Location, location, location

Old May 23rd 2011, 12:04 pm
  #691  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by aries View Post
You are spot on about eliminating property if there are things in the area you don't like. Recently I saw a property which seemed marvellous in every way, but Street View showed a pub immediately opposite.

Nothing beats being on the ground, but we have to start looking somewhere.
I agree with that aries but I (in response to this and bandrui and john) think what each of us needs to do is work out fairly early on in the search which particular area(s) appeals to us in light of our issues with weather, our needs and background (the fitting-in bit). After this, we have to look at whether we are going to need to be in town or rural, near the sea or a river (or not) or inland. Part of this search might include our desire for particular styles of properties such as those we've seen on Rightmove such as in the Cotswolds, cottages in Wiltshire, cottages in the North, Scottish Manse style. Once we are through that we are really pretty well done with Rightmove for now because the supply is in constant flux in terms of variety and price.

Further research will relate to articles in the Money-Property section of the Guardian and for general sentiment but we also need to look at regional and localised issues of employment, transport, closures, retail, crime??, flooding and new positive business steps. We need to think about buying in an area where there is positive value on the horizon if at all possible. We will have all this in the "frame" when we come to hitting the ground doing our actual search for ten properties within our defined zone(s). But we'll know it (the Plumb property) when we end up seeing it and not before. When we have found it we still need to do fresh localised research as to community, post office, shops, reasons for moving out, neighbours, subsidence etc., more flooding, noise, traffic flow, farm smells etc. if at all possible. If we have specifically chosen a town early on from Rightmove and other research then the final work becomes that much easier. I guess we have to remember that the prospect of actually finding Utopia is pretty slim if only because things and environments change so we could choose a town or village area around say Frome or Kendal or Masham or Llandeilo where we have ticked almost all the boxes and be as happy there as anywhere else when the right property comes along.

My comments regarding the state of the UK relate to my personal concerns which were mirrored by Vince Cable in an article this weekend. This can possibly have a bearing on where one chooses to live IF it is possible to work out which areas will be worst impacted by a general protracted state of decline.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...my?INTCMP=SRCH

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 23rd 2011 at 1:35 pm.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:52 pm
  #692  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Now Devon
Posts: 947
aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
I agree with that aries but I (in response to this and bandrui and john) think what each of us needs to do is work out fairly early on in the search which particular area(s) appeals to us in light of our issues with weather, our needs and background (the fitting-in bit). After this, we have to look at whether we are going to need to be in town or rural, near the sea or a river (or not) or inland. Part of this search might include our desire for particular styles of properties such as those we've seen on Rightmove such as in the Cotswolds, cottages in Wiltshire, cottages in the North, Scottish Manse style. Once we are through that we are really pretty well done with Rightmove for now because the supply is in constant flux in terms of variety and price.

Further research will relate to articles in the Money-Property section of the Guardian and for general sentiment but we also need to look at regional and localised issues of employment, transport, closures, retail, crime??, flooding and new positive business steps. We need to think about buying in an area where there is positive value on the horizon if at all possible. We will have all this in the "frame" when we come to hitting the ground doing our actual search for ten properties within our defined zone(s). But we'll know it (the Plumb property) when we end up seeing it and not before. When we have found it we still need to do fresh localised research as to community, post office, shops, reasons for moving out, neighbours, subsidence etc., more flooding, noise, traffic flow, farm smells etc. if at all possible. If we have specifically chosen a town early on from Rightmove and other research then the final work becomes that much easier. I guess we have to remember that the prospect of actually finding Utopia is pretty slim so we could choose a town or village area around say Frome or Kendal or Masham or Llandeilo where we have ticked almost all the boxes and be as happy there as anywhere else when the right property comes along.
I certainly agree with this, I suppose we all search in one way or another.

Finding Utopia might be slim, but unexpectedly I found mine in 2009, staying 3 months in the lovely small old town of Ladenburg near Heidelberg on the River Neckar, SW Germany. Someone on the internet describes it as sleepy, but I didn't find that, it is a lot more lively than where I live in an Adelaide suburb.

