Location, location, location

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by cheers
+ or - ?
I was going around in Street View to see what was in the village.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link to a campaign for re-opening rail lines that identifies where local groups are working to reopen lines:

http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/ca...ould_reopen#sw
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
The government now see the introduction of high speed rail lines as a way of eliminating the North-South divide. Who knows? Apart from the line in the link below (which is an old article but the travel times are interesting), when buying, it is worth checking out the new high speed lines to be constructed:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8221540.stm
A lot has happened since 26th August 2009, the date of this article:

Change of Government
Realisation that there is no money left
Change in priorities
No longer anybody with a vision like Lord Adonis

The biggest ongoing project is Crossrail and there are tentative plans for the fast Birmingham to London link (definitely Location Location Location there on the noise issue) which have significant objections already, including from the Mayor of London.

As has been discussed on BE in the last month, a lot of this dreaming is actually simply vanity on the part of successive Ministers Of Transport.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 23rd 2011 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Crossrail etc.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 7:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I didn't realise rent could be negotiable . I have never heard of that here. Good to know.

Those counties are still under consideration for me as well. I like the centralised position and am particularly drawn to Stroud. I feel that I would fit in there well.

This is the big plus to renting IMHO. I like the idea that I could move relatively easily to "try out" somewhere else.
There was a survey recently indicating that something like 40% of tenants are in arrears on rent. I think that quite a few landlords these days are more concerned with getting "good" tenants than getting a specific rent. I think as long as you are not taking the mick with an offer and have strong references, or can show you are in a good job, etc., a landlord may be more likely to be flexible on rent.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
There was a survey recently indicating that something like 40% of tenants are in arrears on rent. I think that quite a few landlords these days are more concerned with getting "good" tenants than getting a specific rent. I think as long as you are not taking the mick with an offer and have strong references, or can show you are in a good job, etc., a landlord may be more likely to be flexible on rent.
That seems like an extraordinarily high percentage so I have been trying to confirm but have only been able to find stats for May 2011 when the percentage was around 12%.

The company providing stats seems to be LSL Property Services. They have published this Buy-to-let report for Sept 2011. (Not sure what the "Under embargo until Friday October 21st" means ):

http://www.lslps.co.uk/documents/buy...ndex_sep11.pdf

Added: I see it posts a figure of 8.6% arrears.

Last edited by bandrui; Oct 23rd 2011 at 9:27 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think that it is more likely a stat that 40% of private landlords have experienced rent arrears problems in the last year but the tenants are not necessarily in arrears at this point.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Late in posting as my computer was in the shop too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...swanage-dorset

Oh to be able to sup on oysters and Cava at Gee Whites.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...uy-to-let-boom

Ref buy to letting and tenant arrears.

"tenant arrears have dropped to their lowest level since April 2010, with just 8.6% of all UK rent unpaid or late by the end of September."
Old Oct 25th 2011, 11:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

(Not sure what the "Under embargo until Friday October 21st" means ):
It just means that the media department didn't want any newspapers to publish the story until October 21st although they had sent the press release early.

I'm not in the 'high speed rail makes no sense' camp. I actually wish the US congress would get its finger out and realize that high speed rail here would create lots of jobs and improve the country's competitiveness. But of course they're against any kind of government spending no matter how much sense it makes.

The planned high speed rail in the UK would eventually reach Leeds I understand, which would be a huge boon for a city that has done a lot to revitalize itself over the last 20 years. As has Birmingham, I understand. Any time we can do something to spread the wealth from London outwards is a good thing in my book because the growing divide is good for no one.

PistolPete, I realize you don't agree, but I wanted to offer a different perspective. Feel free to continue disagreeing
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...uy-to-let-boom

Ref buy to letting and tenant arrears.

"tenant arrears have dropped to their lowest level since April 2010, with just 8.6% of all UK rent unpaid or late by the end of September."

"statistics are a composition of lies"
Old Oct 25th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Late in posting as my computer was in the shop too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...swanage-dorset

Oh to be able to sup on oysters and Cava at Gee Whites.
I continue to keep an eye on Swanage ever since Gab suggested it (her Gran lived there). Not cheap but realatively unspoilt.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I continue to keep an eye on Swanage ever since Gab suggested it (her Gran lived there). Not cheap but realatively unspoilt.

Last edited by Gabgoeshome; Oct 25th 2011 at 5:29 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 6:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it is more likely a stat that 40% of private landlords have experienced rent arrears problems in the last year but the tenants are not necessarily in arrears at this point.
I think the statistic was associated with private tenancies, and from memory, it may have been the number of landlords, not tenants, but I also found this:

http://www.e1buytoletmortgages.co.uk...ears-4558.html

Quote: "As a result, the number of tenants in arrears has hit 84%."

and this:

http://citywire.co.uk/money/rental-a...income/a530357

Quote: "Some 10.7% of all UK rent was unpaid or late by the end of August – up from the 9% in July."

and this:

http://www.rman.co.uk/article_huge-r...ears-4955.html

Quote: "The charity National Debtline has reported an 84% rise in the number of tenants seeking advice on rent arrears."

- the stats all depend on who you're asking and what you ask/how you ask, of course, but in the current econiomic climate I think a lot of landlords are much more interested in people who will pay reliably and on time than people who will pay an extra £25 a month.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at a listing and it showed the price and they said it was a shared ownership and there was a rent of £200 per month plus there were some other minor fees. It is a little confusing because if you own the place why do you have to pay rent?

I'm guessing if I had a 25% ownership then when I sell it I would get 25% of the selling price so why would a person have to pay rent?

I know if I showed the listing it would explain something.

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
I was looking at a listing and it showed the price and they said it was a shared ownership and there was a rent of £200 per month plus there were some other minor fees. It is a little confusing because if you own the place why do you have to pay rent?

I'm guessing if I had a 25% ownership then when I sell it I would get 25% of the selling price so why would a person have to pay rent?

I know if I showed the listing it would explain something.

Cheers
We used to have this set-up!

One owns *with* the housing association ...you must pay rent on the part you don't own

We owned 50%~they owned 50%

If we hadn't come here, we could have 'staircased' and bought more shares -thus lowering our rent portion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.