A few piccies of UK...

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few piccies of UK...

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Realised I had posted two the same Won't let me edit - sorry, tired eyes, pic attached.

Scarborough Castle

MM
What a lovely picture

You'd have thought they'd finished building it after all these years
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:08 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I suspect if your ancestors went to australia only 150 years ago i.e. after 1850 they were unlikely to be convicts. The huge bulk of immigration in this period was legal and following the gold rush the population exploded.

It always amazes me how so many australians seem to believe they were all criminals but in reality the proportions were only high in the period from late 17th century to around 1835 and even so the numbers were tiny. Even during this period 1 in 5 were soldiers and officials of the British state trying to run the place. Criminals were largely stopped after 1850 but not completely as Brits thought Australia was then to good for convicts given people were moving their willingly and paying their own way.

Sorry for the history lesson but just makes me laugh when aussies make dubious claims about their ancestors. Bit like all the americans paying private investigators to "discover" they are related to Edward I.

Originally Posted by wombat42
The Queen still rules over OZ which makes me a British subject and my ancestors 150 years ago were British expats, although not by choice.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 1:03 am
Badge

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
I think "people" do get "wound up something silly" when dealing with emotions, a breaking heart and homesickness

This Forum is one of the few places people can let off steam so to speak and should be allowed to without childish comments and jibes by some thoughtless folk.

I have rarely seen any form of "whinging" on this part of the Forum, in fact it is very supportive.

Wildmark, whilst you have the right to exercise your free speech I would recommend that you learn some of the fundamental facts about common courtesy and diplomacy. Too many people have commented on your lack of respect.

You are obviously a bright guy as you have your own business and are wanting to set up business in Oz.

If I was your customer and you spoke to me in the manner you have on here to fellow posters, I would take my business elsewhere and certainly would not sing your praises to others . . . what goes around comes around you know and as much as Australia is a big place it can be village.

MM
Now we are less emotive, I kind of see where Wildmark is coming from with the ''double standards'', I raise an eyebrow with amusement myself, on certain posts, especially with rose tints, but most of the regular posters now in here(on the UK) are all decent people and don't deserve it down their throats in an overtly aggressive manner nor actually post negatively on the aussie forum. There is no crime in being homesick!

Badge

Old Oct 4th 2005, 1:09 am
Badge

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz

It is, afterall, the "going back to UK" forum
This has been said before - I think the problem is, that the negativity gets posted on the Aussie forum where of course, there is more of a 2-way debate (by defintion). Some times people can't resist to put the balance in everywhere.

Badge

Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Badge
Now we are less emotive, I kind of see where Wildmark is coming from with the ''double standards'', I raise an eyebrow with amusement myself, on certain posts, especially with rose tints, but most of the regular posters now in here(on the UK) are all decent people and don't deserve it down their throats in an overtly aggressive manner nor actually post negatively on the aussie forum. There is no crime in being homesick!

Badge
I was going to leave this alone as every time I post a response I get slated, rather than engaging in a debate it turns into a slanging match from every internet commando under the sun, who dont post constructive arguments, just insults, but I must admit I got very aggressive (and I apologise), not at first (if you read the threads)- only after being abused via the web and via threatening Pm's, there is a saying "there is always two sides to a story" and everyone has different opinions, if your not prepared to accept this, then you living in dreamworld.

I'll now go back under my country footbridge as was suggested on a very interesting PM which I wont bother posting a copy as I don't want to embarrass that person.

Mark
Old Oct 4th 2005, 3:50 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all
Question Re: A few piccies of UK...

Did i miss something ?

Where's the pics
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:11 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fitz750
Did i miss something ?

Where's the pics
Plenty through the thread, just do a look through.

May I suggest to those that want to discuss anything other than "A few piccies of UK ....." that you start up another thread Lets leave this to pictures only.

I am personally fed up of this thread being hijacked now - I think we have all had our say (including me).

MM
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:14 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

My point exactly
Old Oct 4th 2005, 4:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

OK, first time I've tried posting a picture so here goes...

This is a picture of my dog looking over her old haunts before we left to return to the States in 2001. In the background is Dumgoyne, a volcanic plug. At the base of Dumgoyne is the Glengoyne whisky distillery. It's the middle of winter, so a little drab.

We used to walk all over the hills - my front door was about a one-miute walk from the nearest country footpath.
Attached Thumbnails A few piccies of UK...-dumgoyne.jpg  
Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:14 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely doggie....can't see too much of behind but looks nice..!!I love Scotland..what I have seen of it so far..!!
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A few piccies of UK...

Nothing wrong with the cold....no better feeling than coming home after walking the dog into a lovely warm house.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 8:09 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, first time I've tried posting a picture so here goes...

This is a picture of my dog looking over her old haunts before we left to return to the States in 2001. In the background is Dumgoyne, a volcanic plug. At the base of Dumgoyne is the Glengoyne whisky distillery. It's the middle of winter, so a little drab.

We used to walk all over the hills - my front door was about a one-miute walk from the nearest country footpath.
Lovely, thanks for sharing
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:26 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Pants,

Thankyou for your photos. You are a shining light of hope and compassion and your posts/threads leave a nice impression on me.

It is sad that this thread was pulled into the mire (again!) by one or two unhappy people. Nevermind. An old friend of mine gave me some great advice once. He said that if someone is nasty toward you, say a prayer for them (or wish nice things for them, hold them to the light, whatever). It is very hard to do (it gets easier...), but it keeps the hate out of you and maybe, just maybe, will help the person resove their own hatred (often self-hatred).

Keep on posting your lovely photos. To retain the flavour of your original post here is my tuppence worth (taken in Chester - one of my old home towns!).

Steve
Attached Thumbnails A few piccies of UK...-im000099.jpg  

Last edited by ShozInOz; Oct 10th 2005 at 6:24 am.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:34 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Denise,

Thankyou for your photos. You are a shining light of hope and compassion and your posts/threads leave a nice impression on me.

It is sad that this thread was pulled into the mire (again!) by one or two unhappy people. Nevermind. An old friend of mine gave me some great advice once. He said that if someone is nasty toward you, say a prayer for them (or wish nice things for them, hold them to the light, whatever). It is very hard to do (it gets easier...), but it keeps the hate out of you and maybe, just maybe, will help the person resove their own hatred (often self-hatred).

Keep on posting your lovely photos. To retain the flavour of your original post here is my tuppence worth (taken in Chester - one of my old home towns!).

Steve
Blimey, I thought they where all outside crappy theme pubs over here (US) now
Old Oct 10th 2005, 6:39 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Pants,

Steve

Thanks Steve for the kind words.

I too have been taught about light etc.....I will try my best with some of the unhappy dark peeps.

Love the photo

If I get a chance on my job travels I will take some pics of some country pubs, tearooms etc....until then keep happy and stay positive

P

P.S I hope Baby and Mum are doing ok.

Last edited by Pants; Oct 10th 2005 at 6:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.