In fact if I could get health insurance for my cardiac condition, or even afford the high premiums, I would live there, but unfortunately not, so am moving back to my home country.
aries is offline  
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:14 pm
  #693  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Tunbridge Wells KENT
Posts: 2,900
Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by aries View Post
I certainly agree with this, I suppose we all search in one way or another.

Finding Utopia might be slim, but unexpectedly I found mine in 2009, staying 3 months in the lovely small old town of Ladenburg near Heidelberg on the River Neckar, SW Germany. Someone on the internet describes it as sleepy, but I didn't find that, it is a lot more lively than where I live in an Adelaide suburb.

In fact if I could get health insurance for my cardiac condition, or even afford the high premiums, I would live there, but unfortunately not, so am moving back to my home country.
Funnily enough aries, I too am particularly taken by Germany and used to visit Nurnberg* (International Toy Fair) annually back when I had a toy shop in Bermuda. We stayed in Rothenburg ob de Tauber once, supposedly one of finest medieval towns in Europe, along with Lavenham in Suffolk, and thought it so special. Can't get my head around German though so that rules it out.

*ended up sharing a table at dinner one evening with a former SS officer imprisoned after the war. Didn't really know what to talk about - but interesting times! Spooky Hitler/Nazi memorabilia in Nurnberg.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 23rd 2011 at 2:27 pm.
Pistolpete2 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:32 pm
  #694  
Confirmed grumpy old man
 
Victor Meldrew's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Moved back to Riyadh KSA 2016
Posts: 1,298
Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Some nice choices there. Like 'em all
Victor Meldrew is offline  
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:57 pm
  #695  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,782
johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
Some nice choices there. Like 'em all
I went to Hereford this weekend for the first time. Anyone who says the UK is overcrowded should travel around Herefordshire. Not spectacular, but very pleasant. It reminded me of how England used to be. The good points that is.
johnh009 is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 1:01 am
  #696  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
I agree with that aries but I (in response to this and bandrui and john) think what each of us needs to do is work out fairly early on in the search which particular area(s) appeals to us in light of our issues with weather, our needs and background (the fitting-in bit). After this, we have to look at whether we are going to need to be in town or rural, near the sea or a river (or not) or inland. Part of this search might include our desire for particular styles of properties such as those we've seen on Rightmove such as in the Cotswolds, cottages in Wiltshire, cottages in the North, Scottish Manse style. Once we are through that we are really pretty well done with Rightmove for now because the supply is in constant flux in terms of variety and price.

Further research will relate to articles in the Money-Property section of the Guardian and for general sentiment but we also need to look at regional and localised issues of employment, transport, closures, retail, crime??, flooding and new positive business steps. We need to think about buying in an area where there is positive value on the horizon if at all possible. We will have all this in the "frame" when we come to hitting the ground doing our actual search for ten properties within our defined zone(s). But we'll know it (the Plumb property) when we end up seeing it and not before. When we have found it we still need to do fresh localised research as to community, post office, shops, reasons for moving out, neighbours, subsidence etc., more flooding, noise, traffic flow, farm smells etc. if at all possible. If we have specifically chosen a town early on from Rightmove and other research then the final work becomes that much easier. I guess we have to remember that the prospect of actually finding Utopia is pretty slim if only because things and environments change so we could choose a town or village area around say Frome or Kendal or Masham or Llandeilo where we have ticked almost all the boxes and be as happy there as anywhere else when the right property comes along.

