Location, location, location

Old May 29th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by cheers
Other factors have to be considered such as the fares may cause counts to go down.
Beeching (was that his name) already did a number on the railways. Also Margaret Thatcher did a number on the bus transport which she had to unfortunately because of the militants who were marching for recognition.
When I picked over the stats that was the first conclusion that I came up with and add to that the decrease in leisure travel in the recession. In rural areas the stats show some increases, presumably as (subsidised) rail travel is cheaper than using the car with gas well over one pound a litre.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

The question should always be asked when we consider the subsidies on rail travel is how much is road travel subsidized? Further if you reduce train travel that will throw more people on the roads and we will be on the way to coast to coast concrete. Look at what has happened to many cities where neighborhoods have been destroyed to make ways for 'traffic'. Wrong! Bring back the horse and cart I say! Another part of the equation is how many people are employed on the rails who might otherwise be unemployed? Whenever we see the headlines about reducing spending I would advize the reader to move on to the next article were they are going to be spending some outrageous sum on a project with questionable benefit.
There I said it.

What I want to do when I become emperor is to tax heavily all those high rise buildings in London which blight the city and they are not beneficial to the public whether they be employees who work in them or residents who are inconvenienced by the congestion that they create. They also create wind tunnels.
End of chapter 2.
Location, Loc.....
That should ensure that the last bastion of major employment in the UK; financial services, ups and leaves the country and heads to Frankfurt, Shanghai, Paris or New York.

I posted the article regarding rail travel in the UK because it is a Location Location Location issue.

IF local councils are asked to take on the subsidies from Central Government almost certainly some councils will be reluctant to do so when they are already withdrawing other subsidies for Local Bus transport. As a result, we will see stations closing and even lines closing where the traffic doesn't warrant their being open. So we may need to be thoughtful of the possibility that rail and bus connections will not be there in low traffic areas for the long haul.

This topic is quite aside from the issue of alternative transport subsidies*. There is no question that the UK Government plan to develop fast rail transport connections between major UK cities and London and I would not envisage that they plan to subsidise these routes, even in off-peak travel.

* I do not believe that UK overhead gantry scanning of car registrations for road toll purposes is that far off now.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 29th 2011 at 5:02 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
That would make sense if rail was still nationalized. Currently the government is subsidizing for the benefit of the shareholders of private companies.

Thats not right, huh?

OK, when I become Emporer.....
Old May 29th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats not right, huh?

OK, when I become Emporer.....
When are you running - for emperor that is?

I'll alert Mayor Bloomberg that there should be some good news for him real soon. That's what he's been working on.
Old May 29th 2011, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 29th 2011, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
When are you running - for emperor that is?
When things settle down in Libya
Old May 29th 2011, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Other factors have to be considered such as the fares may cause counts to go down.
Beeching (was that his name) already did a number on the railways. Also Margaret Thatcher did a number on the bus transport which she had to unfortunately because of the militants who were marching for recognition.
When we have multi-billion new aircraft carriers already being built but no planes to fly on them due to cuts there is no telling where the axe will fall next. They will be looking everywhere and even in badly-conceived places and places where the lost votes don't seem to matter particularly.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 29th 2011 at 5:11 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

When we have multi-billion new aircraft carriers planned but no planes to fly on them due to cuts there is no telling where the axe will fall next. They will be looking everywhere and even in badly-conceived places and places where the lost votes don't seem to matter particularly.
Will the last one leaving turn out the lights.

OK I'm ready for your next finds on homes in England, in fact I'm looking forward to it.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will the last one leaving turn out the lights.

OK I'm ready for your next finds on homes in England, in fact I'm looking forward to it.
I'll tell you what!

Now I'm going to look at areas that have major (trunk) road access close-by (e.g. A303), plus well used railway stations (non-(London)commutable), maybe plus bus service by the majors such as First, Arriva and Stagecoach, then I think we have a stable transport situation.

IF we are thinking rural we may have to rely on there being car-pooling* if existing public transport were to be withdrawn. Rural we also have to think of more closed Post Offices and pubs. We would probably have to do grocery-delivery pooling some days.

We also have to consider services and Hospital and A&E, right aries?

By the way, I got no comments on my Cornwall bit and flights ex Newquay. Truro is very well-connected for transport, medical, schools, leisure, shopping, period houses and for being more cosmopolitan than the rest of Cornwall.

*There's a challenge, in a village

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 29th 2011 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is another weekly feature in the Guardian in the Society Section for careers/employment purposes but it gives the low-down of Council performance and services, Health, Commuter links and housing.

This one is for Lancaster but there are many others, back to 2006.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...sector-careers
Old May 29th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Only thing is Pete are we going down the road that we accuse the Brits of going down and that is looking at the down side of what could happen or is happening for that matter.

Cheers
Old May 29th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I want this house <sigh>
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-15099837.html

This is another area in the south west I love, the Wells/Glastonbury area.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33287609.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32964977.html

A lot of potential.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30199633.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18351504.html
Old May 29th 2011, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you what!

Now I'm going to look at areas that have major (trunk) road access close-by (e.g. A303), plus well used railway stations (non-(London)commutable), maybe plus bus service by the majors such as First, Arriva and Stagecoach, then I think we have a stable transport situation.

IF we are thinking rural we may have to rely on there being car-pooling* if existing public transport were to be withdrawn. Rural we also have to think of more closed Post Offices and pubs. We would probably have to do grocery-delivery pooling some days.

We also have to consider services and Hospital and A&E, right aries?

By the way, I got no comments on my Cornwall bit and flights ex Newquay. Truro is very well-connected for transport, medical, schools, leisure, shopping, period houses and for being more cosmopolitan than the rest of Cornwall.

*There's a challenge, in a village
Truro is a nice town, and has plenty of amenities, but seems quite remote when you are there. St Austell is another nice Cornish town.
Old May 29th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for the research. I like the Wells area also!
1. Way over priced but very nice.
2. Probably has a nice view. My least favorite. Don"t like the carport among other things.
3. Good but about 100K over priced. Nice street view.
4. Like others have said I'm not going to spend the rest of my life fixing up a place. Other than that that old fashioned fireplace oven is a prize and it may be needed to use again in the hard times ahead.
5. Don't like, except the price is good.
Old May 29th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Only thing is Pete are we going down the road that we accuse the Brits of going down and that is looking at the down side of what could happen or is happening for that matter.

Cheers
I was going to deliver a dissertation but will simply say better to be safe than sorry!

There are things that we can do to take the risk and potential future downside out of a decision and we should probably, on average, do them. Particularly if we have reasonable information at our fingertips to aid the decision-making process. That way we end up ahead of the pack. There speaks an Accountant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.