Location, location, location

Old May 21st 2011, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by nethead
The first cottage has a pretty image, and although it is incredibly cluttered inside, all that would be gone for a new owner to move in.

Originally Posted by bandrui
Indeed. I really like the idea of having space around me. Couldn't live with someone else right on top of me. And when we are thinking of distances to get to other places, it's still nothing to the distances we tend to travel here in N. America.
We also have big distances and space in Australia, but when I move back to England, I will treasure the closeness.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30046207.html

This is my last one of the day and it is neat , clean and cheerful. It is very energy efficient.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30046207.html

This is my last one of the day and it is neat , clean and cheerful. It is very energy efficient.
I bet you are well into Welsh only territory there.

It's a nice enough place but not as nice as the cottage for me. Not too keen on oil heating either. Perhaps a wee bit remote. I am not familiar with that part of Wales at all.
Old May 21st 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Do they still burn our cottages in Wales ??
Old May 21st 2011, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Do they still burn our cottages in Wales ??
I didn't know anything about his so I had to go and do some research. The action is extreme but I understand the sentiment. Nothing distroys a community faster than having a bunch of empty homes because they are just used for vacations. It is a constant source of concern here and it is in fact illegal to buy a house just to rent out for holidays. They are called STVRs (short term vacation rentals).
Forutnately, I think the burning has stopped.

By Welsh only, I meant that most people there probably speak Welsh. If I lived in Wales, I would learn Welsh. When in Rome...
Old May 21st 2011, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know anything about his so I had to go and do some research. The action is extreme but I understand the sentiment. Nothing distroys a community faster than having a bunch of empty homes because they are just used for vacations. It is a constant source of concern here and it is in fact illegal to buy a house just to rent out for holidays. They are called STVRs (short term vacation rentals).

By Welsh only, I meant that most people there probably speak Welsh. If I lived in Wales, I would learn Welsh. When in Rome...
I totally understand the sentiment, not the actions perhaps. I am a 1/4 welsh myself and have many welsh friends, when I return to the UK I am looking into North Wales, ( like yourself I need some space and prefer to live in an artistic community ) and Wales just seems so much more affordable.

I think learning Welsh would be difficult, but I would give it a go.
Old May 21st 2011, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is 50/50 now in Mid Wales. When we stayed there about ten years ago the cottage that we stayed at was owned by a Londoner and the farm across was owned by someone from Surrey I think. I don't give it a second thought when I'm there. My Dad spoke Welsh to a degree when we visited there.

Where I am now the house behind me and also the one across are second homes. Strange so many can't afford a home and then there are those who have at least two. What's wrong with this picture?

Cheers
Old May 21st 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I totally understand the sentiment, not the actions perhaps. I am a 1/4 welsh myself and have many welsh friends, when I return to the UK I am looking into North Wales, ( like yourself I need some space and prefer to live in an artistic community ) and Wales just seems so much more affordable.

I think learning Welsh would be difficult, but I would give it a go.
My Great Great Grandmother was Welsh (born in Welshpool). My cousin and his daughter live in Llandeilo and she has taken Welsh at Uni. We are both interested in doing more research into this part of the family who lived around Worcestershire.
It sounds as though we are looking for similar things so please post what you find here and I'll do the same. Tonight I have been looking at photos of Herefordshire (beautiful!) and properties around Ledbury, but I am also looking into information about Wales. I think I will have a better chance of finding what I am looking for in the Marches or Wales.
Old May 21st 2011, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
I think it is 50/50 now in Mid Wales. When we stayed there about ten years ago the cottage that we stayed at was owned by a Londoner and the farm across was owned by someone from Surrey I think. I don't give it a second thought when I'm there. My Dad spoke Welsh to a degree when we visited there.

Where I am now the house behind me and also the one across are second homes. Strange so many can't afford a home and then there are those who have at least two. What's wrong with this picture?

Cheers
Lots. Houses need to be lived in.
Old May 21st 2011, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Agood site for Herefordshire: (that first photo is amazing)
http://www.picturesofengland.com/Eng...hire/pictures#

A project but good price for the house and land:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...ummary29987503
The Street view is way down the road from the marker.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33487499.html
(I have looked at this one before... hope I didn't post it before.) That conservatory would make a good studio. Lots of garden space.

This one is on a busy road but has the space to put up a studio and the price is right:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-24981412.html

Would be nice to see some interior photos:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33078629.html
Old May 21st 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just noticed this has sold STC. Congratulations!
Old May 21st 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Agood site for Herefordshire: (that first photo is amazing)
http://www.picturesofengland.com/Eng...hire/pictures#

A project but good price for the house and land:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...ummary29987503
The Street view is way down the road from the marker.I like this one. You can be in your garden but have privacy from your neighbors. I like the the house from the outside.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33487499.html
(I have looked at this one before... hope I didn't post it before.) That conservatory would make a good studio. Lots of garden space.It looks like it is on a big lot and is in a development. Interesting.

This one is on a busy road but has the space to put up a studio and the price is right:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-24981412.htmlI don't think you would have any trouble getting a job across the street from there since there is a big produce farm and processing centre there. If you look on the street view they have the wrong house marked and the correct one is down to the left. I spent a lot of time researching this one on Google maps. i took a ride along this road which is really nice, however it is on the main Ledbury to Hereford road so it had a fair amount of traffic on it. I might ad the house setting looks really nice and much better than the sat view. The name of the business opposite is called Roots (nursery). Did I tell you I love gates?

Sold STC

My #1 choice is the house #1 (503) It needs work but I really like the setting. How good are you with the womans touch? It use to be a public house.
Notes in red

Last edited by cheers; May 21st 2011 at 5:24 pm. Reason: More information
Old May 21st 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I saw that garden centre . I would probably be more likely to drop off business cards there for people looking for a gardener; I doubt that the centre would pay much for work.
It took me a while to find the property on street view too, and I also like gates, especially these 5-bar ones.
I am really liking the sense of space in this broad area, and the prices. There is also a sense of being surrounded by some of the land that has remained unused which I find appealing. The South has some benefits of its own but there is a definite feeling that every square inch of land has been used for something.
I thought that the Forest of Dean would be interesting to explore but I understand there is now a population of over 100 wild boar .
Old May 21st 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are they a protected species?

More than 150 are now believed to roam the 35sq mile Forest of Dean. It means the area has one of Britain's biggest wild boar populations, behind Kent and East Sussex.

The Forestry Commission was given Government permission last week to cull the Forest of Dean population to 100 amid fears they have been damaging the woodland.

Two years ago, an aggressive boar had to be shot at a primary school in Ruardean, Glos.

Last edited by cheers; May 21st 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

While searching for flats, it can be irritating to see a number of external views, but none interior. Retirement places are especially guilty of this.

Sometimes when interior views are not shown, I click for a pdf download supposedly providing full details, and I'm referred to a window which wants me to go elsewhere. I now don't click any further, but wonder if there is in fact a flat for sale at that location. A few times I've reached a web page I don't want which refuses to be deleted, and I've had to Force Quit.

At least I have an iMac so feel reasonably safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.