My comments regarding the state of the UK relate to my personal concerns which were mirrored by Vince Cable in an article this weekend. This can possibly have a bearing on where one chooses to live IF it is possible to work out which areas will be worst impacted by a general protracted state of decline.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...my?INTCMP=SRCH
I agree with this in general terms although I am not sure that I will whittle it down to one area without actually seeing that area. Rather, I am more interested in getting an idea of what each area offers and coming up with a few areas to explore.
I shall keep my eye on properties on Rightmove until, and after, I move to determine what is coming on the market and at what price.
10 properties may not be my magic number... perhaps fewer, perhaps more, but I think the points that you mention are what we are in fact researching.
The main goal for me at this point is to get to know the individual areas that may be of interest, to see what is available on the market and to keep an eye on what is occurring in the property market.
There is no one area... at least to this point... which would fulfill all of the criteria that could be on my list, so for now I shall continue looking at different areas that appeal and that satisfy the majority of my criteria.
The stickler for me is to decide how important it is for me to be by the sea. I have not found an area that can offer me the other things that are very important (feeling of space, price, etc.) without being out of accessibility to other areas.
I am sure all will be revealed in its right time... it always is... and in the meantime I shall enjoy exploring.

Last edited by bandrui; May 24th 2011 at 1:04 am.
bandrui is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 3:10 am
  #697  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Now Devon
Posts: 947
aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2 View Post
Funnily enough aries, I too am particularly taken by Germany and used to visit Nurnberg* (International Toy Fair) annually back when I had a toy shop in Bermuda. We stayed in Rothenburg ob de Tauber once, supposedly one of finest medieval towns in Europe, along with Lavenham in Suffolk, and thought it so special. Can't get my head around German though so that rules it out.

*ended up sharing a table at dinner one evening with a former SS officer imprisoned after the war. Didn't really know what to talk about - but interesting times! Spooky Hitler/Nazi memorabilia in Nurnberg.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is certainly a quaint old medieval town in Bavaria, and I'm sure you would pick up enough of the language to get by if you felt inclined to move to Germany. English is now being taught in many of their primary schools as well as secondary, so the economic powerhouse of Europe is quite English friendly.

Your SS officer account makes me smile. In 1959 as an exchange student, I also spent a few months with a family in a small town between M√ľnchen and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Their company's accountant was a former U-Boat commander, so it was surreal to be sitting in a car driven by him. He was a jolly man, and said that he was thankful to have survived the war.

And as for location, I'm not sure why this 5 bedroom house in Torquay doesn't have a higher asking price. http://www.findaproperty.com/display...=0&pid=7275432 Just a few hundred yards from the harbour, it is ideally situated to be used as a B & B. Perhaps because many people are now having holidays abroad? The St Andrew's Monastery next door has been converted into flats. I like Street View showing a dog doing a job on the grass in Torwood Gardens!!

Last edited by aries; May 24th 2011 at 3:20 am. Reason: spelling
aries is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 4:02 am
  #698  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by aries View Post
And as for location, I'm not sure why this 5 bedroom house in Torquay doesn't have a higher asking price. http://www.findaproperty.com/display...=0&pid=7275432 Just a few hundred yards from the harbour, it is ideally situated to be used as a B & B. Perhaps because many people are now having holidays abroad? The St Andrew's Monastery next door has been converted into flats. I like Street View showing a dog doing a job on the grass in Torwood Gardens!!
I think it may be because it is right next door to a church, a few doors down from the bowling lanes and set into a high ridge at the back.
bandrui is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 4:07 am
  #699  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 6,697
the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by aries View Post
I certainly agree with this, I suppose we all search in one way or another.

Finding Utopia might be slim, but unexpectedly I found mine in 2009, staying 3 months in the lovely small old town of Ladenburg near Heidelberg on the River Neckar, SW Germany. Someone on the internet describes it as sleepy, but I didn't find that, it is a lot more lively than where I live in an Adelaide suburb.

In fact if I could get health insurance for my cardiac condition, or even afford the high premiums, I would live there, but unfortunately not, so am moving back to my home country.
Have thought about retiring in Germany myself,as property is a good price and could sell up here in Perth and buy something very nice there.

We spend quite a bit of time in the Tuebingen area and have a flat there,but there are so many places that I like in Germany it would be difficult to choose.

Also considering South East Asian options,Malaysia mostly but haven't given up on UK nor France,for that matter.All countries that have lived in previously.

