes all repairs so we never have to foot unexpected repair bills, and we have the freedom to consider more job and life opportunities since it'd be easy for us to relocate. A friend at work just moved house with his family, and the actual move part (like solicitors' fees, stamp duty, etc.) cost them £8,000!!! And they were moving between two average size houses in two average areas. So we're a bit hesitant to buy anywhere when we know we'll probably move quite soon. DH and I think that in 3 to 5 years we might know where we want to settle down permanently, so we'll happily rent until then.
I think there is much truth in this. My only grievance about renting is that I always feel I am in a temporary situation with my life on hold and if you get a bad landlord, you can end up with someone breathing down your neck.

However, for those who have a job that may require them to move, it is a good situation.
Old May 15th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.......that would be annoying ! ( it looked so quiet in the photo )
Yep, the Rightmove Logo on the map gives the impression that it is tucked into an alley-way but in fact the logo is (as per usual) out slightly and you have to go into Streetview to find the place, as aries did.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'm listening.

But as with anything to do with the economy, it is largely dependent on whether house prices are appreciating or depreciating - rent a house from 2001-2006, and you end up missing out on 100%+ appreciation/paying twice as much when you eventually buy. Capital appreciation would outstrip purchase expenses in the first 3-6 months, easily.

If you had rented from 2006-2011, you would be quids-in.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
But as with anything to do with the economy, it is largely dependent on whether house prices are appreciating or depreciating - rent a house from 2001-2006, and you end up missing out on 100%+ appreciation/paying twice as much when you eventually buy. Capital appreciation would outstrip purchase expenses in the first 3-6 months, easily.

If you had rented from 2006-2011, you would be quids-in.
But the whole point of this discussion really is due to the predicament today! Interest rates are almost zero, mortgage lending is tight and the UK economy is showing zero growth potential and the Government is about to start letting people go big-time. So nobody seems to be talking capital appreciation.

IF the Tories have got their game plan dead right then we might start to see something before the end of this parliament but that's a big IF.

I was one of the first to promote this discussion to initiate the uninitiated and it was only for the above reason, apart from as per cheers piece, it also offers more flexibility when this may be key for some seeking employment and also those who are not entirely settled as to where they want to finally relocate to.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 15th 2011 at 5:19 pm.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnh009
Do you think that there is much of a gap between property prices in the north and in the south? I can see that areas such as Carlisle are cheaper but from Leeds southwards, prices do not seem to vary that much, making allowances for the general immediate area. Give or take the odd pockets that is and excluding London.
Talking of Leeds, you have to go down to Harrogate (followed by Trafford and Richmondshire) before you find the first Local Authority in the North in this listing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...s/html/las.stm
Old May 15th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I think there is much truth in this. My only grievance about renting is that I always feel I am in a temporary situation with my life on hold and if you get a bad landlord, you can end up with someone breathing down your neck.

However, for those who have a job that may require them to move, it is a good situation.
I agree with you. You have a roof, not a home, when you rent - and you can get kicked out quite easily if things take a down turn such as losing your job.

Also, there are not just monetary factors to consider, especially as you get older. There is the feeling of safety and security and I think that comes with owning and not renting - if you can do it, of course.

I am also wondering, if you are in a situation where you have to rent, is it "safer" to rent in the UK rather than the USA? I think in the UK if the worst happens and you can't pay rent for whatever reason - losing a job perhaps - there are benefits that kick in to pay them for you. I don't know if this only applies to council properties, though.

Yes, I am looking at the worst scenarios because I want to know the ins and outs of everything before I make the move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.