Location, location, location

Old May 19th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
If you are looking to buy new and, as you have said before, you can find a quality small-scale builder and one who is prepared to discount, then you could be better off under that arrangement.

As I have said before, there are a number of builders today who are building such garbage that it will be lucky to last the mortgage term. That is one of the reasons why in general it makes more sense to look for period houses as they tend to be much better built and hold their value better.
Yes, I looked at this house in Holmfirth in Yorkshire (where the TV series Last of the Summer Wine is located) and the quality was good. My only beef was that it was perhaps a bit too isolated. I felt the builder would have fared better with a different location. But, who knows, there are many who may appreciate the quietness.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true
Old May 19th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Yes, I looked at this house in Holmfirth in Yorkshire (where the TV series Last of the Summer Wine is located) and the quality was good. My only beef was that it was perhaps a bit too isolated. I felt the builder would have fared better with a different location. But, who knows, there are many who may appreciate the quietness.

You didn't say if you liked the house. I didn't like the outside of the house but it looked nicely finished inside and the town looked OK. The price was steep but you know better than me because you are there. It is close to Manchester so the the price could be justified.

Congratulations on getting those jobs, are they in the Malvern area?

I also note this is good news so it wouldn't be on the front page of the media.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

John I liked this one better for half the price of yours.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25954600.html
Old May 19th 2011, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers

Congratulations on getting those jobs, are they in the Malvern area?

No Aberdeen, I work in the oil and gas field, but I will not live up there with the polar bears. This is an improvement over my last work location which was in Kazakhstan.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Don't anyone tell anybody about us being off track. It has been so slow on 50/60's these last few days so who cares?

Sally you echo my view re: no TV in the UK when I return.

For the last two hours I have been on YouTube and the one thing I found just made me feel like I died and went to heaven. It is a clip of scenery and chuffers(trains) of the East Lancashire Railway. Oh man does it bring back memories but I think these films were made recently but the scenery and environment is the greatest. I want to be on the next stage out of Dodge.

Take a look see and see if they have the same effect on you. I had never heard of East Lancs Railway until a few minutes ago. Its really nice that Englishmen have access to the latest video equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpGNm...eature=related
I hated steam trains, if someone left a window open and we went through a tunnel, the dirty smoke came in, and the same when water was collected. My dad loved them, he had many LPs of train sounds, and when he played them, our house sounded as if we were living on a bridge over a busy railway line

John I liked this one better for half the price of yours.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25954600.html
The price and facilities are what I'm looking for in a flat, but in the south.

Last edited by aries; May 20th 2011 at 12:21 am.
Old May 20th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-22570507.html

My latest find

£185,000 and this is what I call a real cottage.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

From my point of view, I don't regard this as negativity, I just like to be aware of what is happening - good and bad. I respect and enjoy reading all opinions on this thread, it would be boring if we all behaved like the proverbial nodding dog in the back of the car. I'll see if I can find some good news in the UK - may be difficult though. I will say one thing, I have found the job market here quite active and have managed to land two jobs in quick succession. Don't know if the market is picking up or just luck.
I have to agree with this. There is a big difference between sharing information (all be it not so positive) and sharing the type of negative editorial comment, for want of a better phrase, that the Daily Mail espouses.

We would all be wise to at least inform ourselves. This is not complaining. Or we can ignore it and act us though nothing is happening.

It is certainly a different world than the one we grew up in and I have to say that I agree that Democracy is not what I see happening either.

It will take some creativity to find the lifestyle that we seek within the confines of this changing world. I see that as the real challenge.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

No Aberdeen, I work in the oil and gas field, but I will not live up there with the polar bears. This is an improvement over my last work location which was in Kazakhstan.
There's a guy on BE who works in the same business in the North Sea who commutes from somewhere in the Costa Del Sol, talking of Location.
Old May 20th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Love this, although the inside is a bit cluttered.

This one:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33822560.html

A beautiful village close to where I'm from:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31281629.html

Love Bradford on Avon:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33657251.html
Old May 20th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nethead

Fast choice would be #1. Very English. You said cluttered but that will probably sell the place because the clutter is quality.
What do I know??

Order of preference 1,2,3,4

Thanks for the research!

Cheers

Last edited by cheers; May 20th 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-22570507.html

My latest find

£185,000 and this is what I call a real cottage.
Yes, that's a good one Cheers. I may need to consider Wales to get the kind of space I am looking for at an affordable price and it seems, according to sales statistics, that many other people are considering this too.

Last edited by bandrui; May 20th 2011 at 8:13 pm.
Old May 20th 2011, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nethead
Welcome Nethead. Thanks for posting some new properties for the mix. All great locations... at least an area that I could happily live in.

The first is wonderful... a bit over budget for me.
The second I felt was quite a bit overpriced but perhaps due to area.
The third, I wished the woodstove was in the main sitting room.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The second one is 4 bedrooms with two receptions knocked into one, a big kitchen and a utility room for £275K - that seems incredibly cheap to me. Victorian terraces that size are £350K+ in Kendal.
Old May 20th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Yes, that's a good one Cheers. I may need to consider Wales to get the kind of space I am looking for at an affordable price and it seems, according to sales statistics, that many other people are considering this too.
The bathroom needs to modernized and then whats interesting is the old fashioned kitchen. We use to call our living room the kitchen and then we had the back kitchen so here you see they probably used their living room for the kitchen because the stove is the old fashioned stove, I think, which is also the fireplace. All it needs is a big chain with a kettle on it.

This is my price range (why pay more?)
Old May 20th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The bathroom needs to modernized and then whats interesting is the old fashioned kitchen. We use to call our living room the kitchen and then we had the back kitchen so here you see they probably used their living room for the kitchen because the stove is the old fashioned stove, I think, which is also the fireplace. All it needs is a big chain with a kettle on it.

This is my price range (why pay more?)
Indeed. I really like the idea of having space around me. Couldn't live with someone else right on top of me. And when we are thinking of distances to get to other places, it's still nothing to the distances we tend to travel here in N. America.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.