Have gone off the idea of Australia a fair bit,although at one stage had the idea of possibly going to the WA South region.
the troubadour is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 4:21 am
  #700  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Have thought about retiring in Germany myself,as property is a good price and could sell up here in Perth and buy something very nice there.

We spend quite a bit of time in the Tuebingen area and have a flat there,but there are so many places that I like in Germany it would be difficult to choose.

Also considering South East Asian options,Malaysia mostly but haven't given up on UK nor France,for that matter.All countries that have lived in previously.

Have gone off the idea of Australia a fair bit,although at one stage had the idea of possibly going to the WA South region.
You fine folks may wish to take a look at the Germany thread (Europe) or Malaysia or France, that are listed in the Forum Index. Probably lots of pertinent info there.
bandrui is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 7:09 am
  #701  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Now Devon
Posts: 947
aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
I think it may be because it is right next door to a church, a few doors down from the bowling lanes and set into a high ridge at the back.
The church was a monastery, but now converted into flats.

http://www.southwestlettingagent.co....=15&pro_id=240

I know the area well and agree with you about the bowling and other entertainment nearby. I don't know if the rock face behind is a worry, Torquay is built on seven hills, though the coastline at Babbacombe has been eroded. This house was bought for one tenth of the value it should have been, but has still proved to be overpriced because of the crumbling cliff face. http://tinyurl.com/ydbng9c

Last edited by aries; May 24th 2011 at 7:50 am.
aries is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 12:36 pm
  #702  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Angeles City, Philippines
Posts: 117
Paul B will become famous soon enoughPaul B will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by johnh009 View Post
I went to Hereford this weekend for the first time. Anyone who says the UK is overcrowded should travel around Herefordshire. Not spectacular, but very pleasant. It reminded me of how England used to be. The good points that is.
You only have to fly over the UK to see just how much green stuff there is left between towns and cities. Unfortunatly the British propensity for building miniature houses crowded in three inches from your neighbour makes the country feel small and over crowded.

I saw an article recently that showed the UK has by far the smallest homes in the EU, indeed the western world. They're tiny!

And they're bloody expensive!
Paul B is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 1:24 pm
  #703  
Finally Home!
 
sallysimmons's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Used to be New York, now North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,610
sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

I think the small houses and gardens are a good thing. It's why Britain has such beautiful countryside.

Why would being near a church be a problem? Don't forget, very few people actually go to church in the UK, so there's not much action there. We lived across the road from a church growing up and it was lovely. Very peaceful to look out on.
sallysimmons is offline  
Old May 24th 2011, 2:31 pm
  #704  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Now Devon
Posts: 947
aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
You only have to fly over the UK to see just how much green stuff there is left between towns and cities. Unfortunatly the British propensity for building miniature houses crowded in three inches from your neighbour makes the country feel small and over crowded.

I saw an article recently that showed the UK has by far the smallest homes in the EU, indeed the western world. They're tiny!

And they're bloody expensive!
The average home does appear to be tiny, and looking at flats on the internet, I've seen some which make me gasp with astonishment.

Here is an interesting article, scroll down for the graph.
http://www.demographia.com/db-hsize.pdf
aries is offline  
Old May 25th 2011, 7:49 am
  #705  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by aries View Post
The average home does appear to be tiny, and looking at flats on the internet, I've seen some which make me gasp with astonishment.

Here is an interesting article, scroll down for the graph.
http://www.demographia.com/db-hsize.pdf
Thank you for that interesting report.

This is by far the thing that I struggle with the most. It is not so much the actual house size (though this is a problem for me too), but the feeling that you are surrounded by other houses with very little breathing room in many cases, and a general feeling of crowdedness.

A a result I feel that will have to choose the area I live in based upon available space rather than some of the other factors that are important to me. A bit of a dilemma .

Though it's no doubt controversial to say so, I do not feel that the UK can support mass immigration given the space that's available. It is not an issue of nationality or race, purely space. It's a bit like trying to cram people into a lift.
bandrui is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.